• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Chat Waker - Toon Link social

CURRY

Smash Journeyman
Artemis was absolutely amazing. She makes me so proud to call myself a Tink main. ^^ I just discovered her today during that match and I've just done research since then. She's inspired to me to work harder at him.
HUH WUT
ARTEMIS IS A SHE??

It's like the time I saw a video of IRL Shaya when I thought that he was a female the whole time.

EDIT:
I just realized that my name... isn't purple anymore... :/
Durn. It lasted for like, a month or something so I thought it would go on forever.

Last edited:

CURRY

Smash Journeyman
You guys are shocked? Hey you guys are the ones who made the assumptions, I never said or implied anything about my sex except my tag was originally a girl name (now more neutral even though guys already have a version of this name, 'Artemus'). :p Was hoping I could keep it a secret, was pretty funny how it lasted so long. I've been on stream at major and major-ish tournies that other Gay mains like in the Skype chat watched enough times that I didn't think people were ever going to figure it out, too bad it ended up getting blown at what's probably my last Smash 4 tourney lol. Glad it seems people were entertained at least with the match against Dapuffster, had people coming up to me to congratulate me for it the rest of the weekend and got tagged in a bunch of posts on Smash Boards commenting on the set, and people I regularly play with told me it was the best they've ever seen me play. I think it was a nice way for my last tourney to go, even if it also makes me wish I could go to more because that det was so fun.

Unfortunately Smash isn't really doable for me anymore, since my ability to focus or even remember really basic things (like the rules and what each button does) has completely deteriorated over the past few months. I've had a lot of really strange health issues that have kept popping up my entire life like this, which about a month or so ago I found out are caused by lyme disease. I'll be starting treatment tomorrow, which will make Smash even more impossible than it already was because lyme bacteria dying off causes symptoms to worsen because of the toxins the dead bacteris release, and it's most likely going to be years before I get significantly better. Only reason I've been able to play Smash at all was because I was taking massive doses of one of my medicines to get high before tournies so my head would clear up (it makes a pretty huge difference, the way I played not even two hours before wasn't even comparable), but I doubt that would work if my brain fog were any worse + I'd much rather be using my medicine for its actual job rather than to be somewhat functional at tournies. Just wish there were more awareness of lyme, too many people go years or even decades without a diagnsosis, allowing the disease to become severe to the point where it causes irreversible health problems and in some cases even death.
But speaking of brain fog, that's also why the stickied guide and the second post of the MU thread have been hardly updated in months. I recently gave responsibility for them to Foxy, so hopefully they should be getting updated more.

But going to really miss going to tournies, though at least I doubt I'll be missing much anyway since my region is banning customs after Evo. Vanilla Smash 4 is an absolute joke lol.

Don't apologize. If I cared I would've said something a long time ago lol

The colour was really fitting for you and your name looks so unnatural now. I hope you get pranked again. :p
Oh crap. My condolences about your situation.
Like any other person on the Internet though, it's still really hard to sympathize with someone you don't really know, but you were still a pretty cool person on this board. The day that you are well and active again will be greeted with a warm welcome (from the few of us that are here, lol)

And uhh... can I have a link to Artemis's set from someone?

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
You guys are shocked? Hey you guys are the ones who made the assumptions, I never said or implied anything about my sex except my tag was originally a girl name (now more neutral even though guys already have a version of this name, 'Artemus'). :p Was hoping I could keep it a secret, was pretty funny how it lasted so long. I've been on stream at major and major-ish tournies that other Gay mains like in the Skype chat watched enough times that I didn't think people were ever going to figure it out, too bad it ended up getting blown at what's probably my last Smash 4 tourney lol. Glad it seems people were entertained at least with the match against Dapuffster, had people coming up to me to congratulate me for it the rest of the weekend and got tagged in a bunch of posts on Smash Boards commenting on the set, and people I regularly play with told me it was the best they've ever seen me play. I think it was a nice way for my last tourney to go, even if it also makes me wish I could go to more because that det was so fun.

Unfortunately Smash isn't really doable for me anymore, since my ability to focus or even remember really basic things (like the rules and what each button does) has completely deteriorated over the past few months. I've had a lot of really strange health issues that have kept popping up my entire life like this, which about a month or so ago I found out are caused by lyme disease. I'll be starting treatment tomorrow, which will make Smash even more impossible than it already was because lyme bacteria dying off causes symptoms to worsen because of the toxins the dead bacteris release, and it's most likely going to be years before I get significantly better. Only reason I've been able to play Smash at all was because I was taking massive doses of one of my medicines to get high before tournies so my head would clear up (it makes a pretty huge difference, the way I played not even two hours before wasn't even comparable), but I doubt that would work if my brain fog were any worse + I'd much rather be using my medicine for its actual job rather than to be somewhat functional at tournies. Just wish there were more awareness of lyme, too many people go years or even decades without a diagnsosis, allowing the disease to become severe to the point where it causes irreversible health problems and in some cases even death.
But speaking of brain fog, that's also why the stickied guide and the second post of the MU thread have been hardly updated in months. I recently gave responsibility for them to Foxy, so hopefully they should be getting updated more.

But going to really miss going to tournies, though at least I doubt I'll be missing much anyway since my region is banning customs after Evo. Vanilla Smash 4 is an absolute joke lol.

Don't apologize. If I cared I would've said something a long time ago lol

The colour was really fitting for you and your name looks so unnatural now. I hope you get pranked again. :p
Yow, my condolences. Just goes to show you how lucky with things we take for granted. Hope you get better, but at least you caught it before it got too severe.

Yellow9

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1762-3359-5745
Hey guys, I'm kinda new here. Just curious on anyones opinion on what kind of buff Toon should get in the next patch, if we are to get.

Also, does anyone have any good tips for psyching out opponents with bombs? I know that you can throw one behind you and catch it at the peak of your second jump, and catching them once they bounce off a Sheild, but that's about it. I've been watching some of Yackabean's fights and he is crazy with his bomb catches and throws.

Also, that sucks Artemis. Hope you get better real quick.

Dɛαd

ヽ(=^・ω・^=)丿
NNID
Dead_MK
3DS FC
3539-9682-8374
Hey guys, I'm kinda new here. Just curious on anyones opinion on what kind of buff Toon should get in the next patch, if we are to get.
Bair: Less Ending Lag
DThrow: now a throw combo
Zair: Less Ending lag
DSmash: Buff KB and change the angle(like it was in Brawl)

With this we could get crazy combos like DThrow to U tilt to bair

Last edited:

Moffe

Smash Apprentice
toon link with throw combo would make him insta high tier, you can easily trap people with bombs and make them shield, then go grab, and then you get a combo ontop? XD that would be crazy

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

@ PSIBoy PSIBoy @ Yukiwarashi Yukiwarashi @ CURRY CURRY here's the video you guys asked for with myself vs Dapuffster. Sorry I don't have the non-mobile link, hopefully it'll still work. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QchAKBo6JIQ

I normally use the default costume for Gay rather than the Dark one since all of Gay's costumes are awesome and it's hard to pick one, but people judge female smashers over the most absurd **** (gotten really dumb comments over things like my Brawl main, missing a tech from a stage spike I couldn't react to and didn't predict, and even for always using red costumes because 'too close to pink'), so I went for the most 'masculine' one to at least ultra extremely slightly minimize the chances of dumb judginess. I'd probably use the purple one more often too because it's the gayest and most fitting for our main, but it's not funny when a female uses it and purple is my least favourite colour anyway. So yeah, I apolgize for not repping our main's true fabulousness.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yellow9

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1762-3359-5745
Imagine the potential of D-Throw to U-smash. So good. But yeah, the Z-air does need less lag. The back air too. I just feel like he's a bit slow for a character who's a lightweight. I just feel like they need to speed him up a little.

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
@ PSIBoy PSIBoy @ Yukiwarashi Yukiwarashi @ CURRY CURRY here's the video you guys asked for with myself vs Dapuffster. Sorry I don't have the non-mobile link, hopefully it'll still work. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QchAKBo6JIQ
Man, that was intense. Still, the second match... Man, I could imagine the heartbreak that came with such a defeat like that. Other than not always punishing, I fail to see how you could've done better.

