• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Battle for Western New York 4! Rochester, NY - June 9th and 10th (Date change!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shiri

Smash Chump
It's that time again, kids! The Battle for Western New York 4 has arrived!

I normally wouldn't do this, but Goodies2Good, the MAN himself, has requested a date change for this event. Update your calendars and get your lazy @$$es out here, WNY! We're still celebrating Kelvin's birthday, though, so no skimping on the cake!

Arena 51
376 Jefferson Road
Rochester, New York 14623

Schedule:

Saturday, June 9th

10:00 A.M. - 11:00 A.M. ...... Set-up and free play
11:00 A.M. - 12:00 P.M. ...... Team Tournament
12:00 P.M. - 01:00 P.M. ...... Lunch break and free play
01:00 P.M. - 06:00 P.M. ...... Team Tournament (cont’d)
06:00 P.M. - 08:00 P.M. ...... Low Tier Tournament
08:00 P.M. - 01:00 A.M. ...... Free play

Sunday, June 10th

10:00 A.M. - 11:00 A.M. ...... Set-up and free play
11:00 A.M. - 12:00 P.M. ...... Singles Tournament
12:00 P.M. - 01:00 P.M. ...... Lunch break and free play
01:00 P.M. - 06:00 P.M. ...... Singles Tournament (cont’d)
07:00 P.M. - 11:00 P.M. ...... Free play

Entry Fees:

Singles - $15 per person
Teams - $30 per team / $15 per teammate

Prizes:

First Place - 60%
Second Place - 30%
Third Place - 10%

Prizes apply to both singles and teams brackets.

There is a guaranteed $250 minimum pot for both singles and teams.
The more people come, the bigger the pot will grow!

Rules:

Singles

Format:

- Players will immediately enter standard elimination brackets.
- Separate seeding can be requested if it is so desired.

Elimination:

- Double elimination.

Match Rules:

- All matches are best-of-three. Winner's Finals and Loser's Finals are best-of-five.
- Players meeting twice in tournament play will expand their previous set to a best-of-eleven continuation.
- The Grand Finals set will be a best-of-five set. Grand Finals will not be a continuation set. The Loser's Finals winner will have to win two best-of-five sets, while the Winner's Finals winner will only have to win one.
- All matches are four stock with an eight minute time limit.
- Sudden Death will not be played. Ties are broken by percentage. Should percentages be equal, the match will be done over again (same stage, same characters, four stock, eight minutes).
- Items will, of course, be OFF.

Stage Selection:

- After characters are chosen for the first match, both players can knock out one stage for the duration of the set. Random select stages cannot be knocked out. Stages knocked out do not carry over to continuation sets.
- Unless all players can agree on a stage, the first stage of a regular set will be randomly selected. If the set is a best-of-eleven continuation, the loser of the first set may pick the first stage at the beginning of the continuation set.
- After each match, the loser of the match can counterpick with a legal stage or elect to go random before characters are chosen.
- Stages cannot be played twice unless the current set is a best-of-eleven continuation. The only stages that can be played twice during continuation sets are random stages. This rule is in place to prevent elongated sets from "running out" of neutral picks. You may not slob back and forth between two stages. Stages may be replayed once in a continuation set scenario.
- All players have one reset per set. Resets may only be used on randomly selected stages during the first five seconds of play. The stage cannot be played again when randomly selected, but is still available for counterpicking.

Character Selection:

- A double blind pick may be called at at the beginning of any set. Tournament staff will judge the selection.
- After each match, the loser may pick the next stage (or go random). After this decision is made, the winner of the previous match may change characters. Afterwards, the loser of the previous match may change characters.
- Characters may not be changed after a reset is called. Once characters are chosen, the decision is in effect until the end of the match.

Teams

Format: All teams will enter standard elimination brackets.

Elimination: Double elimination.

Special Team Rules:
- Team Attack is ON.
- Life stealing is allowed.

All other rules that apply to singles apply to teams as well.

Stage Listing

Singles

The following stages are available for random select for singles:

- Final Destination
- Battlefield
- Kirby's Dreamland 64
- Yoshi's Story
- Fountain of Dreams
- Pokémon Stadium

The following stages are available for counterpick for singles:

- All random stages
- Rainbow Cruise
- Jungle Japes
- Kongo Jungle
- Kongo Jungle 64
- Poké Floats
- Corneria
- Brinstar
- Mute City
- Green Greens

The following stages are banned from singles:

- Mushroom Kingdom
- Mushroom Kingdom II
- Flatzone
- Icicle Mountain
- Princess Peach's Castle
- Great Bay
- Venom
- Hyrule Temple
- Yoshi's Island
- Yoshi's Story 64
- Onett
- Fourside
- Big Blue
- Brinstar Depths

Teams

The following stages are available for random select for teams:

- Final Destination
- Battlefield
- Kirby's Dreamland 64
- Yoshi's Story
- Kongo Jungle 64
- Pokémon Stadium

The following stages are available for counterpick for teams:

- All random stages
- Rainbow Cruise
- Jungle Japes
- Kongo Jungle
- Mushroom Kingdom II
- Poké Floats
- Corneria
- Brinstar
- Great Bay
- Fourside
- Green Greens

The following stages are banned from teams:

- Mushroom Kingdom
- Fountain of Dreams
- Flatzone
- Icicle Mountain
- Princess Peach's Castle
- Mute City
- Venom
- Hyrule Temple
- Yoshi's Island
- Yoshi's Story 64
- Onett
- Big Blue
- Brinstar Depths

Crews

We may be having crew battles depending on how much time we have for side events. Please refer to the standard Kish-style crew battle system for rules. The one change is that, for simplicity, there will be NO character / player switching. Each player stays in with his or her original character until they are defeated (if they are defeated at all). All stages will be chosen at Random using the Singles Random stage list.

Other Rules:

As you can guess, modded controllers are not allowed. Third-party controllers are allowed, but you cannot use their programmable functions. Disqualification will follow if discovered.

Of course, you cannot use glitches or stalling to either disable your opponent or indefinately suspend match play. Doing so can lead to match forfeiture or tournament disqualification.

In an effort to prevent bracket manipulation and to preserve the spirit of the tournament, the following rule is in effect. Matches or entire sets may not, under any circumstances, be voluntarily forfeit by any player for any reason. Match or set forfeiture occurs upon the discovery of a broken rule. Absence from a match or set or voluntary forfeiture will result in total disqualification. Make sure you have a way of being contacted if you happen to be absent from your set when the time to play comes. You can also notify tournament staff if you will be running late beforehand or at any time during the tournament.

Coaching is allowed between matches, but no mid-match instruction may occur. Talking, sneering, and giggling from coaches is allowed, but coaches can be silenced at the request of any player currently engaged in a set.

Trash talking IS ENCOURAGED. No fighting, no rough stuff, no overly abusive language or yelling...you know the deal. Be nice, and try to be good about when you lose because (almost) everyone is guaranteed to lose at least once, so just be good about it.

Please bring your own controller. Please.

Other Notes:

The ruleset is not open to change.

As usual, TVs, GameCubes, copies of the game, and fully prepared memory cards will be a great help. Please bring any of these items if you can. If you do, please be sure to mark them in some way, shape, or form so that they can be identified as your own.

Since this is a two-day event, you all are responsible for finding some housing if you plan in staying in Rochester overnight. Most of you will probably go back home after the first day and come back, but some of you might wish to stay overnight. Your choice. Just make sure you find somewhere to stay.

This event is now on the SmashBoards calendar, so check it out and sign up if you know you're coming.

Finally, have lots of fun meeting and battling new players! Western New York is still striving for excellence in Smash; come out and show your stuff in order to be recognized and get in on the action!

Hotel information has been posted. Please look here for complete information. Any questions? PM me without hesitation. ^_^

N64

Smash Champion
won't be there! I'll be back home in kansas over the summer.
I'm sure it'll be great though. You kids have fun.
Try not to make fun of neil too much.

S P I K E

Smash Ace
I want to actually get to one of these. =\

I think I'll request off of work now, need to check my basbeall game schedule.

gamefreak2006

Smash Cadet
won't be there! I'll be back home in kansas over the summer.
I'm sure it'll be great though. You kids have fun.
Try not to make fun of neil too much.
Darn, that is unfortunate. I really wanted to play you again, but going home is always fun. And making fun of neil can't be helped, he practically begs us to do it.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Andy, I know for a fact that we will be having an event in May.

So check the Arena boards every now and then to see what's up. I'll let you know whenever I get the information. The bi-weeklies are amazing fun.

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
For once when I say I might be attending tournament I actually mean it and I actually will intend to try my ****dest to get there.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: No need, sir. I'll be taking personal responsibility for videos this time around. ^_^

Nintendude

Smash Hero
Well, I can't make it to this one but as soon as school starts next year I think I can come to all of the BFWNY tournaments as long as everyone from schools carpools and goes.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Nintendude, once you get the chance, you need to come to these.

They're waaaaaay too fun.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
Wow Nintendude you are like 15 min away from TW you know that?? You should totally come practice there sometimes.
TW? Is that where you hold those tournaments in Nanuet? Do people just go there randomly to practice? Well, I guess I can come as soon as I get my license, which will most likely be like the end of May. I'll also start going to a lot more tournaments in the area when I get it.

Shiri, does the Cornell Smash club go to all of the BFWNY tournaments? That's the group I will be coming with next year. So, I'm probably only going to them if the club goes.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: I don't think the entire club comes, but a few of the notables do make the voyage out here.

You should check around and see who usually comes and try to catch a ride with them! ^_^

Nintendude

Smash Hero
Yeah, that's what I meant. Since the school is so huge there's bound to be a lot of newbs in the club who just like FFA SSB, which is always a blast. I'm pretty confident I'll be one of the better players there so hopefully whoever leads the club will see that and find a way to get me to BFWNY.

PJCaesar

Smash Cadet
Hm. I may be able to make it to this one. I guess I should try to play this game some more then so I at least remember how to play before the tourney. :)

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Shiri, Marth ditto for 1000$ I won't lose any more Marth dittos to you...I promise!! My marth has gotten even better too...I can wavedash now! Your dead meat.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: ROFL let's do it, sir! However, I will only accept the ditto if we raise the stakes to $1001.45.

N.OW

Smash Journeyman
Yay, i will definetly be there. I plan on winning. You guys better start practicing against ness :p. Unless you play sheik then ill just play game and watch, ez win.

Oh, and i hope umbreonmow comes so i can beat his ness :)

Bailey

Smash Hero
Yay, i will definetly be there. I plan on winning. You guys better start practicing against ness :p. Unless you play sheik then ill just play game and watch, ez win.

Oh, and i hope umbreonmow comes so i can beat his ness :)
I said I was coming why would you say you will win. I mean false hope is funny though.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: I think he wants to play you badly, PikaPika!.

I want to play lots of people, too. I need lots of people who aren't coming to Pound to make their way to this so WNY can see some new faces. ^_^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom