• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Cast needs more obscure characters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chalphy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Chalphy
Well I can say that still now some of the Nintendo Characters are still unknown even for the most hardcore Nintendo fans, namely Kalas (Baten Kaitos), Colonel Scott O'Connor (Kabuki Quantum Fighter), Kabin (Battle Monster Tactics), Oni (Power Soukuban), Muguru-Kun (Power Lode Runner), John Solver (Bombsweeper), Pockle (GiFTPiA), Tin Star (Tin Star), Harry (Teleroboxer) and Mr. Stevenson (Gumshoe), those are some of the most obscure character you find from Nintendo History, well without counting Chavo from Bound High!, Dorin from Dragon Hopper and M-09 from Project H.A.M.M.E.R. that never release even after getting a playable demo or a full game.

.n_n.

To be fair, a lot of those games despite having publishing agreements aren't even owned by Nintendo.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Honestly when I first played Smash 64 I'd never heard of Ness, Captain Falcon or embarrassingly; Samus(in my defence, I was originally a Sega boy, and only really hopped over in the 64 age). Bizarrely by the time Melee rolled around I'd managed to play Ice Climbers, so Nana and Popo popping up didn't surprise me, although Marth, Roy and Game and Watch sort of threw me.

This is going to be an unpopular opinion but personally I think people tend to get carried away with what Smash can do for a series, and it seems to stem mostly from Pit's inclusion and that Sakurai decided to make a (very good) one off Kid Icarus game with no plans to continue the franchise past Uprising at current.

Since then every franchise that has been dead and buried has been brought up as perhaps able to get a revival; Mole Mania, Startropics, Mach Rider, Joy Mech Fighter, Mysterious Murasame Castle, For the Frog the Bell Tolls, etc with people expecting should they get in Smash they're likely to get a new game. They're not.
Smash success does not equal game releases and Fire Emblem's world wide releases and Kid Icarus: Uprising are more the exception than the rule;

Falcon's inclusion did nothing for keeping the F-Zero series alive and popular despite being one of Smash's most popular characters. Instead his game has merely been absorbed by the more popular Mario Kart series with even his car being stolen by Baby Mario, Toad and the small male Miis as a sleek go kart. Mario Kart 8 currently LOOKS like F-Zero what with the ability to drive on the ceiling, the walls, etc. Falcon hasn't had a new game in ten whole years.

Obviously the Ice Climbers didn't exactly get an updated game, an upscrolling platformer could work fine should Nintendo feel like doing one; NSMB Wii/U has done some of their boss levels like this and it seems to work fine, so it's not like it's unfeasable. Ice Climbers got nothing.

Ness' inclusion in all three Smash games didn't help Mother 3 get released overseas either. Yes it was a cult hit, but people had to download emulators to play it. Hell; Ness's popularity didn't even give Europe or Australia an official Earthbound release until this very year. That's ridiculous considering we've known of Ness for fourteen years. FOURTEEN and we've only just got an official release on Virtual Console.

Star Fox has received a new playable character each time, but like with Falcon, Playable Smash character popularity =/= the franchise popularity and the series has been doing poorer in Japan with each new release since Star Fox 64. Fox and Falco are two of the most popular characters in competitive Smash, but Star Fox hasn't had a new game in seven years.

Smash can highlight some new series but Nintendo aren't willing to take risks by releasing a steady stream of their less well known series, and so it ends up a wasted opportunity. Fire Emblem was a rarity, and although Kid Icarus was a cult success, it sold relatively poorly compared to it's peers.

tl; dr: Including obscures is fine and dandy, as long as you don't pin your hopes for a new game starring them solely on them getting into Smash.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
We've only seen 3 new characters so far. Kind of jumping the gun to say we need more obscure characters don't you think? I'd like to see other series get their chance to shine by more or less being advertised in Smash. But again, only 3 new characters seen so far, so I'd like to a couple more of the popular choices too. We shouldn't have obscure characters just for the sake of it.

If I had to choose, I'd go for Mach Rider, Lip, Prince Sable. Those three could offer some cool movesets if you ask me.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Every time I see someone's fan roster they have a bajilion Mario Zelda and Pokemon characters. Like I've said before I'd rather their be more newcomers from different franchises than the same ones all the time.

You know I'm the only one who's promoting the idea of Barbara the Bat.

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
Kabuki is a Human Entertainment game, if you have any info of the game ip being bought by nintendo show it, but im sure is a human IP, there is no info in the game that state or make me think the contrary.