I normally use the default costume for Gay rather than the Dark one since all of Gay's costumes are awesome and it's hard to pick one, but people judge female smashers over the most absurd **** (gotten really dumb comments over things like my Brawl main, missing a tech from a stage spike I couldn't react to and didn't predict, and even for always using red costumes because 'too close to pink'), so I went for the most 'masculine' one to at least ultra extremely slightly minimize the chances of dumb judginess. I'd probably use the purple one more often too because it's the gayest and most fitting for our main, but it's not funny when a female uses it and purple is my least favourite colour anyway. So yeah, I apolgize for not repping our main's true fabulousness.
Things like this makes me wonder... Do people even realize they're being sexist when they are? 'Cause a lot of their reasoning for picking on you is bull, I agree. And don't worry about the color: I don't think that really matters in the end.

Arc_Thunder

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ichuchu
Hello! I thought I would join this social since I secondary Toon Link.
Also what are some good tactics when using Toon Link?

Last edited:

genandnic

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1177-6683-5828
Was anyone here watching Smash Factor 4? There was an amazing Toon Link player by the name of Hyuga who took third place after a going back and forth a few matches with Mr. R in loser's finals. I don't think I've ever seen a crowd more hype for Smash 4; they took turns two-stocking one another and I was surprised to see my main doing so well in tournament. The match-up between the two is looking pretty even, considering how easily Sheik gets juggled by TL.

And right afterwards Mr. R got two stocked three times by Leo, an amazing Meta Knight main. The hype in the venue was unreal. One of the best tournaments I've seen yet.

Last edited:

LotadAlittle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BillyWhizz
check out the AT list if you haven't already, there's some really useful stuff on there. The one thing that I think is most important for toon link is jump cancel glide/bomb toss, you probably know that already but if you don't check it out on the AT list. you can use that for a lot of true combos eg. bomb to fair/up air/nair/perfect pivot u tilt (to start an up tilt string) etc.
If you wanna try verse me then I'm free pretty much all the time right now. I'm on my summer holiday and all my friends have gone places where they have no internet:c
NNID: BillyWhizz

Arc_Thunder

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ichuchu
check out the AT list if you haven't already, there's some really useful stuff on there. The one thing that I think is most important for toon link is jump cancel glide/bomb toss, you probably know that already but if you don't check it out on the AT list. you can use that for a lot of true combos eg. bomb to fair/up air/nair/perfect pivot u tilt (to start an up tilt string) etc.
If you wanna try verse me then I'm free pretty much all the time right now. I'm on my summer holiday and all my friends have gone places where they have no internet:c
NNID: BillyWhizz
K I can probably play later.

Dɛαd

ヽ(=^・ω・^=)丿
NNID
Dead_MK
3DS FC
3539-9682-8374
Was anyone here watching Smash Factor 4? There was an amazing Toon Link player by the name of Hyuga who took third place after a going back and forth a few matches with Mr. R in loser's finals. I don't think I've ever seen a crowd more hype for Smash 4; they took turns two-stocking one another and I was surprised to see my main doing so well in tournament. The match-up between the two is looking pretty even, considering how easily Sheik gets juggled by TL.

And right afterwards Mr. R got two stocked three times by Leo, an amazing Meta Knight main. The hype in the venue was unreal. One of the best tournaments I've seen yet.
I agree, but Sheik MU its not even at all, I can say the Mexican TL knows the MU VERY well, better than us actually. Zan still having hard time vs K9's Sheik. (I'm probably wrong but meh)

Last edited:

Artmastercorey

Smash Journeyman
Seems like as some character are becoming less laggy since the latest 1.09 patch toon is sorta feeling slower to me now. It feels more like a struggle to win with him as Im seeing alot of character can throw out attacks, and shield before TL has a chance to punish. Link doesnt suffer from all the attack cool down lag/landing lag TL gets oddly for some reason though.

