• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Cast needs more obscure characters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vann Accessible

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2208-6640-6360
Golden Sun, Advance Wars, and Sin & Punishment could all do with some mainstream representation in Smash Bros. to assist in rebooting those series.

BlitznBurst

Smash Ace
Because who wants big-name Nintendo characters that people know and love when you can have a character that nobody has heard of or gives a **** about

D

Deleted member

Because who wants big-name Nintendo characters that people know and love when you can have a character that nobody has heard of or gives a **** about
Because all (if not most) of the "big-name" characters are already present and many of the characters featured in Smash started off rather obscure?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
It would be neat if games obscure to Japan like Geist appeared.

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
As much as I really want Isaac and Shulk to be in smash 4, I think the inclusion of both of them would be a logical move for Nintendo. X is likely coming out after smash and is going to be an important title for the Wii U. I'm guessing Shulk will be in X and being playable in Smash 4 is a great way to promote the franchise, which honestly hardly anyone knows about.

Similarly, if Isaac is included, Golden Sun can possibly receive a boost in popularity and hopefully Camelot or another studio will make a new entry for the Wii U. A new Golden Sun can move Wii U units if the game is the same scale and quality as the originals. The third game, though enjoyable, wasn't as good.

Golden Sun and Xenoblade are two obscure franchises that deserve more and smash is arguably the best means of increasing their exposure and building support for newer entries. On a side note, this is a great thread and I enjoy reading everyone's opinions.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I don't think Xenoblade and Golden Sun are not really obscure. Just look at the sales with the original Golden Sun, and alot of people went to Operation Rainfall for Xenoblade to try out the game.

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
Uh... hey guys...
I mean.. obscure characters... or..uh... obscure series?
I mean... a famous character of a obscure series, or a obscure character of a famous series?
Or even a obscure character of a obscure serie?
I dunno...

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I don't think Golden Sun, let alone Xenoblade is anywhere even near obscure... Remember the hundreds of people demanding it on every Nintendo post ever made on Facebook until it was released?
That kind of attention alone makes a game anything but obscure. (For heck's sake, there were Nintendo Directs about them).

moneyfrenzy

Smash Ace
I don't think Golden Sun, let alone Xenoblade is anywhere even near obscure... Remember the hundreds of people demanding it on every Nintendo post ever made on Facebook until it was released?
That kind of attention alone makes a game anything but obscure. (For heck's sake, there were Nintendo Directs about them).
That is true, but that is only the hardcore nintendo fans.

Most gamers have no idea who shulk and isaac are.

moneyfrenzy

Smash Ace
Double post, third time this has happened to me in 5 minutes :(

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
Though I don't like 3rd parties that much I would be willing to make an exception for her. This game needs a revival.

Mishudo

Smash Journeyman
When I think of obscure, I think of Marina Lightyear from Mischief Makers, and Juno from Jetforce Gemini....but I don't think they're first party 64 games so maybe that's why haha

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Rosalina's appearance seems to suggest that Sakurai is favoring unique gameplay. Can anyone think of any obscure characters that would lend themselves to this?

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Prince Sable with his ability to transform into a frog and snake.
Lip with her stick that deals multiple damage effect on the opponent.
Mach Rider relying on his motorcycle to use for attacks.
Takamaru, with very fast attacks and the ability to throw shurikens and fireballs.
Star Man, relying on wrestling moves to KO opponents.
Donbe and HIkari with the ability shout text out for attacks.
Maybe the Marvelous Trio too, we could definitely use a trio.
Wild Gunman with the ability use guns as attacks (Although I don't think Sakurai would allow this)
Pretty much my list here.
Not much other unique characters from the retro category.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096

Funky Kong would have to be a very obscure input, though there are probably those who are much more obscure than him.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
Rosalina's appearance seems to suggest that Sakurai is favoring unique gameplay. Can anyone think of any obscure characters that would lend themselves to this?

I don't think so because you have WiiFit Trainer's moveset is pretty basic so far.

Also the Guardian from guardian legends has a variety of cannons and beam swords she can use and she can turn into a jet.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
I'm not sure if we might need that many obscure characters. All of the newcomers are somewhat a shocker.

Villager- Sakurai did not want him in Brawl because Animal Crossing was too 'peaceful'.
Megaman- From a Capcom fan's perspective, since Capcom does not do much with Megaman.
Wii Fit Trainer- No one thought that she was going to be in.
Rosalina- Toad, Paper Mario and Bowser Jr were all though to be more likely as the Mario newcomer.

RadRedi

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure if we might need that many obscure characters. All of the newcomers are somewhat a shocker.

Villager- Sakurai did not want him in Brawl because Animal Crossing was too 'peaceful'.
Megaman- From a Capcom fan's perspective, since Capcom does not do much with Megaman.
Wii Fit Trainer- No one thought that she was going to be in.
Rosalina- Toad, Paper Mario and Bowser Jr were all though to be more likely as the Mario newcomer.
Well, those characters are original decisions, I'll give you that. But that doesn't mean we don't need any obscure characters. I mean, Sakurai may have said that Animal Crossing was too peaceful, but Animal Crossing is still a very popular franchise. Same with Mega Man: his series may be stagnant, but to a casual person, it's Mega Man. An icon. Not obscure.

Ultimately, none of these characters were from games so underground that their inclusion gave people heart attacks because of the impossibility. Villager's chances were only slighted because of Sakurai. Wii Fit Trainer is a casual icon, and was therefore tossed aside by anyone who cared about the roster, even though she's still that: an icon. And Rosalina really isn't that farfetched. We only think it is because so many people considered Toad, Paper Mario, or Bowser Jr. to be in the bag.

Not to mention, at this point, there are only a few actual Nintendo All-Stars that can be added. It's about time Sakurai starts adding more obscure characters that may be on their way to some form of stardom.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well Chibi Robo is getting a Western Release for the first time in who knows how long. I hope that bolsters him if not for Smash, just in general.

RadRedi

Smash Journeyman
I'm still pretty hopeful for Chibi Robo. Though, the lack of an impression Starfy made - even with a non-exclusive release for the first time ever post-Brawl - has begun to make me wonder what other areas he'll (Sakurai) take the easy way out on. I hope and pray Chibi Robo isn't just a trophy again...

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I'm still pretty hopeful for Chibi Robo. Though, the lack of an impression Starfy made - even with a non-exclusive release for the first time ever post-Brawl - has begun to make me wonder what other areas he'll (Sakurai) take the easy way out on. I hope and pray Chibi Robo isn't just a trophy again...
He might see the true moveset potential of Chibi Robo, though like Golden Sun and Sin Punishment it can easily be skipped over and just make Chibi Robo an AT and call it a day.

RadRedi

Smash Journeyman
He might see the true moveset potential of Chibi Robo, though like Golden Sun and Sin Punishment it can easily be skipped over and just make Chibi Robo an AT and call it a day.
I think the reason I have hopes for Chibi Robo is because he's been something of a relevant IP from 2008-2014. (I know relevance isn't everything, but it certainly helps).

I bring that up because of the way Sakurai seems to be operating this time around: a majority of the content that we know about for these two games revolves around the most recent Nintendo titles. Ones that people can go out and buy at their local store on the spot if they like a stage or character enough. Chibi Robo is a character that you can just plug into the eShop to purchase. (However, we've also gotten the Skull Kid AT and Dr. Wily's Castle, so it's not like EVERYTHING is promotional).

As for the uniqueness factor, that is really a matter of Sakurai discovering a unique moveset that fits a character. It's nothing we can really speculate on, looking back to the "Rosalina would just be a Peach clone" days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom