• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The British Thread : UK Circuit idea on most recent post !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam es maximus

Smash Journeyman
*groans* i'm always gonna explain myself in excruciating pain whenever i'm making a point (pain is another form of hurt). Anon understood what i was trying to say which was: i'll be 18 in 4 years because i'm currently 14 (10+4) years of age and by then ssbr (super smash bros. revolution) will be out with it's possible online tournaments and so on...
Don't make me boring, you won't like me when i'm boring. :mad:

bornfidelity.com

Smash Master
sorry but that's some kind of a misunderstanding. although i don't know if the revolution smash will be better, and i don't know if the community will just die after it comes out (not if it depends on me anyway) but hanging around in the revolution thread for wayyyy too long convinced me of this; online tournaments won't be. first of all theres always lag which eliminates serious tournament play. then there's not the fun of a tournament altogether, finding the location somewhere far away from where you leave and meeting fellow smashers there. and third, how'd you have the money arranged? every entrant deposits his money on a bank and this amount gets transferred to the bank account of the winner? and who's keeping the brackets then? right ;)

normal tournaments >>> online play.

Adam es maximus

Smash Journeyman
i agree that online tournaments would damage the community somewhat but ask yourself this question: do nintendo really appreciate the fact that there is a whole smash community or do you think that they simply want to make a gimmick into a better reality? I have no real opinion on that matter as i don't work for nintendo.
But if it were to happen what would we be able to do to stop it?
Anyway theres a topic for the revolution smash possibilities so i'll leave it at that.
Back on topic... the brittish smash community is kind of dieng without kone; greyfox is addicted to tournaments (no 'fense grayfox) and he can't support his filthy filthy habbit. It seems like kone was the only person to get things done in the UK but times change and now our main hopes of a tournament to get us going again are with the mafia.

grayfox

Smash Champion
Maximus your new to this, and well, you're wrong >_>

First off boobsfidely.com was saying online WON'T stop tourney play. Read his post again, actual tourneys will NEVER die. Even games that are ment to be played online, pc games like doom or quake or something, have actual tourneys. This will never stop.

As for the UK scene dying without Kone. Well firstly Kone has only held 1 tourney. True he has been a big part of the scene and has helped out but out of Glasgow, TDI1 and 2, TOAST, SW and all the little smashfests that have happened theres been plenty of other time to play in the UK. Another thing being Kone has been semi retired for a long time and we have survived. The UK scene has seen everyone quit and come back, it's far from dying right now beleive me. And i can support my habbit = ) i have 2 tourneys lined up in the next 2 months and me and the rest are the Mafia are talking about hosting our second tourney sometime early next year. Don't think the scene is dying because if anything it's at it's strongest with nearly the whole UK scene traveling to Sweden and there being a large demand for a local tourney, as well as the appearence of 10000's of scrubs like yourself = P

Smashbros

Smash Journeyman
Umm yeh, Kone has barely been in the community for the last year. What do you mean he was the only one to get things done ? Like the london tournie that happend... or his own tournie that he was supposed to be hosting ? >__> And what has happend to your supposed tourie, has that died too ? Well you are right i sure hope mafia can host sw2 coz i cant see any uk tournies coming from anyone else pretty soon, which is kinda sad. But oh well me and my crew are always happy to go abroad to meet legends like makenshi who know how it is.

The UK has always been pretty poor and i'm sure it always will, there's only been a few people in the UK community who have kinda stuck with the game since they first came into the community. The Smash mafia alone is about half of the UK scene >__> the only other consistant tournie goers are Pictish, Quickman and Qwester in edinburgh. And with Doug and Jam down south... thats it. There have been a few others who have kinda showed up once or twice to tournies that aren't too far away from them, but they either dissapeared after that or died. The UK is about the same size as France population wise and much bigger than the netherlands and Sweden but all of those places have much much bigger smash scene's for unknown magical reasons. (they all have their own smashboard and the people are less lazy or alteast have enough of a life that they wont go to tournies) lol

Adam es maximus

Smash Journeyman
lol grayfox for calling me a scrubb. I came to the boards thinking of the game alone without reading any articles about it or anything like that; on a different forum a guy pretended to be kone so i got referred by him kind of? The pain i'll dish you if we smash together is gonna be big :mad:. I still stick with the theory that the mafia are the only people that will provide a decent tournament (in the uk), and i still think that kone had this thing about raising community spirits or something like that.
I've got a crew thats seen how good people are on the boards through vids. and techniques and stuff like that. but the thing is we think we could beat loads of you, but i could very well be wrong and it's not my place to say i or we could be anyone without actually doing it.

grayfox

Smash Champion
Adam es maximus said:
lol grayfox for calling me a scrubb. I came to the boards thinking of the game alone without reading any articles about it or anything like that; on a different forum a guy pretended to be kone so i got referred by him kind of? The pain i'll dish you if we smash together is gonna be big :mad:.
lol

You haven't been to a tourney and beleive me, without sounding arrogant, you don't stand a chance in hell. Also most people found these boards off of their own back, doesn't stop them being scrubby. Hell theres people in our crew that have been playing for almost a year at a high level and i and many others would consider them to be quite scrubby.

Qwester

BRoomer
BRoomer
LOL, poor Allan/Sean.

Adam, it's nearly impossible to get 'good' by todays standards if you don't have experience. Something you (having never been to a tournament nor infact having ever played anyone decent) are lacking. Sorry, but it's how this stuff works. Come to a few tourneys, get some experience under your belt and we'll see what happens.

Mafia 4 lyfe.

Kone

Smash Master
Cool, my name was mentioned =) . What board are you referring to adam? theres a good chance it was myself.

Euan and Ryan are correct in their statements that there has and always will be a UK scene regardless if Im there or had been there =). My recent efforts sizzled out as I just don't appreciate the game as I once did. Carrying through with tournament takes real dedication, I just don't have the will. I apologise to those that were affected by the tournament I attempted to host.

I don't appreciate euans comments though. I do believe that the current slump in the UK scene is due to my absence. I did alot to keep people interested. But then again im slightly arrogant =D.

Id just like to extend an invitation to all and anyone that there more than welcome to come to newcastle and hang out anytime!! jam get yourself up here ! lol

Ed

(and **** me and stu = coolest kids in europe lol)

Adam es maximus

Smash Journeyman
To answer kones question it was on a dodgy vip forum thingy and your name on the forum was wartklaw. The chances of it being you are really slim but still... I know i'm the smash master on those forums but still i'm (strange bunny finger sign) not good.
I kind of think my crew is ready for a good couple of matches and tournaments; nfact consider the mafia and the phazon swordmasters (cheesy i know) to be enemies or at least friendly rivals :p . But i do think i could beat alot of people out there on the boards i've got nothing on germs link or whoever the hell is a good ganon. player (aha an open gap for greatness). But i still think i could steal a couple of matches from you and flaming j could rival the mafia's number 1 samus in a ditto match.
In the end tournaments aren't everything and a person can get good with a set of friends, a cube and evrything that comes with it, a little help from the boards and a bit of natural skill; which coincidentaly i have.

Helios

BRoomer
BRoomer
Adam es maximus said:
In the end tournaments aren't everything and a person can get good with a set of friends, a cube and evrything that comes with it, a little help from the boards and a bit of natural skill; which coincidentaly i have.
No, you're wrong. lol

Adam es maximus

Smash Journeyman
but seriously though helios do you think i could at least steal one match if i have some skill in which it is my honest opinion is less than the mafia's by a bit. In turnaments it's not always the most famous or well recognised person that wins it; sure it happens bu not all the time. I think ken wasn't nearly as well known as he is now before he won that tournament which i have no real evidence or even knowledge to back up, but still the point sounds kind of nice doesn't it?

Helios

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yeah, Ken wasn't well-known prior to TG4, or something like that. But he's a prodigy XD
I mean, you generally can't come out of nowhere and beat experienced people. It just doesn't work that way.

Kone

Smash Master
Ive got nothing against you Adam but against a well experienced, tournament player id highly doubt you taken a game of them; if you did it would be pure luck. First time I played a serious tournament player, Doug, i got 3 or more stocked for 24 hours straight (still would happen heh). AND I was the best out of 10+ friends that played frequently at and out of school >_<.

Your not far from me adam. I live with 3 mates in a student house in newcastle. Get yourself up some weekend and you'll be able to assess how decent you are. If you can't travel 45 minutes north theres no chance you'll make a tournament U_U.

Ed

Qwester

BRoomer
BRoomer
Adam es maximus said:
Adam es maximus said:
but seriously though helios do you think i could at least steal one match if i have some skill in which it is my honest opinion is less than the mafia's by a bit. In turnaments it's not always the most famous or well recognised person that wins it; sure it happens bu not all the time. I think ken wasn't nearly as well known as he is now before he won that tournament which i have no real evidence or even knowledge to back up, but still the point sounds kind of nice doesn't it?
This is why you actually need to play someone decent.

