• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Burning Digimon Dinosaur - Agumon for Smash - Digimon Survive 2020

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Misty actually uses a model based upon her anime portrayal. I doubt Sakurai cares about that alone. Now, if it's difficult to get the licensing, he won't bother at all. Which probably would be the case... for some series. Angewomon probably wouldn't even matter, since she has game designs she can use. Debuting in the anime/non-game was only relevant for playable 3rd party characters at best anyway. It never was even mentioned when it came to any other kind of thing. Though again, licensing is the barrier and nothing else, really.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
At any rate, at least the Digimon in question have plenty of game appearances. Meanwhile, the Pokémon anime characters stopped mattering for the games after the 90s.
outside yellow i dont think they ever mattered

Misty actually uses a model based upon her anime portrayal. I doubt Sakurai cares about that alone. Now, if it's difficult to get the licensing, he won't bother at all. Which probably would be the case... for some series. Angewomon probably wouldn't even matter, since she has game designs she can use. Debuting in the anime/non-game was only relevant for playable 3rd party characters at best anyway. It never was even mentioned when it came to any other kind of thing. Though again, licensing is the barrier and nothing else, really.
well nintendo, game freak and the pokemon company own just about everything to do with the franchise anime included i believe so i dont think licensing is the issue there not sure if the same is true of digimon and namco bandai

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
well nintendo, game freak and the pokemon company own just about everything to do with the franchise anime included i believe so i dont think licensing is the issue there not sure if the same is true of digimon and namco bandai
Only stuff that's anime-only at best may be an issue. Though that falls under Toei for some, maybe? It might be designs at best, not the entire character. Digimon had a Manga before an anime, so some characters would be among that. Tai, if I remember right, debuted in the Manga first. The death variations of monsters did too(DeathDevimon, etc.), and never appeared outside of it. Overall, it likely wouldn't affect someone like Angewomon, since she has a ton of game portrayals. Though I doubt it'd be hard to get her even then. I'd at worst worry about if there's an issue with her character design, but I don't think her cleavage matters enough for the game? It's not particularly bad.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Only stuff that's anime-only at best may be an issue. Though that falls under Toei for some, maybe? It might be designs at best, not the entire character. Digimon had a Manga before an anime, so some characters would be among that. Tai, if I remember right, debuted in the Manga first. The death variations of monsters did too(DeathDevimon, etc.), and never appeared outside of it. Overall, it likely wouldn't affect someone like Angewomon, since she has a ton of game portrayals. Though I doubt it'd be hard to get her even then. I'd at worst worry about if there's an issue with her character design, but I don't think her cleavage matters enough for the game? It's not particularly bad.
I mean, Ann came with her cleavage intact, so I think it'll be fine. It wouldn't be like what happened to some Digimon in English dubs for some of the later shows (since Western broadcast standards tend to be strict).

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Only stuff that's anime-only at best may be an issue. Though that falls under Toei for some, maybe? It might be designs at best, not the entire character. Digimon had a Manga before an anime, so some characters would be among that. Tai, if I remember right, debuted in the Manga first. The death variations of monsters did too(DeathDevimon, etc.), and never appeared outside of it. Overall, it likely wouldn't affect someone like Angewomon, since she has a ton of game portrayals.
regardless of licencing issues youve still gotta wonder what sakurai would want to include i think hed want to focus on the games and probably just the digimon

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
regardless of licencing issues youve still gotta wonder what sakurai would want to include i think hed want to focus on the games and probably just the digimon
He'd probably focus on both where possible. The anime is severely popular as well. The games don't have the same impact. That's an important part of the series' history. There's a reason why Pokemon references the anime, and it's because of how big it is(did you know that the anime was the debut of the franchise in some areas of the world?). There's stuff he can't easily do, like use any anime music without extra licensing. But that's pretty unlikely when there's other options among the games too. Never mind that a lot of the anime music is divided among regions, which makes it even harder to license. Even the dubbed versions of the anime music weren't used Tri(though editing the music in is another reason, licensing is still a key role in that factor).

I mean, Ann came with her cleavage intact, so I think it'll be fine. It wouldn't be like what happened to some Digimon in English dubs for some of the later shows (since Western broadcast standards tend to be strict).
Ah, sweet. Then no worries.

Last edited:

HenryWong122

Smash Apprentice
Angewomon debuted in Digital Monster Ver. S which came out on September 23, 1998, 1 year, 1 month and 29 days before her debut in Digimon Adventure - Episode 37 which came out on November 21, 1999. Contrary to some peoples belief she did not originally digivolve from Angemon instead she evolved from Gatomon. Some people also believe that Gatomon originally digivolved into SaberLeomon, but she digivolved into Magnadramon in addition to Angewomon.
I problem I just thought of with Agumon in Smash is, what would his recovery be?

Graizen

Smash Champion
He'd probably focus on both where possible. The anime is severely popular as well. The games don't have the same impact. That's an important part of the series' history. There's a reason why Pokemon references the anime, and it's because of how big it is(did you know that the anime was the debut of the franchise in some areas of the world?). There's stuff he can't easily do, like use any anime music without extra licensing. But that's pretty unlikely when there's other options among the games too. Never mind that a lot of the anime music is divided among regions, which makes it even harder to license. Even the dubbed versions of the anime music weren't used Tri(though editing the music in is another reason, licensing is still a key role in that factor).

Ah, sweet. Then no worries.
Dub was not good for Digimon's names, thay changed some for the complete worst.

LordKnightmon is called "RhodoKnightmon" or "Crusadermon"

I problem I just thought of with Agumon in Smash is, what would his recovery be?
A bad one, he could change in to MetalGreymon and fly?

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Dub was not good for Digimon's names, thay changed some for the complete worst.

LordKnightmon is called "RhodoKnightmon" or "Crusadermon"
Crusadermon was a good name, to be fair. LoadKnightmon was awful. RhodoKnightmon doesn't sound too great in English, though. It would have to be said like LordKnightmon to sound remotely good. Pronouncing the words is also fairly important at times to make it work within the show.

Though I wasn't talking about bad dub names. The dub music was pretty good at times, and some was cheesy too. We'd still have many dub names anyway, depending upon how the licensing goes. SlushAngemon was even worse than LoadKnightmon, which sounded near identical to LordKnightmon, at least. Marusumon was a terrible way to do it when Marsmon sounded fine to begin with. Fusion had some eh names, though not all were beyond bad. RedMeramon worked since BlueMeramon was in the same episode. Still offputting, but logical in context.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
but pokemon doesnt reference the anime beyond the voices and misty' trophy way back in melee, we have no way of knowing that sakurai would want to include anything from any anime related to any franchise in smash

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
but pokemon doesnt reference the anime beyond the voices and misty' trophy way back in melee, we have no way of knowing that sakurai would want to include anything from any anime related to any franchise in smash
This is incorrect. Pokemon Trainer's Smash 4 trophy directly drops Ash's name, comparing the two characters.

Never mind that Greninja actually has Ash-Greninja as his new Final Smash and uses his anime-only kunai in Ultimate, changed up from being more game-based in 4.

He still continues to reference the anime in later games. Brawl had the least amount in comparison, where there's only a tangible similarity between Pokemon Trainer and Ash(as the team is pretty much as close to Ash's as one can get. Charizard and Squirtle are a given, but Bulbasaur nearly evolved. But it's a nice coincidence and all).

...Oh, right. Lucario's Aura is pretty much entirely from the anime. As is his overall moveset design. He has no real game basis. Aura isn't even a proper game ability. It's something he only has in the anime. In fact, it's used during the SSE, where he's able to actually find Snake in his box, as he can read auras in Smash itself. This is not a game-related thing in any way. So yeah, he's always referenced the anime in some way. Pikachu and Jigglypuff's fighting styles are pretty much remnants of the anime to begin with from the start. Mewtwo's Shadow Ball actually is anime first too, not from the games. It's one of its signature movie moves.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
For the record, I check this topic all the time. No need to tag me.

I actually wonder if Sakurai would take notes from Agumon and the Greymon(s) various forms to make a combination of moves. Like how Link(Smash 64), despite being his OOT design, uses attacks from games that he can't do all together. To clarify, he can't use the Upthrust/Downthrust and Hookshot/Boomerang/Bombs/Bow in the same game in any way. He's a combination of games. In this case, using something like Samudramon/Gaiomon could also broaden his moveset for WarGreymon. I also hope he uses the more updated dub names. Fusion actually used MetalGreymon's proper attack names.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Much more interested on the mechanic than the actual move- the moves can translate into almost anything based on necessity for play style. This is for all characters, but especially one who could so well be the face of the home pet era.

Prince Koopa Jr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperLuigiXD
Switch FC
SW-6463-6785-0502

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
This is incorrect. Pokemon Trainer's Smash 4 trophy directly drops Ash's name, comparing the two characters.

Never mind that Greninja actually has Ash-Greninja as his new Final Smash and uses his anime-only kunai in Ultimate, changed up from being more game-based in 4.

He still continues to reference the anime in later games. Brawl had the least amount in comparison, where there's only a tangible similarity between Pokemon Trainer and Ash(as the team is pretty much as close to Ash's as one can get. Charizard and Squirtle are a given, but Bulbasaur nearly evolved. But it's a nice coincidence and all).

...Oh, right. Lucario's Aura is pretty much entirely from the anime. As is his overall moveset design. He has no real game basis. Aura isn't even a proper game ability. It's something he only has in the anime. In fact, it's used during the SSE, where he's able to actually find Snake in his box, as he can read auras in Smash itself. This is not a game-related thing in any way. So yeah, he's always referenced the anime in some way. Pikachu and Jigglypuff's fighting styles are pretty much remnants of the anime to begin with from the start. Mewtwo's Shadow Ball actually is anime first too, not from the games. It's one of its signature movie moves.
ash greninja is basically a variation on mega evolution and that stuff about the aura is not true lucario is known as the aura pokemon all his pokedex entries refer to his aura powers including how he was able to see snake lucario's whole thing is aura in the games in the anime in everything, a lot of trainers has used the three original starters so you could compare it to a lot of trainers all pokemons fighting styles are based on things they do in the games which is where the anime got it all from, expect for incieroar who just behaves as a generic wrestler and has very little to do with games or anime but most pokemon stuff routes back to the games

well have to see if i cant come up with a move set from that

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
ash greninja is basically a variation on mega evolution and that stuff about the aura is not true lucario is known as the aura pokemon all his pokedex entries refer to his aura powers including how he was able to see snake lucario's whole thing is aura in the games in the anime in everything, a lot of trainers has used the three original starters so you could compare it to a lot of trainers all pokemons fighting styles are based on things they do in the games which is where the anime got it all from, expect for incieroar who just behaves as a generic wrestler and has very little to do with games or anime but most pokemon stuff routes back to the games
Dude I know this is not English class, but a giant, paragraph-long, run on sentence, can be difficult to understand.
And I want to.

I don't think most Pokemon play as they do in games, inherently. Anime, maybe.
We never saw a :ultjigglypuff: fight in either, until a Wigglytuff battle many years after 64 (maybe in Diamond and Pearl, I forget specifically). Sakurai basically created the way Jigglypuff would fight, and Pokemon followed up.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Lucario does not fight whatsoever similar in the games compared to the anime. The aura ability has zero gameplay factors in Pokemon itself. It's a pure anime thing, which makes sense, as he was based upon his movie appearance with a martial art stuff.

Ash-Greninja isn't a Mega Evolution whatsoever. It's actually an inherent skill. Never mind that it works entirely differently and is an actual unique Ability when translated to the Pokemon games. It's 100% an anime thing. Reality is, every Smash game takes from the anime or directly references it in some way. Now, it is possible that he only added Ash-Greninja due to it making its first game appearance(again, it's an Ability in Pokemon, not a Mega Evolution. It's like the form change, more specifically) in the ORAS demo, but the fact Greninja uses his anime kunai instead of his water swords is a strict anime reference anyway. ...Besides that, Ash-Greninja came from the anime entirely, so the fact it has an ORAS appearance before Ultimate doesn't much matter. These are all strict anime first factors. Sakurai has made it clear he looks at the anime for Pokemon sometimes. He takes from it quite often. Many Pokemon had the anime as part of why they got in(Jigglypuff, partially what helped Pichu due to the movie factor, very specifically Lucario, who was chosen from the Pokemon movie, not from the games in any way. PIkachu, Charizard, and Mewtwo had it as a partial factor, as it helped determine some of their movesets. Rest, not so much. They're generally more game-related instead).

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Dude I know this is not English class, but a giant, paragraph-long, run on sentence, can be difficult to understand.
And I want to.

I don't think most Pokemon play as they do in games, inherently. Anime, maybe.
We never saw a :ultjigglypuff: fight in either, until a Wigglytuff battle many years after 64 (maybe in Diamond and Pearl, I forget specifically). Sakurai basically created the way Jigglypuff would fight, and Pokemon followed up.
so what youre saying is jigglypuff had no offensive moves in gen 1? also im scottish its instinctual to misuse the english language

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
so what youre saying is jigglypuff had no offensive moves in gen 1? also im scottish its instinctual to misuse the english language
I believe it has been proven that Jigglypuff was included due to her being able to be made off of Kirby, as well as being quite popular in Japan.
What I'm saying, is that Jigglypuff's entire playstyle was invented because she is a Balloon, and that eventually the anime adapting Sakurai's vision into Pokemon cannon.

For the record, Jigglypuff in gen 1 did not have many offensive moves. Or moves at all. Full list of level up moves:
Sing
Pound
Disable
Defense Curl
Double Slap
Rest
PSYCHIC
Body Slam
Double-Edge

Full List of other moves she could be taught:
Thirty of the fifty TMs, and 2 of the five HMs.

Honestly, she used most of the moves she was given. Others (such as Disable and Psychic) may have even been held off while they attempted to add Mewtwo in 64.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Lucario does not fight whatsoever similar in the games compared to the anime. The aura ability has zero gameplay factors in Pokemon itself. It's a pure anime thing, which makes sense, as he was based upon his movie appearance with a martial art stuff.

Ash-Greninja isn't a Mega Evolution whatsoever. It's actually an inherent skill. Never mind that it works entirely differently and is an actual unique Ability when translated to the Pokemon games. It's 100% an anime thing. Reality is, every Smash game takes from the anime or directly references it in some way. Now, it is possible that he only added Ash-Greninja due to it making its first game appearance(again, it's an Ability in Pokemon, not a Mega Evolution. It's like the form change, more specifically) in the ORAS demo, but the fact Greninja uses his anime kunai instead of his water swords is a strict anime reference anyway. ...Besides that, Ash-Greninja came from the anime entirely, so the fact it has an ORAS appearance before Ultimate doesn't much matter. These are all strict anime first factors. Sakurai has made it clear he looks at the anime for Pokemon sometimes. He takes from it quite often. Many Pokemon had the anime as part of why they got in(Jigglypuff, partially what helped Pichu due to the movie factor, very specifically Lucario, who was chosen from the Pokemon movie, not from the games in any way. PIkachu, Charizard, and Mewtwo had it as a partial factor, as it helped determine some of their movesets. Rest, not so much. They're generally more game-related instead).
again lucario's whole thing is aura in everything all his aura abilities in the anime come from its pokedex in the games and saying aura has zero gameplay factor is incorrect as there is such a thing as aura sphere in fact lucarios main trait in smash isnt actually based on anything he can do in the games or anime, and he uses martial arts because hes a fighting type

i never said ash greninja was a mega evolution i said it was comparable as it involves a pokemon taking on a more powerful form, now no one has actually ever describe what ash greninja was created for i mean a lot of stuff from the games turn up in the anime first, also the kunais are for cut and arieal ace in the anime where as in smash theyre made of water really theyre just a change on the water blades from ssb4

pichu and jigglypuff were roster padding, lucario is one of the most popular gen 4 pokemon regardless of the movie

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I believe it has been proven that Jigglypuff was included due to her being able to be made off of Kirby, as well as being quite popular in Japan.
What I'm saying, is that Jigglypuff's entire playstyle was invented because she is a Balloon, and that eventually the anime adapting Sakurai's vision into Pokemon cannon.

For the record, Jigglypuff in gen 1 did not have many offensive moves. Or moves at all. Full list of level up moves:
Sing
Pound
Disable
Defense Curl
Double Slap
Rest
PSYCHIC
Body Slam
Double-Edge

Full List of other moves she could be taught:
Thirty of the fifty TMs, and 2 of the five HMs.

Honestly, she used most of the moves she was given. Others (such as Disable and Psychic) may have even been held off while they attempted to add Mewtwo in 64.
well that just proves shes based off kirby if anything

look this is all terribly off topic lets get back to agumon

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
again lucario's whole thing is aura in everything all his aura abilities in the anime come from its pokedex in the games and saying aura has zero gameplay factor is incorrect as there is such a thing as aura sphere in fact lucarios main trait in smash isnt actually based on anything he can do in the games or anime, and he uses martial arts because hes a fighting type

i never said ash greninja was a mega evolution i said it was comparable as it involves a pokemon taking on a more powerful form, now no one has actually ever describe what ash greninja was created for i mean a lot of stuff from the games turn up in the anime first, also the kunais are for cut and arieal ace in the anime where as in smash theyre made of water really theyre just a change on the water blades from ssb4

pichu and jigglypuff were roster padding, lucario is one of the most popular gen 4 pokemon regardless of the movie
...His anime version came 100% first. He was created in the anime for the games. Not the other way around. Aura Sphere barely relates to some Aura ability(which again, does not exist in the games. It's Anime and Smash only. It's pure lore which had zero gameplay effect).

He's heavily based upon his original movie appearance, where he fights like a martial artist. Where the only inspiration existed as he was worked on during the movie debut, not during his game debut.

Ash-Greninja isn't comparable to a mega evolution anyway. Not as comparable as people think it is. It's a form change more accurately. The key part of Mega Evolution was always using a Mega Stone. He didn't have one to help differentiate Ash-Greninja as its own entirely different thing. It wasn't really inspired by Mega Evolution too much at all. It pretty much is a form change in practice too. Both the games and anime.

Jigglypuff still had its anime presence that heavily affected why it was chosen. Pichu also was part of some movies, a factor Sakurai took into account when choosing characters. You are aware he looks towards the anime heavily for choosing characters, right? Lucario was directly chosen due to the movie anyway. Not popularity in itself. Nobody knew he'd be popular alone. He was heavily promoted(for the movie first) and had a strong chance to be, making him an easy addition to Smash. It took them literally a year to make the Aura mechanic worked, based heavily on his anime design(where it actually did something, unlike the games where it's lore and meaningless in gameplay).

And yes, clones were part of why Jigglypuff and Pichu got in, but they still had the anime as a key factor. Pichu being Gen II's mascot also helped.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
...His anime version came 100% first. He was created in the anime for the games. Not the other way around. Aura Sphere barely relates to some Aura ability(which again, does not exist in the games. It's Anime and Smash only. It's pure lore which had zero gameplay effect).

He's heavily based upon his original movie appearance, where he fights like a martial artist. Where the only inspiration existed as he was worked on during the movie debut, not during his game debut.

Ash-Greninja isn't comparable to a mega evolution anyway. Not as comparable as people think it is. It's a form change more accurately. The key part of Mega Evolution was always using a Mega Stone. He didn't have one to help differentiate Ash-Greninja as its own entirely different thing. It wasn't really inspired by Mega Evolution too much at all. It pretty much is a form change in practice too. Both the games and anime.

Jigglypuff still had its anime presence that heavily affected why it was chosen. Pichu also was part of some movies, a factor Sakurai took into account when choosing characters. You are aware he looks towards the anime heavily for choosing characters, right? Lucario was directly chosen due to the movie anyway. Not popularity in itself. Nobody knew he'd be popular alone. He was heavily promoted(for the movie first) and had a strong chance to be, making him an easy addition to Smash. It took them literally a year to make the Aura mechanic worked, based heavily on his anime design(where it actually did something, unlike the games where it's lore and meaningless in gameplay).

And yes, clones were part of why Jigglypuff and Pichu got in, but they still had the anime as a key factor. Pichu being Gen II's mascot also helped.
Yep- it's also why we have some of the pokeball versions that we have.
Thunder from Pikachu seems to be from the anime.
Goldeen seems to be as well, though I think it was stated as being something else.

Either way- Agumon would likely have something to do with the anime as well.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yep- it's also why we have some of the pokeball versions that we have.
Thunder from Pikachu seems to be from the anime.
Goldeen seems to be as well, though I think it was stated as being something else.

Either way- Agumon would likely have something to do with the anime as well.
Goldeen actually is a straight anime reference. It only used Splash in its first appearance. It was worthless outside of the water. Magikarp's main focus was "turn into Gyarados", which is probably why it's not a Pokeball Pokemon.

Thunder as is, yeah. Agility is pretty much based upon the anime too. Thunder Jolt seems to be a cross between anime and TCG(where it was a mistranslated version of Thunder Bolt). In an episode, it uses a tiny spark similar to Smash. Even Smash's customs treat it as a very different move, as Thunder Shock and Thunder Wave are the custom moves. It's not from any game regardless, cause it ain't a Thunderbolt, that's for sure.

And yeah, Agumon has a ton of anime stuff to work with, whether it's voices, animations, or even for his Digivolution design. The egg transformation definitely transitions better to Smash, and if I remember right, it was from the anime first? I think Savers might've started that? Might've started in the games though.

Last edited:

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
The crazy thing about Digimon having the digivolution mechanic as an idea, is that you can just have Agumon jump into Greymon & it'd be insanely cool & interesting. You wouldn't even need MetalGreymon / WarGreymon simply because Greymon IMO would be enough for the mechanic alone. However, it would always be extra & wonderful to get more "oomph" to the idea.

A digivolution in itself to me at least, means the following ↓

Agumon as a fighter:
  • Light
  • Close-ranged with few mid-ranged specials
  • Less-committed buttons to press
  • Fast frame data, low activity to hitboxes
  • Low % output
  • Lack-of moves due to being first-stage base fighter (This is optional. This point isn't necessary.) (Yes I know Fresh & In-Training are weaker than Rookie level : P )
  • Superior attributes
    (Air accel, air speed, run speed, walk speed, better tech options, etc.)
  • Inferior drawbacks
    (Air friction, laggier skid animation, ground friction, initial dash speed, walk acceleration, floaty fall speed, gravity, shield size, weak ledge options, etc.)

Greymon as the next digivolution in line as a fighter:
  • Heavy
  • Mid-close ranged with improved mid-ranged specials
  • More-commitment to buttons pressed
  • Slower frame data, more activity to hitboxes
  • High % output
  • More of a move-set to use due to the mechanic (This is optional. Not necessary.)
  • Superior attributes
    (Air friction, skid, traction, dash accel, walk accel, medium-fastfaller, huge shield size, strong ledge options, etc.)

That's just from a 1-2 step concept. If they really went all-out, then Digivolution would be a wondrous UI element that shows how close said Digimon would be to digivolution. The catch is that it wouldn't just be given to you for free to activate. You'd have to land an X amount of damage or simply get a good hit in to activate how brave you were to use the mechanic.

Hey people, all attacks from Agumon to WarGreymon, let's analyze it:

Agumon

View attachment 210816

Greymon

View attachment 210817

MetalGreymon

View attachment 210818

WarGreymon

View attachment 210819
Okay, first off.

Agumon:
  • Battle Hawk
    Look, I know Digimon world 4 wasn't the best game, but if anything, we can actually discuss content from the game & what it had to actually provide Augmon a weapon, lmao. Straight-up give him an Ax. If we really wanted to, he could get "Judgement" which was his Signature weapon from that game. However, to be simple & original, Battle Hawk would be the go-to choice. I can clearly foresee the Ax coming out in his move-set for aerials, smashes, and tilts. However, I wouldn't just paste-in the Ax to be most of his move-set. I could say, maybe... 1 of each using the Ax. F-Tilt could be the regular auto-attack from DW4 you do. F-Smash could be when Agumon holds the attack button & charges it for the lunging spin attack, but obviously it would undergo a change. Something simple like, an overhead swing but showing Agumon put in all his weight to it! The spinning in DW4 could be an aerial, but I actually would not rather see the Battle Hawk be used for an aerial choice of move. Grounded is something I prefer to see for Battle Hawk remain as.
  • Cross Fire
    I can easily see this just being his Ledge Attack when getting up off ledge. If the description matches what it does, then viciously biting someone as he gets up from ledge is perfectly fine.
  • Claw Attack / Mach Jab
    This is a no-brainer. Claw Attack can be a gentlemen Jab combo that hits 1/2/3, & when tapped or held on the 2nd jab input creates the rapid jab sequence. The finisher attack can be the punch they describe.
  • Dynamite Kick
    I see this being his dash attack or an aerial somewhere in his move-set. It could also be a Get-up Attack from the floor.|

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

ok if you want to keep ignoring the fact that all of lucarios abilities are mentioned in the games even if he cant use them in the games then thats your business jigglypuff was added as a clone mainly sakurai said so just about everything pokemon do in the anime comes from the games, lucarios aura jigglypuff being a balloon, though the whole rest thing is seem to be an idea that popped into sakurai's head one day

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
The crazy thing about Digimon having the digivolution mechanic as an idea, is that you can just have Agumon jump into Greymon & it'd be insanely cool & interesting. You wouldn't even need MetalGreymon / WarGreymon simply because Greymon IMO would be enough for the mechanic alone. However, it would always be extra & wonderful to get more "oomph" to the idea.

