• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The BlazBlue Thread: all the imports!

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Am I supposed to know when a safe moment to jump/counter attack is?
Yes.
And you need to use barrier smartly. Don't just waste it all away immediately, because that'll leave you defenseless and put you in danger. Wait for moves that have a lot of pushback. Pay attention to what they do then wait for a time to jump out or if you have meter you can counter assault (barrier + forward while you're guarding an attack). If you know they're going to do something unsafe then you can try to mash out an A attack, but it's risky.

If they're doing the same block string over and over then there's likely something very simple you can do to get away.

If you're having trouble figuring out how to beat a certain tactic (or anything else), go into training mode and record the computer to do it over and over and find a way to get around it.
You can do the same thing with blockstrings that you're having trouble getting out of too.

And yes you should be using your A moves. Lambda's aren't as useful as some other characters, but that shouldn't stop you. They are still very quick.

2b is a good normal poke.

Overall though, when you're playing lambda you want to be as far from the opponent as possible unless you're hitting them. Lambda's defensive options are pretty limited.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Spelt's advice is good, use it.

Also, Lambda's anti-air options are more than just 6D. 6A, 2C, and 2D are all anti-air options as well. I'd say you need to spend some time in training mode becoming more comfortable with her moveset, especially her A and B normals. Learn how to use certain moves in certain situations. Lambda's strength is that she completely controls neutral until she starts throwing swords out, and all she needs is some space to zone properly.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
Hmmm, if only my roommate didn't take out his 360 out of his room, I would still be playing BlazBlue. Anyways, I'm wondering if the Vita version of it can play against players online in the PS3 version as well as the Vita version. I know that the data can be shared between both the Vita and PS3 version (or so I heard,) so I'm wondering if this is true.

Anyways, if it is true, I'll definitely will be picking up Extend again once I get a Vita.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I'm having a lot of difficulty understanding how to get out of a block string. People attack me and repeat a simple combo over and over and over again until I'm pushed across the stage and have no more barrier thingies. Am I supposed to know when a safe moment to jump/counter attack is?
Like Spelt said, don't barrier too much since that puts you at Danger. Barrier blocking adds blockstun so that's probably why you're having an even harder time getting out. If you ever see the opponent use a move like C, they're you're going to be able to act safely afterwards since they'll be recovering.

If they're doing the same exact block string, practice Instant Blocking since you recover from block stun faster.
Also, as Lambda, I can't seem to counter people in close range worth a damn. Is there any particular trick to it? I notice that most people use A, I don't do that. Should I be? It just seems that whenever people are beside me they ALWAYS win the exchange (I'm used to stuff clashing like in smash) and I just get beat. It's not even combos. Their combo will end, and I know I'm presented with a tree of options, I just don't know what the branches actually are, and if I do what I normally do, hold 4, they just repeat over and over again. It just seems like once a person gets close to me, they basically won the game.
Things clash in this game too. If your attack is getting stuffed, it just means your spacing isn't good or you're getting hit during your start up.
As for after recovering from a combo, it's best to neutral tech/emergency tech (teching as you touch the floor). You're vulnerable during rolling so you won't be doing that often.

Delaying your tech is helpful as well. It was useful in Guilty Gear and it's still useful here as well.
I don't understand when it's safe to jump or counter attack, I don't know how to recognize those timings, and I don't know what moves are safe to counterattack with. Should I be trying 2C or 5C or 5A or j9/j7?
A's are generally your fastest moves while B and C are slower. Counterattacking with which move really depends on the situation, the spacing, and the opponent's move tbh.
And then it's simple things. I've just played about 20 matches with this one guy online, he was clearly better than me, but not by much. But like, when he played Mu-12, he would jump and always do this same attack. Idk what it is, but really I don't know how I'm supposed to counter it. People always do the same thing, jump, airdash, do some attack, but I can't think of something that counters the airdash, attack part. Beating a jump is just 6D, but the rest I don't know what to do. :(
That's kind of a spacing problem you're having. You shouldn't have an opponent able to air dash in towards Lambda for free.
Anti air their air dash with 6D if they're far. Early 2C and 6A are good too, iirc.

Back dash or something to create space since keeping them out is what you're supposed to do with Lambda.
Just be careful of cornering yourself though since you'll want to push them away rather than just running away.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
"Delaying your tech is helpful as well. It was useful in Guilty Gear and it's still useful here as well."

Unless you're against Ragna's 22C or 2B. :p

Minato

穏やかじゃない
"Delaying your tech is helpful as well. It was useful in Guilty Gear and it's still useful here as well."

Unless you're against Ragna's 22C or 2B. :p
You don't know what delaying your tech actually means.
It's teching to avoid a meaty in most cases.

Simply put, mashing tech as soon as you can could put you at an unfavorable position while delaying it can be better at times.

Crusayer

Smash Lord
GGs Livewire.

As always, it is depressing when my corner combo does like 2k \o/.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
GGs Livewire.

As always, it is depressing when my corner combo does like 2k \o/.

Yeah, stuff like that was kind of weird. I'd see you do your combo and freak out and burst, then look up and be like "oh...I only lost 2.5k off that". Good games, too. I had such an epic fail in the casuals we had before where I was doing I think Fenrir, then accidentally wound up RCing Fenrir into Gold Burst, when it was my last burst and I was down by 5k. I was like "whaaaa?".

Also, if I can offer a bit of advice or whatnot, you're a little bit predictable sometimes in when you're going to use Corona Upper. I sometimes found it to be something that I could bait out in order to get a punish off of so, while I'm not familiar with Makoto, maybe try to switch it up a little more or see if there's something you can do to better bait charges? I guess? I don't know, just trying to help out.

Crusayer

Smash Lord
You still don't stay put so I can never stagger pressure you. And since I drop everything nowadays and that it's not scary to get hit by a stray, you wouldn't feel pressured to stay put anyway. I dunno how to mixup with Makoto now since everything isn't scary lol. The corona upper thing is because I'm supposed to combo into it cept I drop it all day everyday \o/.

Btw, you might want to mash a bit for combo escapes. 80% of the combos I did in the corner were all invalid.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Yeah, I can get what you mean about the combo escape thing. The only thing I really have to say about that is that I used to mash ALL THE TIME so I'm kind of trying to ease back on it a bit and find the right balance of mashing and waiting.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
You still don't stay put so I can never stagger pressure you. And since I drop everything nowadays and that it's not scary to get hit by a stray, you wouldn't feel pressured to stay put anyway. I dunno how to mixup with Makoto now since everything isn't scary lol. The corona upper thing is because I'm supposed to combo into it cept I drop it all day everyday \o/.
You need to play less Melty and practice more BlazBlue.

And I need to play more Melty
and more GG.

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
I just spent the best 6 dollars of my life

<333333333333 platinum system voices :embarrass:

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Well, there's another BB tournament next week, so I'm sure he'll get his salty runback. :3

I was kinda bummed that I lost to that Relius player, but whatevs.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Well, there's another BB tournament next week, so I'm sure he'll get his salty runback. :3

I was kinda bummed that I lost to that Relius player, but whatevs.

You did good, Lythi. Relius looks like a tough match for Mu and you brought him down to a pixel, so you'll get him next time.

*may or may not actually take up subbing Bang* :bee:

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Haha, I think part of the problem was that I overestimated him. Oh, well. Fourth place isn't half-bad.

Did you like my commentary? :3c

You did good, kid. It's good to have someone who knows about stuff being able to throw out jokes about things rather than how some tournaments have someone on commentary who doesn't know what anything is having to spend half of the time trying to figure out what's going on or what kind of character each one is.

Top Bottom