• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Cape Wonder Emporium: The Cape Blesses With Super Armor

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
So, this may already be known, and I simply didn't know about it. If that's the case, I apologize.

However, to get to the point, ThrillaGorilla and JackbN1mble were experimenting on what causes that glitch FireMario just found (as are dozens of others I'd guess), and they came up with a bunch of unrelated but interesting things.

When you cape almost any projectile and the person launching said projectile (which I know, won't happen as often as you'd like), they get reversed, and the projectile hits them for 2x strength (Charged charge shots do 45%!). Better than that though, when this happens, the opponent doesn't get any knockback from the projectile, but instead gets a short 'stun', allowing you to hit them with yet another move (He said he didn't think Fsmash would be fast enough, but Dsmash/Ftilt is.).

So far we have made this work for the following:
-Pika's jolts
-Samus' charge shot and regular missiles (not super missiles)
-Weegee's fireballs (but not enough stun to do anything to him. Just 2x fireball damage.)
-Diddy's bananas (He trips on it and takes 16%. On top of that, the banana drops in front of you. However, with perfect timing, ironically, he neither trips nor gets stunned.)
-Sheik's needles (the first hits and the others go in the reverse direction. You have time to follow up.)
-Mario (Cape lags him, then the fireball lags him more. Still not enough time for a Fsmash punish though...)
-Pit's arrows
-Falco's Lasers (Does 12% and makes him put the gun away slower. Can't follow up during that lag if he's in the air, and on the ground you can only if perefctly timed.)
-Ivysaur's leaves (He gets popped into the air and you can follow with Nair.)
-Snake's Nikita (though no lag since he gets blown up, not that this'll happen often.)
-Peach's turnips (they bounce a few times between the two of you before hitting her. Averages about 18%. However, depending on the timing, it can hit Mario instead. Also, Stitch face does 52%, AND you can follow up if you time it right! If imperfect, she suffers the stitchface knockback. It's a win-win.)
-Peach's toad
-Ness' PK Flash (It can explode on him for 63%, and if perfectly timed, he gets SA for it, so no knockback, allowing you to fit in an extra Fsmash. Otherwise, at 0%, the Knockback is capable of killing if they DI wrong.)
-Lucas' PKFire (Has 3 potential results depending on the timing: 1) 20% damage and no knockback with some stun, 2) 20% and reversed, slightly increased knockback, or 3) 20% and it sends him flying across the screen due to cape ****** his momentum boost.)
-Ness' PKFire (He can DI out after a single hit, and no stun, but the flame pillar becomes yours, so you suffer no damage for going through it but Ness does.)
-Lucas' PKFreeze (He takes about 30% and gets stuck in the ice for a much longer time, allowing punishment.)
-Tlink's Boomerang (Does 12% and can pop him up pretty high in the air with the correct timing, as in highest platform on Pirate Ship high, though he regains control too fast to follow it up with anything.)
-Tlink's arrows (12% in the air, 14% on the ground; can't follow up)
-Link's arrows
-Rob's Gyro (19% unless at full charge, in which case it does 35%; It also pops right next to Mario for easy pickings.)
-Oli's SideB (This one's a little weird. It flips him around, kills whites, and makes the pikimin drop at his feet if imperfectly timed. HOWEVER, if perfectly timed, the Pikmin can latch onto him, unless they are Purples, who just disappear. Sadly, this doesn't trigger and of Oli's various Pikmin glitches.)

ThrillaGorilla also seems to think the cape grants temporary super armor to the person it hits, which would explain some of these occurrences.
The cape grants SAs. Check second post.

Extra misc. info:
-While we get no crazy Mario baseball from caping Sheik's vanish, we do add a bit of lag and make her go up a bit more, giving us time to Fsmash. If she reappears on the ground, it just adds a little more lag.

-Caping the cape just reverses both Marios. Nothing special, but it's kind of funny.

-Cape stops FlUDDs water push.

-Pit's Mirror Shield beats the cape on the first few frames and reverses Mario. Afterward, Pit only gets pushed.

-If you cape PT when his pokemen right when they get out of the Pokeballs, they get reversed controls for a split second.

-Caping Squirtle's Hydro Plane makes him go flying across the stage, but he loses his momentum once he leaves the stage and just grabs the edge. Funny, but not useful.

-Caping Bowser's DownB sends him higher than his double jump, and you can punish his landing with a Fsmash. Caping the aerial version doesn't send him quite as high, but we still have time to get down and punish.

-If you cape Oli's Fsmash, the Pikmin die, unless it's a purple, who still hits you but Oli gets turned around to avoid witnessing the carnage. Purples tend to disappear if you cape them during Dsmash too though... Oli's messed up.

-Caping Oli during his grab confuses the game greatly. You still get grabbed, but end up behind Oli, since he's been reversed, instead of in front of him. If he does Dthrow or Uthrow, it happens like normal, only behind him and with part of the animation happening in front of him for some reason. For Fthrow and Bthrow, the throw inputs are reversed on Oli's end. If he Bthrows, Mario just gets teleported a short distance instead of suffering the death throw.
Also, if you time it right and cape Olimar when he is grabbing close enough to the edge, the Pikmin takes you to the edge and he can't do anything (no throws, attacks, or even pummels) until you break out. If he is too close to the edge, the cape knocks him off and the grab gets canceled. If he is too far, he just gets the reversed Bthrow and Fthrow controls... usually. Sometimes he doesn't get the reversed controls, and we have no idea why.
To quote ThrillaGorilla: "NOTHIN IS NORMAL WITH THIS!!!"

-Caping Jigglypuff's Rollout during her turnaround animation,she will lose control of the rollout until the move ends, which can result in death. Caping her up-angled pound in the air just reverses her and gives a noticeable upwards boost.

-Caping Jigg's rest apparently negates the hitbox of it entirely, even if it should have hit you.

-If you cape Link as he throws bombs, it kind of flies between the two and then blows up in both your faces for 16%. If you time it perfectly, he takes damage but gets no stun from the bomb.

-ROB's laser sadly only turns ROB around and he gets only cape damage.

-When you cape Sonic's Spindashes, he gets reversed and doesn't regain control until covering about the distance of FD. If he is doing the turnaround animation when caped, he loses control, then turns around a few times before going into the skidding animation.

Remember, ThrillaGorilla and JackbN1mble tested this. Thanks go to them if some of this is new. All I did was write down his findings and offer suggestions.

We've finally tested just about everything I think.

thrillagorilla

Smash Ace
Ok, so a couple of additions.

-Wavebouncing: It magnifies the distance of the wavebounce and reverses it if used from behind. If used from in front, it stops momentum.

-If you cape Popo right after Nana grabs the ledge from using up-b, he gets stuck at the edge unable to do anything for a second. You have time to hit him with whatever you want from it, though most likely an up-b to recover.

-Using the cape on the "Flight of Ganon" AT makes him fly higher. (no death though)

-SA frames confirmed :)

-Using the cape on Charizard's Rock Smash can have varied results, ranging from 15%-30% depending on how the rock shards fly. If you try to cape it while grounded, you run the risk of getting hit. Charizard gets stunned in front of you after the capeing and lags enough to get in a free f-smash.

-I'm pretty sure this is old, but I noticed once or twice that it looked like Mario reflected something that hit behind him. This could mean that the cape's reflection abilities extend behind Mario. Don't know on what frames if any. We'll look into it later.

Fromundaman, JackbN1mble and I will add and refine these as we work, and if you have noticed something wrong or something we missed, let us know. :)

SuSa

Banned via Administration
I lulz @ this "Caping Squirtle's Hydro Plane makes him go flying across the stage, but he loses his momentum once he leaves the stage and just grabs the edge. Funny, but not useful."

You made my day. I want a video showing all this.

Especially the Squirtle part.

Like what happens if the Squirtle jumps -oh****-

I join the Mario community for like 3 seconds because of a thread called "Cape ****" and now I feel like I need to live here. Congrats, you just got a moderator to visit your coolio boards with your mustached members.

EDIT:

**** you thrilla, I wanted first post. :( This is what I get for not typing "1st post 10char" then ninja editing that....

thrillagorilla

Smash Ace
lol, Fromundaman told me the moment it was posted. We were conversing using the Kirby xat chat.

Anyways, Squirtle just loses all momentum when he jumps. Very disappointing. Still absurdly funny though. Peach's stuff too, though that has value in the MU. I didn't see Fromundaman post this, but I think using the cape gives the person hit SA frames. That's why the projectiles don't do any knock-back. It'd be interesting if this were true. The things you could do in teams... :)

Edit: BTW, I can't make vids. XD If someone else wants too, they can. I'll try to make re-plays. Also, most of this stuff is preliminary, so its bound to change a bit as I do more testing (most notably follow-ups and the like).

JUDGE

Smash Lord
that is good stuff
but i can't imagine how it should look like
d'you have a vid of this??
if not please work on one ok???

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
The exact opposite has happened with me. One time, I caped a Lucas' PK Fire right in front of him and also hit him with the cape (at nearly the exact same time the PK Fire hit him). I killed him at around 40% because of this.

But yeah, videos would be nice. I'm kinda wondering if I just read the description on how to do this wrong.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Hmmm... we didn't try PKFire yet, but I would think that one would be strange, since it alters Lucas' momentum.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
The exact opposite has happened with me. One time, I caped a Lucas' PK Fire right in front of him and also hit him with the cape (at nearly the exact same time the PK Fire hit him). I killed him at around 40% because of this.

But yeah, videos would be nice. I'm kinda wondering if I just read the description on how to do this wrong.
That's just the Cape **** lmao.

The Cape **** happens when you cape someone as they take knockback and it gets amplified. It happened to me once when I caped a Kirby's Final Cutter and he almost died at like 20some percent.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
I know what it is.

But I was confused because the description that fromundaman gave in the OP sounded exactly the same as Cape **** to me. I think I just read it wrong, though.

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
I've done this to Diddy back when Ducky mained him. Good times.

I wonder what happens if you cape an olimar's side-b and hit him with the cape at the same time.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
This thread needs a better title IMO.

Also have you tested Lucas's Zap Jump yet?

Other moves that I thought of:

Zamus down-B on startup.
Ganon during FoG (flight of Ganon)
Falcon during his version of FoG (Full hop uair, second jump uair uair, jump+down-B)

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
If you guys have any suggestions on things to test, just pop into here and tell me or Thrilla. We are testing this whenever we are in there (I know it's a Kirby chatroom, but Kirbies don't seem to use it, so meh.).

http://xat.com/TheAirRiders

EDIT: Yeah... we do need a better title.

Also, Zap jump is kind of disappointing... Just sends Lucas a bit higher.

I'll edit the main post once we've finished our testing for today.

thrillagorilla

Smash Ace
OK, so my bro and I are all tested out for the day. You can see the updates in the first two posts. The biggest one by far is the confirmation that using the cape on someone gives them SA frames, though I don't know how many. If you guys want vids, you need to contact me for re-plays 'cause I can't do it. XD

Let me know if you want something tested in particular. I'm not familiar with EVERY AT in the game for every character, so there is a good chance I missed something.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
But does it hurt him if you also flip him around? Because that's what they tested, caping him when he did the move, which would apparently cancels it out (which kind of makes sense).

JackbN1mble

Smash Rookie
I have tested again and have concluded that if you time it right you can reflect Charizard's attack as well as turn him around for a total of 15%-30% in total. there is an uncertainty due to the flight of the rock brake so damage may vary from this. it also sends Charizard a short distance in front of you and lags enough for you to get in a f-smash. when I have time to test this more I will edit. you also may take damage from the rocks if you cape from the ground.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
It usually does damage to him if he's jumping into you...which is usually the case since it's his approach.

Monk/Honkey/Banana

Smash Champion
-Caping Oli during his grab confuses the game greatly. You still get grabbed, but end up behind Oli, since he's been reversed, instead of in front of him. If he does Dthrow or Uthrow, it happens like normal, only behind him and with part of the animation happening in front of him for some reason. For Fthrow and Bthrow, the throw inputs are reversed on Oli's end. If he Bthrows, Mario just gets teleported a short distance instead of suffering the death throw.
Also, if you time it right and cape Olimar when he is grabbing close enough to the edge, the Pikmin takes you to the edge and he can't do anything (no throws, attacks, or even pummels) until you break out. If he is too close to the edge, the cape knocks him off and the grab gets canceled. If he is too far, he just gets the reversed Bthrow and Fthrow controls... usually. Sometimes he doesn't get the reversed controls, and we have no idea why.
To quote ThrillaGorilla: "NOTHIN IS NORMAL WITH THIS!!!"
I knew about all of this at the start of the game...I posted a little bit of info on it somewhere but meh

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
Nice finding guys. Cape is without a doubt Mario's best move.

I knew about caping charazard ever since brawl came out though, xD

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Ah well... Guess not all of this is new, but this is a bunch of findings we didn't know about then I guess. Hopefully not all of it was already known.

Top Bottom