• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Big MI Discussion Topic

lain

Smash Master
wth ankoku. i never woulda thought you played.

O_o apparently there are a few people that play magic.

yeah alex, i'm going down to GYGO for the booster draft this friday. then this saturday if the tournament ends early enough i'm gonna go with a friend to their 2HG booster draft.

Scala

Smash Ace
I know how to play and if I was rich I would invest the time and money to play this, however I'm not rich but I do enjoy MTG a lot.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
I know how to play and if I was rich I would invest the time and money to play this, however I'm not rich but I do enjoy MTG a lot.
This is why you people need moar booster drafts. Seriously.

And Lain, I may be going to the one on Friday. I'll be the one there holding up everyone else because I haven't played magic in so long. And I'll be reading all the cards, since I haven't seen a set since the beginning of Mirrodin (when I stopped playing).

Scala

Smash Ace
This is why you people need moar booster drafts. Seriously.

And Lain, I may be going to the one on Friday. I'll be the one there holding up everyone else because I haven't played magic in so long. And I'll be reading all the cards, since I haven't seen a set since the beginning of Mirrodin (when I stopped playing).
How much do booster drafts usually cost and where is the one located that you/lain might be going to? I might be interested in meeting up :3

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
How much do booster drafts usually cost and where is the one located that you/lain might be going to? I might be interested in meeting up :3
Cheap. I usually played in anywhere between $5 to $10 booster drafts, and you end up with a good amount of cards if you do well. I'm not sure of GYGO's pricing, but I'm sure its not that bad. Drafts definitely beat having to spend your entire bank account just to get a decent deck.

And GYGO is located right next to my/Vayseth's place, which is about 10 minutes walking distance from where Rofa's biweeklies were at. We potentially could smash after the draft, but I'm fairly sure I have to record a podcast sometime this weekend, so I dunno exactly when I'll be free.

Scala

Smash Ace
Poo. I don't really want to drive out to AA Friday, and then again on Saturday.

That's cheaper than I thought it would be. It really sucks if you want to get into the game itself because there is a couple hundred dollar initial investment (if you want to have a chance) and then you have to keep updating~

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Poo. I don't really want to drive out to AA Friday, and then again on Saturday.

That's cheaper than I thought it would be. It really sucks if you want to get into the game itself because there is a couple hundred dollar initial investment (if you want to have a chance) and then you have to keep updating~
Do ya know what booster drafts are? The entire tournament starts with people making a deck out of booster packs they get. Then you play the tournament with that deck. Doesn't require any extra money or any updating.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
GYGO's cool enough to supply us with the basic lands, right?
Anyway, I can't go, but I'll think about it in the future...

Also, wtf booster drafts at $5? Three boosters on their own cost $12, how could you not kill your own business running an eight-man draft at less than half that price?

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
That wasn't GYGO's pricing. I dunno what they do. And yeah it was a bit more expensive whenever we got some guys together and bought an entire box to hold a booster draft in my friends house. But those were still awesome, especially because my brother and I usually did really well so we got first picks on the rares, and we make decks from the same pool of cards, so we essentially got 2x the rares everyone else did :D

lain

Smash Master
http://www.getyourgameonline.com/

$15 booster draft.

at that price, it's 3 boosters and the rest basically goes to the store, which helps them give out prizes like a box of boosters to first and **** like that.

top 8 get like a **** ton of booster i think. or maybe that was juust because the last booster was for a pre-release event.

Scala

Smash Ace
Scala: Read my thread plz
Sorry, which one? I looked back a page and then hit up the OP and I don't see anything.

As for the booster drafts, how do you make a deck out of 3 booster packs? Don't they have 10 or so cards each and don't you need like 50 for a deck?

Anyways I'll probably skip out on the one on friday since I've had some bills to pay and.. yeah, you know the deal.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Packs are 15 cards each - 11 commons, 3 uncommons, 1 rare. Drafts are usually 8 people, each opens a pack, picks a card, passes the rest left/right; picks a card, etc. until all the cards are picked, then opens the next pack, until all three packs are done with. Then you grab some basic lands and make a 40 card deck. All unused cards become your sideboard.

Vayseth

Smash Master
Sorry, which one? I looked back a page and then hit up the OP and I don't see anything.

As for the booster drafts, how do you make a deck out of 3 booster packs? Don't they have 10 or so cards each and don't you need like 50 for a deck?

Anyways I'll probably skip out on the one on friday since I've had some bills to pay and.. yeah, you know the deal.
I tried to hit ya up on AIM. I was gonna say you could come out for that and then stay over Friday and Saturday, but it might be better if you just come out Saturday.

Scala

Smash Ace
I tried to hit ya up on AIM. I was gonna say you could come out for that and then stay over Friday and Saturday, but it might be better if you just come out Saturday.
Yeah, thanks for the offer. We gotta play some friendlies on Saturday though, I haven't gotten to play you yet!

My AIM is being wierd but yeah I never got a message. No worries though.

Vayseth

Smash Master
The tournaments lately have been real hit or miss. Most get around 20 people however, this one on Sunday looks like it'll be rather big. I'm excited.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
You'd better be coming to my tournament everyone! IT'S XBOX HUGE.
Translation: this is turning out to be likely one of the highest level Brawl tournaments Michigan has ever had, and potentially have one of the largest turnouts, too (not including the early Brawl UMBs)

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Translation: this is turning out to be likely one of the highest level Brawl tournaments Michigan has ever had, and potentially have one of the largest turnouts, too (not including the early Brawl UMBs)
why wouldn't you count those? I'd say they were pretty successful at starting MI's brawl scene.

Also, i heard that it only had an average turnout (but did draw Vidjo and OS).

Vayseth

Smash Master
why wouldn't you count those? I'd say they were pretty successful at starting MI's brawl scene.

Also, i heard that it only had an average turnout (but did draw Vidjo and OS).
It had 14 teams, which is really good for MI. But then dropped to 26 entrants in singles, due to people playing in friendlies and then wanting to go because the competition was so fierce. It definitely was fierce competition and no n00bs wanted to stay. Hopefully we'll get a huge turnout for the circuit event.

lain

Smash Master
well, it didn't draw JUST vidjo and OS, it brought all the other talent from the other states too... a little more then a third of the entrants were OOS'ers.

UMB's are cool though. sign me up for that hot melee. : )

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
But then dropped to 26 entrants in singles, due to people playing in friendlies and then wanting to go because the competition was so fierce. It definitely was fierce competition and no n00bs wanted to stay.
lol, whoops. Maybe I shouldn't've crushed souls since I was planning on leaving before singles.

lain

Smash Master
ATTN: EVERYONE

MSOP 3 is in only 5 days or whatever, and we really need to go to this cause it's not bad at all to get to. Both ways TOTAL, it will cost about $106. So let's just say $30 from each person if we get 4. Anther and I already want to go, so WHO ELSE WANTS TO GO.

i mean, it'd be ridiculous not to go. it's super cheap to get to, and it's the first MW circuit event. LET'S DO THIS.

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=178221

Top Bottom