Last edited:

Dɛαd

ヽ(=^・ω・^=)丿
NNID
Dead_MK
3DS FC
3539-9682-8374
Seems like as some character are becoming less laggy since the latest 1.09 patch toon is sorta feeling slower to me now. It feels more like a struggle to win with him as Im seeing alot of character can throw out attacks, and shield before TL has a chance to punish. Link doesnt suffer from all the attack cool down lag/landing lag TL gets oddly for some reason though.
Yes and I hope they will give a buff in the next patch since we got only nerf since the first.

Less ending lag on our dair or bair...
Kreygasm

Retlaf

Smash Apprentice
Oh man this was both awesome and painful to watch. Awesome because you made dapuffster look like a garbage player that can do nothing but spam upB to fish for random kills, and painful because the move is so good that it pays off for him. Man, if this guy used any other character, it would be ugly.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Oh man this was both awesome and painful to watch. Awesome because you made dapuffster look like a garbage player that can do nothing but spam upB to fish for random kills, and painful because the move is so good that it pays off for him. Man, if this guy used any other character, it would be ugly.
Hi

Sorry it was my first time playing for a couple days and I got the livestream jitters. Why don't you tell me I'm a garbage player to my face.

Oh I had testicular cancer too the whole time but lets not consider that

Sure is amazing how that garbage play style got me to 13th place.

Like, can we be real here for a moment and not judge me off of one set? Please?

#namesearch

exposed by Fox

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Oh joy, 1.1.0 coming up. RIP Gay/Tofu
Imagine the potential of D-Throw to U-smash. So good. But yeah, the Z-air does need less lag. The back air too. I just feel like he's a bit slow for a character who's a lightweight. I just feel like they need to speed him up a little.
I've gotten dthrow>usmash to work as a mix-up on fast fallers at low %s.
Things like this makes me wonder... Do people even realize they're being sexist when they are? 'Cause a lot of their reasoning for picking on you is bull, I agree. And don't worry about the color: I don't think that really matters in the end.
I had a thought-out reply I was going to type, but was too out of it to actually type it, and have now forgotten what it was lol. But yeah, there seems to be a bizarre intolerance for femininity among a lot of smashers (which would explain why trans people assigned male at birth are treated especially badly in the community while there seems to be a surpriaing amount of respect for trans people AFAB even when we haven't transitioned), so a lot of smashers see anything that could possibly show femininity from a female as things that "prove" that we must just be playing for attention or something. I'm sure they're aware of it, especially since it's usually followed by some garbage about how "there are no real female smashers". They probably nitpick because they want ro continue to hold on to that belief, so I don't give them anything to nitpick.
The Q&A thread is a thing.

Considering the ridiculously poor range and start-up on utilt, along with Sheik's unpunishability, Sheik should never get hit by our utilt. Also, other characters have a much easier time comboinf Sheik than we do.
Hi

Sorry it was my first time playing for a couple days and I got the livestream jitters. Why don't you tell me I'm a garbage player to my face.

Oh I had testicular cancer too the whole time but lets not consider that

Sure is amazing how that garbage play style got me to 13th place.

Like, can we be real here for a moment and not judge me off of one set? Please?

#namesearch

exposed by Fox
Dapuffster? Ggs again, fun matches even if people want to be an ass to you for how you played. You did what it took to win, anyone who wants to complain about your strategy is dumb. That said, no johns. I have lyme disease that affects my brain severely to the point where I have to OD on my medicine to get high to have any ability whatsoever to function and not forget where I am or brainlessly mash B the entire match, and hadn't played in a week before Evo either, but you don't hear me johning about it. :p
By the way, do you wifi? Customs on of course, anything else would be dumb. But would love to play you again, especially since it's going to be a very long time before I can go to a tourney or anything again since lyme treatment has me completely stuck in bed (I've left the house only once since Evo and can barely move my knees most of the time), so I could really use the practice with good people so I don't come back ridiculously rusty in a year or two or whatever. I want to mess around with different sets and stages against MB too.
That really stinks about the cancer btw. Hopefully it isn't too bad?

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Oh joy, 1.1.0 coming up. RIP Gay/Tofu

Dapuffster? Ggs again, fun matches even if people want to be an *** to you for how you played. You did what it took to win, anyone who wants to complain about your strategy is dumb. That said, no johns. I have lyme disease that affects my brain severely to the point where I have to OD on my medicine to get high to have any ability whatsoever to function and not forget where I am or brainlessly mash B the entire match, and hadn't played in a week before Evo either, but you don't hear me johning about it. :p
By the way, do you wifi? Customs on of course, anything else would be dumb. But would love to play you again, especially since it's going to be a very long time before I can go to a tourney or anything again since lyme treatment has me completely stuck in bed (I've left the house only once since Evo and can barely move my knees most of the time), so I could really use the practice with good people so I don't come back ridiculously rusty in a year or two or whatever. I want to mess around with different sets and stages against MB too.
That really stinks about the cancer btw. Hopefully it isn't too bad?
Yeah, I totally respect you as a player, just not the people who think they need to trash talk when they know little about me and its none of their business.
I was unaware that you had major problems as well, I didn't mean to downplay you at all, I was merely just saying that my performance was a little sloppy that match and I relied on the Helicopter Kick more than I usually do.
I personally think if your medical conditions take a toll on you, you have every right to john about it. My doctors recommended me that I skip EVO, but I didn't listen to them and I delayed my surgery a week and kept the cancer in my body as I went to EVO. I could've let it spread and that put a toll on my mind. All just because I wanted to play Mii Brawler in a national for one time. So you could just imagine I wanted to really make that one time count.

Regardless, I'm going to be fine, I got my surgery, I was bed ridden for a few days and im better now, though Im going to see my doctor again tomorrow to figure out if there is any more procedure to be done. However, I am in no risk of dying, so that's good.

Anyways, I do wifi and it would be nice to get some rematches against you. I personally see TL as a bad matchup for Mii brawler, mostly because TL is good at not getting grabbed, so don't be surprised if I pull out other characters to combat against you better.

Thanks again for understanding. It's just a shame other people have to feel the need to be assholes and ***** about me for doing what I had to do.

D

Deleted member

Guys, so I just thought of this idea. I honestly completely forgot that alarms can't set themselves on fire and was spending a while looking through the settings to get my phone to do it. Bur what if alarms could set themselves on fire? Like for heavy sleepers the phone could flame up so you smell it then freak out and wake up for the alarm going off, could come with its own built-in "fire alarm" if the smell isn't enough or even just set off your real fire alarm. Or your fire alarm could double as an alarm clock that sets itself on fire. It would really wake people up and we would never need the snooze feature ever again either. Idk why this isn't a thing yet. What cool technology stuff do you guys think of? Like we could have our own company for Gay mains to advance great technological ideas: "Gay Institute of Technologies". We could be Git and also Gud maybe somehow, and our technology would really git gud just like a real Smash player.
Yeah, I totally respect you as a player, just not the people who think they need to trash talk when they know little about me and its none of their business.
I was unaware that you had major problems as well, I didn't mean to downplay you at all, I was merely just saying that my performance was a little sloppy that match and I relied on the Helicopter Kick more than I usually do.
I personally think if your medical conditions take a toll on you, you have every right to john about it. My doctors recommended me that I skip EVO, but I didn't listen to them and I delayed my surgery a week and kept the cancer in my body as I went to EVO. I could've let it spread and that put a toll on my mind. All just because I wanted to play Mii Brawler in a national for one time. So you could just imagine I wanted to really make that one time count.

Regardless, I'm going to be fine, I got my surgery, I was bed ridden for a few days and im better now, though Im going to see my doctor again tomorrow to figure out if there is any more procedure to be done. However, I am in no risk of dying, so that's good.

Anyways, I do wifi and it would be nice to get some rematches against you. I personally see TL as a bad matchup for Mii brawler, mostly because TL is good at not getting grabbed, so don't be surprised if I pull out other characters to combat against you better.

