• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The best and worst recoveries in brawl?

hizzlum

Smash Journeyman
With 37 characters that can fly and use tethers, certain recoveries seem to stand out as good or bad. First off we have the "infinite recoveries", which grant a limitless horizontal/vertical recovering distance
-True infinite recovery
MK/Glide-MK seems to have the easiest glide to control and has the glide by jumping and also his b-up
Pit /glide- I can't tell if his is better than MK's but it is infinite in distance, B-up also helps a lot too
Charizard /glide-By far worst of the three a gliding but it grants him a limitless distance, his b-up is ok
-- Snake Samus and Link/TL use bombs for an infinite recovery at the cost of their %

As for the worst recovery in distance: no doubt ivy.olimar/easily dealt with and little distance

Tenki

Smash Hero
Sonic!

lulz I'm going to have fun with this.

Sonic:
- Can use Homing attack to gain lots of horizontal distance quickly/follow other peoples' recoveries.
- Can use side-B as a "jump" before using double jump AND spring jump (wait, what's that? 1...2...3 aerial jumps!? This is madness!).
- Can use spinshot (AT) to cover horizontal distances at the speed of a dash.

But who cares? Those 3 other recovery options are unimportant, this is.

Spring jump:
- Has invincibility frames up to about full hop height
- Using an aerial/airdodge as soon as you gain control allows you to extend the distance (on a level height, can go the distance of 3/4 Final Destination)
- Can be used to send you high off-screen (high recoveries) or higher than your opponent can reach you with double/triple jumps (started on stage level).
- Spring jump cannot sweetspot ledges.
- Can use A-attacks and airdodge as he falls.
- - Airdodge has vulnerability frames at the end, if you don't reach the floor while airdodging.
- Can use D-air to go down faster than spacies can fastfall.
- - D-air is telegraphed and 'easy to predict', so says a pro Sonic player. cough. not.
- Can be gimped if the Sonic player gets grabbed and release, like Snake. You know, like if they decide to recover so the apex of the jump is at ground level in front of the ledge and don't airdodge or anything.

All that said,
Sonic's recovery sucks Yeah... those other 3 recovery options don't matter or anything

Falcon's is better. Because he can outprioritize attacks with Falcon Dive's grab (which reaches only in front of/above him, but mainly in the beginning of the attack), and sweetspot ledges (for those ledge invincibility frames), and he can actually make it back onto the stage since he has aerials with long reach.

I have been enlightened. <3
Yes, this whole post was a mockery.

but honestly, Sonic's recovery is up there. One of the best, but he can't stay off stage like floaty characters like Kirby, Pit, MK and ROB can.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Best: Metaknight, Wario, Kirby, Sonic

Worst: Ivysaur, Olimar, Link, Peach

Browny

Smash Hater
everyones recovery is amazing, gliding, teleporting doesnt make a difference majority of characters will make it back every time

characters who cant recover
link
ganon
ivy
olimar (lol)
ike
wolf
bowser
marth
Mario

i say those characters cant recover because certain moves like fox's dsmash has knockback below the stage, no amount of DI will save them, and have no chance at getting back.

D3w3y

Smash Cadet
Pickachu has a very under-rated recovery, his up-B can go very far vertically and horiztontally. Aswell as it being difficult to interupt.

Worst recovery is the Ice climbers after losing Nana, I know it probably doesnt count but its terrible.

SnatchForFree

Smash Cadet
lulz I'm going to have fun with this.

Sonic:
- Can use Homing attack to gain lots of horizontal distance quickly/follow other peoples' recoveries.
- Can use side-B as a "jump" before using double jump AND spring jump (wait, what's that? 1...2...3 aerial jumps!? This is madness!).
- Can use spinshot (AT) to cover horizontal distances at the speed of a dash.

But who cares? Those 3 other recovery options are unimportant, this is.

Spring jump:
- Has invincibility frames up to about full hop height
- Using an aerial/airdodge as soon as you gain control allows you to extend the distance (on a level height, can go the distance of 3/4 Final Destination)
- Can be used to send you high off-screen (high recoveries) or higher than your opponent can reach you with double/triple jumps (started on stage level).
- Spring jump cannot sweetspot ledges.
- Can use A-attacks and airdodge as he falls.
- - Airdodge has vulnerability frames at the end, if you don't reach the floor while airdodging.
- Can use D-air to go down faster than spacies can fastfall.
- - D-air is telegraphed and 'easy to predict', so says a pro Sonic player. cough. not.
- Can be gimped if the Sonic player gets grabbed and release, like Snake. You know, like if they decide to recover so the apex of the jump is at ground level in front of the ledge and don't airdodge or anything.

All that said,
Sonic's recovery sucks Yeah... those other 3 recovery options don't matter or anything

Falcon's is better. Because he can outprioritize attacks with Falcon Dive's grab (which reaches only in front of/above him, but mainly in the beginning of the attack), and sweetspot ledges (for those ledge invincibility frames), and he can actually make it back onto the stage since he has aerials with long reach.

I have been enlightened. <3
Yes, this whole post was a mockery.

but honestly, Sonic's recovery is up there. One of the best, but he can't stay off stage like floaty characters like Kirby, Pit, MK and ROB can.
Tier discussion thread is that way >>>>>>>

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Best recoveries: Metaknight, Pit, Rob, Jigglypuff

Worst recoveries: Ivysaur, Olimar, Ganondorf, Ike

zamz

Smash Journeyman
Worst recovery: Yoshi/ ganondorf/olimar. Best jiggly, pit metaknight, snake
Yoshi...? I hate to say it but he is nowhere near the 'worst.' He's just below average. He has superarmor during his huge second jump. Even some spikes have trouble ruining this move (and good luck spiking Yoshi's hard-to-predict jumping pattern). His egg is also extremely useful. It adds just enough jump to keep him gliding in the air across the stage. There are far worse recoveries (mostly tether) who cannot make it to the ledge to save their life. You will have a harder time gimping Yoshi than a lot of characters...unless you get lucky enough to footstool the poor dinosaur.

And Snake at best recovery? No way. Up-B screams "SPIKE ME!" and his C4 recovery is easily gimpable. He has very limited options. A good player will take advantage of them. He shouldn't be on par with someone like Jigglypuff...who has relatively limitless potential. I don't know about you, but I've seen more Snakes suicide than any other character in the game. His heavy weight + sub-par recovering does not make for a good recovery!

Tenki

Smash Hero
Tier discussion thread is that way >>>>>>>
;D caught the reference lol

But like I subliminally wrote, that puts Sonic's recovery up there.

@.@ He's limited by his jumps, so even if he has all that range, he can't stall too well off-stage unless he's near a ceiling, in which case he stalls... uhh.. TOO well (I get stuck under levels sometimes..?) XD

hizzlum

Smash Journeyman
everyones recovery is amazing, gliding, teleporting doesnt make a difference majority of characters will make it back every time

link
ganon
ivy
olimar (lol)
ike
wolf
bowser
marth
Mario

i say those characters cant recover because certain moves like fox's dsmash has knockback below the stage, no amount of DI will save them, and have no chance at getting back.
A smart link will bomb jump his recovery for an extra boost that can get him back to the stage most of the time, if you're not playing a pivot-edgehogger.
Marth's got the b-side at the end of his midair jump to give him the boost of about his midair jump (its even better when wavebounced too),and his b-up has ok horizontal distance ,his fair moves him foward in the air, the neutral b is somewhat situational but it goes crazy distance.
Also, marth can circle battlefield and smashville beacuse of his numerous recovering options. he is good enough to not be on that list

Tenki

Smash Hero
what about snake?
he can blow himself up with a mine and stay in the air forever
Until around 140-150% where he sends himself flying into the sky

...unless you're PsychoMidget and can send yourself flying into a wall/ceiling and teching countless times just to get back at an obscene % that will get you killed lol

SummerObsession

Smash Apprentice
Meta knight without a doubt is the best. On FD he can glide from the very upper left to under FD then to the very upper right of FD, then after words he can shuttle loop left and fly udner FD again and to the upper left. You just gotta know how his glide works.

And Marth's recovery isn't bad his shield breaker gives him horizontal recovery, stall with F-B and up-B is quick.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Nobody put G&W...Very good recovery. Better than Pit's because it doesn't get gimped.

Metaknight has an infinite recovery, but I'd say R.O.B.s is better on the premise he gets ridiculously insane air time and positioning advantage from his Up-B. Also he has projectiles to harass ledgeguarders.

And whatever if Sonic really has invul frames on like his entire Up-B I guess that's rly good so there his recovery is better than I thought it was I guess, but his lack of good aerial attacks still hurts his ability to make it back by a lot because after he Up-B's he probably didn't grab the ledge which is easily the safest position from which to recover. Also he can't really do anything about characters who can jump out to ledgeguard while he's spin dashing to gain that critical distance because again his attack priority sucks so he has no good counterattack options.

And anyway my original point was that he doesn't survive as long as Falcon anyway since Falcon is heavier and has sufficient recovery anyway. Falcon gains like a ton of distance recovering and intercepting his Up-B in terms of priority competition is risky.

SwastikaPyle

Smash Ace
Luigi and Wario have the most insane recoveries for their character (barring the obvious Rob and MK).

The worst, to me, is Zelda's. Why? I main her and I hate her go**** teleport. It's ridiculously hard to aim and has terrible lag when you land, not to mention the long cast time. Your screwed unless you land precisely on the edge, which is difficult due to the nature of the distance and timing it requires.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
The worst, to me, is Zelda's. Why? I main her and I hate her go**** teleport. It's ridiculously hard to aim and has terrible lag when you land, not to mention the long cast time. Your screwed unless you land precisely on the edge, which is difficult due to the nature of the distance and timing it requires.
Zelda has bad recovery but it has distance and a level of unpredictability so it isn't the worst non-tether. The worst non-tether is Ganondorf.

Mr Mattastic

Smash Journeyman
I'd say Olimar is worse than Ivysaur, Vine whip is a constant length and if some does edgehog, a right timed razor leaf can knock him off, Olimar doesn't quite have this option.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Olimar DIs better and actually has reasonable aerial attacks so doesn't risk as much trying to hit people off of the ledge. Also the hop he gets from his Up-B is bigger than Ivysaur's by a bit if I recall, especially if he has fewer Pikmin. Doesn't really matter though since 99% of the time neither will survive an opponent who ledgehogs.

waks

Smash Journeyman
Ivysaur has razor leaf though. If used properly, it might be reliable to hit people edgehogging.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
I'd say Olimar is worse than Ivysaur, Vine whip is a constant length and if some does edgehog, a right timed razor leaf can knock him off, Olimar doesn't quite have this option.
Olimar can use his pikmin toss or an aerial for the same purpose. Not that this helps him get back, but as a last resort his up b stage spikes if the edge hogger isn't careful, and he aims it right.

Olimar DIs better and actually has reasonable aerial attacks so doesn't risk as much trying to hit people off of the ledge. Also the hop he gets from his Up-B is bigger than Ivysaur's by a bit if I recall, especially if he has fewer Pikmin. Doesn't really matter though since 99% of the time neither will survive an opponent who ledgehogs.
DI depends on the player, not the character. Both have good aerials.

Ivysaur's recovery is worse on average, but Olimar's is worse if he has no pikmin. In any case, both recoveries really suck compared to anyone else in the cast.

isomorphism

Smash Cadet
Obviously it's not the worst, but DK deserves a mention for his bad recovery. It has huge horizontal distance but very little vertical,, so if he gets too far below the stage after using his second jump he's completely screwed.

KratosAurion192

Smash Ace
A smart link will bomb jump his recovery for an extra boost that can get him back to the stage most of the time, if you're not playing a pivot-edgehogger.
Marth's got the b-side at the end of his midair jump to give him the boost of about his midair jump (its even better when wavebounced too),and his b-up has ok horizontal distance ,his fair moves him foward in the air, the neutral b is somewhat situational but it goes crazy distance.
Also, marth can circle battlefield and smashville beacuse of his numerous recovering options. he is good enough to not be on that list
Link's Bomb jump doesn't make up for it....

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Meta Knight apparently has good recovery since he can midair jump 5 times and glide. His third jump helps a lot too.

Olimar has the worst recovery since he needs his Pikmin to recover, and if he can't grab any ledges, it's over.

Metal

Smash Cadet
Cinci, OH (And my social security # is...)
I say Olimar is worse. Ivysaur's fair is a good follow-up for Razor Leaf. Olimar's only hope to knock someone off the ledge with Pikmin Toss is the Purple one. Plus, Ivysuar is better at curving his tether. He can grab from offscreen in Poke Stadium. He can also go around the bottom corner if he DIs too far past the stage.

MaxThunder

PM Support

link
ganon
ivy
olimar (lol)
ike
wolf
bowser
marth
Mario

you cant say they cant recover! moves like fox's dsmash may have a knockback thast difficult to recover from but that will probably just happen if you use it right. and the majority of times you get blasted out of the stage, it probably wont be because of those attack. then you will be in another situation and have different chances of recovery. so you should not say "they cant recover". instead say "they have bad recovery in certain situations.

WhoseReality?

Smash Apprentice
Let me say something for Olimar. Yes, his recovery is very very poo poo. But, I rarely lose lives to edgehogging. Most times I die are because I was blown off the screen completely in circumstances that no character would be able to get back from. Otherwise, there are a number of strategies involving timing and attacks to help get around edge hoggers. I could tell you what they are, but I won't. You'll just have to wait until you play a good Olimar to see them.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
this is pretty much wat i think it is
Ike's recovery is not good, but it is a lot better than the worst recovery in Brawl. Ike can actually make it back consistently as long as he DIs right, and doesn't predictably use QD to aim for the ledge.

Aether is also one of the harder Up-Bs to ledgehog because the sword toss has really good duration and priority (and it spikes). Most of the time Ike doesn't get intercepted for using Aether unless his opponent has really gay projectiles like meybe Snake's Nikita IIRC.

PK Hexagon

Smash Apprentice
Falco certainly seems like he has a poor recovery sometimes. I'm tired of suiciding myself with the firebird.

blazingIKE33

Smash Cadet
i think the worst recovery belongs to DK and the best recovery goes to pit, MK , rob , and Jigglypuff

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
Worst? Erm, this is a pretty much given. The tethers have a hard time recovering. Oh, and Link.
The best goes to MK, ROB, and G&W.

Snake isnt up there. He's not the best because he has an "infinite" recovery (which is rather harmful to his health). He's also not the worst just because he can be grabbed during the cypher.

RedfishX

Smash Cadet
i think the worst recovery belongs to DK and the best recovery goes to pit, MK , rob , and Jigglypuff
Sure, puff has an okay recovery. But not best. Floatiness allows for plenty of defensive (which turns into offensive quickly) options.

Sonic's is up there, but not "best" (from first page)

I can also say from experience that ledgehogging against Link is god, especially with TL (or even another Link for that matter.)

The worst I will have to say is Ivysaur/Olimar. Olimar needs max or almost max, and then he beats out Ivysaur. Otherwise, Olimar is the worst.

Top Bottom