A digivolution in itself to me at least, means the following ↓

Agumon as a fighter:
  • Light
  • Close-ranged with few mid-ranged specials
  • Less-committed buttons to press
  • Fast frame data, low activity to hitboxes
  • Low % output
  • Lack-of moves due to being first-stage base fighter (This is optional. This point isn't necessary.) (Yes I know Fresh & In-Training are weaker than Rookie level : P )
  • Superior attributes
    (Air accel, air speed, run speed, walk speed, better tech options, etc.)
  • Inferior drawbacks
    (Air friction, laggier skid animation, ground friction, initial dash speed, walk acceleration, floaty fall speed, gravity, shield size, weak ledge options, etc.)

Greymon as the next digivolution in line as a fighter:
  • Heavy
  • Mid-close ranged with improved mid-ranged specials
  • More-commitment to buttons pressed
  • Slower frame data, more activity to hitboxes
  • High % output
  • More of a move-set to use due to the mechanic (This is optional. Not necessary.)
  • Superior attributes
    (Air friction, skid, traction, dash accel, walk accel, medium-fastfaller, huge shield size, strong ledge options, etc.)

That's just from a 1-2 step concept. If they really went all-out, then Digivolution would be a wondrous UI element that shows how close said Digimon would be to digivolution. The catch is that it wouldn't just be given to you for free to activate. You'd have to land an X amount of damage or simply get a good hit in to activate how brave you were to use the mechanic.

Okay, first off.

Agumon:
  • Battle Hawk
    Look, I know Digimon world 4 wasn't the best game, but if anything, we can actually discuss content from the game & what it had to actually provide Augmon a weapon, lmao. Straight-up give him an Ax. If we really wanted to, he could get "Judgement" which was his Signature weapon from that game. However, to be simple & original, Battle Hawk would be the go-to choice. I can clearly foresee the Ax coming out in his move-set for aerials, smashes, and tilts. However, I wouldn't just paste-in the Ax to be most of his move-set. I could say, maybe... 1 of each using the Ax. F-Tilt could be the regular auto-attack from DW4 you do. F-Smash could be when Agumon holds the attack button & charges it for the lunging spin attack, but obviously it would undergo a change. Something simple like, an overhead swing but showing Agumon put in all his weight to it! The spinning in DW4 could be an aerial, but I actually would not rather see the Battle Hawk be used for an aerial choice of move. Grounded is something I prefer to see for Battle Hawk remain as.
  • Cross Fire
    I can easily see this just being his Ledge Attack when getting up off ledge. If the description matches what it does, then viciously biting someone as he gets up from ledge is perfectly fine.
  • Claw Attack / Mach Jab
    This is a no-brainer. Claw Attack can be a gentlemen Jab combo that hits 1/2/3, & when tapped or held on the 2nd jab input creates the rapid jab sequence. The finisher attack can be the punch they describe.
  • Dynamite Kick
    I see this being his dash attack or an aerial somewhere in his move-set. It could also be a Get-up Attack from the floor.|
The thing with Digivolution as a mechanic is that... well... it would seem similar to Persona.
Joker took the whole temporary buff stats. It could be differentiated from Agumon, sure, but to me, Joker basically showed Agumon will not be in this DLC pass.

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
Amy Rose & Charmy the Bee debuted in a Sonic manga but they still get trophies/spirits.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
The thing with Digivolution as a mechanic is that... well... it would seem similar to Persona.
Joker took the whole temporary buff stats. It could be differentiated from Agumon, sure, but to me, Joker basically showed Agumon will not be in this DLC pass.
Arsene as an addition to Joker's move-set & design is really cool, but I'm not sure about the idea of Joker's inclusion overwriting Agumon's chance to be in the DLC pass.

Overall, Arsene actually doesn't change a single stat attribute about Joker. When Joker moves, he's constant & never changes even when Arsene is on the field with him. If you compared Arsene to something else that radically changes the attributes & stats like say, Shulk's Monado Arts, then it's clear that Arsene doesn't radically change Joker in that kind of way. The core differences the Persona does for the protag is:
  • Booted move-set pool (Provided more "oomph" or straight-up changes his specials entirely, especially UpB & DownB)
  • Augmented base move-set (This just means that additional hits were added to Joker's moves. Per-say if Joker's FTilt hits twice, Arsene hits once during Joker's 2nd hit.)
Digivolution is dependent on whether it's just a 1-2 concept with WarGreymon being a Final Smash, or if they go all the way & make Agumon-WarGreymon the choice to make. Either or, it'd be similar to Pokemon Switch in the way where Digivolution benefits the player's choice to revert back to Agumon's strengths or revert off the said Digimon's drawbacks being too harsh so that digi-meter is reserved & used for something else. If they made the digi-meter being the UI element more interesting for the character's archetype, they'd do something like make any spare meter for suped up specials. Kinda similar to Ryu & Ken where they have Light Medium & Heavy variants.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Amy Rose & Charmy the Bee debuted in a Sonic manga but they still get trophies/spirits.
Wait, Amy didn't debut in Sonic CD?

ok if you want to keep ignoring the fact that all of lucarios abilities are mentioned in the games even if he cant use them in the games then thats your business jigglypuff was added as a clone mainly sakurai said so just about everything pokemon do in the anime comes from the games, lucarios aura jigglypuff being a balloon, though the whole rest thing is seem to be an idea that popped into sakurai's head one day
He got those abilities from the anime first. That's the facts.

Jigglypuff being a clone isn't the sole reason. Her anime popularity is a huge factor. Most of the anime stuff in Smash didn't originate from the games to begin with. Actually, a lot of anime stuff got transferred to the games later on(including Ash-Greninja, Mewtwo knowing Shadow Ball, Jigglypuff able to puff herself up, which doesn't exist in the games either, and more). You don't think Lucario was able to notice people via his aura was from the games, do you? No, that's something that debuted in the anime movie, a key feature of him being able to feel life force. It was never replicated in the games at any point. And probably never will be in a Pokemon game because it has no real use there. Aura is an anime-only thing because it only makes sense there. At best he got an Ability which can buff some Fighting moves, which somewhat fits the situation. But he never got an ability even close to something like Ash-Greninja has either, which is an actual straight Anime one. Even Rhydon got an anime-related ability, called Lightningrod. Multiple stuff from the anime does transfer over to Smash, and the Pokemon games. Aura only barely did.

Digivolution's mechanic could activate akin to Joker's mechanic, but it otherwise is nothing alike. It's actually a transformation-related thing. Which would obviously have been impossible in Smash 3DS. Not in Brawl or Melee(probably in Smash 64). However, Digivolution has no easy way to work as it varies per game or show. They may need a partner or defeat a certain amount of enemies to be remotely true to it. A passive mechanic might work, but digivolution is rarely automatic and would be a "activate the effect", like you would a Final Smash.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Digivolution's mechanic could activate akin to Joker's mechanic, but it otherwise is nothing alike. It's actually a transformation-related thing. Which would obviously have been impossible in Smash 3DS. Not in Brawl or Melee(probably in Smash 64). However, Digivolution has no easy way to work as it varies per game or show. They may need a partner or defeat a certain amount of enemies to be remotely true to it. A passive mechanic might work, but digivolution is rarely automatic and would be a "activate the effect", like you would a Final Smash.
I would actually prefer to see a DigiDestined / Tamer on the sidelines help Agumon digivolve. It would fit so well. The idea of Digivolution requiring a tamer & not being interrupted would fit pretty well since it's been accurate in some media that it was possible to attack the current form while they were undergoing Digivolution.

EDIT: This way, if it were say, Tai, then the choice being Agu → Grey → MetalGrey as the line-up for game-play would be very fitting. WarGreymon being the Final Smash works perfectly.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I would actually prefer to see a DigiDestined / Tamer on the sidelines help Agumon digivolve. It would fit so well. The idea of Digivolution requiring a tamer & not being interrupted would fit pretty well since it's been accurate in some media that it was possible to attack the current form while they were undergoing Digivolution.
Considering they'd count as a playable character, I could see only game versions of Tamers showing up, but which ones did that as a partner to Agumon anyway? Didn't all of them debut in the anime/manga? I'm not sure if there's more generic Tamer designs in the same way. Or a tamer that fits well enough from the games. Pokemon Trainer being based upon Red at least worked, especially since the team matched Red or Ash's easily, the two most known versions of the "first Pokemon Trainer" major character(to clarify, many don't know who Red is, thinking he's Ash. It's why using a generic Trainer works well for fans, since it allows everyone to see who they want to see, but also act like they're the trainer with their own name. Brawl had a pretty well updated name system for controls/etc. too).

Top Bottom