Thanks again for understanding. It's just a shame other people have to feel the need to be ******** and ***** about me for doing what I had to do.
Ouch, sounds scary with the surgery delay thing. Understandable with going to Evo anyway though. I did the same sort of thing with delaying my lyme treatment a week so I could go to Evo (lyme treatment makes you loads sicker, so going to Evo while taking medicine for it wasn't an option) especially since I wanted to play custom Gay at a national tourney. The doctors and everyone I mentioned it to thought I was crazy for it lol especially since lyme can cause serious problems like death at this point, though I also didn't have much choice since I only finally got the diagnsosis a month or so before Evo so I couldn't just drop out. But Mii Brawler has it way worse than Gay with customs being banned though, especially when the character itself ends up banned. What are you going to do now that customs are gone in most places (and I assume tristate as well)? Like personally I wouldn't play vanilla but I'm a wifi warrior regardless now anyway, so that seems like a crappy situation for offline Mii Brawler mains.

Good stuff that you got the surgery and sounds like it went well. Hopefully that ends up being the end of it with that, sounds like really rough stuff.

Yeah a lot of people think Gay beats their character, trust me he's just annoying to deal with lol. If you can force him into the air it's pretty easy to grab him when he lands since his airspeed is so slow. That reminds me, you said you thought 2113 (fire arrows and short-fuse bombs) was the better set against MB, right? I forgot to ask before, but just curious on the reasons. I've mostly been using them against aerial and/or laggy characters like Jiggz, Kirby, and Ganon, but have been meaning to test them out more against other characters. I'll have to give them a try when we play, and will probably try out other sets too. Probably will try 2121 (a horizontal spin attack) as well, which is normally my go-to set but I tend to get nervous and make a lot of mistakes with it in tourney matches, and it's not exactly a forgiving upb if you make a mistake with it. Not totally sure how useful that upb would be against MB in the first place though so I'll have to test it out.

When would be a good day/time to wifi?

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Guys, so I just thought of this idea. I honestly completely forgot that alarms can't set themselves on fire and was spending a while looking through the settings to get my phone to do it. Bur what if alarms could set themselves on fire? Like for heavy sleepers the phone could flame up so you smell it then freak out and wake up for the alarm going off, could come with its own built-in "fire alarm" if the smell isn't enough or even just set off your real fire alarm. Or your fire alarm could double as an alarm clock that sets itself on fire. It would really wake people up and we would never need the snooze feature ever again either. Idk why this isn't a thing yet.
Sounds like a fire hazard XD.

CURRY

Smash Journeyman
Guys, so I just thought of this idea. I honestly completely forgot that alarms can't set themselves on fire and was spending a while looking through the settings to get my phone to do it. Bur what if alarms could set themselves on fire? Like for heavy sleepers the phone could flame up so you smell it then freak out and wake up for the alarm going off, could come with its own built-in "fire alarm" if the smell isn't enough or even just set off your real fire alarm. Or your fire alarm could double as an alarm clock that sets itself on fire. It would really wake people up and we would never need the snooze feature ever again either. Idk why this isn't a thing yet. What cool technology stuff do you guys think of? Like we could have our own company for Gay mains to advance great technological ideas: "Gay Institute of Technologies". We could be Git and also Gud maybe somehow, and our technology would really git gud just like a real Smash player.

Ouch, sounds scary with the surgery delay thing. Understandable with going to Evo anyway though. I did the same sort of thing with delaying my lyme treatment a week so I could go to Evo (lyme treatment makes you loads sicker, so going to Evo while taking medicine for it wasn't an option) especially since I wanted to play custom Gay at a national tourney. The doctors and everyone I mentioned it to thought I was crazy for it lol especially since lyme can cause serious problems like death at this point, though I also didn't have much choice since I only finally got the diagnsosis a month or so before Evo so I couldn't just drop out. But Mii Brawler has it way worse than Gay with customs being banned though, especially when the character itself ends up banned. What are you going to do now that customs are gone in most places (and I assume tristate as well)? Like personally I wouldn't play vanilla but I'm a wifi warrior regardless now anyway, so that seems like a crappy situation for offline Mii Brawler mains.

Good stuff that you got the surgery and sounds like it went well. Hopefully that ends up being the end of it with that, sounds like really rough stuff.

Yeah a lot of people think Gay beats their character, trust me he's just annoying to deal with lol. If you can force him into the air it's pretty easy to grab him when he lands since his airspeed is so slow. That reminds me, you said you thought 2113 (fire arrows and short-fuse bombs) was the better set against MB, right? I forgot to ask before, but just curious on the reasons. I've mostly been using them against aerial and/or laggy characters like Jiggz, Kirby, and Ganon, but have been meaning to test them out more against other characters. I'll have to give them a try when we play, and will probably try out other sets too. Probably will try 2121 (a horizontal spin attack) as well, which is normally my go-to set but I tend to get nervous and make a lot of mistakes with it in tourney matches, and it's not exactly a forgiving upb if you make a mistake with it. Not totally sure how useful that upb would be against MB in the first place though so I'll have to test it out.

When would be a good day/time to wifi?
lol, is this idea from that time you slept on a heater and your blanket caught fire or something?
I remember you telling a story like that in the wintertime.

Ikes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Smooth_Moonman

Also, does anyone have any good tips for psyching out opponents with bombs? I know that you can throw one behind you and catch it at the peak of your second jump, and catching them once they bounce off a Sheild, but that's about it. I've been watching some of Yackabean's fights and he is crazy with his bomb catches and throws.

Also, that sucks Artemis. Hope you get better real quick.
would love it if they lowered the BKB on uthrow and a slight lowering on the KBG, it already combos at lower percents, would be nice if it combod better as well into higher percent ranges.

also, decreasing the endlag on bomb pull and boomerang would be really nice.

sorry to hear about your situation, artemis

ill be honest when I say I was hella rooting for you against dapuffster in pools at EVO, was kinda sad you drowned in pools, considering the only other EVO thing I wanted to see was Bill Trinen and he had to cancel.

At that point i just left the stream.

yooo you should fit CDI link in that poster as a little joke

Last edited:

incrediblej

Smash Apprentice
So my 3dsxl hinge broke have to get a new housing for it so I haven't played for like a week and half so yea and started school 1 week before my friends which sucks kinda

You did good at that Artemis, kinda sad that you might not play as much competitively because of lymph, was surprised to learn you live in AZ apparently, learned around April that M2K lives in AZ and he plays against him in melee

I don't really think a girl is gonna pick tink or a red color because they're girls, heck I've seen plenty of casual players that are female use characters like bowser, ganon, marth, link, dk

I think tink needs buffs on Bair, zair, bomb throw and some tilts with on those moves lag it's starting to feel like link is faster than tink in this game which is odd(I mean like combo potential and follow ups faster)

Last edited:

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
Since you're in the subject, I was thinking about getting 3DS since they're literally getting all of the games that Wii U would greatly benefit from. But any way I was thinking should I get the XL or is it a little too cumbersome? I looked at one the other day, and it looks huge.

Artmastercorey

Smash Journeyman
yeah every patch im finding it harder and harder to win competitively with toon. Usually its because of his lack of speed/ability to recover from attack puts him at a disadvantage,so I completely agree with you here.

Other things like too like....Its sorta ridiculous that you get punished for successfully down airing someone on stage since they can get up/attack right away. Not sure what the thinking was behind that. But still incredibly fun character.

incrediblej

Smash Apprentice
Since you're in the subject, I was thinking about getting 3DS since they're literally getting all of the games that Wii U would greatly benefit from. But any way I was thinking should I get the XL or is it a little too cumbersome? I looked at one the other day, and it looks huge.
It is big compared to a 3ds but it's more comfortable seeing how the buttons aren't so close to each other it's hard to switch back to 3ds for me because the 3ds feels so small compared to the xl but I say it's worth it

I hate how gimmicky every character is on this game but yet tink doesn't really live up to his gimmick of being a faster link.

To many characters have a d-throw to air which used to be something made for certain characters for them making them good now almost half the roster has one and only certain characters have good d-throw to air

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
It is big compared to a 3ds but it's more comfortable seeing how the buttons aren't so close to each other it's hard to switch back to 3ds for me because the 3ds feels so small compared to the xl but I say it's worth it

I hate how gimmicky every character is on this game but yet tink doesn't really live up to his gimmick of being a faster link.

To many characters have a d-throw to air which used to be something made for certain characters for them making them good now almost half the roster has one and only certain characters have good d-throw to air
Good to know. I didn't even think about button placements and whatnot. I guess I'll be going with the XL then. Thanks!

Idk... I feel like TL's definitely not like crazy fast but he's definitely faster than Link is. I wouldn't say TL is directly a faster version of Link but more of a "maneuverable" version of Link.

Though he is faster clearly lol

Last edited:

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
Hello, Toon Link people! I recently decided to try getting serious with Toon Link, so I thought I would drop in and say hi! Wind Waker is tied with Majora's Mask for my favorite Zelda game, and he was one of my favorite characters in Brawl (though I didn't play that game competitively), so I'm no stranger to the character. This board is very well organized; I loved the matchup thread in particular. Easily accessible write-ups for very MU discussed in the OP? Color me impressed. Hopefully I can be of some help to this board should I decide to stick to the Wind Waking Warrior.

Quick question though; sorry if it's been answered before. Why do some of the posters here refer to Toon Link as "Gay"? Is it an inside joke I am unaware of? I mean, as far as I remember, Toon Link is actually canonically married to Tetra after the events of his games, unless I am forgetting something.

LotadAlittle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BillyWhizz
Hello, Toon Link people! I recently decided to try getting serious with Toon Link, so I thought I would drop in and say hi! Wind Waker is tied with Majora's Mask for my favorite Zelda game, and he was one of my favorite characters in Brawl (though I didn't play that game competitively), so I'm no stranger to the character. This board is very well organized; I loved the matchup thread in particular. Easily accessible write-ups for very MU discussed in the OP? Color me impressed. Hopefully I can be of some help to this board should I decide to stick to the Wind Waking Warrior.

Quick question though; sorry if it's been answered before. Why do some of the posters here refer to Toon Link as "Gay"? Is it an inside joke I am unaware of? I mean, as far as I remember, Toon Link is actually canonically married to Tetra after the events of his games, unless I am forgetting something.
First of all, welcome to the tink boards! Second I think he's called 'gay' because he has a really campy play style, camp play style, *gay* play style. I don't know If that's correct though, I always kind of assumed, it would make sense though

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
That would make some sense, thanks for clearing that up. And thanks! I have a bit of an issue with sticking to a character or two but here's hoping Tink is the one.

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium

Hey there. Welcome to the Toon Link boards. Glad you enjoy Wind Waker as much as I do. It's a great game. Feel free to share any match-up thoughts or experience you might have. Always appreciated.

As for your question (and I'll help answer it for you too, @ LotadAlittle LotadAlittle ). Toon Link is sometimes referred to as "Gay" around here is in fact due to an inside joke of sorts. It originated from the Link character discussion boards as a few of them have some sort of problem with Toon Link being a part of the Smash roster along with regular Link. The reason some Toon Link mains started to go along with it and call Toon Link "Gay" as well around here is basically to show that Toon Link mains aren't intimidated by the name calling. I don't prefer to use the name myself and just stick to calling him Toon Link because I like it better, but that's the reasoning behind it.

Hopefully you'll stick around for a bit and keep messing around with Toon Link. I find him a fun character to use and he's by far my favorite on the roster. There's just something I find rewarding about mastering his playstyle.

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
Yeah the Link boards feel that TL is an abomination that must be destroyed. Especially because TL might be a little better than the original which is just salt to the wound in a sense. If you were a Link main, you would understand. When I was purely a Link main in the beginning I thought the same thing until I gave him a go. I actually really enjoy TL for the simple fact that he's similar to Link. I still main Link but now I tend to rely on TL more.

Last edited:
Top Bottom