• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Burning Digimon Dinosaur - Agumon for Smash - Digimon Survive 2020

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
OFF-TOPIC (Sorry)

So I made this post on Twitter, but I don't recall sharing it here?..

Anywho, it was about this thread I was reading & I was posting my reply to it, until I clicked away on-accident & lost the thread forever. Sadly didn't find it, but all I could remember from the thread was about:

-Listing what character you want in Smash DLC
-The stage of your choice
-8 music tracks to go with it

So from that, I chose:

-Agumon
-File Island from DW1
  1. Brave Heart
  2. Butterfly
  3. Out in the Country
  4. Normal Battle
  5. Bug Maze
  6. Menu Song
  7. Digital Grit!
  8. Lucemon
I just don't have a clear idea of what Agumon's move-set would really be like, but I have a general idea. Otherwise, there's probably more suitable songs to choose from, but I haven't played Cyber Sleuth or the Dawn / Dusk games to really get a good gauge on the ideal tracks we'd need the most.

Graizen

Smash Champion
OFF-TOPIC (Sorry)

So I made this post on Twitter, but I don't recall sharing it here?..

Anywho, it was about this thread I was reading & I was posting my reply to it, until I clicked away on-accident & lost the thread forever. Sadly didn't find it, but all I could remember from the thread was about:

-Listing what character you want in Smash DLC
-The stage of your choice
-8 music tracks to go with it

So from that, I chose:

-Agumon
-File Island from DW1
  1. Brave Heart
  2. Butterfly
  3. Out in the Country
  4. Normal Battle
  5. Bug Maze
  6. Menu Song
  7. Digital Grit!
  8. Lucemon
I just don't have a clear idea of what Agumon's move-set would really be like, but I have a general idea. Otherwise, there's probably more suitable songs to choose from, but I haven't played Cyber Sleuth or the Dawn / Dusk games to really get a good gauge on the ideal tracks we'd need the most.
-Agumon
-File City (DMW1)
  1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erU86ZT8z4I
  2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSYpoPriSls&t=30s
  3. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paIm2PKuknA&t=102s
  4. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9e2ml-vzQm0&t=10s
  5. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBt-pbcCeRo&t=1s
  6. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBS70leI4YY
  7. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eMP7FTGV2I&t=122s
  8. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OU75rYhYRiA

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Graizen Graizen ugghhhhhh, that definitely goes to show I must play Cyber Sleuth. Royal Knight's theme is so MMMMmm.

The boss themes in Next Order & DW3 are also so good. There's so many good ones dang.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I have an odd suspicion about Agumon.
Sega owns Atlus, and Joker (from Atlus) was DLC.
Square and Enix merged, and Erdrick is heavily, heavily rumored. That would make an Enix rep to match Square's Cloud.
If Bandai-Namco followed suit, then Agumon might be the Bandai rep to match Namco's Pac-Man.

Graizen

Smash Champion
I have an odd suspicion about Agumon.
Sega owns Atlus, and Joker (from Atlus) was DLC.
Square and Enix merged, and Erdrick is heavily, heavily rumored. That would make an Enix rep to match Square's Cloud.
If Bandai-Namco followed suit, then Agumon might be the Bandai rep to match Namco's Pac-Man.
Hello Mister Ben! Welcome to the Agumon topic!

Well i hope you are right! Agumon is my Dream character and people here would love to see him there!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
i think asking about mii fighter costumes has started something with me i cant stop thinking of more, zudomon sword fighter

probably not helped by me making my way through adventure, 02, tamers and frontier again

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I'm just curious-

Did anyone have an opinion on
1- the fifth season of Digimon from a few years ago?
2- the follow up to the original two series?

Honestly, I don't even know where to watch. But. Im. Gonna.

...after GOT, Dragon Prince, and Sabrina...

Graizen

Smash Champion
I'm just curious-

Digimon Savers is good!

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'm just curious-

Digimon Data Squad is honestly my favorite season. It has excellent music(though the dub could use some more unique music, but the instrumental theme is breathtaking and great for evolution scenes). I haven't seen Savers yet, but I heard a bit of the music.

I've seen the Adventure Tri movies, some of the currently dubbed ones. Last I finished was Confession, I think, which is the 4th one? They're pretty good, though the animation feels a little offputitng. I honestly prefer the dub themes, but I grew up on that. I understand why it doesn't have that, as the dub themes worked way better with the very unique animations. The animations used now are far faster and very different for the evolutions, just following more of what we see, instead of "special effects" Adventure 1 started as an idea. The music is still amazing in it, and I would honestly suggest watching Tri overall. English dub I can recommend as quite good. You might not like it if nostalgia for the original music is very important to you, of course.

It also doesn't fit with the actual original movie canon, as Ophanimon is there instead of Magnadramon. It's not known if this is meant to be a true alternate canon(which makes sense, for spoiler reasons, namely it's basically an alternate sequel to Adventure Two in design) or meant to actually replace the original movie set as is. It should be noted that the Diaboramon movie is canon in Adventure Two, though. They speak of the events of Omnimon, including the dub. However, there is nothing spoken on for the 3rd movie at all(which as you may know, the first three movies were combined into one version for the dub, but they're still separated technically). Dub-wise, it might be best to say Digimon The Movie is canon. That said, we know you can have more than one canon evolution anyway. SkullGreymon says sup.

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
Data Squad's ok, it ain't Tamers but then what is?

The whole "kid raised by Digimon speaks broken english" made no sense when said digimon spoke perfect english. IDK if it's a case of "that's the joke" or if the writers legit didn't think things through. :\

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Data Squad's ok, it ain't Tamers but then what is?

The whole "kid raised by Digimon speaks broken english" made no sense when said digimon spoke perfect english. IDK if it's a case of "that's the joke" or if the writers legit didn't think things through. :\
Two points I've seen brought up after reading TVTropes;

Bad translations that didn't bother to think it through. The character already has a "more native" design, and wasn't in schools or anything. They didn't think this one through.

The other point to consider is he hung around infants and part of actually learning how to speak is seeing actual mouths voice words. He can't see that from Frigimon or Merukimon, so him speaking the words correctly, but in the wrong order, does have some logic to it.

I agree it wasn't done well, though.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I'm just curious-

data squad is good probably not the best but still very good

tri is awesome if you loved adventure theres no reason not to love tri

Prince Koopa Jr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperLuigiXD
Switch FC
SW-6463-6785-0502
I'm just curious-

Digimon savers is my favorite Digimon series next to frontier. I really liked the characters and story.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
1) Savers/Data Squad has some clear pokemon inspiration and returns to an old protagonist Digimon (Agumon), which could be seen as a design cop-out. It also has the most hotheaded protagonist of any season, though, and seeing him give no craps about punching a several story sabretooth lion made of fire in the face and that's a tonne of fun. It's not quite the character growth driven thing of the original Adventure or the dark, thought-provoking incarnation that Tamers was but, if you're up for some classic, 80's movie cheese and overblown action, it's a real good time. And the ending pulls some unique twists, too.
It is worth noting, though, that there was more censorship in this season than some of the others, due to more humans being directly involved in fights. They couldn't show things like the MC getting a nosebleed in the dub.

2) Adventure 03/Tri is slow for the first 4 episodes, spends the second 4 using any excuse it can to dress digimon up and then pulls some weird nonsense where Gennai sexually assaults Mimi. I stopped watching there because, regardless of how you feel about characters proving they're evil in such cheap ways, it just seems highly out of place for a non-biological entity. And I'd not been that into Tri before then, anyway.
Hopefully the other continuation of Adventure will be better.

Last edited:

Graizen

Smash Champion

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
So , PushDustin posted this, and i think we need to talk about:

https://twitter.com/PushDustIn/status/1124847373581148160

"Sakurai believes that Smash is a game that can promote Japanese gaming. "

Do you guys think this helps Agumon's chances in Smash?
Digimon has a GIGANTIC market in Japan, games, tamagotchi, TCG, etc

Verde Coeden Scalesworth Verde Coeden Scalesworth ryuu seika ryuu seika fogbadge fogbadge Prince Koopa Jr Prince Koopa Jr KMDP KMDP Masonomace Masonomace MAtgSy MAtgSy Ben Holt Ben Holt RileyXY1 RileyXY1 pupNapoleon pupNapoleon KirbyWorshipper2465 KirbyWorshipper2465
Please don't tag me. I can see when this thread is updated without it. I keep an eye on this thread consistently.

That said, yeah, I definitely think he's a contender, but I always thought he was one. That never changed.

Graizen

Smash Champion
Please don't tag me. I can see when this thread is updated without it. I keep an eye on this thread consistently.

That said, yeah, I definitely think he's a contender, but I always thought he was one. That never changed.
Sorry for the tag.

But i think we need to discuss how much this helps his chances.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
How much does it help his chances? Is Digimon seen as a japanese franchise or as a global one? Is it about gaming or has the anime taken over? Are there other games that could benefit more from such exposure?

I'm not sure we're capable of guessing Sakurai's own viewpoint to that degree.

Graizen

Smash Champion
How much does it help his chances? Is Digimon seen as a japanese franchise or as a global one? Is it about gaming or has the anime taken over? Are there other games that could benefit more from such exposure?

