• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Basic Brawl Friend Finder [It's like a diary of replays!]

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
That Luigi's reads were on point though, was very impressed.
For a second there I thought you meant me, but i never saw a terribad kirby or pika. I did get several insane reads on this noob Luigi with my Luigi... but I guess thats not that hard to do.

I saw GYK for a couple games in BB last night, nice seeing that Link tech again. :)

Also, GGs to a Red Ike/Marth player last night. Pretty fun games. My fail falcon lmao. You had amazing control with your character, and you even did things I didnt even know was possible... and thats saying a lot. That Ike reminded me of GYKs, but I know that wasnt him because this guy went MK for a game that was a different color and had a different playstyle. Those players kept getting in the way lmao, that AFK snake lol. I could tell wifi messed you up a few times, as it did myself... thats why i kept SDing.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
GGs purple Luigi. Those matches were a good way to start off (possibly) the last day of Brawl.

Anybody see a half-decent white Pit? Mighta been me. I've been playing for so long I've forgotten the rest of the good players. :crazy: Not stopping now!

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
To all the taunt parties/hackers over the past 6 years you guys sucked. Everyone else, GG's. Except for the people who taunted a bunch when I died (unless it was earned). Other than that GG's to all the free for alls, items on, 1v1's, and team battles. You were fun.

TriforceOfWisdom

Smash Master
NNID
HeroOfHyrule1
3DS FC
2922-0198-5811
GG's to all the taunt parties, FFA's, etc, over the past few years. I enjoyed my time on Basic Brawl.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
GGs Black GW and co, it was nice to have real matches in the end of Wi Fi.

Uh, when's it going to end? I'm kinda just waiting for the moon to drop now.

Twili

The Queen
Premium
NNID
dearlyxbeloved
3DS FC
3368-2389-1288
Switch FC
3149 6967 1296
Guess I'll join this farewell fest and say my own goodbyes. Basic was a recent discovery for me, online play only being available in my house summer of last year, so I don't have a lot to go off of. But for all it's worth, through the noobs and the hackers, the parties and the crashes, it was fun. After tonight (or tomorrow?) it won't be the same anymore, but we'll just make way for change. GGs to all I encountered, even the less-than-sporting, since it all came together to make up one experience.
Goodbye Basic Brawl; even if some may not, I will miss you.

//End mushspeech.

Maintenance...

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Well, the wifi will probably end any minute, in a few hours, or possibly late tomorrow...

GGs to everyone on Basic Brawl that I had ever encountered, whether I teamed with you, or fought against you.

Nintendo's online modes were one heck of a ride for while they lasted, regardless of the lag.

Rest in piece, Basic Brawl, Team Battle, and With Friends, along with all other online games for the Wii and DS.

May the Wii U and 3DS's online services live on for a long time in your memory.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I really miss this mode. It was the only reason I bought the game. I had no idea they were going to shut it off BEFORE Smash 4 came out. Now I have to find some other game to play for the next several months. I just hope I don't lose interest in smash... I do expect to get rusty. Level 9's just aren't a good opponent to practice against because they don't adapt or change or improve. Meh. Bad choice is bad, Nintendo.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I really miss this mode. It was the only reason I bought the game. I had no idea they were going to shut it off BEFORE Smash 4 came out. Now I have to find some other game to play for the next several months. I just hope I don't lose interest in smash... I do expect to get rusty. Level 9's just aren't a good opponent to practice against because they don't adapt or change or improve. Meh. Bad choice is bad, Nintendo.
More like Gamespy made a bad choice in going out of business...

Still, you're probably better off not playing Brawl for a while to unlearn the changed stuff. Every single character will be different.

...Blehg, suddenly my past year of learning Pit's techs feels wasted...

Kimidori

Smash Apprentice
Just so you guys know, Basic Brawl will live on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqFtklrXY9M
You can enter basic brawl but to my knowledge it doesn't find other players. The custom server is mainly for wi-fi matches with known people.

Are you implying basic brawl players adapt/change/improve?

Level 9's > most basic brawl players

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team

Maybe in your experience but in mine I rarely encountered players who weren't better than level 9s. Most times they were at least good enough to be considered competitive if not tournament material. And every now and then, maybe once a week they were actually way above the curve.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
ok, so all you have to do is the hack and it works, so maybe we should just start a FC list of SWF members who enjoyed the With Anyone mode and make matches that way? I realize it's a lot of FC entering, but once it's done it's done and then we can group the participants by time slots (ergo x players who play normally between 4am and 12 noon, y players between noon and 8pm, and z between 8pm and 4am kinda thing).

then once logged in you can identify yourself as a host lobby by putting an L or something in your FC profile, and others can join you. We could also specify things like (1v1) (TB) etc etc.

Last edited:

N.T.A.O ChangeOfHeart 死の剣

不自然な不道徳な中空デミ神〜
You can enter basic brawl but to my knowledge it doesn't find other players. The custom server is mainly for wi-fi matches with known people.

Are you this Claus Lucas, Blue, White, or Neutral Peach that can do a bunch of flashy stuff, and Black Gold Ics that can actually Chain grab, and a good White MK. I always thought it was you man.

Maybe a White Link will refresh your memory?

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
ok so I patched my copy of Brawl, new FC 4902-2628-0467 but now I suppose I have to wait and see if I can find anyone in BB, lol. how disappointing this whole thing has turned out to be. If only Nintendo had just waited until the new game was out to cancel this service, it'd have saved me a lot of heartache and headache.

Meanwhile, my copy is NTSC and I've been reading in places that this doesn't even work unless you're running the PAL version, is this still the case??

Edit: I have gotten PAL working. We'll see if this works better.

Dear Nintendo:

I am writing this in the hopes that Nintendo will understand just how poorly the decision to discontinue NWC has affected me. The purchase of the Wii was based on the desire to play games online, specifically Super Smash Brothers Brawl. I was elated when I discovered that I could finally play a game belonging to my favorite genre with people all around the world without the hassle of using a third party website to orchestrate matches. Five years ago I made the purchase not knowing that the very functionality I had sought would be discontinued and for no other reason than (to quote your own representative at Customer Service) "because we are focusing on the NEW systems, being that Wii is now considered a legacy system."

A legacy system. Do you realize what this means? It means that there is no longer ANY expectation for consumers to trust Nintendo to support its consoles beyond the generation it is currently in. I should point out that I still own original Nintendo (NES), SNES, N64, and Gamecube games THAT STILL WORK. Fully. But now, my Wii is essentially worthless, because the game I owned for it required NWC in order to provide me with a fulfilling game experience.

I understand the WiiU is out now. It should be mentioned that the new Super Smash Brothers is not even available for the WiiU until the end of this year, barring any unforeseen delays in release. And even still I was not entirely confident I would be purchasing the new iteration -at launch-. Essentially Nintendo is now forcing me to purchase the new console and game by this cancellation. And to what end? Was it really so difficult to continue the NWC service in tandem with the new WiiU service? According to Customer Service "There would be no point in purchasing a WiiU at this time if you intend to play your old Wii games online, because they still use the NWC service which is discontinued [indefinitely]." Really? No point in buying one? Your words, not mine.

I have to live this, that is not Nintendo's problem. But it absolutely paints Nintendo in a dishonorable light, and it absolutely forces me to question the legitimacy of Nintendo's claim to quality. Why should I continue to invest money in Nintendo when I could just as well invest those same dollars in Sony or Microsoft? At least their games continue to work in all aspects for years after they are released (you can still play Xbox live material dating back to 2002).

I must also point out that in order to "work around" this decision I must "hack" my Wii which is technically a violation of Nintendo's terms of use. I am not alone in this endeavor. There are literally tens of thousands of Wii owners who are right now hacking their Wiis and patching their games so they can continue to play them, all because of this snap decision to force the Wii generation into the WiiU (and before the new game(s) are even out!).

I don't expect anything to be done about this, the decision has been made. But you must understand that this will likely result in a loss of support from at least myself as a consumer, who has until now faithfully supported Nintendo in its efforts to provide quality gaming experiences.

Edit: Ha, so Nintendo sent me an automated reply: "We are currently experiencing heavy email volumes which are causing long response times." No **** sherlock. I love it. So many people got mad that their inbox got filled with complaints. It took me almost a week just to get the automated response! Idiots! I hope they reap all they've sowed cause I'm switching to Sony come this fall. PS4 all the way!

Last edited:

Kimidori

Smash Apprentice
Are you this Claus Lucas, Blue, White, or Neutral Peach that can do a bunch of flashy stuff, and Black Gold Ics that can actually Chain grab, and a good White MK. I always thought it was you man.

Maybe a White Link will refresh your memory?
No

Periwinkle

Smash Apprentice
Makes me wonder just how many people are going to be on BB now. On a percentage scale of everyone who used WFC, I'm curious as to how many even know about the existence of Wiimmfi, let alone that NTSC BB works.

Last edited:

Metalbro

ILikePirates
NNID
SwiftJaws
Switch FC
SW-4480-4128-0819
I was on yesterday with a Blue Goggle Pikachu and a Blue Zelda. I kept getting disconnected from them but each time I tried to find people I found them. I was usually using red characters. Mostly Red Ike. We were just screwing around with techs and stuff.

Periwinkle

Smash Apprentice
Just got done having some friendlies with a red Wolf/Wario/Zelda. Whenever there were bots, we teamed up against them. I was the neutral Snake and C. Falcon/brown Ganondorf. GGs! You were fun to play with.

So far, I've only played one match with more than just one other player. Hopefully as the word spreads that Wiimmfi now supports NTSC matchmaking, we'll get more players back on.

Twili

The Queen
Premium
NNID
dearlyxbeloved
3DS FC
3368-2389-1288
Switch FC
3149 6967 1296
Triple Pika team was fun tonight. Started as Dark Zelda and found a Red and Blue Pikachu duo hanging out starting on Temple; switched to Neutral Pika, did some things and teamed some CPUs (sometimes badly), QAC spammed, taunt spammed, up until a DC. I was the Zelda/Pika, y'all were fun.

Skybunny

Smash Cadet
NNID
Skybunny
I was on yesterday with a Blue Goggle Pikachu and a Blue Zelda. I kept getting disconnected from them but each time I tried to find people I found them. I was usually using red characters. Mostly Red Ike. We were just screwing around with techs and stuff.
Pretty sure that was me, I remember the red Ike and the blue Zelda a few days ago. :3

Triple Pika team was fun tonight. Started as Dark Zelda and found a Red and Blue Pikachu duo hanging out starting on Temple; switched to Neutral Pika, did some things and teamed some CPUs (sometimes badly), QAC spammed, taunt spammed, up until a DC. I was the Zelda/Pika, y'all were fun.
Hey, I was the blue Pikachu! Had a lot of fun. ^^ I think the red Pikachu was @ Zatchiel Zatchiel but I could be wrong. >w>

Twili

The Queen
Premium
NNID
dearlyxbeloved
3DS FC
3368-2389-1288
Switch FC
3149 6967 1296
Hey, I was the blue Pikachu! Had a lot of fun. ^^ I think the red Pikachu was @ Zatchiel Zatchiel but I could be wrong. >w>
Oh, awesome! That one match with the zero-death on Falco.. I wish I'd saved that. It was fun just messing around with you guys, I love Pika groups. :D

Metalbro

ILikePirates
NNID
SwiftJaws
Switch FC
SW-4480-4128-0819
Pretty sure that was me, I remember the red Ike and the blue Zelda a few days ago. :3

It all makes sense now. You live super close to me too. I should have known. haha

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504

I can always tell when it's you. Y'all were nuts. <3

Top Bottom