• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Big Dirty Question : ROSTER SIZE?

TewnLeenk

Can pick up a boulder with relative ease
BRoomer
What do you guys think. More than Brawl? Less? This question is really bugging me. I'm thinking same number as Brawl, but I really don't know.

Discuss what you think the roster size will be.

Bodies ready, lets go.

SirGalvan

Smash Journeyman
im thinking it will be larger with some characters getting cut (pretty sure toon link got cut seeing how is a npc on a stage)

TewnLeenk

Can pick up a boulder with relative ease
BRoomer
im thinking it will be larger with some characters getting cut (pretty sure toon link got cut seeing how is a npc on a stage)

I realized that. Trying to accept it. Oh well, I can start new with a new character.

But I agree. Larger than Brawl, with many cuts.

nessokman

Smash Lord
Shut up about that people! The link from WW and ST are different, hundreds or thousands of years apart. Plus do was on 75m

Smaller than brawl, but only by a few

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'm guessing 45 max., meaning 7 new, unrevealed characters.

Considering there are a lot of candidates for being dropped we may have to say goodbye and hello to a few. I know that Sakurai is trying to keep cuts to a minimum though so if an oldie doesn't get in they ran out of time, rather than them being replaced.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
As long as Mewtwo or Ridley is in i dont give a s_it how big it is or who is in...RealTalk....dont you just love honest bias? Expecially when your honest.

Plus if Ridley gets in there wont be enough time or memory to create anyone else because hes TOO BiG.

I would be happy if it is over 40 thats all i can say meh i would be happy if it was 35 even unless the chars are right and deserving.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Brawl had 36 I believe. I'd be happy with 40-42.
Lol its in your face its in everyones face listen

''we are going for quality over quantity we are more focused on balancing the cast than tryna add as many chars we did before or more.''

Then he says

''we are tryna cram as many chars in as possible...''

Those 2 statements contradict each other now YOU tell me where does

''Balance'' Fall in between these 2 Quotes?

It doesnt !

Seems like the game is not gonna be any more balanced than the previous games because it SEEMS like he is going by the same s_it.

Hes damn right when he goes its harder than ever because by mass stand point the rostee must increase....it would have been for the best if Melee had 20 then brawl would have had like what? 30?32?

Its just all stupid and doesnt make any sense...work work effort and depth should go into each char.

I rather have 20 unique looking/feeling chars who have balanced powers then 50 or so clone copy/paste movesets etc....

Thats why melees roster was so boring...if you look close they were only ever like 10 chars to play as......

GAHHDDDDDDD.....(-_-) F_ck Me.....

Salty the SLUG

Smash Ace
Lol its in your face its in everyones face listen

''we are going for quality over quantity we are more focused on balancing the cast than tryna add as many chars we did before or more.''

Then he says

''we are tryna cram as many chars in as possible...''

Those 2 statements contradict each other now YOU tell me where does

''Balance'' Fall in between these 2 Quotes?

It doesnt !

Seems like the game is not gonna be any more balanced than the previous games because it SEEMS like he is going by the same s_it.

Hes damn right when he goes its harder than ever because by mass stand point the rostee must increase....it would have been for the best if Melee had 20 then brawl would have had like what? 30?32?

Its just all stupid and doesnt make any sense...work work effort and depth should go into each char.

I rather have 20 unique looking/feeling chars who have balanced powers then 50 or so clone copy/paste movesets etc....

Thats why melees roster was so boring...if you look close they were only ever like 10 chars to play as......

GAHHDDDDDDD.....(-_-) F_ck Me.....
Everyone has their favorite characters, so to cut one character is to mentally "flip off" a crowd of people. However, you are right, too many clones and not enough originality was in the past 2 games. I feel like they CAN achieve atleast 40-42 ORIGINAL characters by the time the game is release next year. But if they only had 20 characters... it's like flipping off a small country; a loyal, powerful country.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Everyone has their favorite characters, so to cut one character is to mentally "flip off" a crowd of people. However, you are right, too many clones and not enough originality was in the past 2 games. I feel like they CAN achieve atleast 40-42 ORIGINAL characters by the time the game is release next year. But if they only had 20 characters... it's like flipping off a small country; a loyal, powerful country.
Yh but if there was 999 chars someone would be butthurt that F_cking a peice of grass isnt a char...it is IMPOSSIBLE to please everyone....impossible.

Salty the SLUG

Smash Ace
Yh but if there was 999 chars someone would be butthurt that F_cking a peice of grass isnt a char...it is IMPOSSIBLE to please everyone....impossible.
The Grass character has moves like HM01, morning dew, Photosynthesis, and weed-growth! Yeah, everyone has their favorite characters, but it's better to please almost everyone than almost no one.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I have faith in Sakurai that it will be balanced out, while still having a good amount of characters, and good characters with good movesets period. (hopefully no more characters like WFT though)

And my reaction if that doesn't happen-

Accf124

Smash Journeyman
I would rather have a roster of 45 characters to be honest, even if would require more time to balance everyone and give me decent movesets it really wouldn't matter that much. People waited a long time for a new smash title, so giving it a little more time wouldn't hurt anybody. Characters may not be the most important thing in fighting games, but having a little of them kinda ruins the hype.

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
I personally feel that the roster will be at least a little bigger then brawls and I don't think he will be that trigger happy with cuts :p 45 seems reasonable to me, 50 would be pretty cool if balancing and stuff didn't suffer too much from the ordeal. 45-50 would be my ideal range with 42-48 being a realistic range in my eyes.

XquiZiTX8X

Smash Cadet
People seem to be forgetting that a big developer (Namco) is helping out with the smash team, so with all that extra manpower there is no reason for it to be less than brawl. Or less than 45 for that matter. I think a lot of people are judging too much from Sakurai's constant whining and I'm sure the rest of the team is aiming for a bigger roster.

For me, I'd love for a 50-character roster. Yes, there will be balance issues with such a large roster and there will definitely be a best character and a worst character, but it is not hard to avoid the extreme balance-issue cases like MK and Ganondorf in brawl.

DarkFoxTeam

Smash Journeyman
My guess is that the roster is going to be around 40-45 characters. With Namco assisting in development there shouldn't be any reason for the roster to have a balanced roster of at least 40. If Tekken Tag Team Tournament can have a balanced roster of over 40 characters then im sure Smash Bros can too.

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
I'm thinking more than Brawl, but not as drastic an increase as between 64 -> Melee and Melee -> Brawl.

grizby2

Smash Lord
brawl had 39 characters.
assuming clones get re-worked and nobody gets cut, then 40 characters would be a giant disappointment. besides, it would be dead illogical since we saw 3 newcomers.

if it remains as 39 characters, that means we'll be getting a TON of cuts (3 already by that logic).

45 characters with with like... 2-3 cuts wouldn't be SO bad... I guess. 8-9 new characters seems good. maybe if Namco Bandai is extra awesome, maybe we'll get those 5 extra characters for an even 50. theres tons of characters with potential they could use, just send them a link to here and they'll be on cloud nine. :rolleyes:

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
People seem to be forgetting that a big developer (Namco) is helping out with the smash team, so with all that extra manpower there is no reason for it to be less than brawl. Or less than 45 for that matter. I think a lot of people are judging too much from Sakurai's constant whining and I'm sure the rest of the team is aiming for a bigger roster.

For me, I'd love for a 50-character roster. Yes, there will be balance issues with such a large roster and there will definitely be a best character and a worst character, but it is not hard to avoid the extreme balance-issue cases like MK and Ganondorf in brawl.
I think a good question to ask to everyone will be.

Would you be happy with a roster of 50 with the same char balance brawl had?

Imo No.

What about you lot?

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
I think a good question to ask to everyone will be.

Would you be happy with a roster of 50 with the same char balance brawl had?

Imo No.

What about you lot?
Well balance patches are a thing... And as I see it that probably wouldn't happen, at least, I don't think we'd get an equivalent of meta knight this round but something higher then the level of melee fox is a possibility I guess.

PokéMurio

Smash Apprentice
we'll get around 40 characters, i think these will be cutted from brawl:
-wolf
-snake
-sonic
-lucas
-pokemon trainer (maybe generation change)
-lucario (might be in with megaform)
-ike
-ice climbers

we have 3 newcomers so far. i think that the final amount of newcomers will be 8-10

Heefe

Smash Apprentice
Well I guess Lucario will be dropped and instead they put Mewtwo back in with his mega form. Hopefully they cut some copy characters like Pichu and Ganondorf. For Ganondorf I don't really mean to drop him at all, just rework his character (sword etc.)

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I am expecting 42-43 characters myself, not counting transformations. I'm more worried about gameplay. Just gimme a dragon that isn't tied to a stamina mechanic or isn't only a dragon via Final Smash and I will be content. :C

Networker1

Smash Journeyman
we'll get around 40 characters, i think these will be cutted from brawl:
-wolf
-snake
-sonic
-lucas
-pokemon trainer (maybe generation change)
-lucario (might be in with megaform)
-ike
-ice climbers

we have 3 newcomers so far. i think that the final amount of newcomers will be 8-10
Why Sonic? Ninty and Sega have been best buddies lately, so I doubt he will be cut.

Top Bottom