• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The Barracks - Robin Q&A Thread [ASK GAMEPLAY QUESTIONS HERE]

Janno

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Janno123
well you cant really rely on hitten one of her smashes, because they are so slow. You have to make a solid read with them -> not a good kill option
i dont feel like fair can kill someone without having huge rage and the enemy at high percentages. thoron doenst kill neither (im talking about good kills, not at 170%)
and yea elwind spike and nair gimps are not a kill option. just a tool one could use once in a while

Coolpool2

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1048-8836-5328
Always remember to mix up your moves, one thing you could try is purposely using up all of a tome to throw it at them. Depending on the opponent's skill level and awareness it might not work on a lot of people though because they would be able to shield in time.

The_Cardinal

We have become a spectacle to the world.
NNID
CardinalGP
well you cant really rely on hitten one of her smashes, because they are so slow. You have to make a solid read with them -> not a good kill option
i dont feel like fair can kill someone without having huge rage and the enemy at high percentages. thoron doenst kill neither (im talking about good kills, not at 170%)
and yea elwind spike and nair gimps are not a kill option. just a tool one could use once in a while
Which is why I said to be patient and pick the right move for the right situation. If you go hard with uair and bair to ko than your opponent's naturally gonna scout it out, making the ko even more difficult. You play the second slowest runner in the game; you have to be more patient and reactive than the opponent and be spot on with your punishes. And if that means being safe until you see a safe way to ko your opponent at 170% with a bthrow near the edge or whatever than so be it. If you're really thirsty for an earlier ko, than you have to go offstage with nair or elwind, both of which I feel you're underestimating. Ultimately, as @ Coolpool2 Coolpool2 said, mix it up.

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Okay, so I know when Robin uses up a tome or sword, she discards it at the next available moment, but what happens if Robin gets interrupted during his/her final use?

For example, if you grab grabbed during your 8th use of the levin sword, what happens?

Teshie U

Smash Lord
I don't play Robin much, but that was my theory.

Once you break a book or your sword, couldn't you just keep buffering and become impossible to grab? I feel like I must be missing something here that makes this not viable, but the game does let you delay the discard for a long long time. My theory was that you might be impossible to grab safely if you simply kept buffering. The next time you got hit or grabbed, the item would drop and projectile you.

Has anyone tried what I'm talking about?

Janno

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Janno123
Well i die not tried it
But im pretty sure you cant just buffer Everything and keep that book forever.
It will drop no matter what after the final use

Teshie U

Smash Lord
You definitely can. I was just curious if someone knew just how far you could take such a strategy.

Janno

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Janno123
Well now I'm curious. I'll have to try it out later today.
To make sure I got you right. You are saying you can delay your dropping of the tomes or the sword by simply buffering another move?

MarthFanatique

Smash Journeyman
Well now I'm curious. I'll have to try it out later today.
To make sure I got you right. You are saying you can delay your dropping of the tomes or the sword by simply buffering another move?
I'm not sure about this. I'll have to take a look into this as well later.

Janno

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Janno123
So I tried it like half an hour in trainings mode with all books and all possible move to buffer (shield, jump, dodge, attack) I even tried it on the ground, in the air, in the water and getting on the ledge with elwind and buffering a get up.
Like I thought, it's definitely NOT possible to keep your books after they expired. Maybe I understood something wrong or you just got something wrong that you saw/tried out

well fk me it is possible with certain moves. But you cannot walk, dash, crawl or jump. So its not that usefull. You can like nosferatu und and then arcfire in the other direction and bait your opponent with 1 book catch the other and instand toss them for like 30 damage but thats all.

And if you Upb with 2 Books or more that should dissappear once you are in free fall, there will only be one book lol

Last edited:

Coolpool2

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1048-8836-5328
I need to test this but does taunting delay it? Still, unless you just KO'd someone it'd be pointless to delay it by taunting.

tenshinoakuma

Smash Rookie
NNID
ninjaoctopii
3DS FC
3781-0389-6662
Hi all, new-ish Robin player her!

Quick question. Does Thoron share the same stale move pool as the other thunder variants? I.e. If I hit someone with arc thunder does that stale my thoron?

The_Cardinal

NNID
CardinalGP
Hi all, new-ish Robin player her!

