• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Burning Digimon Dinosaur - Agumon for Smash - Digimon Survive 2020

Graizen

Smash Champion
Well, of course he knows about the game. That's proven with the tweet. I doubt it means anything beyond that. I mean, it's not "who knows" like with the supposed Golden Sun-related tweet(which probably wasn't GS-related, anyway).
I think it was, it was exactly like a Golden Sun Battle and we got Isaac AT back from SSBB

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I think it was, it was exactly like a Golden Sun Battle and we got Isaac AT back from SSBB
It's very similar to Camelot's style in general, not just Golden Sun. That's the same battle field as Shining Force. It seemed more of a nod to RPG's in general, Fire Emblem to some degree too, just a different angle respectively.

I wouldn't really say it led much to anything.

Graizen

Smash Champion
It's very similar to Camelot's style in general, not just Golden Sun. That's the same battle field as Shining Force. It seemed more of a nod to RPG's in general, Fire Emblem to some degree too, just a different angle respectively.

I wouldn't really say it led much to anything.
Papagenos made a 12 minute vídeo about this Chrono Trigger Tweet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Er9yQ1aBHUk

PS: 40 Pages!

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yo , imagine if Scorpion or Sub-Zero gets in
And the blood is replaced with little sparkles just like Joker lol
That'd be fine with me. That's more or less Smash's equivalent of blood. Their attacks should make sparks fly extremely often to get the idea across.

Graizen

Smash Champion
That'd be fine with me. That's more or less Smash's equivalent of blood. Their attacks should make sparks fly extremely often to get the idea across.
No joke , i imagine a Mortal Kombat character would be SO GOOD in Smash
Like , to compensate for the "no blood" rule, they would make him the best

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Cause no character should be severely strong over others. I mean, even Bayonetta at first wasn't on Meta Knight Brawl levels whatsoever. She was too good and got nerfed for a reason, despite this.

They should still be overall balanced, not that there's wrong with being made to be fairly good. Cloud has shown that you can still make a DLC character with them being "fairly good" in mind without gutting the game's balance. It's an incentive to buy the character, so it does work in a business sense. But if you make a character beyond severely strong, then you make people not want to much care about other characters, especially buying them, so it's bad for business.

Prince Koopa Jr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperLuigiXD
Switch FC
SW-6463-6785-0502
Cause no character should be severely strong over others. I mean, even Bayonetta at first wasn't on Meta Knight Brawl levels whatsoever. She was too good and got nerfed for a reason, despite this.

They should still be overall balanced, not that there's wrong with being made to be fairly good. Cloud has shown that you can still make a DLC character with them being "fairly good" in mind without gutting the game's balance. It's an incentive to buy the character, so it does work in a business sense. But if you make a character beyond severely strong, then you make people not want to much care about other characters, especially buying them, so it's bad for business.
Or Heihachi from Tekken

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Or Heihachi from Tekken
I'm doubting him quite a bit. Translating the mechanics of Tekken seems pretty important, and why he was briefly considered and dismissed. The 3D factor is rather important, and can't be translated to Smash. There's games that Namco-Bandai has that is far easier to make work as well. Digimon being one example. Tales of has tons of techniques that work well within the settings. Soul Calibur's Nightmare alone can easily work as one who can launch characters easily, though the fact that game is heavily about "what direction your character is facing" as a mechanic can heavily affect how to incorporate it properly. This is actually a pretty big deal for Sakurai as is. He really cares about implementing a character as faithfully as possible, though as Joker shows, it doesn't need to be perfect.

Graizen

Smash Champion

But im not talking about power, im talking about references, quality, stage, music, etc

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
But im not talking about power, im talking about references, quality, stage, music, etc
To be honest, the wording you used is more commonly referred to when talking about actual character balance.

Regardless, I think he'd get as much love as Joker did.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So what always happens? XD
People assuming some silly "rules" keep being maintained until Sakurai proves them wrong, every time, without fail, one step at a time.

I'm doubting him quite a bit. Translating the mechanics of Tekken seems pretty important, and why he was briefly considered and dismissed. The 3D factor is rather important, and can't be translated to Smash. There's games that Namco-Bandai has that is far easier to make work as well. Digimon being one example. Tales of has tons of techniques that work well within the settings. Soul Calibur's Nightmare alone can easily work as one who can launch characters easily, though the fact that game is heavily about "what direction your character is facing" as a mechanic can heavily affect how to incorporate it properly. This is actually a pretty big deal for Sakurai as is. He really cares about implementing a character as faithfully as possible, though as Joker shows, it doesn't need to be perfect.
And Heihachi's VA died after doing Incineroar on top of it all, so they'll let his fans properly mourn him for a while.

Adapting 3D brawler characters is as big of a challenge as :ultridley:, which most people don't realise. Especially if SFxT is deliberately not acknowledged.

Last edited:

Graizen

Smash Champion
People assuming some silly "rules" keep being maintained until Sakurai proves them wrong, every time, without fail, one step at a time.

And Heihachi's VA died after doing Incineroar on top of it all, so they'll let his fans properly mourn him for a while.

Adapting 3D brawler characters is as big of a challenge as :ultridley:, which most people don't realise. Especially if SFxT is deliberately not acknowledged.
Thing i don't understand is why Tekken or Tales of are so "better" as DLC choices for Namco Bandai

Tamagotchi and Digimon are the biggest ones after Pac-man, so much Big than Tekken and Tales of is not even fair

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Thing i don't understand is why Tekken or Tales of are so "better" as DLC choices for Namco Bandai

Tamagotchi and Digimon are the biggest ones after Pac-man, so much Big than Tekken and Tales of is not even fair
im with you on that one forget tekken and tales

RileyXY1

Smash Hero

I don't know really. People are convinced that Heihachi and Lloyd are the only possible second Namco Bandai reps when that is not true at all.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I don't know really. People are convinced that Heihachi and Lloyd are the only possible second Namco Bandai reps when that is not true at all.
as us and any soul calibur fan will argue
People are sheep that assume that the company's favorites are guaranteed to get first dibs.

I may have forgotten, but I bet people thought the same thing about :ultryu: for 4's base game reveals.

Prince Koopa Jr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperLuigiXD
Switch FC
SW-6463-6785-0502
People are sheep that assume that the company's favorites are guaranteed to get first dibs.

I may have forgotten, but I bet people thought the same thing about :ultryu: for 4's base game reveals.
Unexpected reveals have happened, going to be on the edge of my seat in anticipation about who the other 4 fighters are

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

Though to be fair, Ryu is owned by Capcom USA, not Capcom Japan. Sakurai has to go to a different company. Even then, there's a good reason for it; he couldn't figure out a way to faithfully represent the Street Fighter mechanics at the time. Not that it matters, as Ryu and MegaMan are two of Capcom's biggest icons regardless. Either could've gotten in base game and made a ton of sense. They're just that huge and recognizable.

In other companies' cases, where they don't have two major icons who are on pretty much the same level, they went with the way bigger one first(Sonic) if possible. Konami wasn't asked for a character in the first place, which is why we got Snake, who is arguably a lesser icon than some of their other ones. Though you could argue that Frogger and Bomberman and bigger than Castlevania? Either way, that's not who was gotten. Even then, Simon is still a rather big icon respectively. Or basically, it's more or less what you said; there is no pattern/rule essentially. There's a lot of factors that go into the choice. One of the most important is simply how the character comes up in the first place. Sonic was inevitable even if Yuji Naka didn't ask for him to be in during Melee. Snake was not in the same category as he may not have been the first chosen for a Konami character to begin with. It makes me wonder if he was going to go for Simon(though I imagine Richter could be a regular clone at that point if he was in Brawl? If he got in, anyway) originally if he had the full choice at the time. But it simply wasn't a situation that could come up. Sakurai even noted that his love of Castlevania was part of the reason, with the other being the ballot.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
In those days, Capcom had basically stopped doing anything for Mega Man (besides approving merchandise and tie-ins), so it's likely that people assumed Ryu would snub him over regardless. They didn't realise just how much control Sakurai has over Smash picks.
Not entirely true. He had a fully licensed Comic, and I don't mean the crossover with Sonic alone. I'd hardly call that a tie-in as is. That's pretty much just another work among the franchise, just one Smash gamers don't care about(which I can get why).

Though MegaMan was easily a more popular choice(didn't Sakurai say popularity was part of why?), Ryu was more expected. That's the difference.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Not entirely true. He had a fully licensed Comic, and I don't mean the crossover with Sonic alone. I'd hardly call that a tie-in as is. That's pretty much just another work among the franchise, just one Smash gamers don't care about(which I can get why).

Though MegaMan was easily a more popular choice(didn't Sakurai say popularity was part of why?), Ryu was more expected. That's the difference.
In any case, people just wanted Mega Man to be in games again, and not be reduced to the fate of Betty Boop. Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 had only exacerbated that sentiment, since it had MM characters, but no Blue Bomber.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
In any case, people just wanted Mega Man to be in games again, and not be reduced to the fate of Betty Boop. Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 had only exacerbated that sentiment, since it had MM characters, but no Blue Bomber.
Made even worse that their reason is "he's basically a shotoclone, and we don't want to change him up". So they don't add X that game. And then they just add Akuma despite this. So MegaMan's too similar and Akuma isn't? Their excuses were honestly terrible. Tron got added due to huge fan demand too, which just shows they were being really dumb about this. Like, they could've added X that game as well with a new moveset and people would've been satisfied. Zero isn't a MegaMan to most people in the same way. Infinite helped fix the issue, but not all that much, since the game had an even worse set of cuts. At least MegaMan characters were in the game, so it got facepalms but still sold fine. I still bought it because it still had a good roster. MvCI? You don't cut the X-Men, not all of them. They would've been fine if at least Wolverine was there. It's like not putting Mario or Pikachu in Smash(Wolverine is the Pikachu in this case, literally being put on covers of comics to sell them even if he's not in the game. Mario's moveset resembles Ryu in many ways, and pretty much is the grandfather of his genre too).

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Made even worse that their reason is "he's basically a shotoclone, and we don't want to change him up". So they don't add X that game. And then they just add Akuma despite this. So MegaMan's too similar and Akuma isn't? Their excuses were honestly terrible. Tron got added due to huge fan demand too, which just shows they were being really dumb about this. Like, they could've added X that game as well with a new moveset and people would've been satisfied. Zero isn't a MegaMan to most people in the same way. Infinite helped fix the issue, but not all that much, since the game had an even worse set of cuts. At least MegaMan characters were in the game, so it got facepalms but still sold fine. I still bought it because it still had a good roster. MvCI? You don't cut the X-Men, not all of them. They would've been fine if at least Wolverine was there. It's like not putting Mario or Pikachu in Smash(Wolverine is the Pikachu in this case, literally being put on covers of comics to sell them even if he's not in the game. Mario's moveset resembles Ryu in many ways, and pretty much is the grandfather of his genre too).
I still remember the most silliest and dumbest excuse that was said.

Iron Fist initially not getting in because he's "too punchy".

That'd be nixing the shotokan fighters in that case then.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I still remember the most silliest and dumbest excuse that was said.

Iron Fist initially not getting in because he's "too punchy".

That'd be nixing the shotokan fighters in that case then.
Yep. They really went silly. Albeit, I will admit that not every developer is amazing at making characters that only punch feel unique like Sakurai. No excuse for what they pulled with MegaMan. They could've just admitted they felt like using somebody a bit more relevant right now, and that they're cutting similar characters, and he's just lower priority and people would've taken it wayyyyyyyyyy better.

...Though I will say Mewtwo not being in Brawl is even worse than MegaMan not being in MvC3.

Graizen

Smash Champion
Yep. They really went silly. Albeit, I will admit that not every developer is amazing at making characters that only punch feel unique like Sakurai. No excuse for what they pulled with MegaMan. They could've just admitted they felt like using somebody a bit more relevant right now, and that they're cutting similar characters, and he's just lower priority and people would've taken it wayyyyyyyyyy better.

...Though I will say Mewtwo not being in Brawl is even worse than MegaMan not being in MvC3.
I don't think so.
If Pikachu was not in Brawl, this would be the same as Megaman not being in MvC3.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I don't think so.
If Pikachu was not in Brawl, this would be the same as Megaman not being in MvC3.
Eh, no. Mewtwo is more like how MegaMan is. A highly important character, but far less important than the main mascot. Especially considering Marvel VS Capcom started off via X-Men VS Street Fighter. Though of course, Mewtwo definitely is more important than MegaMan(in MVC) would be to Smash in comparison. MegaMan was given tons of praise for being in, but if he wasn't, it wouldn't make people too crazy to begin with. Some complaints, sure. When Mewtwo was cut, people were completely crazy over it. He wasn't in 4's base game, and it had a huge backlash. What saved the game was announcing him as DLC too.

It's why Pikachu is pretty much the Wolverine of the game. Mewtwo is more on MegaMan's level of importance. Absolutely should be in there, but clearly is not super high priority either. The fact they both have a "X" version is a coincidence... and not why I made the comparison either.

The other issue is that while people gave a lot of backlash to Mewtwo not being in Brawl, it still sold well because there was still a lot of great stuff. Part of why it's more like the MegaMan situation. If Pikachu wasn't in there? The game would do far more horribly. There's no way it wouldn't get immense backlash. Not even Mewtwo would be nearly as bad.

While MegaMan is definitely closer to Mewtwo when it comes to how important they are to MvC and Smash respectively, Pikachu is pretty much Smash's Wolverine. Removal of him is a death sentence for your game, or almost entirely. I haven't checked Infinite's sales, but I can definitely say it didn't do all that well from what I read. I think it still did decently enough due to people interested in mechanics, etc. at least.

Graizen

Smash Champion
Eh, no. Mewtwo is more like how MegaMan is. A highly important character, but far less important than the main mascot. Especially considering Marvel VS Capcom started off via X-Men VS Street Fighter. Though of course, Mewtwo definitely is more important than MegaMan(in MVC) would be to Smash in comparison. MegaMan was given tons of praise for being in, but if he wasn't, it wouldn't make people too crazy to begin with. Some complaints, sure. When Mewtwo was cut, people were completely crazy over it. He wasn't in 4's base game, and it had a huge backlash. What saved the game was announcing him as DLC too.

It's why Pikachu is pretty much the Wolverine of the game. Mewtwo is more on MegaMan's level of importance. Absolutely should be in there, but clearly is not super high priority either. The fact they both have a "X" version is a coincidence... and not why I made the comparison either.

The other issue is that while people gave a lot of backlash to Mewtwo not being in Brawl, it still sold well because there was still a lot of great stuff. Part of why it's more like the MegaMan situation. If Pikachu wasn't in there? The game would do far more horribly. There's no way it wouldn't get immense backlash. Not even Mewtwo would be nearly as bad.

While MegaMan is definitely closer to Mewtwo when it comes to how important they are to MvC and Smash respectively, Pikachu is pretty much Smash's Wolverine. Removal of him is a death sentence for your game, or almost entirely. I haven't checked Infinite's sales, but I can definitely say it didn't do all that well from what I read. I think it still did decently enough due to people interested in mechanics, etc. at least.
Ah not for me , i never played MvC3 just becouse Megaman was not there. Im sorry.

For me Zero was never the "main character" , and will never be.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Ah not for me , i never played MvC3 just becouse Megaman was not there. Im sorry.

For me Zero was never the "main character" , and will never be.
Zero was meant to be the main character of X, but that fell through. It's mainly why X exists. And agreed. He's not a true MegaMan. At least in the X series. There's no question of his importance, as he shares the main character roles with Sigma and X respectively.

Graizen

Smash Champion
Zero was meant to be the main character of X, but that fell through. It's mainly why X exists. And agreed. He's not a true MegaMan. At least in the X series. There's no question of his importance, as he shares the main character roles with Sigma and X respectively.
And he is important, i love Zero!

But a Marvel vs Capcom Game with no Megaman? But Zero and Tron? Why?

It's like making a Smash Bros Game and not putting Mario but just Luigi and Bowser.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
And he is important, i love Zero!

But a Marvel vs Capcom Game with no Megaman? But Zero and Tron? Why?

It's like making a Smash Bros Game and not putting Mario but just Luigi and Bowser.
I still prefer the Mewtwo comparison, though that kind of works too, as we have Jigglpuff in there. Though if we still had Pichu, that'd work a bit too.

Either way, it's just kind of wrong how they did it.

Speaking of Agumon(heh), I wonder if he has any good MUGEN versions.

Graizen

Smash Champion
I still prefer the Mewtwo comparison, though that kind of works too, as we have Jigglpuff in there. Though if we still had Pichu, that'd work a bit too.

Either way, it's just kind of wrong how they did it.

Speaking of Agumon(heh), I wonder if he has any good MUGEN versions.
Maybe, there is a 2D version of Agumon from Digimon Battle Spirit.

Top Bottom