I'm not sure we're capable of guessing Sakurai's own viewpoint to that degree.
Some facts:

Digimon has more games in Japan than the rest of the World.
Games for DS and 3DS were released only in Japan.
In addition, huge Digimon Arcade games can only be played in Japan.

The Digimon TCG is only present in Japan today, and it's huge.

We can say that the Anime and Digimon PS4 games are the only things out of Japan nowadays, and even then it has quite a lot of publicity.

Not only that but tons of merchandise, clothing and virtual pets are released monthly in Japan.

You can see all this on the official website: https://www.b-boys.jp/series/digimon/

Prince Koopa Jr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperLuigiXD
Switch FC
SW-6463-6785-0502

Verde Coeden Scalesworth Verde Coeden Scalesworth ryuu seika ryuu seika fogbadge fogbadge Prince Koopa Jr Prince Koopa Jr KMDP KMDP Masonomace Masonomace MAtgSy MAtgSy Ben Holt Ben Holt RileyXY1 RileyXY1 pupNapoleon pupNapoleon KirbyWorshipper2465 KirbyWorshipper2465
Always believed Agumon had a good chance of getting into smash, especially since Bandai Namco is involved

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

that could well depend of sakurai's view of digimon,i would have thought japanese gaming didnt need promoting

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Thanks everyone for the opinions on the anime! I skimmed some responses that got into spoiler territory. Will need to reread for a where to view.

As for Smash being used for Smash games? I don't think anything 'helps' characters, so I don't think this helps Agumon. There is no percentage for a character getting in, they do or they don't. It can increase perception of likelihood, which is what people tend to short hand the first phrase to mean- but I think, if Agumon happens to get in, this has no relevance.

That said, I don't actually think Agumon would get in. What a surprise that would be indeed! He is one of few characters I actively support whom I think would surprise me. That's the best of every world.

Graizen

Smash Champion
I bet that they'll eventually release the original Cyber Sleuth for the Switch as well if this is true.
If Digimon Survive will be at Nintendo E3, maybe we will get some other games like Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth at the same time.
Maybe this helps Agumon's chances in Smash.

Graizen

Smash Champion
Aparently the game "Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth Hackers Memory" is confirmed to be coming to Nintendo Switch!

D6FK3XKWsAEW8Ey.jpg

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Aparently the game "Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth Hackers Memory" is confirmed to be coming to Nintendo Switch!

View attachment 217804
Curse my lack of translation skills...

By the way, I finally got around to learning more about Digimon. Well, as much as I could learn from Billiam's retrospective, anyways (he's done all the anime series and some of the movies, including the American-made one and Tri). I may need to look up some Let's Plays of the games proper, but I think I've reached the point where I can feel justified in supporting Agumon in Smash. Feel free to add me to the list, if you want. :)

Graizen

Smash Champion
Curse my lack of translation skills...

By the way, I finally got around to learning more about Digimon. Well, as much as I could learn from Billiam's retrospective, anyways (he's done all the anime series and some of the movies, including the American-made one and Tri). I may need to look up some Let's Plays of the games proper, but I think I've reached the point where I can feel justified in supporting Agumon in Smash. Feel free to add me to the list, if you want. :)
Play some of the games , they are awesome!

And the text says the game is confirmed, becouse people pre-ordered it and asked about if it was a "error".
But it was not, it's real.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

And the text says the game is confirmed, becouse people pre-ordered it and asked about if it was a "error".
well this defiantly warrants checking out

Prince Koopa Jr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperLuigiXD
Switch FC
SW-6463-6785-0502

Cyber sleuth and hackers memory are great digimon games, it's awesome to see them getting switch ports.

Graizen

Smash Champion
GAME España has confirmed that this rumour (Hacker's Memory on the Switch) is TRUE via Twitter. They say they have removed it temporarily because they are arranging some stuff at the moment, but it will pop up soon and both games will be launched on October, 30th indeed.

https://twitter.com/VideojuegosGAME/status/1125413689962708992

"both games" means Cyber Sleuth AND Cyber Sleuth Hacker's Memory.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
GAME España has confirmed that this rumour (Hacker's Memory on the Switch) is TRUE via Twitter. They say they have removed it temporarily because they are arranging some stuff at the moment, but it will pop up soon and both games will be launched on October, 30th indeed.

https://twitter.com/VideojuegosGAME/status/1125413689962708992

"both games" means Cyber Sleuth AND Cyber Sleuth Hacker's Memory.
now hold on shouldnt we wait for word from namco bandai or nintendo rather than the word of a retailer

Top Bottom