• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Best Way to Edgeguard with Link

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Link users often complain that Link has a poor edgeguarding game. This is mainly do to the fact that he has piss poor recovery and can't go very far off the stage. Contrary to what most people believe, Link has one of the most effective ways of edgeguarding, and its with his dair. It's not only Link's best method of edgeguarding, it's one of the best edgeguards period. In fact it's darn near unstoppable. So before you start thinking I'm full of crap, take a moment to read my explanation and tutorial on how to use Link's best method of edgeguarding:

When to do it:

You want to first get off the edge when the opponent is about as far as Mario is in this picture (you can start when they are a bit further down or to the side):

How to do it:

You can do this in two ways, both are similar and easy to do.

Method 1:

-SH off the stage
-While still on the way up on your SH, use Dair
-DI towards your opponent
-After either connecting the blow or missing, use your double jump and DI your ^B back towards the ledge

Method 2:
-Double Jump off the stage
-While on the way up on your second jump, use Dair
-DI towards your opponent
-After either connecting the blow or missing, DI your ^B back towards the ledge

Method one is more effective when you need to reach further down in the stage. Method 2 is more effective when you need to reach out further away from the stage. I prefer method 1, but both work well.

Why/How this works:
-It works like an extremely powerful, slow falling, high priority, sex kick
-Because you are falling so slow, if the opponent air dodges your are likely to still connect
-Almost any uair or fair an opponent tries won't be able to cancel out your dair
-It can kill at high percents, and deal a great amount of damage at low percents

Important to Note:
-If you have already reached the max point of your jump when you dair you will die if you miss
-Practice this and make sure you master the recovery before using it in a match
-If you hit or miss, when you regrab the ledge you are in a good position to edgehog using your clawshot
-Don't be afraid to reach a little further out than the picture above shows, if you use method 1 listed above and DI your recovery properly, you shouldn't have a problem getting back on the stage.

I'm sure some of you have never heard of this, and some of you are already using it! Either way, hope you enjoyed the read. Happy edgeguarding :)

AmigoOne

Smash Journeyman
Ya but the move shoots em straight up, back onto the stage. Works though

Trozz

Smash Ace
Ya but the move shoots em straight up, back onto the stage. Works though
Links d-air is a great kill move. It'll shoot them straight up alright.

you can't edgeguard in brawl
Some people register just to make useless comments like this.

Edgeguarding with d-air sounds risky. There are too many characters that have a better ledge game than Link. I'd just use projectiles.

KayJay

Smash Ace
NNID
KayJay84
3DS FC
1848-1677-7521
Links best edgeguard depends on which character you're playing against.
Characters with bad recovery like Mario or Marth are just asking for being galeguarded.
As for characters that believe they are not edgeguard-able, like metaknight, i do pick up a bomb near the edge -> fully jump forward out of the stage-> quickly drop the bomb and immediatley dair (not fast falling).
It works like every time when they are planning to fly / jump low under the edge, especially if metaknight trys to up b you, they get hit by your dair when they try to avoid the falling bomb, OR they get hit by the bomb and get knockbacked right into your dair. It's such a wonderful kill and practical.

Aurashade

Smash Ace
THE HALL OF FAME WHERE THE COOL PEOPLE GO
Links d-air is a great kill move. It'll shoot them straight up alright.

Some people register just to make useless comments like this.
ahaha omg you are so ****ing ********

I'm older than you, know more than you, will always know more, be better and I'm just an overall more awesome person than you. Not only are you wrong, but you think you're right.

very ignorant.

oliwonder

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-7363-3324-0043
this may be useful for if they're below the edge, but what about above it? One way that I edgeguard is I jump out and throw in a zair to stop their second jump and follow with a nair to knock them away then jump back and grab the edge. Of course, this won't work all the time but it's good when you pull it off.

D

Deleted member

who says link's edge guarding is ****?

go ahead and say that till i nair gimp your ***, gg

TANORI

Smash Journeyman

I'm older than you, know more than you, will always know more, be better and I'm just an overall more awesome person than you. Not only are you wrong, but you think you're right.

very ignorant.
lol

Aurashade

lol

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
I added when to use either method to the first post. thanks for the feedback so far.

Dieci

Smash Rookie

very ignorant.
It's okay Trozz, just let Aurashade be. The Internet is the only place he can be "awesome" and pretend he's cool.

Bengals, Deva has been using Dair to edge-guard a couple months ago.

Cosmick

Smash Apprentice

very ignorant.
Lol failed troll.

But yeah, thanks for the tip. I didn't know about this before.

D

Deleted member

Interesting. Even with your nose shoved that far up his a$$, you can still type.
i'm seriously just sitting back and laughing at you for actually being so stupid and falling into a troll trap. Once you actually learn how to play this game then you can come talk to me.

I bet you still have problems with DAC, and ledge hop bombs.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
take your flame war out of this topic. honestly, i'm not trying to have my topic locked because of another users immaturity....

Dieci

Smash Rookie
i'm seriously just sitting back and laughing at you for actually being so stupid and falling into a troll trap. Once you actually learn how to play this game then you can come talk to me.

I bet you still have problems with DAC, and ledge hop bombs.
HAHAHAHA. Wow, you remembered that I can't do dac 3 months ago. HAHAHAHA :laugh:

Dieci

Smash Rookie
take your flame war out of this topic. honestly, i'm not trying to have my topic locked because of another users immaturity....
The subject matter of your thread has been covered a hundred times already, either in discussions or vids. Again, Deva has been doing this at least 3 months ago in actual battle.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
you're asking a completely usless and utterly ******** question that can easily be answered in the numerous guides we have stickied at the top. It should have been locked from the start.
im not asking a question dumass

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
The subject matter of your thread has been covered a hundred times already, either in discussions or vids. Again, Deva has been doing this at least 3 months ago in actual battle.
I didn't make this topic to present a groundbreaking discovery. Just to formally create a place to show people who didn't already know about it what it was. And to further inform those who did know about it about it's potential.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
lol not if it makes you angry, that means his trolling is actually working

think about it
****. i guess he's not a bad troll after all :ohwell:

And again, I wasn't trying to present to everyone a brand new discovery...

Crow!

Smash Lord
You missed something important:

This can be done either before or after they reach the ledge. Your objective if they have already hit the ledge is to follow the ledge jumping trajectory and just barely miss hitting the ground on the way out.

If they roll they're fine, but if your opponent has demonstrated a preference for jumping, this will punish that. If they attack or just get up, depending on the timing (best case scenario is if they hang on the ledge for a half second before they get up so invincibility is shorter) you may hit them anyway. If they hesitate on the ledge you'll get them, too.

Not something you can do every time, but if you train them to roll to avoid this, then you have successfully made them predictable - now prepare to punish rolls.

And btw, in the cases where it works, I think clawshot edgehogging is way cooler.

Blubba_Pinecone

Smash Ace
Lmao @ Aura's first post. xD

Anywhoo, Link's got plenty to edgegard with. Dair, Nair, Fair, Gale, Bombs, Ftilt (sometimes)... Stage spiking with Nair and Bair and Bombs... Whole ton of useful stuff. Just have to know what to use and when to use it.

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
As for characters that believe they are not edgeguard-able, like metaknight, i do pick up a bomb near the edge -> fully jump forward out of the stage-> quickly drop the bomb and immediatley dair (not fast falling).
It works like every time when they are planning to fly / jump low under the edge, especially if metaknight trys to up b you, they get hit by your dair when they try to avoid the falling bomb, OR they get hit by the bomb and get knockbacked right into your dair. It's such a wonderful kill and practical.
that sounds sexy.

want to try.

Swordplay

Smash Lord

K jay has got the right idea...avoid the bomb and dair.---This really is the best edgaurd and only good edgegaurd.
Although it is very situation you can ZAC your dair.....

If you can time it right, you can get pretty out there if you need to and bomb jump recovery. I use it against characters that like to stall there recovery like pit.

On a side note. Any of you dissing Aurashade are 12 year old noobs who either don't understand sarcasm, Don't understand the importance of a good troll like aurashade on our boards, suck at smash, or are just ********. Pick your poison. Create combinations to prove your noobishness and leave the Link boards until you can contribute something useful. Also most people on these boards like aurashade so you are heavily outnumbered.

To the person who created this thread. It was an interesting topic with interesting ideas but your over your head if your dealing with aurashade. If you want this thread to continue I would suggest that you admit aurashade wins (he always does) and continue on with your thread. If not, your just like all the other 12 year old noobs and personally I don't think you are.....(yet)

Deva

Smash Lord
Omg, I leave the boards for a few days and it get's destroyed. WTF.

Okay, my input. I used to use dair edge guarding all the time. Yeah, you probably saw it in my old vid. It works really well.......until people start to figure ways around it. Against good players it works the first few times. But after they know what it is, they always get around it. Good players usually wait for you to jump b4 starting their up b so they can get around the dair and stage spike you.

THE NEW LINK EDGE GUARD:

As your opponent approaches the edge, pull a bomb. Then, jump over the stage, drop the bomb, and double jump into a dair. It's nearly foolproof. It creates 2 hazards for the recovering opponent that makes it nearly impossible to recover. here's your opponents options.

1. Up-b early and run into the bomb, either stage spiking them, forcing them back away from the stage again so you can repeat the process, or at really high percents, risking getting killed by the bomb lol, as well as getting blown into your dair.

2. Stall the up b as soon as they see you jump off the edge, avoid the bomb, and up-b right into your dair ^_^.

There's not much else, It's never failed me. Only problem is you cant always use it cuz it takes time to set up. It's best for the killing blow when the opponent is at higher percents so when they get knocked off the stage, it takes them a while to get back, giving you time to set it up.

Another good edgeguard is the clawshot stall near the edge as seen in Art of Link. One thing though, just grab the edge, and as your opponent aproaches, you can actually time the regrab with the clawshot 3 times so fast that you lose absolutely no invincibility frames, and since the claw instantly grabs the edge, your opponent cant. It's a lil different than what was in art of Link, same concept, much faster. And uses all your ledge grabs with the clawshot right away.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
wow, that new edgeguard is brilliant. i'm gonna have to practice that

Top Bottom