• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Cast needs more obscure characters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I think you guys have to remember.

What's obscure to us, is SUPER obscure to most people.

And things that seem normal to us, seem obscure to most people.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

What's obscure to us, SUPER obscure to most people.

True, we've been speculating for so long we've now got Nintendo's archives memorized.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep

Yeah sure, but Mach Rider is Ice Climbers' level of obscurity. I wouldn't go much more far than that, probably. Maybe just one à là Mr. Game & Watch like Mr. Hanafuda lol.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
It's of my opinion that most of the top requested characters at the moment are obscure. Shulk, Palutena, every retro flavor of the month pick, *insert Fire Emblem Awakening character here*, Isaac, whatever bandwagon character is currently popular (Rosalina, Cranky Kong, etc.) are all in some ways obscure. Beyond the general hardcore Nintendo fanbase, you'd probably be hard-pressed to find anyone to whom these characters are recognizable. Few people picture these characters when they hear "Nintendo", and vise versa.

Like Kupa said, every Smash game to date has introduced a number of relatively obscure characters. In the original, we had Ness and Captain Falcon. In Melee, Marth, Roy, Ice Climbers, Falco (possibly), and if fan reaction at the time is an indicator, Mr. Game & Watch. In Brawl, we had Ike, Lucas, R.O.B., and arguably Wolf. SSB4 has already started, with Wii Fit Trainer.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

Yeah as speculators we have looked through Nintendo's history so much we could probably almost write a history book about it.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
lol Mr. Hanafuda. :laugh:
Hanafuda isn't obscure, the deck of cards are still sold today and are very popular in Japan.

There's the key phrase. Fire Emblem was popular in Japan as well but still unknown otherwise.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Personally I don't really care how obscure a character is, what I think is important is which characters seems like the best case scenario from the prospective of the roster.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I'd say Shulk and Isaac could benefit from it. Mach Rider as well.

When I played Melee for the first time I was very young, the only playable characters I were even remotely familiar with were Pikachu (it was the only Pokemon playable Pokemon I remember seeing in the anime which I didn't watch often, and there weren't many Pokeball Pokemon that I saw in the anime beforehand) Luigi, Bowser and to a lesser extant, Mario (Luigi's Mansion was the first Mario game I had ever played, so I knew Luigi better than the rest of the Mario cast at the time) and Link. (Thanks to the Legend of Zelda: Collector's Edition.)

Louie G.

Smash Hero
When I played Smash for the first time I knew all the Mario characters, and Link, Pikachu, and Kirby to a lesser extent. All the others were introduced to me through Smash Bros.
I went in a gaming newbie, and came out a gaming expert.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I wasn't too familiar with some of the characters when I first played Smash 64. I mainly knew Mario, Luigi, Fox, Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Donkey Kong and Yoshi. And yet out of the whole original 12 cast. Kirby and Ness became my mains and favourites. I do tend to be the most interested in the characters I'm least familiar with in Smash as it makes me want to learn more about them and if possible, play their games too. So I'm perfectly fine with seeing some more unfamiliar characters, or at least unfamiliar to most of the audience I guess since I've pretty much tried get to know a lot of Nintendo series now.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
The problem with doing all this research is that now there won't be any Smash characters that can be added that I haven't heard of.
It's kind of sad actually, I like being introduced to characters through Smash, I feel that it's what really got me started on being the gamer that I am today.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Brawl introduced mostly well known characters.

The only obscure characters were ROB and Lucas. After that, people knew about all of the characters shown.
Although I did have a few people asking me who the heck that penguin was. XD

Well I hope this time around, we get at least 1-2 obscure characters. And I don't mean "Japan-only/mostly" obscurre, but a character that will make people all around the world go: "...oh I remember THAT guy/girl! Talk about obscure/retro!"

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Well I was still quite surprised when I saw the Wii Fit Trainer coming along so I look forward to trying her out, but yes you're right. Since I've at least tried to familiarize myself to most of the library of Nintendo's colourfull cast of characters, it would be a whole lot more difficult to surprise me now with a character I never heard of I guess... But oh well... :T

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Smash needs moar Murasame Castle, Panel De Pon, Golden Sun, and Xenoblade IMO. IN the end, I think we have a few major Nintendo All Stars to include like a DK Character and Mac.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
King Dedede
Kid Icarus: Uprising.

There is an optional Palutena and Pit conversation in Chapter 16: The Aurum Hive that discusses the topic of claws. Palutena starts comparing Pit to varies animals, first a squirrel because she thinks Pit has a bushy tailed frisky personality, next a kitten which Pit tried to make it sound more badass by claiming that he's a kitten that dices up enemies, then a penguin because Palutena thought Pit was cute, fun loving, and flightless, but Pit points out that penguins don't have claws (even though they technically do).

So cut to here.

Although I did have a few people asking me who the heck that penguin was. XD
He's obviously referring to King Dedede, but I wanted to play the smart ass card by saying this:

Because like what was described above, I made this comment playing with the whole "who the heck that penguin was" as applying to Pit.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
You're not getting the joke are you?

To be honest, I don't either, lol.

But if you mean that Pit was obscure, I knew a lot of people who knew Pit. Either from Melee, the actual K.I. game, or my closest friends due to our exposure of Captain N.

.... I really need to play K.I.U.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Some franchises that I think could use a revival:
For the Frog the Bell Tolls
The Mysterious Muramase Castle
Nintendo Wars
Tetris Attack
Startropics
Teleroboxer
Sutte Hakkun

Personally I think Sable deserves the revival the most.

RadRedi

Smash Journeyman
My biggest votes are Starfy (who is arguably not terribly obscure anymore) and Chibi Robo. One of those two gets in (and/or Dillon) and this game will be bliss.

Teleroboxer
Sutte Hakkun
Oh, heavens. I'm not going to get my hopes up on Teleroboxer (as cool a character as Harry is, his hypothetical being in Smash would be odd alongside non-robot boxer Mac, who has a bigger chance than Harry). But Sutte Hakkun...there is a lot of potential for Hakkun. A character who can add platforms to the stage, plus use them as weapons and traps...that'd be pretty awesome. My hopes are on a realistic level for that, too, though. My unrealistic wishes don't get any more outrageous than my sig, minus Drill Dozer. That'd probably take a miracle, as well.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I'm expecting us to get one retro character (Takamaru being the most obvious candidate) and one historical character (my personal choice being Daitoryo) for sure, but, as for others:

New Franchises (not including retros and historical characters, please keep in mind that most of them are the definition of obscure):

Little Mac (If he counts)
Chibi Robo
Shulk (Xenoblade)
Isaac (Golden Sun)
Starfy
Wars Character (Andy, Sami, etc.)
Primid (No one is asking for him, but he's at least possible)
Saki?
Dillon (Rolling Western)
Zip (FlingSmash)
Mr. Wright (SimCity)
Dr. Kawashima (Brain Age) (unlikely, though)
Nintendog (again, unlikely)
Dr. Lobe (Big Brain Academy) (Dr. Kawashima's more likely than him)
Vince (Art Academy) (If he gets in, I'm going to die of laughter after I die of shock)
Cooking Mama :troll:

Existing Franchises:

Tingle (as much as most of us would like to ignore him)
Impa (Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword)
Ganon (Pig Form) (Legend of Zelda)
Bandana Dee (Kirby)
Robin (Fire Emblem: Awakening)
Anna (Fire Emblem)
Black Shadow (F-Zero)
Blaziken (Pokemon) (He's not obscure, per say, but he's not widely expected)
Deoxys (Pokemon) (Same as Blaziken)
Gigas/Gigue (Mother/Earthbound) (In his physical form)

Am I missing anyone?

Chalphy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Chalphy
Wow we seriously need a chef for a new Nintendo IP.

Funny thing is that before Cing went bankrupt, they were looking at making a game starring a chef solving mysteries.

With regards to the topic at hand, I think Takamaru would make an excellent fighter, but most others would be better used as Assist Trophies.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Funny thing is that before Cing went bankrupt, they were looking at making a game starring a chef solving mysteries.

With regards to the topic at hand, I think Takamaru would make an excellent fighter, but most others would be better used as Assist Trophies.
I think Prince Sable and Lip make great characters too, with Prince Sable relying on transformations to defeat the opponent, and Lip using elemental blocks and her stick to have the opponent keep racking up damage.

RadRedi

Smash Journeyman
So, as I was saying, before being rudely interrupted...last night...

I'd love to see Mach Rider make a Kid Icarus-esque comeback. If they put him in Smash with his Melee trophy redesign, he'd certainly look different than Captain Falcon. That and the fact that his stance probably wouldn't be that of a body builder flexing during a muscle spasm.

I'd also kind of like to see Sakurai do SOMETHING with Doshin the Giant. I know he's not really character material (Doshin should be the poster boy for "too big", not Ridley), but an Asist Trophy, at least, would be cool. Same goes for Kururin. And by Kururin, I mean the little blue bird with a Jimmy Neutron swirl. Not Helirin. I only recently found out that Helirin actually had a person in it because of how little publicity the character of Kururin gets, especially in Smash.

So, in other words, I'd be very impressed to see most (or all) of the above:

Legendary Starfy
Chibi Robo
Dillon's Rolling Western
Teleroboxer
Sutte Hakkun
Mach Rider
Doshin the Giant
Kuru Kuru Kururin
Golden Sun, for good measure

Obviously, not all of those are terribly farfetched.

I'd toss in Little Mac, but he's not really obscure. My grandparents know about Punch Out, for crying out loud.

moneyfrenzy

Smash Ace
Remember, there is a difference between obscure franchises and dead franchises.
Almost every franchise that does not have a character in brawl except for animal crossing is obscure.

Now there are non obscure franchises such as nintendogs and brain age that are not in smash.