Namco still owns baten kaitos.
http://www.trademarkia.com/baten-kaitos-76413946.html

"Muguru-Kun and all the enemies, stages, music and original art is owned by Nintendo the mechanics and the gameplay is owned by a Third party"
You can read japanese right? game endings doesnt work for me, i would love a confirmation.
I did more research and is kinda likely, same with power soukuban, and i would actually love if muguru kun is a nintendo character, but i need more info.

Interesting to note, nintendo's name appear before spiral's name in battle monster title screen, so, maybe.
Still the License of the game is owned by Nintendo it says in the first part of the intro of the game, "Licensed by Nintendo" so that gives them the right to use the character, enemies, music and elements of the game.

Not really, Baten Kaitos is now owned by Nintendo or at least that was the last thing I could read about it because the rights were kept by Monolith Soft thats why Nintendo could Publish the Second one. I´m still considering that maybe Namco has the rights of Baten Kaitos but as a Publisher who was the one to bring the Ip here in America and maybe in Japan is different and the owner of the IP is Monolith Soft, or a second thought could be that those websites haven't load the new information of Baten Kaitos and still shows Namco but now is Nintendo.

About Muguru-Kun and Oni I need to keep searching about those characters where did I found the concrete information about who has the rights of which part, I´m 80% sure that my information is correct, if not I will never post it (I have been searching for almost four months and keep going about Nintendo History and their characters and until I´m not 80% sure about say character I don´t add it to my list).

Edited;
Here is my information
Power Lode Runner
Power Soukoban

.n_n.

Chalphy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Chalphy
Still the License of the game is owned by Nintendo it says in the first part of the intro of the game, "Licensed by Nintendo" so that gives them the right to use the character, enemies, music and elements of the game.

Not really, Baten Kaitos is now owned by Nintendo or at least that was the last thing I could read about it because the rights were kept by Monolith Soft thats why Nintendo could Publish the Second one. I´m still considering that maybe Namco has the rights of Baten Kaitos but as a Publisher who was the one to bring the Ip here in America and maybe in Japan is different and the owner of the IP is Monolith Soft, or a second thought could be that those websites haven't load the new information of Baten Kaitos and still shows Namco but now is Nintendo.

About Muguru-Kun and Oni I need to keep searching about those characters where did I found the concrete information about who has the rights of which part, I´m 80% sure that my information is correct, if not I will never post it (I have been searching for almost four months and keep going about Nintendo History and their characters and until I´m not 80% sure about say character I don´t add it to my list).

Edited;
Here is my information
Power Lode Runner
Power Soukoban

.n_n.

Sorry Zhadgon, but virtually everything you wrote is wrong.

First off with regards to the licensing. What is actually referring to the game being licensed for use on the NES. Most NES games feature that licensing note including Mega Man 2, Ninja Gaiden, and Castlevania. And we all know that Mega Man, Ninja Gaiden, and Castlevania are owned by Capcom, Tecmo Koei, and Konami respectively.

With regards to Baten Kaitos, that series is still owned by Namco unfortunately. The only Monolith Soft IPs that Nintendo owns are Disaster: Day of Crisis, Soma Bringer, Xenoblade, and X. Everything else from Xenosaga, to Baten Kaitos, and Endless Frontier are all part of the Namco Bandai umbrella.

Lode Runner is another case, this time this particular game is made by Nintendo, but they still don't own the IP. Often times companies will bid for the rights to produce works, but they do not get ownership of that IP. Remember that Nintendo made Goldeneye for N64 and Pac-Man Vs. for GCN, but they certainly do not own those IPs.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Well I can say that still now some of the Nintendo Characters are still unknown even for the most hardcore Nintendo fans, namely Kalas (Baten Kaitos), Colonel Scott O'Connor (Kabuki Quantum Fighter), Kabin (Battle Monster Tactics), Oni (Power Soukuban), Muguru-Kun (Power Lode Runner), John Solver (Bombsweeper), Pockle (GiFTPiA), Tin Star (Tin Star), Harry (Teleroboxer) and Mr. Stevenson (Gumshoe), those are some of the most obscure character you find from Nintendo History, well without counting Chavo from Bound High!, Dorin from Dragon Hopper and M-09 from Project H.A.M.M.E.R. that never release even after getting a playable demo or a full game.

.n_n.

Definitely.

Even now I only recently learned about a Nintendo IP called Fossil Fighters that's been around for a few years. It's crazy to think that even when you think you know about everything Nintendo has under its belt there's still the occasional surprise.

Hopefully if we get more obscure series as playable we'll see trophies/stickers for some of the extremely obscure franchises.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
As far as obscure characters being playable I think they atleast needed to have been in two games in some shape or form. Takamaru has been alluded to by Nintendo a lot. Muddy Mole sadly has not.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
As far as obscure characters being playable I think they atleast needed to have been in two games in some shape or form. Takamaru has been alluded to by Nintendo a lot. Muddy Mole sadly has not.
Perhaps it's Mr. Resetti's fault.
Mole Mania doesn't seem like something worth a revival. Even though Mole Mania is a great game.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
Edited;
Here is my information
Power Lode Runner
Power Soukoban

.n_n.
seems legit, ok.
-------------------------------------

Kabu's intro also state "human creative group, hal america inc, all rights reserved", which reffers to human IP and hal rights to localize it.
"licensed by nintendo" means is an official game recognized by nintendo, all the official NES games have them, it just state they arent pirate games or something like that. This doesnt happen in famicom, and Kabus intro in japan doesnt have any nintendo thing on it.

Baten Kaitos Origins trademark: http://www.trademarkia.com/baten-kaitos-origins-76662310.html

So... stop saying that, they arent nintendo IP by any mean.

Lode Runner is another case, this time this particular game is made by Nintendo, but they still don't own the IP.
He is talking about the characters and places of the game.
SimCity is not a nintendo IP but they have the rights of the Dr Wright character, for example.

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
seems legit, ok.
-------------------------------------

Kabu's intro also state "human creative group, hal america inc, all rights reserved", which reffers to human IP and hal rights to localize it.
"licensed by nintendo" means is an official game recognized by nintendo, all the official NES games have them, it just state they arent pirate games or something like that. This doesnt happen in famicom, and Kabus intro in japan doesnt have any nintendo thing on it.

Baten Kaitos Origins trademark: http://www.trademarkia.com/baten-kaitos-origins-76662310.html

So... stop saying that, they arent nintendo IP by any mean.

He is talking about the characters and places of the game.
SimCity is not a nintendo IP but they have the rights of the Dr Wright character, for example.
I found this for Kabuki Quantum Fighter, it says that the trademark was owned by Hal Laboratory but is not renewed, so then who has the rights? Link

And about Baten Kaitos I should give you that, I still think is in a Legal Limbo maybe I should write directly to Namco Bandai and Nintendo to see who is the real owner now after all the transactions.

.n_n.

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
Sorry Zhadgon, but virtually everything you wrote is wrong.

First off with regards to the licensing. What is actually referring to the game being licensed for use on the NES. Most NES games feature that licensing note including Mega Man 2, Ninja Gaiden, and Castlevania. And we all know that Mega Man, Ninja Gaiden, and Castlevania are owned by Capcom, Tecmo Koei, and Konami respectively.

With regards to Baten Kaitos, that series is still owned by Namco unfortunately. The only Monolith Soft IPs that Nintendo owns are Disaster: Day of Crisis, Soma Bringer, Xenoblade, and X. Everything else from Xenosaga, to Baten Kaitos, and Endless Frontier are all part of the Namco Bandai umbrella.

Lode Runner is another case, this time this particular game is made by Nintendo, but they still don't own the IP. Often times companies will bid for the rights to produce works, but they do not get ownership of that IP. Remember that Nintendo made Goldeneye for N64 and Pac-Man Vs. for GCN, but they certainly do not own those IPs.
Well I found that the owner of the trademark for Kabuki Quantum Fighter is Hal Laboratory but they haven't renewed that one, still if Nintendo is the owner of Hal should not their IP´s pass to Nintendo?

Baten Kaitos once again is in Legal Limbo, but I coincide that point, I should write a letter to Nintendo and Namco Bandai of who has the rights now for the series.

And for Power Lode Runner and Power Soukuban you can read the below about Sim City and Dr. Wright (Dr. Wright is owned by Nintendo but the gameplay, mechanics and name are part now of EA), so Oni and Muguru-Kun are owned by Nintendo but the mechanics, gameplay and name of the series are owned by their respective companies.

.n_n.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
I found this for Kabuki Quantum Fighter, it says that the trademark was owned by Hal Laboratory but is not renewed, so then who has the rights? Link .
Still, this state they had the name at some point, characters and other things i really doubt it.They stop renewing it around the time nintendo stop distributing the NES, i dont know if there is a connection though.
It will be interesting if hal actually had the rights of the character, kabuki will be cool in smash.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Gonna bump again, this has the most replies of any obscure character discussion I have seen. :crazy:
So which franchises do you think could have a revival?

Well I'd like to see what they could do with the Ice Climbers. I can see it working as a co-op platformer.

Custom Robo isn't totally boscure but I think it needs the HD treatment.

Chibi Robo needs another Western release and for it not to get stuck with a Walmart only deal.

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
Lip alone would make me happy (to say the least), but in general I desire more characters from obscure/unrepped series to be added to this game. To me, Smash Bros is a celebration of Nintendo's wonderful history--I want the roster to be as varied as possible.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Gonna bump again, this has the most replies of any obscure character discussion I have seen. :crazy:
So which franchises do you think could have a revival?

F-Zero.
Seriously, it's been long enough to consider this an obscure game again.

From the retros if I'm honest I was only vaguely interested in Kid Icarus getting a revival. Just continue it and we're all good.

Well I'd like to see what they could do with the Ice Climbers. I can see it working as a co-op platformer.
Oh and this ^
Ice Climbers could work really well, but I don't see it ever happening.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
There is this pinbal game "odama", i was expecting an item for brawl or something, but nothing happen.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
As for obscure characters I would say Mike Jones would be my most want. Then again what do you consider obscure? Captain Rainbow is a game about obscure Nintendo characters. A lot of Characters have been revived after its make. Little Mac, Birdo, Advance Wars, and now Takemaru is making a comeback. I think Crazy Tracy would be intersting. She would be Smash's version of Ivy.

loganhogan

Smash Ace
As for obscure characters I would say Mike Jones would be my most want. Then again what do you consider obscure? Captain Rainbow is a game about obscure Nintendo characters. A lot of Characters have been revived after its make. Little Mac, Birdo, Advance Wars, and now Takemaru is making a comeback. I think Crazy Tracy would be intersting. She would be Smash's version of Ivy.

I like that the game featured a lot of obscure characters too bad it stayed Japan only :(.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Little Mac, Mike Jones, Takamaru, Goose, Duck Hunt Dog, Lip, Yeah mostly Retro's but still Obscure and great! :D

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Little Mac, Mike Jones, Takamaru, Goose, Duck Hunt Dog, Lip, Yeah mostly Retro's but still Obscure and great! :D

Am I the only one who doesn't think Duck Hunt is a particularly obscure game? Old, yes, but the laughing dog is very much a part of pop culture which separates him from say...Goose, Lip and Takamaru.

Little Mac isn't totally obscure, but he's less iconic as at first glance to the average schmo he could be any cartoon boxer.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Well, Duck Hunt might not be that obscure anymore perhaps? But the Nintendo game itself I would say is pretty obscure when it comes the Nitendo game itself, never got a sequal if I recall right. So I call it obscure ~

I can see your point with Little Mac tho ~

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
I got an obscure character.

Nester

An common comic character of Nintendo Magazine. His comics often offer tips, hints, and hacks to various games (where he would play the role of the character).

Where his obscurity comes in is that he did have his own game.

So technically he's meets the requirements and he's a pretty iconic.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I got an obscure character.

Nester

An common comic character of Nintendo Magazine. His comics often offer tips, hints, and hacks to various games (where he would play the role of the character).

Where his obscurity comes in is that he did have his own game.

So technically he's meets the requirements and he's a pretty iconic.
Nester would be hell awesome to have, I only wonder if Nintendo has the rights to Nester.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
He was featured in the last issue of Nintendo Power. He was created by Howard Phillips but when he left Nintendo Nester still stayed. I'm thinking they still do but I'm not sure. I know I have him as a Mii character along with Captain N.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
My gaming life would truly be complete if Mike Jones from StarTropics was in this game. I've been wanting him to show up among the roster since SSB64!

Other than that, I'd really love to see a Captain N revival through Smash Bros. first. He IS pretty obscure as far as Nintendo properties go.
And despite his weird status, he was still created by a Nintendo employee, so technically, he is a Nintendo character too... Just not a videogame one. Kind of a similar situation to R.O.B. except being famous for saving the gaming industry at least took him to take part in cameo roles every now and then, helping his chances of being playable in SSBB.
Captain N's undoing is the fact that Sakurai simply ignores the west. His priorities are: International fame first, Japan fame second, Western fame last. BTW, Captain N's comic is pretty cool, even if the TV show is frowned upon (yet I still like it for what it is).

Finally, Nester would be another excellent WTF/obscure choice, because he defined Nintendo Power for me.
I always found Nester to be hillarious, and to be honest, I always felt sorry for him, and dreamt of the day where he trumped Howard. Kinda how I always wanted Tom to succeed over Jerry for once.
If Nester makes it in, he should have some moves including Pilotwings moves, Funky Bowling, and magazine related moves as well. XD

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
I just love reading this thread! I'm a big fan of other people's thoughts and ideas!!! Please continue...

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Ray from Disaster Day of Crisis! and Alexandra Roivas from Eternal Darkness!
[collapse=MONOLITH SOFT'S FIRST NINTENDO IP]
[/collapse]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom