• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Breeding/Shiny Thread

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Munchlax shall dominate the scene I tell you >_>. I know there can't be, but it'd be cute to see a baby Gengar D:.

Bowser_Gangsta

Smash Lord
My breeding is going really good so far. I got:

Adamant Intimidate Gyarados - lol/31/30/28/x/30
Jolly Snow Cloak Swinub - 15/31/lol/x/23/31
Careful Thick Fat Snorlax - 25/31/12/x/31/27
Adamant Clear Body Beldum - 31/31/11/x/16/lol

Well these obviously are not perfect I'm glad I'm finally getting the hang of breeding. I got 31's in all the stuff I thought I needed it in, so I'm glad. I just need to make up a team. All I know is I want to use the Metagross as my lead.

And those 5000 something steps for a Munchlax and even Beldum is hell. HELL.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
I will never breed for IVs bar 31 in the stat that I need to get the highest, which normally is very easy.

I don't see why people spend so much time doing any of this when... well... shoddy.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
^ Nice. I'm breeding Riolu's, slow and painful process. I got a shiny Geodude on SS that way, who is now a shiny Golem!

A_man13

Smash Master
I'm not much of a breeder or a shiny person. Sure I want good IVs, but I'm not gonna have a cow if I can't have 31/31/31/31/31/31 (which, to put this lightly, you have better chance of winning a lottery and becoming a millionaire that can then at least afford AR) and most of my breeding projects were modest in that regard. Best poke I managed to breed was an HP Ice 67 Magmortar (which took forever for how much I use it), but my best IVs would have to be a zong I managed to find and catch (since my dittos have terrible IVs).

Shinys are also something I don't really care about. However, my platinum game seems to be lucky; I've ran into 3 shinys with no chaining; a staravia, a bidoof, and a machoke. Ah if only I had masterballs and staravia hadn't known whirlwind.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
If it's an egg move, redo
If its learnable, learn

HP = lol no thanks. HP is rare on wifi.

A_man13

Smash Master
If it's an egg move, redo
If its learnable, learn

HP = lol no thanks. HP is rare on wifi.
Even on Serebii wifi I run into people with HP ice Apes, trans, and dos's, HP fire Jirachis, and a bunch of other things. Legal hacking is very common, though.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
I don't run into it as common as shoddy, though. And usually I use different movesets that work. I'm not a hardcore VGC gamer though. (Niether am I MLG on Brawl) You loose the fun when you take it too seriously. =/

A_man13

Smash Master
I know. Sure I want a tough battle and brawl, but I still want it to be a tight game and not a shutdown.

I'm on and off competetive myself.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Yeah, I'm like that with every game. RPG/Adventure I get 100% (105% if it's Crash Bandicoot: Warped), and on games with online features I'll get good at it but I'd loose to people on here I'm sure. I'm good at Toon Link but I have no doubt there is people here who would own me, but I have fun none the less.

And Toon Link is the best~

A_man13

Smash Master
TL isn't bad (he's one of my for fun mains), but I'll always be a Ness and Lucas person. Though, unlike you, I don't have the dexterity for smash. I can win, sure, but not by much. That said, I still have fun playing.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
I'm not really that great either. Ubermario shows that =P. I play to get good enough to have fun, it isn't fun when you lose all the time, but it isn't fun if you treat it like work and perfect yourself.

That being said, perfecting nononline games like FFXII, etc..actually appeals to me. I love seeing 100% XD.

I have a bit of spare time lately, I want 100% on Metroid Prime Trilogy, SMG2, SS, and Majora's Mask (just finished destroying OoT)

I take it a bit far though <.< Beating each Prime on all 3 difficulties, trainer card done + 2 good wifi teams, XD. Nothing will rival my lost FFXII file though ><;

Meme

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
6939 6733 3968
d >_>b Lately I've been breeding and RNGing(It's worth the time learning it) like crazy... a monotype team... Though currently checking on chansey (Aromatherapy+charm or just leaving it at aromatherapy)...

I like the whole breeding thing, actually it can be quite interesting chain breeding for moves and all...

Still I've yet to check how to train Smeargles efficently so I can sketch the moves I want... D:

A_man13

Smash Master
I've been breeding Chansey for god**** 2 days now and dual abilities are killing me. I get a Bold, Nicely IVd one with Serene Grace :mad:

It makes me unhappy for scyther eggs...
Ouch. Do you Soft Reset and keep hatching eggs to get better IVs while keeping Ability, Nature, and such.

T-block

B2B TST
breeding for HP sounds like a nightmare

yay @ this thread... i'll be in here a fair bit asking questions and whining about how much my life sucks

30 scythers and no adamant yet. 3 sassy scythers though ._.

rockem7

Smash Ace
breeding for HP sounds like a nightmare

yay @ this thread... i'll be in here a fair bit asking questions and whining about how much my life sucks

30 scythers and no adamant yet. 3 sassy scythers though ._.
It gets a lot easier if you have a Ditto with the right nature.

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
Not necessarily, you could just get lucky when catching Ditto's. Or you could be Shimazu's girlfriend and have Espeon's of every nature.
**** that, I'd use Umbreons.

If it weren't for the fact that Abra is also one of my favorite Pokemon, of course.

Meme

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
6939 6733 3968
I do the normal get 5 eggs, walk around thing. Does Soft Reseting change anything for the better?

And i m glad this thread is here too. Breeding gives me too much frustration to keep quiet. :mad088:
IV soft resetting it helps a lot. Egg IVs are decided when you talk to the breeder to get the egg.

1 - The old guy talks to you to pick up the egg, save in front of him, grab the egg and hatch

2a- If it's the Ability/gender/nature you want, check it's IVs with the judge at Battle Tower.
2b -If it doesn't have the things you want save before grabbing the next egg.

3 - If it doesn't have the desired IVs from the speculations that the Judge does, soft reset it and keep on hatching it again and again until you get somewhat the desired IVs...

Take into account that 3 of the stats are generated "randomly" and the other 3 are inherited from the parents, sometimes all 3 stats from the mother other times 3 from the father, or a mixup of the two...

Bowser_Gangsta

Smash Lord
Thanks for the help Meme. I'll probably save money from the Daycare too. So If I get a chansey with IVs I dont like, I would save? Why not SR?

I found out why my Chansey is such a terrible breeding experience. My boyfriend traded me a bum Ditto. It was "Somewhat vain", but it had a 21 in Sp.D. :mad: But he said he would breed me a nice Swampert so I guess thats some recuperation.

Meme

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
6939 6733 3968
If you get the desired nature/ability but not the IVs you want Soft reset it.

if you don't get any of the qualities you wanted (nature and such), ignore that hatch and proceed to save before grabbing the next egg.

For checking/speculating IVs I would recommend the judge at battle frontier, since the characteristics can be sometimes deceiving.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
All this depends. You say characteristics can be decieving, but with power items it is not. If you have a 31Att XXX with Power Bracer on, and it says "Alert to Sounds", it is 31 speed 100% for sure because of the whole "Characteristic sets the limit" thing. You may have said that but I'm tired, sorry >_<;

Also, Espeon>Umbreon. I love dark pokemon, but Espeon is cute, Umbreon just looks mad.

Also Meme, what judge in BT? Do they give you the exact IVs?

Meme

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
6939 6733 3968
The judge tells you the range of the IVs, as in the sum of all of them, and also tells you which IV stat is the highest.

If he tells you that for example; attack is the highest and it says that it's fantastic it means that the atk IV is between 26 to 30 but if he says that "It can't be better" that means that the stat is 31 (no more no less).

In case you get more than one 31'd IV stats. the judge will choose randomly. In my case since I usually RNG for perfect IV'd pokemon, I talk to him several times and it goes through all the stats HP/Atk/Def/Spe/SpA/SpD (that's the order he usually tells me the stats).

When checking a recentlu hatched pokemon, I go directly to the judge and make him check my pokemon several times to see witch IVs are higher.

If you want more details well you can still calculate them via wifi battling and stats calculators but that's a whole different story on how to do it...

d<_< b

On the characteristics thing, if it's somewhat vain it might be 31 SpD but it can be deceiving... since it can have... 1, 6, 11, 16, 21, 26, 31 of IVs

Here's a link with a sort of explanation on characteristics and the possible values.

You can check the pokemon with the judge which BTW it's located at the Battle Tower on the upper right, a nerdy looking NPC right next to the PC/Box. (image)

rockem7

Smash Ace
Yeah, I think that using a calculator online is much easier and more accurate than the in-game ways. I just use MetalKid's IV calculator, and it's worked out well for me every time I've used it.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
I'd use a calculator to check out the IVs of my pokemon, but since I just want to know the IVs for the hell of it and I haven't tracked down the EVs, I can't really calculate it, so I'm trying to take the easy way out and see what IVs it has in one stat on the characteristics thing >_>

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Yeah, I think that using a calculator online is much easier and more accurate than the in-game ways. I just use MetalKid's IV calculator, and it's worked out well for me every time I've used it.
I use movies + running down Goldenrod. I name the Babies 1, 2, 3, 4, etc and check them. Riolus are on #47 right now.

rockem7

Smash Ace
I use movies + running down Goldenrod. I name the Babies 1, 2, 3, 4, etc and check them. Riolus are on #47 right now.
Oh no, I wasn't talking about hatching them, I meant once they hatch, you enter their stats and other things onto the calculator, then you put them in the day care and check about every level and keep entering their stats and it'll tell you all the IV's eventually. Most of the time you don't need to go past level 15 or so.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Oh no, I wasn't talking about hatching them, I meant once they hatch, you enter their stats and other things onto the calculator, then you put them in the day care and check about every level and keep entering their stats and it'll tell you all the IV's eventually. Most of the time you don't need to go past level 15 or so.
See what I do is get 6, and do an IV battle on wifi. It's 100% accurate, reveals HP, and just takes less time/money to me. The only downside is hatching so many eggs.

rockem7

Smash Ace
Yeah, I'm currently breeding two Krabby's and they're rather crabby and don't like making eggs. I hate it when this happens because it takes like, nearly twice as long.

Top Bottom