• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The BlazBlue Thread: all the imports!

General Heinz

Smash Journeyman
Hey, so I'm relatively new to BB (by which I mean I played CS but had no time to practice it and basically sucked **** until I got EX and started playing it a lot recently), and I have some skill but I'd say I'm still quite the scrub. I have a few questions.

I main Bang, and I can pull off quite a few basic combos with him, both midscreen and corner, but barring tech skill malfunctions (which happen frequently enough >.<), I find that I just don't do well approaching my opponent. Obviously this isn't like smash where I have the ability to dashdance, but given that fact I feel like my movement options are limited or, at best, I just don't know how to utilize them effectively. I find myself just airdashing in a lot and trying for either j.5C but getting ***** out of it or trying for an airdash crossup j.4B, which usually gets me equally *****. I understand enough from smash to know that in truth I'm just being really predictable with my approaches, but like...I don't know what the **** else to do.

Tips? My XBL is General Heinz if anyone would like to play sometime. I promise I'm not totally terrible but don't expect anything crazy :X But really, how DO you people practice this game? In some sense I feel like this game is just about memorizing combos, but there has to be more to it than that. I can't possibly get good at this game just by memorizing huge strings of moves in training mode because it's usually the case that I **** them up in actual matches or the spacing of a real match makes me drop the combo. It's also really discouraging when the only people you can play are online and you just get jacked the **** up every match you play. I imagine that's where a lot of BBers start, but how do I climb this gargantuan ladder?

EDIT: I'm asking for tips on basic movement and approaches, so I don't wanna hear "use more bumpers." I understand that they improve Bang's movement options a lot, but for someone of my skill level I feel it wouldn't be helpful just practicing with them alone. I need help with the fundamentals of my approach game, not mixup gimmicks.

Also, another question I have to stick users: Is it really THAT beneficial to play with stick vs. pad? Phrased another way, is it really THAT detrimental to my game to play on pad? I can understand the argument because there are definitely some things that **** me up on pad (623 facing left is balls for me), but I don't wanna buy a stick if it just means all my previously achieved techskill is down the drain because of it UNLESS it would like revolutionize my game or something. Another thing I've heard is that only certain characters benefit from stick vs. pad (like Arakune or something), so maybe that's it? I don't plan on trading in the manly burning heart of love and justice for anything anytime soon.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Stick vs. pad all comes down to personal preference. There is no right or wrong answer. If you're playing on pad, you like playing on pad, and your execution is fine on pad, then there's no reason to switch unless you want to.

Bang has two airdashes, very strong jump-ins, and most importantly, nails. They are your most reliable methods for getting in. Bumpers are good for FRKZ combos and increasing your mobility/mixup, but they're not always best for approaching imo.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Stick vs. pad all comes down to personal preference. There is no right or wrong answer. If you're playing on pad, you like playing on pad, and your execution is fine on pad, then there's no reason to switch unless you want to.

Bang has two airdashes, very strong jump-ins, and most importantly, nails. They are your most reliable methods for getting in. Bumpers are good for FRKZ combos and increasing your mobility/mixup, but they're not always best for approaching imo.

Not to be silly but, can't Bang technically get 3 air dashes if you include the Air-Nail stationary thing?

Jdietz43

BRoomer
BRoomer
Not to be silly but, can't Bang technically get 3 air dashes if you include the Air-Nail stationary thing?
Still two dashes iirc. I don't think you can airdash into the first one and still get two nail dashes (but I don't have a system to try it on right now so I'm just spitballing from memory)

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
You can do two normal airdashes and one bumper dash, I believe. Works for forward and back airdashes.

Anyway, that's what I was saying, that bumpers are good for mobility, but not necessarily approaching.

Jdietz43

BRoomer
BRoomer
Can't you double air dash into the floaty nail and get a third dash from it?
Maybe, I can't remember anymore. Iirc you can airdash into the first one(?) but you won't ever get more than three in any combination.

... Maybe I should just hit it up and check lol

General Heinz

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, as far as I know he only has two airdashes. But what is this about the nail airdash?

And what are his best jump-in attacks? I usually just go for j.5C. That combos into 5B, right?

Also, is his 6B totally useless or am I stupid? I just can't think of when it would actually be useful.

Jdietz43

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yeah, as far as I know he only has two airdashes. But what is this about the nail airdash?

And what are his best jump-in attacks? I usually just go for j.5C. That combos into 5B, right?

Also, is his 6B totally useless or am I stupid? I just can't think of when it would actually be useful.
Ok... I'm about to blow some minds if you didn't know these but:

EDIT: I thought he asked about the aerial where Bang extends his leg back, nvm

And if you airdash next to a placed nail (214A-D) you'll dash mega fast in the direction you tap (even diagonal or up/down). You can chain these up to twice for movement shenanigans. (try placing them in A/C B/D pairs to make them already one dash length away from each other)

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
And if you airdash next to a placed nail (214A-D) you'll dash mega fast in the direction you double tap (even diagonal or up/down). You can chain these up to twice for movement shenanigans. (try placing them in A/C B/D pairs to make them already one dash length away from each other)
You don't need to double tap, just hold a direction while crossing a bumper.

6B is an overhead that is -1 on block, I believe it sends Bang airborne so it will not get hit by ground throws or lows.

Sound useful to me, though I don't play Bang.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
I made up a combo upon counter hit that does 7k or so, while expending 50 meter, no gold bursting or use of Blood Kain. The only thing is that it involves a purple air throw near the end of the combo, and even then Ragna's already done 5.5k or so already.

Dead Spike -> Dash -> 2C -> 5C -> 6C -> Dash Cancel -> 6B -> 5C -> super jump -> j.c to j.d x2 -> Belial Edge -> 6B -> 2C -> 5D -> Inferno Divider D -> Uppercut -> Straight Punch -> Purple Aerial Throw -> Carnage Scissor

Another variation for meter gain if they don't tech the aerial throw is to use Hell's Fang.

Of course it's one of those things that if it works once, it won't work again, especially with how easy it is to see the aerial throw coming. But even without the ending throw to Carnage Scissor's that's a lot of damage.

General Heinz

Smash Journeyman
You don't need to double tap, just hold a direction while crossing a bumper.

6B is an overhead that is -1 on block, I believe it sends Bang airborne so it will not get hit by ground throws or lows.

Sound useful to me, though I don't play Bang.
Yeah, I guess the fact that it avoids lows makes it somewhat useful. And -1 isn't that bad.

I guess I just need to get more accustomed to the mechanics of the game in general so I can better understand how to appropriate all my moves. But yeah, I'll consider that.

Btw, do you guys have like a XBL/PSN list anywhere?

Jdietz43

BRoomer
BRoomer
First post, open the collapse tags.

(and you know about the nail bumper dash now right? It's a large part of Bang's unique gimmicks)

General Heinz

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I've known about bumpers, I just wanted to know some more basic approach options that don't require them because I seem to be getting ****ed up on some pretty simple approaches. Though granted, I don't play the smartest BB yet. It'll take some practice.

Jdietz43

BRoomer
BRoomer
Alright, just making sure.

I've had some friends start up BB and just never know what the point of the "background" nails were, and I didn't want that to be the improbable case for anyone playing more seriously.

General Heinz

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, haha. It took a while but I think I at least know all of Bang's moves, so I can safely call him my main. I do have a hard time using the bumpers effectively though, mostly because I don't a) know any predetermined setups, and b) I'm not confident enough in my techskill yet to use them quite as fluidly as I'd like.

Not to mention I sometimes get a bit too dependent on D nails and after four uses they're gone @__@

In that vein though, is approaching with D nails supposed to take advantage of the opponents blockstun when blocking the nails? I guess I just feel like I'm never able to close in fast enough once they've hit, and then I just get countered and killed.

Jdietz43

BRoomer
BRoomer
Hitting with the D nails is it's own reward if unblocked, if blocked you should be right there to be on top of them. (work on getting the nails out faster on jumping if you have to)

On the other hand if you're spamming D nails from fullscreen to approach you're wasting nails, but if you have some to spare and you're about a character length away you're doing it right. If you really feel the need to use a nail at fullscreen make it an A nail and save yourself the trouble of wasting nails you'll need later.

General Heinz

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I've noticed A nails are good for longer throws because of the shallower angle he throws them at. But yeah, I guess I'm rather guilty of spamming D nails from less than intelligent spacing. I'll have to work on that.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Nails are your best way to approach with, as far as I know. However, nails are a limited resource, blah blah blah, I'm sure you know, haha.

All the nails are good, and have their uses. D nails are the best for approaching because they take up so much space, yet you use three at once. A nail has a good angle, and makes people antsy if the poison hits, so in that case, they may be more interested in getting to you now, to get rid of the poison. B nails are not as good as D nails, but your opponent still has to respect them. I've seen a lot of people get hit by B nails trying to jump out of pressure.

Anyway, best advice is to mess around a bit, and see what works for you. As far as I know (but I'm not positive), j.C and j.4B are Bang's good jump-in attacks, while j.B is a good air-to-air that you can follow up into a ground BnB.

I hope that helps, but I don't actually know that much about Bang, haha. :V

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Nails are your best way to approach with, as far as I know. However, nails are a limited resource, blah blah blah, I'm sure you know, haha.

All the nails are good, and have their uses. D nails are the best for approaching because they take up so much space, yet you use three at once. A nail has a good angle, and makes people antsy if the poison hits, so in that case, they may be more interested in getting to you now, to get rid of the poison. B nails are not as good as D nails, but your opponent still has to respect them. I've seen a lot of people get hit by B nails trying to jump out of pressure.

Anyway, best advice is to mess around a bit, and see what works for you. As far as I know (but I'm not positive), j.C and j.4B are Bang's good jump-in attacks, while j.B is a good air-to-air that you can follow up into a ground BnB.

I hope that helps, but I don't actually know that much about Bang, haha. :V

You seem to know a half decent amount and probably a bit more than I do. But we can all agree Bang's clearly the most entertaining character with the Bang Install music being the greatest game song of all time. ;)

General Heinz

Smash Journeyman
I see bang getting hate sometimes but I guess I don't get it because I'm biased playing him XD He would probably piss me off if I didn't.

What do you guys find most difficult to deal with when playing Bang?

:phone:

General Heinz

Smash Journeyman
Bang players that know how to FRKZ = round over. :I

Also, all of his yelling all the time.
I seriously gotta learn some FRKN combos. Half the time I go for it and just end up losing for it anyway even if I had the lead to begin with. Who do you main though? I'm sure it's more beneficial fr bang in some matches than others.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
So, I guess when you were over in Montreal for MAD, Kaeru must've given you a hard time, huh?
Yeah, no kidding, haha. Kaeru is so nice and cool though, so I forgive him for playing Bang. :3c

I seriously gotta learn some FRKN combos. Half the time I go for it and just end up losing for it anyway even if I had the lead to begin with. Who do you main though? I'm sure it's more beneficial fr bang in some matches than others.

I main Moo. It's not a particularly difficult match-up, pretty even I'd say. But characters with good mobility make it difficult, haha.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Arakune's pre-curse game makes up for it by being absolute trash.

The only time I ever feel salty playing against an Arakune is combo into F of G. D:

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
I'll agree. Arakune pre-curse feels trickier than it should be. Fortunately, some things have kind of a "Faust-like" feel to them which is good.

That being said, I'm just glad that we don't have to deal with either FRKZ being a Ragna move or Blood Kain being a Bang move.

Crusayer

Smash Lord
It's okay though, Ragna's about as good as Bang with FRKZ anyway with giant hitboxes and big damage.

:awesome:

General Heinz

Smash Journeyman
Yeah ragna's usually ****ing infuriating to me >.< I do play stupid sometimes but I feel like his damage output is just nuts sometimes.

But then again Noel is pretty derpy so I dunno which is worse.

Top Bottom