• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The best and worst recoveries in brawl?

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
I'm a firm believer that Ivysaur has a better recovery than Olimar. First, Olimar's range is pretty inconsistent depending on how many pikmin he has at his disposal. Second, Ivy has razor leaf to stop ledgehogging, where Olimar needs a purple pikmin for this. I just think Ivy has the better recovery game.

But

they're both really bad :[

Sh1n0b1

Smash Journeyman
Best Recovery is definately Meta Knight. All of his moves can be used for recovery. Worst Non Tether recoveries are Ganondorf and Link. Basically if any of them use their double jump and then they get hit they are screwed. Worst recoveries by far are Olimar and Ivysaur. Tether recoveries suck in general.

cAm8ooo

Smash Lord
Best: Kirby, his hammer moves him, he has a lot of jumps, his final cutter is good.

Worst: Olimar

Night Avenger

Smash Journeyman
Samus doesn't receive damage from his own bombs I believe... Am I right? And what about ROB's recovery?

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Best: Pit

Worst: Olimar
definitely not the best: it has incredible range and versitility but is VERY easily gimped... compare that to ROB's which is about the same in use but is nearly impossible to gimp

Nowaytoeatatater

Smash Ace

TehBo49

Smash Ace
In an alternate universe, where Brawl does not suc
definitely not the best: it has incredible range and versitility but is VERY easily gimped... compare that to ROB's which is about the same in use but is nearly impossible to gimp
I'm talking about distance. Think if I put a character in an infinitely tall room & then in an infinitely long room. The character tries to go as high or as far as they can. Then the distances are averaged. That's how I come to Pit.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
I'm talking about distance. Think if I put a character in an infinitely tall room & then in an infinitely long room. The character tries to go as high or as far as they can. Then the distances are averaged. That's how I come to Pit.
didn't ask for distance though... it asked for "best" recovery... distance is onl part of what makes a recovery "best"

Doctor

Smash Rookie
Incases where a character has other recovery options, tether recoveries are actually a vital asset as they allow you to mix up your recovery, and as a bonus can actually be used to save yourself from horizontal killing moves. In this light I would put both Samus preety high on the recovery list, since she has a great variety of recovery options. Samus has the longest Z-air tether in the game allowing her to recover quickly even at great distances from the ledge. Her up-b has preety good verticle range, and her bombs give her good horizontal distance. On top of this her mid air jump is very good at controlling momentum allowing her to survive a bit longer.

doom dragon 105

Smash Lord
Snake has the best everything including recovery theres no stopping it.

as for the worst i have no clue

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Snake has the best everything including recovery theres no stopping it.

as for the worst i have no clue
lulzy

Snake is probably one of the easiest characters to spike in the game
If you grab him and take no action during his Cpher, he dies
You can even gimp the C4 recovery by getting it stuck to you.

And Metaknight doesn't have the best recovery IMO. Many options =/= best

ROB has only one option and it is amazing.

Olimar has the worst recovery no doubt.

Johnthegalactic

Smash Lord
Correct. Oh! and SAMUS IS A GIRL.
thanks for ruining the suprise for me, the whole time I thought Samus was a super cyborg that is battery powered, and when the FS was used, Samus changed to android form with large fuel sacks on it's body.
darnit, you guys, ruining my suprise...I never would have guessed it either, maybe I would have guessed Samus to be a man, but not a woman.
j/k guys this all un seriousness

anyway, olimar fails at revovery, dead pikmin=dead olimar, plus his tether sucks.

I advocate R.O.B. as the best recovery, especially due to how his up-B works.

Also, I heard ness+lucas have good recoverys, when you ara teh firin lazer at them they recover health, wait uh...nvm.:lick:

PieM4ster

Smash Rookie
Best: Meta Knight, G&W, Pikachu, Wario

3 out of 4 of Pikachus B moves contribute to recovery(Thunder stops you in the air and makes you go up slightly) Wario has the Bike, which is pretty self explanatory.

Worst: Olimar, Ivysaur
Duh

chubb-o-wub

Smash Journeyman
Samus bombs don't damage her.
Yay, someone got it right! But, what about Lucas' recovery? He has the Zap Jump that almost sends him to the top of the screen (not the ceiling of the stage) and the Magnet Pull that sends him zooming towards the stage. AND he has his UpB after that.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
probably didn't grab the ledge which is easily the safest position from which to recover.
lol wut? I'd much rather be able to airdodge onto the stage with it's whole 4 frames of landing lag, instead of being forced to sit on the ledge for half a second before being able to move. All while my opponent position's himself just out of my reach.

Aether is also one of the harder Up-Bs to ledgehog because the sword toss has really good duration and priority (and it spikes). Most of the time Ike doesn't get intercepted for using Aether unless his opponent has really gay projectiles like meybe Snake's Nikita IIRC.
Marth and Ike can counter it. And Marth can even run off the stage, up B right after he up B's (after dropping to sweetspot range of course), and grab the ledge right before he does. I've done it a few times, and it's freakin' hilarious.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
As for the worst recovery in distance: no doubt ivy.olimar/easily dealt with and little distance
Worst horizontal recoveries are Ganon and Link. They have absolutely zero air control, whereas Ivysaur an Olimar (who come close, mind you), have much better air control. The only thing keeping Link and Ganon from dying more often is that they're harder to knock off.

Link also has one of the worst vertical recoveries.

Wayland

Smash Journeyman
I dunno if it's the best, but Kirby's recovery is incredible. The five jumps, upgraded air movment/glide ratio whatever, both hammer and fair increasing his distance, and a much faster, much harder to edgeguard final cutter make Kirby's recovery good.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
who needs an up B!??!

just stick towards the stage then grab the ledge@

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord
Lucas' is the best, zap jump, pk thunder that goes really far and can't be gimped.(or a least not very easily)
Pikachu also a worthy mention, ridicoluos range and you can pick the route you take back to the platform.

Worst- Olimar with no pikman, popo without nana, or ivysuar.

hippochinfat!!

Smash Lord
Olimar's is worse because he might not always have 6 pikmin. I don't know why people are saving Ivysaur has the worst, he's clearly 2nd worst.

Link also has a really awful one.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
What about falco and fox? their recovery isn't very good either.

Wander

Smash Journeyman
MK almost certainly has the most options for recovering, since all four of his specials can be used for vertical and horizontal distance. They are also all damaging, which can deter less skillful edgeguarders. His multiple jumps are obviously a bonus. The only downsides I can see are his low air speed and the fact that his specials all send him into helpless.

Sonic also has a good recovery with his side- and neutral-specials, plus his Spring doesn't add the helpless state.

Samus is extremely difficult to kill; her heaviness guards against low-percentage kills and her floatiness gives her plenty of time to recover horizontally. Bomb-jumping gives her huge horizontal mobility without the need for a midair jump, and her Screw Attack/grapple beam give her several options for vertical recovery.

On the other end, Ivysaur has undeniably the worst recovery in the game. Olimar only needs about 4 of his pikmin to equal the reach of Ivysaur's vine, his midair jump is higher, and IIRC he has a faster horizontal air speed. If Ivysaur is off the ledge without his jump, he is assured to die against a player with any sense of how to edgehog.

EDIT: Also, Luigi. His air speed is awful, but he falls very slowly and has three of his four special moves to give him recovery. Tornado can be used directly after a midair jump for vertical and horizontal distance, the Missile is a obviously a good horizontal pusher, and the Jump Punch is his vertical option.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I think beside Ivysaur, Sheik has the worst recovery.

Top Bottom