• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Big MI Discussion Topic

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
I kinda want to try out Pierpont Commons Cafe for SWEET VII just to see how it handles an increased turnout. I'm starting to have doubts that it could hold the potential 200 person turnout for Big House 2 that we talked about earlier.

Roller

Smash Legend
Yaokzir, where are you at? You gonna be coming to tourneys?? Would be sweet to see some new faces.

Also, Ann Arbor. Smash today? I reeeeally want to. I'm free at 4. I'll check with THuGz.

Alsoalso. Has anybody heard from Julian/Zinoto recently? Been a while since he's responded to my/thugz' texts. He had also been planning on going to SWEET over the weekend but didn't show up.

Roller

Smash Legend
Also. Pretty much the entire West Coast is foregoing Unity and strictly using the Japanese ruleset. I highly recommend we as a state do the same. The Japanese play with the list and kicked our *****, clearly the stages/timer wont hold us back skill-wise. Also, it gets rid of people johning about stages. (obviously I'm a big culprit of this, but come on... Brinstar is just ****ing stupid.)

It makes the game as pvp as possible, focusing on reading/limiting eachothers options. And for the most part, whoever does that best wins. As opposed to have a stage remove options/strategies for you. At the end of the day, using those stages as a crutch may win you a match or 2, but in the long run you are doing yourself a disservice by using them. You're depriving yourself of the opportunity to hone your own skills when you rely on a "gay" stage.

I challenge everyone here to NOT cp those stages, even when they ARE legal. Not for me, or for fairness, but for yourself.

EDIT: West Coast's thoughts

I especially recommend reading the Census that Tag did in SoCal.

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
Also. Pretty much the entire West Coast is foregoing Unity and strictly using the Japanese ruleset. I highly recommend we as a state do the same. The Japanese play with the list and kicked our *****, clearly the stages/timer wont hold us back skill-wise. Also, it gets rid of people johning about stages. (obviously I'm a big culprit of this, but come on... Brinstar is just ****ing stupid.)

It makes the game as pvp as possible, focusing on reading/limiting eachothers options. And for the most part, whoever does that best wins. As opposed to have a stage remove options/strategies for you. At the end of the day, using those stages as a crutch may win you a match or 2, but in the long run you are doing yourself a disservice by using them. You're depriving yourself of the opportunity to hone your own skills when you rely on a "gay" stage.

I challenge everyone here to NOT cp those stages, even when they ARE legal. Not for me, or for fairness, but for yourself.

EDIT: West Coast's thoughts

I especially recommend reading the Census that Tag did in SoCal.
I read that blog, it is really insightful. But I'm glad that I have other MI TOs willing to join in the change. I'm still iffy on the airtime rule, but I don't se it as a problem with a 10 minute timer. But eh I need to practice with the Japanese stagelist since I plan on going to SRT. I don't think I've played a match on :brinstar::rainbowcruise: or :ps2: since Skynet.

Didn't the japanese train using the apex ruleset once they knew what it was and they were going including running tournaments using the APEX rules?
yes they practiced with the APEX stagelist.
I won't cp gay stages anymore

unless you're roller

down with unity!!!!
:phone:
I wouldn't say down with Unity, I think Unity just needs to take a step back and look at everything again. It was good in the beginning, but now not so much :urg:

Roller

Smash Legend
With Neutrals being: BF/SV/FD
Counterpicks being: LC/YI/DP

Also, something interesting to note is that when the japanese hosted tournaments with the Apex stagelist, Metaknights became significantly more prominent in the top 8.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Man.....being in the URC now has made things really awkward for me with the whole overwhelming response to the Japanese Ruleset. I have much to think about. And it's really not as easy as you guys think it is to just run whatever I want since I have a sense of duty to the URC. And it's not like I wanna leave it right now because I have some projects that Im working on. Hmmmm what should I do?? lol

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
Derek its up to you.

You are a TO you decide how your events will be ran. Yes the URC is going to hold you back but that is something that you knew might come when you signed up for the job right?

Roller and I want to try out the Japanese Ruleset because we feel like it could be the cool/beneficial thing to do. You are the TO, you are in charge of making a ruleset that is for the betterment of the community. Be the master of your fate.

IMO this game is more fun with more balanced stages, hence why I support the Japanese Ruleset.

Roller

Smash Legend
You should seriously just get a movement going within the URC to have THEM endorse the Japanese ruleset (like make the next version of the Unity ruleset be the Japanese ruleset), perhaps with slight modifications. Is Mike Haze still in the URC? If so he seems to support the Japanese ruleset. I'm sure plenty of others do as well.

But after all is said and done, if your views are not being heard; and they are forcing you to run rulesets you don't believe are best for the growth and improvement of our community, then you owe it to yourself, and the Michigan Brawl scene as a whole to say to hell with them and leave.

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
Ori quit changing your rulesets
Tech run unity you being a part of that is more important then people complaining about the ruleset

Ori run APEX
Roller run Japanese
Tech run Unity
This is true. But I wanna run a Japanese Ruleset at least once as well as APEX to see which one I like more.

DRDN

Smash Master
8623 Hickory Drive, Sterling Heights MI 48312
Ya'll are ****ies. Gave up on MK ban so fast.
MK was banned for about an hour and then everyone started to flip flop on the ban...

The URC announced months ago that after Janurary 9th (APEX2012) Metaknight would be banned from all Unity Tournaments. And since mroe then not TOs follow the Unity Ruleset it would mean that it would be harder to find a tourney with him legal then not. After America Lost APEX everyone said that they should undo the ban because the japenese dont ban him and they usually win with non MK(although it was an MK that took singles and double MK that took doubles, Doubles WF/GF was Quad MK)

Top Bottom