The only non obscure ones left are mewtwo, ridley, king k rool, and little mac. Palutena can be argued as obscure. Isaac and Shulk are definitely obscure

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
Well I can say that still now some of the Nintendo Characters are still unknown even for the most hardcore Nintendo fans, namely Kalas (Baten Kaitos), Colonel Scott O'Connor (Kabuki Quantum Fighter), Kabin (Battle Monster Tactics), Oni (Power Soukuban), Muguru-Kun (Power Lode Runner), John Solver (Bombsweeper), Pockle (GiFTPiA), Tin Star (Tin Star), Harry (Teleroboxer) and Mr. Stevenson (Gumshoe), those are some of the most obscure character you find from Nintendo History, well without counting Chavo from Bound High!, Dorin from Dragon Hopper and M-09 from Project H.A.M.M.E.R. that never release even after getting a playable demo or a full game.

.n_n.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
Hakkun from Suitte Hakkun for smash!!!!

Well I can say that still now some of the Nintendo Characters are still unknown even for the most hardcore Nintendo fans, namely Kalas (Baten Kaitos), Colonel Scott O'Connor (Kabuki Quantum Fighter), Kabin (Battle Monster Tactics), Oni (Power Soukuban), Muguru-Kun (Power Lode Runner), John Solver (Bombsweeper), Pockle (GiFTPiA), Tin Star (Tin Star), Harry (Teleroboxer) and Mr. Stevenson (Gumshoe), those are some of the most obscure character you find from Nintendo History, well without counting Chavo from Bound High!, Dorin from Dragon Hopper and M-09 from Project H.A.M.M.E.R. that never release even after getting a playable demo or a full game.

.n_n.
I know Kabuki and is not a nintendo game, is not even a hal laboratory game...
Baten Kaitos is still a namco IP, power lode runner wasnt actually made by nintendo, and bombsweeper will be awesome.

I dont know battle monster and power soukuban but, of what i search, nintendo only published them, are you sure?

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon

Baten Kaitos is still a namco IP, power lode runner wasnt actually made by nintendo, and bombsweeper will be awesome.

I dont know battle monster and power soukuban but, of what i search, nintendo only published them, are you sure?
Kabuki is a Nintendo Game they have the License of the game, nope Baten Kaitos right now is owned by Nintendo (it was owned by Namco, but once they sold Monolith Soft to Nintendo some of the IP's pass to them, and one of the them was Baten Kaitos, you can say it did happen like Rare once Microsoft bought them Banjo Kazooie pass to them, Muguru-Kun and all the enemies, stages, music and original art is owned by Nintendo the mechanics and the gameplay is owned by a Third party, the same happens with Power Soukuban (they own the character, art, music, enemies and original art, the gameplay and mechanics are owned by a Third party) and Battle Monster is really interesting I have tried to search more about it and their developer but it turns out is like a ghost company (no information at all), what can I say is that maybe Nintendo is the publisher and owner of the IP (much like Wonderful 101, that published it and is owned by Nintendo but made from a third party).

.n_n.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238

So was Kabuki Quantum Fighter published by HAL?
What about Hal Bailman from Air Fortress. A game from back when Iwata was president of HAL instead of Nintendo. Wouldn't Air Fortress be a really obscure, but qualifi-able game to be represented?

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
So was Kabuki Quantum Fighter published by HAL?
What about Hal Bailman from Air Fortress. A game from back when Iwata was president of HAL instead of Nintendo. Wouldn't Air Fortress be a really obscure, but qualifi-able game to be represented?
I love that game and still have one copy of it, I assume that could possible be a Nintendo property now, much like Lolo and Lala are now a part from Nintendo still I don´t really know, it sure is a great question.
.n_n.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
Kabuki is a Nintendo Game they have the License of the game, nope Baten Kaitos right now is owned by Nintendo (it was owned by Namco, but once they sold Monolith Soft to Nintendo some of the IP's pass to them, and one of the was Baten Kaitos, you can say it did happen like Banjo Kazooie once Microsoft bought them), Muguru-Kun and all the enemies, stages, music and original art is owned by Nintendo the mechanics and the gameplay is owned by a Third party, the same happens with Power Soukuban (they own the character, art, music, enemies and original art, the gameplay and mechanics are owned by a Third party) and Battle Monster is really interesting I have tried to search more about it and their developer but it turns out is like a ghost company (no information at all), what can I say is that maybe Nintendo is the publisher and owner of the IP (much like Wonderful 101, that is published and owned by Nintendo but made from a third party).

.n_n.
Kabuki is a Human Entertainment game, if you have any info of the game ip being bought by nintendo show it, but im sure is a human IP, there is no info in the game that state or make me think the contrary.

Namco still owns baten kaitos.
http://www.trademarkia.com/baten-kaitos-76413946.html

"Muguru-Kun and all the enemies, stages, music and original art is owned by Nintendo the mechanics and the gameplay is owned by a Third party"
You can read japanese right? game endings doesnt work for me, i would love a confirmation.
I did more research and is kinda likely, same with power soukuban, and i would actually love if muguru kun is a nintendo character, but i need more info.

Interesting to note, nintendo's name appear before spiral's name in battle monster title screen, so, maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom