• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Charizard Social: Merry Switchmas!

CourageHound

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4441-9748-5261
Finally broke my first shield with :4charizard: today. It was the most satifying feeling C:

Rocksmash OP

:006:
I actually broke my first shield as well yesterday c:. Although mine was from f-smash. The best part is walking a shield broken opponent to the edge and charge f-smashing again~

Grizzlpaw

Rawr~ ♪
3DS FC
1289-9519-4206
Finally beat classic mode on 9.0 today. I used char and got it on my first try <3

***Milestone Reached!***

Last edited:

Volga

Juggling Veteran
NNID
Saltytitan
3DS FC
0533-7336-5044
Hello Charizard peeps! any tips for someone trying to play this Big guy? I played him in FG today and i gotta say,i like the way he feels.

WeirdJoe27

Smash Ace
NNID
AZBros
Hello Charizard peeps! any tips for someone trying to play this Big guy? I played him in FG today and i gotta say,i like the way he feels.
Use Flamethrower and dTilt for spacing. Don't abuse Flare Blitz (great move, but ultra punishable!). Tilts are almost always better options than Smashes. Use all your jumps, they're a great tool for mixing things up. Also, your upTilt (and I believe upSmash) have anti-air properties (the wings don't have a hitbox, but do have a hurt box). upB has invincibility on start-up, so it's a good 'get off me' move. And, of course, dat Rock Smash armor!

I pretty much mentioned everything because Charizard is amazing. Sure he's a little slow, but if you're smart you can wreak some serious hazard with him. If you run into trouble, don't give up on him too quickly. Quick characters can give you trouble, but I've beaten some decent Sheiks and ZSS before (nothing is impossible in Smash!).

Jmacz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aWildJmacz
Went to my first tournament today and it didn't go to hot. Got destroyed round one vs a pacman, and had close games vs a D3. It has me really thinking about whether I should continue with Charizard, I was just getting really overwhelmed and ended up switching to Pikachu vs the D3 and had wayyyyy more sucess. Probably would of taken game two if it wasn't for an unfortunate SD on my part.

I just couldn't get out of disadvantage with Charizard, I was really relying on Nair/Flamethrower to rack up damage and it just wasn't coming quick enough. I whiffed on quite a few shield grabs which was really unfortunate, and due to all the damage I was taking my combo's stopped working because of rage. I was having a lot more success in friendlies so it may of been more about the MUs because I know we struggle with D3, but I'm not sure about Pacman. It's obviously to early to tell but I think these shield changes didn't do us many favors. Almost everyone has safe options on us when we have none outside maybe a well spaced flamethrower.

Gunna give it a little longer, but I'm getting the feeling I'll have to keep Zard as a secondary for the Mario Bros and start working on my Pikachu again. Hopefully Charizard can get a few more buffs to help him out a bit. Less frames on Fair and being able to auto cancel Bair out of a short hop would help a lot imo. Maybe a little more hitstun on our D-Throw to.

On a side note, I ****ing LOVE Delfino for Charizard. Got an up-air kill at 76% when it was still comboing out of D-Throw, felt really good.

Last edited:

AlphaOmega2000

Smash Rookie
NNID
AlphaFireOmegaTA
3DS FC
0705-3112-0821
Trust me ik how it feels I wanted to quit and after the patch but a friend of mine wanted me to stay Zard and I'm glad he said to.I never don't have fun with Zard and I'm doing pretty good in my matches.

charizardbro

Smash Apprentice
Went to my first tournament today and it didn't go to hot. Got destroyed round one vs a pacman, and had close games vs a D3. It has me really thinking about whether I should continue with Charizard, I was just getting really overwhelmed and ended up switching to Pikachu vs the D3 and had wayyyyy more sucess. Probably would of taken game two if it wasn't for an unfortunate SD on my part.

I just couldn't get out of disadvantage with Charizard, I was really relying on Nair/Flamethrower to rack up damage and it just wasn't coming quick enough. I whiffed on quite a few shield grabs which was really unfortunate, and due to all the damage I was taking my combo's stopped working because of rage. I was having a lot more success in friendlies so it may of been more about the MUs because I know we struggle with D3, but I'm not sure about Pacman. It's obviously to early to tell but I think these shield changes didn't do us many favors. Almost everyone has safe options on us when we have none outside maybe a well spaced flamethrower.

Gunna give it a little longer, but I'm getting the feeling I'll have to keep Zard as a secondary for the Mario Bros and start working on my Pikachu again. Hopefully Charizard can get a few more buffs to help him out a bit. Less frames on Fair and being able to auto cancel Bair out of a short hop would help a lot imo. Maybe a little more hitstun on our D-Throw to.

On a side note, I ****ing LOVE Delfino for Charizard. Got an up-air kill at 76% when it was still comboing out of D-Throw, felt really good.
I know the feeling man. I think MU experience and nerves could have had a lot to do with it (they sure did for me). You gotta get bodied at least once in tournament to learn MUs the hard way.

That's tough. You should go for more mixups in neutral to build damage. And if people are airdodging out of Dthrow->Fair, don't forget that you can bait and punish with Fly. The thing about the shield changes is that OoS options are generally worse but dropping shield and then doing something can actually be substantially better than it was pre patch (jabs, anyone?). We'll see though.

What stages did you play them on? I can confirm the pacman MU is super annoying if you let him take you to FD. Fruit for days. Dedede is just a bad MU in general though.

Jmacz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aWildJmacz
I know the feeling man. I think MU experience and nerves could have had a lot to do with it (they sure did for me). You gotta get bodied at least once in tournament to learn MUs the hard way.

That's tough. You should go for more mixups in neutral to build damage. And if people are airdodging out of Dthrow->Fair, don't forget that you can bait and punish with Fly. The thing about the shield changes is that OoS options are generally worse but dropping shield and then doing something can actually be substantially better than it was pre patch (jabs, anyone?). We'll see though.

What stages did you play them on? I can confirm the pacman MU is super annoying if you let him take you to FD. Fruit for days. Dedede is just a bad MU in general though.

Yeah I just couldn't mix them up enough, especially the Pacman. He had me in the air most of the time so I was really predictable. I chose stage every one of my games. I picked T&C game 1 because he banned Dreamland and Battlefield. Game two was on Delfino because I was hoping to get an early kill on him. Second series vs the D3 was on Town and City, then I went to Lyatt with Pikachu.

I went for few Fly's but most were misses, are you still able to get the fly when they DI away? That's what most people seem to do and especially with Rage it doesn't seem like I can get to them. It was just really discouraging to have to fight so hard with Charizard just to keep it close against the D3, to completely overwhelming him with Pikachu that I hadn't even been practicing.

Last edited:

charizardbro

Smash Apprentice
Yeah I just couldn't mix them up enough, especially the Pacman. He had me in the air most of the time so I was really predictable. I chose stage every one of my games. I picked T&C game 1 because he banned Dreamland and Battlefield. Game two was on Delfino because I was hoping to get an early kill on him. Second series vs the D3 was on Town and City, then I went to Lyatt with Pikachu.

I went for few Fly's but most were misses, are you still able to get the fly when they DI away? That's what most people seem to do and especially with Rage it doesn't seem like I can get to them. It was just really discouraging to have to fight so hard with Charizard just to keep it close against the D3, to completely overwhelming him with Pikachu that I hadn't even been practicing.
Smashville is a good pick against Pacman if you're getting zoned by fruit. Powershielding fruit will also do you a lot of good for approaching (don't let him keep you in the air). Town and City and Delfino aren't bad but it won't make keeping Pacman close any easier, especially if you don't powershield.

Fly is useful only after they airdodge. Never mash Fly immediately after Dthrow. You can position yourself next to them when they DI away and get right under them to punish the airdodge in time, yea. You can also sometimes catch people DIing away with rising FH Flare Blitz.

Dedede is a pretty bad MU for Zard and a pretty good MU for Pikachu. I get where you're coming from but I think it really comes down to the disparity in MU favourableness.

Lyserdon

Smash Cadet
NNID
420BlitzIt
My 8 year old cousin made this his profile picture on facebook today:

Any Zards considering dressing up as him for Halloween?

Jazzasaur

Smash Cadet
NNID
KingofSnorlax
3DS FC
1934-1786-2430
Just been playing Charizard recently and having a great time! Love the up B, seems to work really well at KOing people.

MintyBreeze

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0361-8437-7637
I feel like a bunch of the MU knowledge when it comes to Charizard is hard to come across, because you never have a chance to play against other Charizards in their really tough match-ups.

KingJigglypuff

Smash Ace
Not really sure if this will help for not, but here's a rough representation of Charizard's Back Air hitboxes.

Here's a few details about the move itself as well (info from the actual file itself).
-The entire move is 52 Frames.
-Hitbox starts on Frame 14 and ends on Frame 17.
-Can autocancel until Frame 4 and after Frame 44.
-Hitbox goes into the Z axis. (This is a bad thing, as the move can whiff when it looks like it should hit.)

I may or may not do more of Charizard's moves, depending on if I can find a convenient way to translate Bone IDs for hitboxes.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
ooh wow, so this is data from sm4sh? nice to see we've reached this point of data mining. anything else you could find would be awesome, particularly jab and fair since those moves have disjoints that hit in the claw graphic

KingJigglypuff

Smash Ace
The got the data from opening Charizard's Smash 4 moveset file into a program.

The hitbox representation is rough, because I had to emulate the data through BrawlBox's (Brawl modding program) viewer.

Though for getting rough hitbox representations of Jab and Forward Air, I'll see what I can do, but I can't make any promises, as I need to see if there's a convenient way to convert Smash 3DS bone IDs to Brawl bone IDs.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
KingJigglypuff KingJigglypuff

If you are doing other moves, I would personally request Rock Smash and Fly.

Those are two of the most important tools in Charizard's repertoire. I feel we need to know them inside and out.

KingJigglypuff

Smash Ace
I believe Fly and Rock Smash have the same hitboxes from Brawl, with the exception of Rock Smash having armor and doing less damage and knockback than Brawl.

I'm assuming this because again, I looked into Charizard's Smash 4 moveset file and tried to compare it to Brawl's. Up Special has the same damage, same amount of hits, and the same amount of knockback.

C3CC

Smash Lord
I'm in love with many of Charizard's moves.

Just killed my friend's Roy at 47% with a sweetspotted Back Air (we were near the edge, of course, and I had just voluntarily entered in rage by Flare Blitz). Among other things like...

A clean Rock Smash dealing 30%.

Landing all hits on Fly.

Down Throw -> Forward Air.

Hitting people with Down Smash like "Get off me, *****".

A fully charged Forward Smash landing.

AND UP THROW!!

:)

Last edited:

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I've been looking for zard pictures mostly to find an avatar what would work with a santa hat well and be more "artsy"

I think I found a good fit.

Last edited:
NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
So apparently we're getting even more buffs tomorrow, according to leaks.

I'm wondering how this is going to affect 'Zard's tier placements, if at all.

Last edited:

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Dash attack I'm not sure. Could be either or.

Usmash depends what got shifted and moved around.

Dsmash kills earlier, uhh I guess we'll take it.

nannerham

Smash Apprentice
NNID
nannerham
Good lord that up smash buff is glorious, its able to hit a CROUCHING wii fit trainer
Edit: did charizard always have some kind of tipper hitbox on fair?

Last edited:

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Good lord that up smash buff is glorious, its able to hit a CROUCHING wii fit trainer
This was a previous patch where they moved his fair hitbox around and changed how it worked on hit.

But yeah this was before in a former patch.

nannerham

Smash Apprentice
NNID
nannerham
Zards jab does 12% percent now, ive been messing around with him for a while and please correct me if im wrong but i did some tests on luma and zards jab puts it into a tumble state, did it do that before?

Edit: nvm ignore this, a trip to kurogane hammer does wonders

Last edited:

ksizl4life

Smash Hero
I'm working on a patch notes video now and I'm recording all of Charizard on 2 Wii Us. In 1.1.2 you could always hit a WFT crouching in front of you, but not behind you. This is the same in 1.1.3 so placebo.

I'm trying to show a good compare/contrast spot for Up smash but it honestly looks the same, with various percents and various characters.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
YES THE BUFFS I WAS SO DESPARATE FOR HAPPENED!

All of 'Zard's aerials have less landing lag than before, which is great. His jumps were also improved, too; he goes a bit higher now than he did before on a single jump, at least from what I can tell.

EDIT: Flare Blitz does less damage to Charizard, too; before it did 15, now it does 5.

Last edited:
NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
No, you had to A land it before~

Patch hasn't finished downloading yet, but I'm already hype

Be hype, man; the 'Zard buffs are glorious. I can't say this enough; Charizard is right behind Ike as the best heavy character now. Low-lag aerials, combo and kill throws, Flare Blitz always doing only 5% to Charizard for all the damage it does to the opponent...it's a good day to be a Charizard.

Charey

Smash Apprentice
Flare Blitz recoil damage hasn't changed. It still does 5% on use and 5%(10% total) on hit.

Last edited:

Charey

Smash Apprentice
I was using FB and was ending up at 5% from 0%, even after missing, though. It does a solid 5%, even with testing.
When you miss it only does 5%, When you hit with it you take an extra 5% for a total of 10%. This is unchanged from the last patch.

I just tested it.

Grizzlpaw

Rawr~ ♪
3DS FC
1289-9519-4206
Not sure if placebo but char def feels like he's jumping higher on the initial jump.

He seems to ascend faster too. Am i wrong?

Top Bottom