Quick question. Does Thoron share the same stale move pool as the other thunder variants? I.e. If I hit someone with arc thunder does that stale my thoron?
Welcome! In regards to your question the answer is yes: all variations of thunder share the same stale move pool, which of course unfortunately means that its actually harder to ko with thoron than what one may expect.

tenshinoakuma

Smash Rookie
NNID
ninjaoctopii
3DS FC
3781-0389-6662
Welcome! In regards to your question the answer is yes: all variations of thunder share the same stale move pool, which of course unfortunately means that its actually harder to ko with thoron than what one may expect.
That is a bummer ): Explains why sometimes Thoron hadn't KOed even at a ridiculously high %. Thanks for answering!

Alisa180

Smash Rookie
Hi, I'm a new Robin player, and I wanted to ask something. Is Robin a good character for someone who can't pull off consistent FSmashes to save her life? (DSmashes I can, or at least I know I'm far more likely to DSmash then FSmash). I'm asking because I was just reading the move thread and it said Robin's FSmashes were subpar, and they should rely on DSmashes instead. The reliance on easy to pull off specials is also an attractive draw.

My reflexes have traditionally *sucked* despite my best efforts (see: Stupid FSmash) so playing a slower, more 'tactical' character like Robin is actually very appealing. Even more appealing then 'better', speedier character 'cause again poor reflexes. Although the fact they're one of the FE:A representatives also plays no small role in the appeal. :p

Janno

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Janno123
Well FSmash has more range and is a little bit faster

But I dont really get your problem? Like you can't fsmash or what lmao
Just press c Stick or A + Control Stick. Robins Fsmash ist decent. Not like Lucarios oder Diddys, but still okay to use now and then

AlienWarhead

Smash Cadet
I have a problem with rush down characters, lots of time I get hit before I can hit them and arcfire only helps sometimes. Also I get hit a lot when I'm falling and about to hit the ground air dodgeing and fast falling don't seem to help a lot.

The_Cardinal

NNID
CardinalGP
Hi, I'm a new Robin player, and I wanted to ask something. Is Robin a good character for someone who can't pull off consistent FSmashes to save her life? (DSmashes I can, or at least I know I'm far more likely to DSmash then FSmash). I'm asking because I was just reading the move thread and it said Robin's FSmashes were subpar, and they should rely on DSmashes instead. The reliance on easy to pull off specials is also an attractive draw.

My reflexes have traditionally *sucked* despite my best efforts (see: Stupid FSmash) so playing a slower, more 'tactical' character like Robin is actually very appealing. Even more appealing then 'better', speedier character 'cause again poor reflexes. Although the fact they're one of the FE:A representatives also plays no small role in the appeal. :p
DSmash is better than Fsmash but Robin is less about her ground smashes and more about her "aerial" smashes, aka her aerial levin sword attacks in midair. And while she requires less "reflex/dexterity" than let's say Sheik, her arcfire combos and being able to grab a discarded tome are pivotal. So while Robin is slow, there will still be times when you need to be quick with your finger. Practicing how to land a levin fair or levin uair after a successful arcfire, how to grab a discarded tome, and, if necessary, consistently pulling out the levin sword in midair are all important when starting off as Robin. And if you need tips, feel free to ask again.

I have a problem with rush down characters, lots of time I get hit before I can hit them and arcfire only helps sometimes. Also I get hit a lot when I'm falling and about to hit the ground air dodgeing and fast falling don't seem to help a lot.

2 things I would like to say.

1) How comfortable are you with the bronze sword? Jab, ftilt, and dtilt can all be helpful in alleviating pressure. Retreating levin fairs and bairs may also help depending on both your opponent and what character they use.

2) Don't hit the ground air dodging. It's super laggy in this game and will get you killed. Just be patient and look for opportunities to jump, attack, or airdodge your opponent's attacks. B-reversing and immediately air dodging when you're in midair is also incredibly helpful once you're consistent with the technique.

Alisa180

Smash Rookie
Well FSmash has more range and is a little bit faster

But I dont really get your problem? Like you can't fsmash or what lmao
Just press c Stick or A + Control Stick. Robins Fsmash ist decent. Not like Lucarios oder Diddys, but still okay to use now and then
I play the 3DS and no, I can't FSmash. Didn't I make that clear? Something about the timing...My fingers just can't seem to hit the A button in combination with the control stick in just the right way, and I end with a dash or a forward attack far more often then I do an FSmash. I'm lucky if I pull it 30% of the time when I want it, and I can never seem to perfectly replicate the times where I do manage to produce one. It cost me a fair number of matches when I tried to main Lucina, and general frusturation led me to take a break from Smash for a while. Robin's unique playstyle, and more importantly his lack of reliance on Smash attacks in comparison to 'beatdown' characters, is drawing me back into the game.

I've spend *hours* trying to fix the problem, to little avail. In a far less amount of time, I can already pull off short hop Uairs in Training Mode far more often then I can FSmashes (In Training Mode, like, one out of five attempts or more attempts comes out as an actual FSmash? And it's even worse in an actual match).

DSmash is better than Fsmash but Robin is less about her ground smashes and more about her "aerial" smashes, aka her aerial levin sword attacks in midair. And while she requires less "reflex/dexterity" than let's say Sheik, her arcfire combos and being able to grab a discarded tome are pivotal. So while Robin is slow, there will still be times when you need to be quick with your finger. Practicing how to land a levin fair or levin uair after a successful arcfire, how to grab a discarded tome, and, if necessary, consistently pulling out the levin sword in midair are all important when starting off as Robin. And if you need tips, feel free to ask again.e.
I was practicing uairs, fairs, and even tomb grabbing earlier. Especially Uairs as it's clear short hops into Uairs is a critical technique. And I practiced tomb grabbing while considering Robin as a secondary to decent success, before the Smash Attack troubles forced me to take a break. They shouldn't be a problem with enough time and practice. My thing with Smash attack is a problem with coordination, as highlighted above. I just can't seem to use the CS and the A button in just the right way for Smashes (DSmash and USmash are *far* better then FSmash, but still not 100%), and it usually ends in my opponents taking advantage of the fail. So long as I'm not reliant on the Smashes, learning the other techniques shouldn't be a problem (and the thing with beatdown characters like Lucina and Marth is that they *do* tend to be reliant on Smashes, with predictable results for me when I try to play them).

Thanks for the advice! I'll keep it all in mind!

Last edited:

AlienWarhead

Smash Cadet
DSmash is better than Fsmash but Robin is less about her ground smashes and more about her "aerial" smashes, aka her aerial levin sword attacks in midair. And while she requires less "reflex/dexterity" than let's say Sheik, her arcfire combos and being able to grab a discarded tome are pivotal. So while Robin is slow, there will still be times when you need to be quick with your finger. Practicing how to land a levin fair or levin uair after a successful arcfire, how to grab a discarded tome, and, if necessary, consistently pulling out the levin sword in midair are all important when starting off as Robin. And if you need tips, feel free to ask again.

2 things I would like to say.

1) How comfortable are you with the bronze sword? Jab, ftilt, and dtilt can all be helpful in alleviating pressure. Retreating levin fairs and bairs may also help depending on both your opponent and what character they use.

2) Don't hit the ground air dodging. It's super laggy in this game and will get you killed. Just be patient and look for opportunities to jump, attack, or airdodge your opponent's attacks. B-reversing and immediately air dodging when you're in midair is also incredibly helpful once you're consistent with the technique.
1) Sometimes that works, but lots of times I get hit before I can hit them.

2) I know about landing lag, but I don't how to dodge someone who is about to dash attack me while I'm falling. How do you B-reversal with Robin and how is it helpful. Also how do I look for opportunities to jump, attack, or airdodge my opponent's attacks, I'm sorry, but this is vague advise, anyway thanks for replying.

The_Cardinal

NNID
CardinalGP
1) Sometimes that works, but lots of times I get hit before I can hit them.

2) I know about landing lag, but I don't how to dodge someone who is about to dash attack me while I'm falling. How do you B-reversal with Robin and how is it helpful. Also how do I look for opportunities to jump, attack, or airdodge my opponent's attacks, I'm sorry, but this is vague advise, anyway thanks for replying.
B-reversing is when, while moving in one direction in midair, you press B (in this case for thunder) and then hit the control stick in the opposite direction immediately which will drastically move you in the opposite direction. So for example, if you're moving right in the air, b-reversing will move you left. It's a neat movement trick and can help you escape certain juggle/pressure situation, especially since you can immediately cancel the thunder charge with an airdodge. The Robin tutorial on the front page actually discusses this. Make sure to take a look at it for more information.

Unless you share a video or something, I can't tell you how to look for the opportunities I mention because 1) I don't know what character your opponent uses, 2) the stage you're playing on, 3) why you're in the air, 4) I don't know your opponent and your opponent's habits, etc. Admittedly it is vague advice but it has to be because you have to pick different options for different situations and mix it up, as oppose to doing the same thing or two repeatedly which I get the impression from reading your post. Try jumping away, or attacking the opponent, b-reversing, landing on a platform, or even try doing nothing and just react, etc. It is also possible that some of your opponents are getting away with dash attack as you're falling because your'e not 1) challenging them or 2) or mixing up your landing and they know you're going to air dodge to the ground. Just mix it up is what I'm saying.

AlienWarhead

Smash Cadet
I can only share videos with the 3DS share option and which tutorial are you talking about can you please link it

AlienWarhead

Smash Cadet

Animekey

Smash Cadet
NNID
Animekey
3DS FC
2277-7760-6665
That video kinda inspired me to hop onto back to Robin again, I didn't really know much until that video. I also didn't know B-Reversing is a good way to mix-up your charges, with Nosfeartu(?) grabs as they expect FAir. I've also spiked more than I expected with Elwind. Fun.

Anyone think of any baiting options with the throwable tomes, people seems to go defensive when they see a book in hand.
Arcfire into Book as they release? Or maybe Arcthunder to a probable shield break.

Janno

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Janno123
just use the item do your advantage. You have a strong, fast oos option. They have to respect it. Throw it on the ground, catch it. Throw it on shield catch it. Just pressure them
if they shield your tome and you get a grab you did a good job

The_Cardinal

NNID
CardinalGP
Thew the same tome 3 times at a Ganondorf player last night in For Glory. It was glorious.

tenshinoakuma

Smash Rookie
NNID
ninjaoctopii
3DS FC
3781-0389-6662
Another newbie question!

Does Robin have any attacks that hit the ledge from the stage? I ran into someone regrabbing the ledge and dsmash seemed to miss. arcfire worked if I timed it right but is there anything other than that?

Also for stale moves, do multihit attacks count as one entry in the stale moves queue, or does each hit count? I.e. Would five hits of arc fire count as one thing in the stale moves queue or do they count as five?

Animekey

Smash Cadet
NNID
Animekey
3DS FC
2277-7760-6665
You can approach the ledge hangers by using arcfire at the very end of the stage, and now they have to quickly get back on with two options. Either they jump up, or roll back on. Try predicting your opponents.

I'm not quite sure on stale moves, I would think it would be just button inputs for stales moves.

Janno

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Janno123
Dsmash hits if the opponents on the ledge without invincibilty on most of the chars.

Every char has a unique ledge hang(?) position. Some are already half way over the edge, others are only holding on with one hand. So you can hit some chars with something like fsmash or dash attack and others just with arcfire
if you did not unterstand what i just said, watch this videos, as it explains everything i just did in a better way lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vVug_cxA6A

Last edited:

tenshinoakuma

Smash Rookie
NNID
ninjaoctopii
3DS FC
3781-0389-6662
Awesome, thanks for the answers, all!

I didn't actually cotton on to how different ledge hangs affect hitboxes so that was very educational :)

AlienWarhead

Smash Cadet
I don't how to short hop or how to use it with Robin, also I still don't feel like I'm good with Robin after all this time getting advise, playing with Robin players, watching videos, and reading guides, I'm in a stump.

MarthFanatique

Smash Journeyman
I don't how to short hop or how to use it with Robin, also I still don't feel like I'm good with Robin after all this time getting advise, playing with Robin players, watching videos, and reading guides, I'm in a stump.
Just remember that you can't be good with every character in the game--we all play uniquely, so your playstyle may not compliment Robin as a character. For instance, I will NEVER be good with Little Mac, Sheik, or Greninja; they're just completely not ME as a player. Just remember that even if you don't think that you are "good" per se, it's about having fun.

Last edited:

AlienWarhead

Smash Cadet
Just remember that you can't be good with every character in the game--we all play uniquely, so your playstyle may not compliment Robin as a character. For instance, I will NEVER be good with Little Mac, Sheik, or Greninja; they're just completely not ME as a player. Just remember that even if you don't think that you are "good" per se, it's about having fun.
I do best with Robin, I don't think wasting time trying to be better with a different main will make me better. I'm sure which character I have the most fun with, probably Little Mac, but I suck with him and that's not fun.

TimeMuffinPhD

PhD in time travel and muffins.
NNID
TimeMuffinPhD
So a few times during a game I used the electric projectile, charged until it glows orange (can't remember the names of anything right now) and linked it into a footstool. I've done the same with Arcfire several times. Has anyone messed around with this enough to find some cool followups? All I can think of is D-air after footstool into tech chase Arcfire. Not quite sure about the specifics.

Janno

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Janno123
If your opponent is low you can lock him with a z dropped item. There is not mich more to do. Non of Robins moves lock so you there is not much sense forcing your opponent on the ground other then arcfire or Nosferatu techchases

Alright so this is super important to me because it's super interesting. What is known about "Slow Motion Thoron"? Was it even known at all?

I was testing frame stuff right now and got to Thoron's generation time. Pretty weird stuff; if you get interrupted on F20 (I used the spiking hit of Ness's DAir) you'll only cast an imperfect Thoron. It looks all thin and deals 2.5% damage. By F21 perfect (complete) Thoron seems to be cast. The thing is, I test these sorts of things by going into training and setting it to 1/4 speed when holding L, to ensure that I input both actions on the same frame. I normally have the character whose attack I'm using as a meter attack from behind the character being tested.

In this case, I had Ganondorf use his F21 FSmash on Robin from behind on the same frame I pressed B to cast Thoron. What looked like the normal beam appeared, but instead of it going offscreen and the tail of it dissipating (you know what I mean, right?), the beam simply disappeared, with the tail fully intact and still connected to Robin's hand when it disappeared. In addition to this, the tail actually began behind Robin, hitting Ganondorf. It hits Ness about a character space and a half behind Robin, and it can hit Kirby if he's not crouching or in his sneezing idle animation. So far I have only seen the back hit at 2/3, 1/4, and 1/4 (Hold L) speeds, in addition to Slow special Smash (despite it apparently being 1/2 normal speed? 1/2 speed in training doesn't trigger this), Slow special Smash with Robin under the effects of a Timer, Fast special Smash (same deal as Slow Smash and training speed, what's up with that?), and Fast special Smash with Robin under the effects of a Timer. Robin under the effects of a Timer under normal Smash speed doesn't trigger it, despite the same graphical glitch of a persistent beam occurring.

So yeah, what's the deal with all of this? Does anybody know?

Also another tidbit I found out right now that may or may not already be known as well is that the duration of Thoron's beam seems to actually be constant. That is, it will last only a set amount of time, rather than sticking around longer when time is slowed down or passing by quicker when time is sped up. This means that Thoron will actually hit more often when time is faster than normal, as long as you don't channel it. The beam is out the same amount of time as it would be at x1 speed, but the hitbox regeneration is still operating under the x1.5 speed environment, so you get more hitboxes for the same duration. Likewise, Thoron hits fewer times when at lower speeds, since the hitboxes don't get to regenerate as often for the duration of the beam.

Like, at x1 speed, unchanneled Thoron hits 4 times for 2.5% damage, totaling 10%. At x1.5 speed, it literally hits 1.5 times more often; 6 times for 15%. At 2/3 speed, it hits 3 times for 7.5%, and at 1/4 speed it hits. There are issues with this though; at 1/2 speed, instead of only hitting twice like I would have expected, it hits 6 times, like it does at 1.5 speed. At 1/4, it hits twice.

Yeah Thoron's pretty interesting

Last edited:

AlienWarhead

Smash Cadet
I been trying short hopping aerials, but I don't seem to hitting anyone maybe I'm doing it wrong, I need some advise. I also tried jumping Nos, but that never hits.

Top Bottom