• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The Bowser Questions and Advice Thread

kindie

Smash Rookie
I started playing Bowser yetserday vs. my friends DK and I have one problem :
At stages with plattforms he always uair juggles me and I can't DI out of it at low %.
Is there any move with more priority and less starting lag to go trough the juggle?
One like Luigis Nair?
The Fair doesn't work, or am I just to slow?

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
well if you can use quicker wobble recovery, and cut down the time bowser is "tumbling" through the air, you should be able to at the very least nair, dair*, or jsut di away or airdodge. Be creative. I *'d the dair because its a dangerous move to expose your self with, but if they don't see it coming, maybe, just maybe, you can hit the dk like a frame before you're juggled again but the uair. Also it's not always out of the question to up-b away from him. Be creative is the key.

Miamisportsfan45

Smash Lord
Bowser is one of the stronger but yet slower characters in the game. He can take a hit, but as soon as he does, your opponent has to get the hell out of there or they will be inflicted with a high damage percentage. So advantages that Bowser has is strength and weight, but he has a major disadvantage flaw which is his speed. If you can time the timing of being by up close physical smash attacks, then you're good to go but you need to avoid those distant attacks in some way or another.

FaceFaceMcFace

Smash Ace
Bowser is one of the somewhat strong but yet laggiest characters in the game. He can take a hit, but as soon as he does, he gets combo'd to high percentages. So advantages that Bowser has is cuteness and manliness, but he has a major disadvantage flaw which is his speed. If you can space and time your attacks properly, you might have a chance, but you need to avoid those distant attacks in some way or another.
There we go. Do note that I'm somewhat just messing around.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
So, how do y'all mainly deal with space animals? Especially Falco on FD... I can't deal with the spam. :<
Don't be far enough away that you can get stuck in SHL's. tight perimeter, and keep it so you can interrupt him if he jumps for one. or at least be able to recognize it fast enough to get over it an fair or something.

Seikend

Smash Journeyman
Sorry if this has already been answered. Often I've seen videos of Bowsers using attack from ledge <100 to edgeguard. When I try this though I always hit them back onto the stage rather than out. Is there a position or a time you have to hit them with to send them back off? Thanks.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Umm.. if you're going to hit them off the stage you have to get them to get hit when your rolling back towards the edge.

Xanthyr

Smash Journeyman
Whenever I've hit with it, they've been near the edge and I passed them, or getting onto the edge as I hit them, and they get knocked off.

Linjishu

Smash Rookie
Quick question that I didn't really see addressed anywhere.

Is Bowser's JC grab usable? Or should I just stick with the dash grab for everything?

EDIT: Nevermind, just my luck to find an answer right after I post.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
I normally believe Face that they need to be towards the edge of the stage like you need to hit them when they're behind you, so techinically you're right as well.. but to be safe for him i'm saying just hit them on the return cause that means they ARE behind you

Haruno Kotetsu

Smash Ace
I have a question and it needs answering, or i'll cut someone.

How do you get something out of your game like double jumping. I do it too much and I know it's bad, but I don't know how to break the freakin' habit.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
I guess you need to realize that you get gimped really easily in the air, and any good player will take advantage of that. You need to work on your SHFFLing and basic ground work. When your coming at someone from a double jump, there are only two options, attack, or di backwards. when your shffling or approaching low, you still have jumps as options, but you cn also go straight on and such.

Haruno Kotetsu

Smash Ace
Thanks for the advice, really. I guess the only reason I keep doing it is because of second nature reflexes and patterns. I never really was good with ground work, at all. Just the ftilt/utilt

misterbee180

Smash Apprentice
Hey Haruno Kotetsu. I'm having that same problem too and its a really hard habit to get rid of. To be honest though, i think the best thing to do to fix a problem like ours is confidence in our gameplay. i find i double jump cause i'm hoping for an opponant to make a mistake when really bowser shouldn't need to wait, especially with moves like the klaw which stop shielders and the f-a which is almost imposible to grab afterwards if spaced correctly. What i'm thinking of trying is just upping my technique with my l-cancles as well as my speed at which i control bowser. I think in just getting those components down you can eliminate the necessity to double jump all the time cause your ground/ mid game will be so tight.

Haruno Kotetsu

Smash Ace
That sounds good. I've been getting better at it and SHFFL'ed retreating Fairs really work good, it spaces out your opponent , helps you string together attacks more and lets you get hits in still. That attack has some nice range for Bowser. Nairs a good "GTFO" me move, too. Most of Bowser's aerials work good, and going to Training mode if you don't have a training parter and practice SHFFLs and Bowser's little bit of ground work after a SHFFL helps, i've been doing way better because of it lol But yeah dude try what I just said and iy'll help break the habit, i've already dramatically cut down on it

Oh, and get a really good player and double jump around him. See what happens.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Abuse platforms on any stage with platforms. That will really help you cut out the habit. Wavelanding a Bair or Fair ***** so hard instead of double jumping.. and if you ever find yourself in the air.. Nair as a safe approach.

Haruno get AIM, my msn broke LOL >_>

ohpistachios

Smash Apprentice
I would say the best way to break any habit is to ACTUALLY PLAY against someone that can catch you for it every time.

Also, certain techniques are best learned with certain characters imho. If you're playing as a character who gets very easily abused for double-jumping (like maybe Falco or Doc?), then you'll learn to break that habit quicker.

Another example of this would be learning to DI with Bowser. Learning to DI with Bowser is TOO GOOD because he has so much lag on his moves that you get a lot of time to react to someone hitting you (well, more like pre-act). Plus, Bowser gets juggled around so much that learning how to DI to escape combos and such is pretty much essential for him.

R.Y.N.O

Smash Journeyman
I have a question. How do you make it so that Y. Link's Dair is a flaming down spike? I tried to spike one of my friends and ended up just popping him up into the air.
Also, how do you tech chase and what is it? I know about teching but I don't know what tech chasing is.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
WRONG THREAD. please go to melee discussion and look up what i beleive is a list compiled by alphazealot of all the advanced terms. or looks up Wak's advanced how to play videos on youtube.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
We gave a thread for this like two threads down <_<

actually it was above this at that point.. i'll post them there for you <_<

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
Aw come on KevinM, he definitely needs a critique.

My critique of Buh= Needs to practice searching for a thread first >_<

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Okay, about the Whirling Fortress.

It seems like when I'm recovering with it after being knocked off, it's got huge horizontal distance, but after airguarding someone with the fair, it seems to not go very far at all. Is this because I'm facing the wrong way, or is it a momentum thing, as I jump out to intercept them?

FaceFaceMcFace

Smash Ace
That's a momentum thing. If you want to make sure you get enough distance after say, a run off the stage double-jump fair, hold back towards the stage right after you do/start the attack to get some movement in that direction, then up-B.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
you can also first hold toward the stage and up b once youre a little below. if you are holding toward the stage youll grab the edge. if face or my advice dont work i would reconsider your strategy. ftilt ftw?

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Oh, cool, thanks, that helps. Yeah, I can make it back half the time, but I was trying to raise my consistency.

Speaking of the ftilt, is it better to use that (angled downward) or the dtilt for sweetspotters? The dtilt seems to reach lower and sends them at a lower angle, but the ftilt has better knockback...

Inferno_blaze

Smash Lord
Oh, cool, thanks, that helps. Yeah, I can make it back half the time, but I was trying to raise my consistency.

Speaking of the ftilt, is it better to use that (angled downward) or the dtilt for sweetspotters? The dtilt seems to reach lower and sends them at a lower angle, but the ftilt has better knockback...
If your oppoenent sweetspots, you won't be hitting them anyway. If they're trying for one though use the angled ftilt.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Okay, so I just played my friend's Falcon. Seems like every grab he gets combos into a knee. Is there any way at all to DI the uthrow to avoid that?

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
It seem some days im really susceptible to it. I usually di towards him so he doest get a grab just by grabbing again. But this is really only a problem on FD, so try taking to a level with platforms so if you get thrown the platform acts as the combo breaker.

Top Bottom