• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Big Dirty Question : ROSTER SIZE?

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Well balance patches are a thing... And as I see it that probably wouldn't happen, at least, I don't think we'd get an equivalent of meta knight this round but something higher then the level of melee fox is a possibility I guess.
Yh but theres only so much patches can do...plus how many times do you think Sakurai would be willing to do it.......?

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Well, let's look at it by using SCIENCE!

There were 12 characters in SSB64, with 8 starters and 4 unlockables.

Then in Melee, we had all of the original 12, plus 4 new starters and 9 new unlockables. This nearly doubled the roster, with 25 characters, no cuts.

In Brawl, we had 5 characters cut, making 20 veterans, plus 9 new starters and 6 new unlockables. This added 35 characters, only adding 10 new spots in the roster.

Sakurai has stated they're trying to make no cuts, and are trying to get a ton of characters in. We can confirm there are at least 8 starters (Mario, DK, Link, Kirby, Samus, Fox, Pikachu, Olimar) plus 4 other characters (Luigi, Wii Fit Trainer, Villager, Mega Man) means we have 12 confirmed characters. if we go to logic, we can say that there will be 6 new starter characters. If we include Villager and Wii Fit Trainer as starters, it means that there may only be 4 new starting characters. However, I believe that we will get no cuts from Brawl. That makes 37 spots so far. This means, to get an ideal roster of 42-50 characters, we will get 4-12 new characters. And, looking at trends, I can guess on some info.

-Based on the fact that new starter characters seem to follow a trend of being their own series, I'm going to predict that Little Mac is in the game and is a starter.
-We all think Mewtwo will return.
-I'm including a fourth third-party.
-Every game introduces a new rep for Star Fox and Pokemon.

So those rumors supposedly "confirm" that there are at least 42 characters. I'm going to guess that there is a nice round number of 47-50 characters.

Cool Daddy Booty Funk

Smash Cadet
I honestly think there is a possibility that a large number of characters cut and we have a roster size smaller than brawl. Maybe even the size of melee's roster.

Stompman

BRoomer
BRoomer
I think many people would be greatly disappointed if the roster were smaller than Brawl's. Remember, this game needs to sell both the die-hard tournament players like most of this board and the casual players such as myself. I'm predicting anywhere from 42-50 characters, before transformations, with a few cuts from Brawl's roster, and a return or two from Melee.

moneyfrenzy

Smash Ace

Then in Melee, we had all of the original 12, plus 4 new starters and 9 new unlockables. This nearly doubled the roster, with 25 characters, no cuts.

In Brawl, we had 5 characters cut, making 20 veterans, plus 9 new starters and 6 new unlockables. This added 35 characters, only adding 10 new spots in the roster.

Sakurai has stated they're trying to make no cuts, and are trying to get a ton of characters in. We can confirm there are at least 8 starters (Mario, DK, Link, Kirby, Samus, Fox, Pikachu, Olimar) plus 4 other characters (Luigi, Wii Fit Trainer, Villager, Mega Man) means we have 12 confirmed characters. if we go to logic, we can say that there will be 6 new starter characters. If we include Villager and Wii Fit Trainer as starters, it means that there may only be 4 new starting characters. However, I believe that we will get no cuts from Brawl. That makes 37 spots so far. This means, to get an ideal roster of 42-50 characters, we will get 4-12 new characters. And, looking at trends, I can guess on some info.

-Based on the fact that new starter characters seem to follow a trend of being their own series, I'm going to predict that Little Mac is in the game and is a starter.

So those rumors supposedly "confirm" that there are at least 42 characters. I'm going to guess that there is a nice round number of 47-50 characters.
What about pit and bowser?? And Brawl either had 39 or 35 characters depending on the way you look at it, not 37

TewnLeenk

Can pick up a boulder with relative ease
BRoomer

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I would be happy with a roster between 30/35 but it does depend who the chars are and most importantly the balance needs to be far great than brawls.

I still believe and support Sakurai's catchphrase for Sm4sh.

Quality>Quantity.

But i think some PeePz want the other way round...thats why this thread keeps hopping...but meh...everyones likes different things....i just think it will benefit the game more in general and expecially in the long run.

See like 50 chars only 10 Viable for hard play
35 chars - 15-20 viable for hard play?

moneyfrenzy

Smash Ace
Although im fine either way, Balance wont sell the game. I prefer quality over quantity,
But for the general public, people would always want more over less, and if they make a 30 character game, it will not be as popular as if the game had 45 characters

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

Sakurai did however say that we should expect cuts, he said outright that the reality of the situation is that there simply isn't enough time to bring everyone back. People argue whether this refers to the Melee vets too, but I think Sakurai knew what context it was in. He also said some time before/early production that he doesn't want a too big roster, because it'll be too hard to balance, and he'd rather have a well balanced game than a game with a gigantic roster.

I'm personally expecting anywhere from 40-45 character, they may have a big development team, but it's still A LOT of work, it's crazy, they really deserve some kind of "Best Development Team Ever" award if they manage to not only get every character from Brawl in, but also round it up to 50 AND keep it well balanced at the same time. Realistically they can't reach all of those goals.

grizby2

Smash Lord
too bad they can't put out a public beta test. I would pour every once of my being into it.
when video games came out for the first time, they didn't really care to see if their game had any flaws. the just slapped some code into a plastic medium and tried to make cash on it. :glare: there were only a select few who put time into that sort of thing.

then around the ps1/n64 era, they decided that it was something to consider, so they hired beta testers. unfortunately, it didn't feel like the beta testers themselves played video games at all and just kinda stuck to it like a dead end job.

its just sad in my eyes. beta testers should be people like US, and I hope NamcoBandai is just that.
of course now'a days, beta testing is ALOT better and taken seriously.
when they think something isn't balanced, they need to: call it out immediately, test it, analyze the facts, then determine weather or not it is in fact unbalanced.

OT: I think 45 characters is a good number, and I believe 50 is within the realm of possibility. I know you can do it NamcoBandai!

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Adding a character in Smash Bros. is a lot like multiplying. Say you add Mario first. Then you add DK. Now you have to tweak Mario so that he balances with DK. Then you add Link and you have to tweak DK and Mario so they balance with Link while still balancing with each other, and so on and so forth. It's not quite as simple as "K, Mario's done. Let's do DK and then get started on Link".

Because of that, I do think we'll be lucky to pass 50. 48 even seems a little high. We'll probably get ~10 newcomers. I'd be very okay with around 45.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Why Sonic? Ninty and Sega have been best buddies lately, so I doubt he will be cut.
That and sonic has 2 new games coming and he could get added for a celebration of one of them

In October lost worlds
Or in November the next Mario and sonic at the Olympic Games its the next winter by the way

Supporting sonic by the way not against

Groose

Smash Champion
Adding a character in Smash Bros. is a lot like multiplying. Say you add Mario first. Then you add DK. Now you have to tweak Mario so that he balances with DK. Then you add Link and you have to tweak DK and Mario so they balance with Link while still balancing with each other, and so on and so forth. It's not quite as simple as "K, Mario's done. Let's do DK and then get started on Link".

Because of that, I do think we'll be lucky to pass 50. 48 even seems a little high. We'll probably get ~10 newcomers. I'd be very okay with around 45.

I agree.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

Nice pretty accurate

But 2 mistakes where's pit and bowser and sakurai assures they're going to be a couple of cuts but probably less than 5 this time and probably like 3 cuts

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
Really!? How many obscure, forgotten characters, clones, and cobbled-together movesets do you want, exactly?
Well if there are 35 characters not counting transformations in brawl and if there were no cuts then 10 new characters would be pretty great :p

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I find it funny how during the preBrawl days everyone was expecting 45-50 characters up from 26 characters but now that we have 39 most people don't think they'll break past 45. Maybe it's better that people are keeping this expectations low this time around given how wild and unrealistic they were for Brawl.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I find it funny how during the preBrawl days everyone was expecting 45-50 characters up from 26 characters but now that we have 39 most people don't think they'll break past 45. Maybe it's better that people are keeping this expectations low this time around given how wild and unrealistic they were for Brawl.
Sakurai never gave a hint like this before.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Sakurai never gave a hint like this before.
Except he was incredibly vague (like always) and he made similar comments with Brawl, even explicitly noting that not everyone would return. He never outright said that the roster would be small or that the number of new characters overall would be severally reduced from Brawl. Honestly, it's not all that different except now everyone is more pessimistic about what has been said than optimistic like with Brawl.

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
Rooster Size:

As you may have guessed, roosters are far larger than the average hen.

SonicMario

Smash Master
I think there will be somewhere around 45 characters (Not counting Transformations/The different Pokemon for Pokemon Trainer)

Around 40 Nintendo Characters and 2-4 Third Parties (There's no way Mega Man's going to be the lonely 3rd Party. Sonic's practically a shoe-in. Snake's a bit unsure but I personally would rather have him back then not. Pac-Man being among the more likely 3rd Party newcomers albeit it's not a sure thing. I'd say Snake's return is at least a tiny bit more likely then Pac-Man being in the game even with Namco helping with this game. But if Namco's getting a rep at all it will be Pac-Man)

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Honestly I am expecting around 42-43 characters myself and personally don't want more then 45. Give them more time to work on gameplay and balance that way. :C

NJ_Gamer

Smash Rookie
Smash 64 had 12, Melee had 26, Brawl had 39 total with 4 cut (I count Toon Link and Young Link as the same character) with 17 new characters. I think this new one has about 52 with 4 or 5 Brawl characters cut.

nat pagle

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0834-1759-2409
Smash 64 had 12, Melee had 26, Brawl had 39 total with 4 cut (I count Toon Link and Young Link as the same character) with 17 new characters. I think this new one has about 52 with 4 or 5 Brawl characters cut.

52 is too high. Especially with two separate games.

Blaziken77

Smash Rookie
I'd say 60-ish.. Yes, there's the time thing and all that. And low space. But don't forget that they don't have to make a giant, long time-taking story mode like Subspace Emissary. That'll make things easier. Then take in that 3ds will have like 25 stages, and a very small single-player most likely... I think there's a good chance of a dlarge addition to the roster.

nat pagle

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0834-1759-2409
I'd say 60-ish.. Yes, there's the time thing and all that. And low space. But don't forget that they don't have to make a giant, long time-taking story mode like Subspace Emissary. That'll make things easier. Then take in that 3ds will have like 25 stages, and a very small single-player most likely... I think there's a good chance of a dlarge addition to the roster.

60? That's really pushing it, Sakurai wants balance and having 60 characters is going to be tough.

TewnLeenk

BRoomer
The general consensus around here is about 40-45 characters. Is that fair to say?

TewnLeenk

BRoomer
I'd say 40-50 would be a bit more accurate

Hm yeah you're probably right. I'm not sure if I can wrap my head around the potential of Smash Bros having 50 characters though. It sounds almost too good to be true.

Top Bottom