You're wrong. Quite simply. You need some schooling before you'll actually be able to see just how you can improve.

Ken managed to win his first tournament. 2 years ago. The skill levels have progressed a bit since then. Also, it wasn't the first time ken had actually played someone. Slightly different situation there =p.

Less than the mafias by a bit? You really like yourself, don't you? Again, you have nothing to back this on, so I wouldn't go throwing that kinda stuff out, it'll come back to haunt you after your 4 stockings. You really won't have an understanding of 'mindgames' till someone hands you your *** in a nice perfumed pink bag.

Anyway, get some experience. You might actually be taken seriously after that.

grayfox

Smash Champion
There's no point in me posting about how own't you'd get as everyone already has but i hope you can make SW2 whenever it happens, if it happens. Bring that Samus with you too = )

Adam es maximus

Smash Journeyman
lol i was being sarcastic when i said i was a little worse than the mafia but it's kind of hard to portray when you're not actually using an awkward tone of voice. I know i won't be able to beat anyone properly but i'll always stand a small chance, kone i'll see what i can do about meeting up with you, i can take a bus and/or grab hold of a moving car (again sarcasm :ohwell:). All i realy want is to actually go to a tournament and then we'll see how things go. Look out for the 5ft. 4 kid with black hair, brownish skin and a black cube controller i his hand because he's got a name to make lol.
So i take it something, infact anything is gonna happen if we do something together. Like i said before i wanna make something happen but i'm not sure if i can after all the longest it could possibly last is a day. But thats not gonna happen unless everything works out but i pretty much garantee that it won't. So if anyone else has even an idea then i'd be happy to hear it we'll see how things turn out.
Remeber the sooner someone makes a tournament the sooner you can shut me up :p

grayfox

Smash Champion
We aren't all sitting around here because we don't want a tourney. Due to tourneys abroad and lack of preparation time Mafia won't be able to hold a tourney 'till early next year. I would like a smashfest somewhere before the Dutch tourney that's coming up soon and i'd hope that you and your crew could make it Adam. If someone in Edin/Glasgow area could do this or even in England if it's a solid smashfest we can count on traveling for then i'm sure Mafia would travel and we could all get some good games.

Adam es maximus

Smash Journeyman
i know i know, i'm just put of because i can't make it to the dutch tournament. by the way about how old are you guys at the mafia, it'd be kind of freaky to turn up to a tournament where everyone towered above me and stuff like that.
I'm gonna see if i can connect with anyone round me apart from kone (i'll try to take your offer up kone); can everyone in the brittish thread try to put yourself on the interactive smash finder, because right now me and a couple of mafia crew members are the only uk entrants i can see. I think we might as well use it to it's full potential, we've got a half decent community so i don't see why the US should be the only people to take advantage...

grayfox

Smash Champion
All the UK players know eachother already. As Euan said earlier there are very little of us in the scene and always have been very little so we all know eachother. Anyone new, like yourself, has never been a to a tourney and if they are gonna potentially go we already know about them.

And the UK ages go from around 16 to maxing around early 20's. The Youngest member of the Mafia is 16 and the oldest 19, we all come within that age group. As a 14 year old you are quite young but that shouldn't really be a problem i wouldn't think. There is a 7 year old smasher in the states if i remember correctly.

Adam es maximus

Smash Journeyman
Thats a pretty good point i guess, but there are always newbies that haven't been to the boards and are willing to go to a tournament. Since visiting the boards i've introduced several members (but my names kind of tricky to put down in the referall bit). I personally think that there could be a much bigger smash community in the uk and i'm sure you do to. An example of what i'm talking about is a couple of pages back when a guy called spuddles (sorry if i spelt your name wrong) came to this thread and said that a smash tournament was the reason he joined the boards, imagine all the people in the uk that would want to go to a tournament and match that with the current tournament-thirsty uk smash population.
What i'm saying is there's no reason why we shouldn't use the smashfinder for the newcomers and so ons sake. Think of the newbies grayfox, think of the newbies. If not for me will you do it for them :rolleyes:

grayfox

Smash Champion
lol i do and i have. Me, Euan, Kone and many other people in the UK have played an active part into getting new blood into the UK. It's not by chance that 8 people in our town have came up at some point to play smash with us. But these people are either not commited enough or don't know enough about it. If it's the second option then i think talking to us on here and seeing the people for themselves on the boards is better, and more accessable, than the smashfinder. I'm still registered regardless mind, i haven't got a problem with it, i just think the boards is a better place to introduce new players.

Kone

Smash Master
I can give you an in depth list of every smasher in the UK that has shown any interest, including msns. Theres alot, but only a handful of tourney players. Myself and mates are the only people that play the game in the north east except yourself adam. In the years ive searched and campaigned for new players across countless boards etc ive never found any other nearby players that are committed to the game. As ive said, if you want some experience and you WILL need it before going to a tournament get yourself to newcastle some weekend. I work weekdays but free most weekends (through the day, out most nights).

Don't talk about searching for 'newbies' or all those players that want to go to tournament. Quite simply there isn't and most of the people ive spoke to online that have shown interest wouldn't travel to a tournament outside a one hour radius. As you've witnessed theres quite a lack of UK tournaments, hence no local tournaments for new players and therefore we get no new blood.

Im def thinking about hosting SCT2 in the xmas holidays. This is mostly a means to catch up with guys ive met through the game. As this wil be in my house and involve little preparation then it will happen, lol. Anyones welcome to come =)

ed

Adam es maximus

Smash Journeyman
You know i'll take you up on that offer when i have the chance. So things are looking up for the brits what with the various tournament possibilities going on.
Realting to kone's point earlier i know i could bring 5-15 serious smashers that would be interested in a tournament if i said there was money up for grabs; i know theres about 60+ million in the uk but still 15 is a kinda good number for one county, even if we aren't great by the end of a tournament we'll of learnt things we wouldn't have learnt before. Speaking of wich are there any multi-character serious smashers in the uk? I know there are plenty in the US but i've never heard of any famous multi-character uk smashers. Actually i've hardly seen any uk legends apart from some mafia members and kone and his crew but even then we've got nothing on some of the american heros fame and fortune. You know what would be good for our community- to form a super team; ship em of to the US and win a couple of major tournaments, it'll never happen of course but something along the lines of winning a US tournament would put the uk on the smash map even more so.

grayfox

Smash Champion
Actually next years summer will be the last smash tourney, with invites of every serious smasher on the globe. Most UK players have shown interest. Also, any UK player thats been in it since around the Glasgow period is seen as old school legend i guess. Doug being the king of the UK. We have the famous team bottom tier forever gfaqs legends, pictish and deca, a runner for member of the year and op of the hub in the form of Q and loads of other awesomely awesome people. The UK is full of legends known worldwide.

On your multi character thing. Doug plays afew characters at a high level and a lot of people have afew characters they can go other than their main like Euan and Q. Craig is well known for being able to play every character well though. Europes Azen.

Kone

Smash Master
Random Q: Whos still making Sweden? was chatting to scott earlier and saying as he has a job we were contemplating turning up.

I wouldn't really put me and the mafia in the same sentence if your talking smash fame, lol. Ive not done anything in a long time. While the mafia have stayed competitive since day one. Of course if your talking smash community fame then heck thats true. Me and stu like to make sure theres always a good giggle going on. WHERE THE ****ING SWEDEN MONTAGE!?!

Q: Jam, Adam and Scott all seem up for sct2. Probs Dec16th weekend, anyone else?

Adam es maximus

Smash Journeyman
Thanks; i asked because i'm a mulit-character player myself and i was wandering how common it was around here.
Kone i'd probably be up for something around then but i'm doing some stuff (don't take that the wrong way) in sheffield around about christmas, so the 16th would probably be fine with me. Besides it could be the first of my many victorious tournaments (sarcasm), i'll probably be able to bring my crew along so thats a couple of people that are interested so far...

Son Gohan

Smash Rookie
I live near Southampton so if there is ever a tourney relatively near then please - someone contact me.

I've had the game for just over a year. (For those who consider that to be relevant)

fantasm

Smash Apprentice
There will def be UK smashfests when ssbr comes out. Whether or not it will be the same people that hold them is something else.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Incidentally, neither Geek nor Ek play Peach XD. Well, Ek dabbled with Peach, but he's like early Azen. No float-cancelling o_O.

Adam es maximus

Smash Journeyman
As long as i have an account the brittish thread won't die... so whats the general style of play in england, i mean strategy wise ; i know that people play the game differently but i don't mean it that way. You know how the ****. are usually the fast smash kick you in the back types- i mean are we generally speedy smashers or what, what do you think brits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom