• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Battle for Power! (Matchmaking & Video Thread)

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
My Schedule is weird as well. Let's just give eachother a heads up whenever we see an opportunity.
Okay, on my end, I am not available Saturday from 8AM to 2PM PST.

Sunday I am not yet certain, but I could possibly be available all day. If you happen to be available around 9AM PST and I'm still at home, it's a non-guaranteed possibility. Otherwise catching me after 2PM PST tends to be pretty reliable, and if I know beforehand I don't have a problem with playing a game during super late evening/very early morning hours.

Kyogokudo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
yoshiboo62
3DS FC
0301-9917-1099
GG's @ Kyogokudo Kyogokudo . I won't lie, I stole some tech today lol
Yeah great games. It was always a close call. I think we play a bit similarly, except that you're slightly better at racking up damage (those flame choke reads man) when I might be slightly better at ending a stock.

jmanup85

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jmanup85
3DS FC
1633-4569-8126
Yeah great games. It was always a close call. I think we play a bit similarly, except that you're slightly better at racking up damage (those flame choke reads man) when I might be slightly better at ending a stock.
Yeah you ended me pretty early a few times. I just need to work on my ledge recovery so I dont get exploited like you kept doing to me. You had some good flame choke reads too when you stomped me lol

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
Good games @ adom4 adom4 and A2. Sorry I had to leave early, some other guy is bugging me.

Our connection needs work haha.

Last edited:

adom4

Smash Lord
NNID
adom15510
3DS FC
3179-6434-6692
Good games @ adom4 adom4 and A2.

Our connection needs work haha.
GGs man, i'm currently fighting with our ISP to upgrade our internet without some bull**** bundle so i hope i'll get it done soon.
Honestly i had a much easier time against you with Shulk than in dittos, i really feel like i've gotten worse in Dorf dittos.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
So much activity! I'm down for some matches with anyone.

@ Kyogokudo Kyogokudo : Sorry about last night, Kyo. The very minute I said I could play, my friend called me asking for a ride.

Last edited:

Kyogokudo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
yoshiboo62
3DS FC
0301-9917-1099
Are you still here @ Scraptor Scraptor ? Sorry to ask but I don't have much time to wait right now. Also Verm just being curious, since you have a NNID, does that mean you can also play on the WII U?

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
Are you still here @ Scraptor Scraptor ? Sorry to ask but I don't have much time to wait right now. Also Verm just being curious, since you have a NNID, does that mean you can also play on the WII U?
Nah, unfortunately. :( I have my NNID established, but no WiiU yet. If Scraptor doesn't show, you and I can play.

Kyogokudo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
yoshiboo62
3DS FC
0301-9917-1099
Nah, unfortunately. :( I have my NNID established, but no WiiU yet. If Scraptor doesn't show, you and I can play.
Aww too bad. And well, let's plat then. Sorry Scraptor but it'll be for later (if you could come a bit sooner next time that'll be cool)

Blobface

Smash Lord
NNID
everyone1 (Bob)
3DS FC
3454-0482-6740
gah, it is up now.
Good Games A2! We went almost completely even, so there's not much I can say for advice, but if you're playing Mario/Dr. Mario, be careful about using aerial approaches against custom Ganon. I really wasn't abusing Dark Fists against those as much as I should have, but Dark Fists shuts down aerial approaches hard. With that out of the way, your edgeguarding is top-notch with all the characters (how many do you play anyway? I knew about Mario, but Ike, and Falco too?) you play!

It's very possible that Dark Fists gives us a 50:50 matchup against Diddy. Diddy's favorite counterpicks (Delfino, Halberd, Town and City) become deadly mistakes. U-air may kill 10-20% earlier, but Ganon just laughs that off as he kills Diddy below 40% grounded with Dark Fists.

Last edited:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Good Games A2! We went almost completely even, so there's not much I can say for advice, but if you're playing Mario/Dr. Mario, be careful about using aerial approaches against custom Ganon. I really wasn't abusing Dark Fists against those as much as I should have, but Dark Fists shuts down aerial approaches hard. With that out of the way, your edgeguarding is top-notch with all the characters (how many do you play anyway? I knew about Mario, but Ike, and Falco too?) you play!

It's very possible that Dark Fists gives us a 50:50 matchup against Diddy. Diddy's favorite counterpicks (Delfino, Halberd, Town and City) become deadly mistakes. U-air may kill 10-20% earlier, but Ganon just laughs that off as he kills Diddy below 40% grounded with Dark Fists.
Yeah, you really have your Dark Fists tech down, though I would still be careful with Dark Fists in juggle situations given it doesn't reach below Ganon that well.

Anyhow at the moment the characters I'm putting skill in are Ganon, Doc, Mario, Ike, Falco, Link, G&W, and Little Mac (in order of overall confidence). My goal is to be able to eventually play the entire cast at a basic level, as a way of improving my overall matchup knowledge. As Ganon, knowing your enemy is everything.

I think in general it's easy to get trigger happy with Wizkick/WDK especially in the Ganon ditto, and I know I deliberately was trying to bait it in some moments so I could punish it. Especially in the Ganon ditto, the real skill in that matchup comes down to spacing aerials accurately.

I think overall you play on platform stages slightly better than I do (I need practice on BF and most counterpick stages). I think however I got to show off my edgeguard skills pretty satisfactorily. I definitely take pride in being able to figure out how to edgeguard people even when they try to mix up their recovery. I just think for me, the spacing to cover options offstage is very intuitive and I'm good at picturing in my head where I need to be at what time in order to reach different recovery options.

To make things simple, there are about four basic ways to recover effectively (this can vary depending on matchup, obviously).
1. Go for the ledge ASAP
2. Recover high
3. Hug the stage while recovering (this is generally the safest option when it's available)
4. Waiting with airdodge and midair jump before sweetspotting the ledge

The way I edgeguard is I first try to either react to or read which way my opponent is recovering. From there, I have in my mind instructions as to how I can reliably cover those options. Most people can easily figure out how to intercept someone who goes for the ledge immediately. Sometimes however if your reactions and spacing are good, you can simultaneously cover high recoveries in addition to that (in the ditto, N-air tends to be very safe for covering Flame Choke and standard quick low recoveries simultaneously), or you can bait the high recovery by feinting going offstage. If they try to wait with airdodge/midair jump, the counter to this is often simply just waiting yourself, which as Ganon, gives you all the time in the world to space D-air.

If they hug the stage, you can either try to stage spike them with B-air/U-air or try your best to get low a bit preemptively to intercept them with your midair jump + U-air. Generally speaking though, it's very difficult to gimp someone for hugging the stage if they tech consistently.

Last edited:

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
I can only play on the 3ds, but I'm willing to play around the evenings after 10 PST. For those who like 3ds.

adom4

Smash Lord
NNID
adom15510
3DS FC
3179-6434-6692
Wii U anyone?
Host up, i''ll probably try more Shulk than usual though.
EDIT: GGs man, sorry about the lag i think someone was downloading here.

Last edited:

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
GGs, it's a bit too laggy for me atm because I keep missing techs and buffering attacks out of hit stun. Let's try again a bit later if we can.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
@ A2ZOMG A2ZOMG I see you on, care to join my room for those dittos?
This is where I complain that the Wii-U needs a better Invite feature.

Also, I really wanted to try Metroid Fusion, given I got it free from Club Nintendo. It's a very fun game so far.

Last edited:

Kyogokudo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
yoshiboo62
3DS FC
0301-9917-1099
I'm up for around 2 hours. And yes, I should stop asking for games so much.

Top Bottom