• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The BlazBlue Thread: all the imports!

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
English VA's all day every day yo'.

(Esp. when it comes to Makoto and Noel who sound screechy as Japanese)
/hi5

testify dood

--

Damnit 666 Ragna in Abyss mode freaking MURDERED my ***. ....now I wanna finish Abyss mode with Ragna before I go back to fighting online. Hnnnngh. I wanna fight people!! dfakjhdsf

But this...I can do this. Damnit.

lilseph

Smash Ace
Okay so Relius vs Lambda... This is going off of what I have seen from pro matches and from my own experiences. In my honest opinion I do think I have a good grasp of the match up.

The big thing Relius has that most other characters don't have is murdering pressure. As we all should know, Lambda does NOT have many good options, if any at all to get out of pressure. She has her barrier block, her CA, calamity sword, and 236A (but not really lol). I can count all of her options on one hand, so going by this statement obviously it won't be hard to either eliminate 1 or 2 of the possible 4 options, or predict what she will do and react accordingly. Couple that, with Relius' godlike pressure, and its a nightmare for Lambda to escape, it just won't happen. Keep in mind that everything I have said is doable mid screen, don't even get me started on what its like in the corner against him.

Now, this is all assuming he gets in. What about taking 1 step backwards and trying to approach Lambda? Well you see that is not as hard as it may seem! While Ignis might not be as crippling as Ada is, she is still a big factor, and to be quite honest, Ignis is the only offensive threat that Lambda has to worry about. You can't attack Ignis, there is no point. She runs through all of Lambda's projectile based attacks, and she can go the entire screen. She does not require heavy positioning like Ada does. Not only that if she catches you with basically any one of her multiple attacks, its a free approach for Relius.
All in all Ignis is a beast and Lambda cannot just derp around, she WILL get crushed if she doesn't play it careful.

Last point about Relius. I will copy and paste this from dustloop since it basically sums this attack up quite nicely.

The biggest annoying move Relius has on him is a dodge-in-place move (will get name later). This move's startup is instantaneous, giving him seemingly full-body invincibility whenever he feels like it. Lambda has considerably more recovery time on whiffed attacks (especially D moves) than other characters. One whiffed move from Lambda can mean eating a full combo.

If Relius gets too spam happy, be sure to punish him on its recovery. I'm not sure if CH will be easy or possible to get on him, but take what you can get.

With this dodge move, Relius can use Ignis' attack-from-behind move to score a CH on Lambda, scoring a full combo. Watch out for this.

The dodge can feint out Counter Assaults. It's already hard enough knowing when to CA against A Character and His X, dodging in place between his attacks makes that window of opportunity even smaller to get him off you. You have to be really paying attention.

On wake up, Relius can dodge our 236D and even all hits of it if positioned normally... Positioning 236D a little further away from Relius probably works better against him since he will dodge the first few hits and recover on top of the last hits of the attack.

Also, if you're pressing him, 236X may get dodged by him completely. I don't recall any of the 236X series going past Relius (since A and B track his X position). However, 236C positioned correctly may hit him during recovery... or whiff miserably. Feel it out.

Obviously, this move will stop a lot of autopiloting pressure from us. Just remember, he has to take a guess when to use the dodge, make sure he guesses wrong or doubt the viability of it.

Now onto Lambda strengths in this match up. While Ignis can be a *****, she does have a gauge. Relius cannot just throw out Ignis all willy nilly, he has to be smart about it and if Lambda doesn't fall for any of those stupid little tactics he throws out, she won't have any problem against him full screen. I don't believe you can punish him for doing anything with Ignis, but at the same time taking a chuck out of the Ignis bar is more than enough of a win for me. Eventually he has to approach Lambda, and it won't be fun.

BUT he still does have the spin! Using spike chaser or the wheel against Relius is suicide. He can just spin out of Lambda's attacks and really dictate how the match will be played with one attack. BUT it is hard to land 100% of the time AND not only that Lambda can just bait it out and destroy him for spamming it. Its like I said earlier how Relius can limit Lambda's options and react accordingly. Lambda does the same thing while zoning vs Relius. While Relius does have very good options to get in, they are not spam able and he doesn't have many of them. Lambda can quickly eliminate some of what he can do and then punish him.

Lastly Lambda is a zoning character, and Relius is a rush down. Its just in their characters nature for Relius to have a hard time getting in, its the way it is. Relius has no super godlike options like D nails, or Hazama chains to approach. IMHO I think that Relius has one of the hardest times getting in, but one of the most rewarding if he does.

Conclusion
Don't **** with Relius. 50-50

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
I'm definitely going to have to use that spin move more often. The mix-up potential and pressure with that is just...I can't even begin to fathom that ****. That match Rutger posted earlier had a really good example of that dodge actually causing a mixup with Ignis' volley-attack super. He created what looked like a psuedo-unblockable setup by passing through Hazama with the dodge move itself and getting behind him.

Great read, Seph. Can't say that I disagree with any of that at all, even in my (very) limited experience in the match-up because it makes a lot of sense when you cross-reference high-level Relius play.

Thanks a million.

Smooth Criminal

lilseph

Smash Ace
Not a problem man. I might be super rusty and not what I used to be... but at least I'm still knowledgeable! :)

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
I do like that post lilseph, nothing I really disagree with.

However, I would like to say that 50-50 sounds good for when Relius Has Ignis, no problems there and I will mention again that I am definitely not an expert on this, but the matchup does move into Lambda's favor whenever Relius does not have Ignis imo.

Ignis is a very limited resource, one Relius can easily gain back but limited nonetheless and he will have to fight without her at times. Lambda doesn't have a limited resource such as that, so I am more concerned about a patient Lambda, one that will be careful enough to wait it out safely for when Relius removes Ignis and smart enough to keep Reilus out with good use of her swords.

I still don't think it would be terrible, and 50-50 could still be possible, but I do think that it would be a bit more in Lambda's favor right now honestly.

lilseph

Smash Ace
Another thing I forgot to mention that you did bring up. If Relius uses most of his Ignis gauge to approach, he will have little to none left for pressure. Without Ignis, Relius is really not a problem.

Its the same deal with Rachel, Rachel NEEDS her wind gauge to get in, and she requires it to really get anywhere mix up wise against Lambda. While Ignis is a very strong resource, its as you said it is limited.

Again, I do think it is 50-50, MIGHT be 55-45, but I don't think so.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
Fair enough, it's not really a big difference and I agree with your points anyways. :/

Maybe as I learn to manage Ignis better and get to fight this matchup more my opinion might change, but until then...

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Good read, Seph.

So, I've had a couple people ask if we're going to be having another tournament any time soon.

Here's the deal: previous to the LH tournaments that F8AL endorsed, people just did tournaments if they felt like it. Then for a while, F8AL wanted to make tournaments special, so we had the tournament subforum, and there were limited postbits that could win for participating. However, now that F8AL is no longer a mod, the tournaments for postbits and stuff aren't happening anymore. That being said, we can still run tournaments if we want to, we'll just run them out of this thread.

So, that being said: is anyone interested in another tournament this soon? I was planning on waiting until late April/early May, but if there's enough people that want to do one, then it's cool. Would anyone else be interested in running it this time? (I don't always have to do it. I'm more than willing to let other people run a tournament if they want to, and I can update the OP with tournament-related info, if necessary.)

Let me know! :3c

Sephiroths Masamune

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Good read, Seph.
But I didn't... *looks up* :(

So, I've had a couple people ask if we're going to be having another tournament any time soon.

Here's the deal: previous to the LH tournaments that F8AL endorsed, people just did tournaments if they felt like it. Then for a while, F8AL wanted to make tournaments special, so we had the tournament subforum, and there were limited postbits that could win for participating. However, now that F8AL is no longer a mod, the tournaments for postbits and stuff aren't happening anymore. That being said, we can still run tournaments if we want to, we'll just run them out of this thread.

So, that being said: is anyone interested in another tournament this soon? I was planning on waiting until late April/early May, but if there's enough people that want to do one, then it's cool. Would anyone else be interested in running it this time? (I don't always have to do it. I'm more than willing to let other people run a tournament if they want to, and I can update the OP with tournament-related info, if necessary.)

Let me know! :3c
I'd be interested in a tourney, but you can still run postbit tourneys, they're just run through John24k. At least that's what CK told me.

Crusayer

Smash Lord
sometime after march 25th would be cool with me

otherwise my mind is on melee melty
Fixed.

jk lol. Gl at NWM mang! New gen falco!

On-topic of the tournament, april is like finals month `-`. I don't think that'd be a good month to start the tournament lol. Also, how about we just do ranbats since it's not like we have that many people anyway. Make sure everyone gets to play everyone~

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
I'm game. I need to play with you guys more often anyway.

Lyth, put down Relius as my main. I don't think I'll be playing anyone else in Extend.

Smooth Criminal

Sephiroths Masamune

Shocodoro Blagshidect
May is too long away.

I guess I'll run one, but the set up will probably just a re-post of your tourney.

And what do you guys think of having a side tourney of unlimited characters for fun? If we do this, you wont get postbits though.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
I'd be more then happy to run the tournament anytime anybody wants to do it. 360 and PS3 alike. I'll obviously be entering the 360 side of it. Wish there was a prize for it like last time though.

Also is there anyway to increase my PSR faster? I mean save for requesting stronger opponents obviously. So far I've won about 18 games or something and only lost 2 and I'm at 101 PSR. Too bad you couldnt challenge someone directly. Wanna take on some 700+ PSR players.

:phone:

lilseph

Smash Ace
Nope there is no way to make it go faster. Don't worry though it actually goes up fairly quickly. Scrimgore is at the top of the Tager leader boards with 840 PSR and hes 144-2 or something like that LOL

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm probably not gonna participate in this tourney. :(

Too much going on atm.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Nope there is no way to make it go faster. Don't worry though it actually goes up fairly quickly. Scrimgore is at the top of the Tager leader boards with 840 PSR and hes 144-2 or something like that LOL
Whats your PSR with Lambda? I'll feel accomplished once I meet you on ranked. :D I've practiced enough to feel that I've finally gotten somewhere in this game.

Crusayer

Smash Lord
I've never played on ranked before. Does anyone on PS3 know what ranked netplay is like? Last time I tried was in CS and it was like a delay 9000 game.

I've been put off from it just because of that one game >_>;

Jdietz43

BRoomer
BRoomer
I've never played on ranked before. Does anyone on PS3 know what ranked netplay is like? Last time I tried was in CS and it was like a delay 9000 game.

I've been put off from it just because of that one game >_>;
It's fine. You just have to tell it not to accept connections below 2. Then your games are like standard netplay (unless someone reaally sucks and the system is like "buh?" but that's very seldom)

lilseph

Smash Ace
Whats your PSR with Lambda? I'll feel accomplished once I meet you on ranked. :D I've practiced enough to feel that I've finally gotten somewhere in this game.

Like 150. I don't really play online much anyways :p

Crusayer

Smash Lord
Wut. Liesssss.

I remember you talking about how you learned everything from netplay \o/.

lilseph

Smash Ace
Yeah in CT >.>

I've played somewhere close to 12000 games of CT online. From CS1 to present, its about 6000-7000 games lol

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
****. YES.

My first match on ranked today without warmups and I set a custom match, I get a Noel with a 720+ PSR ranking. Me being at 101? I beat her in a close epic set. Set them right down to 700 PSR afterwards.

[EDIT]

Crap. And now online Tager is ripping me a new one. alas.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yeah in CT >.>

I've played somewhere close to 12000 games of CT online. From CS1 to present, its about 6000-7000 games lol
Dayum, that's a lot of games.

I think I got almost 2000 games in CS. I only got to like level 60, and my highest psr was like 140 with makoto, lol.

I'm a scrub.

****. YES.

My first match on ranked today without warmups and I set a custom match, I get a Noel with a 720+ PSR ranking. Me being at 101? I beat her in a close epic set. Set them right down to 700 PSR afterwards.

[EDIT]

Crap. And now online Tager is ripping me a new one. alas.
But PSR only goes down 1 point at a time usually. :054:

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Dayum, that's a lot of games.

I think I got almost 2000 games in CS. I only got to like level 60, and my highest psr was like 140 with makoto, lol.

I'm a scrub.

But PSR only goes down 1 point at a time usually. :054:
Musta gotten caught up in the moment. fffffff Oh well.

Top Bottom