• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The Barracks - Robin Q&A Thread [ASK GAMEPLAY QUESTIONS HERE]

Chapter Serf

Ace Skell Pilot
Premium
NNID
ChapterSerf
3DS FC
3969-7074-2956
Hey guys, I've been having a lot of trouble consistently pulling this move off. More often then not, I end up rolling into Wind Jab. What exactly do I need to actually do this instead of the drunken clown Wind Jab juggling.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
See above post.

You should only be using that jab anyway, Wind Jab is hard to keep connected and it's counter bait.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Hey guys, I've been having a lot of trouble consistently pulling this move off. More often then not, I end up rolling into Wind Jab. What exactly do I need to actually do this instead of the drunken clown Wind Jab juggling.
Merged thread with Q&A thread.

Shrewstur

Smash Rookie
1. What's the best way to remove (and possibly even kill) Pikmin attached to Robin?
2. What are Robin's best approaches to an enemy who has a better projectile game?
3. What is the most reliable way for Robin to punish rollers, besides D-smash?

Please go easy on me if any of thee questions are elementary.

MarthFanatique

Smash Journeyman
1. What's the best way to remove (and possibly even kill) Pikmin attached to Robin?
2. What are Robin's best approaches to an enemy who has a better projectile game?
3. What is the most reliable way for Robin to punish rollers, besides D-smash?

Please go easy on me if any of thee questions are elementary.
1.) I find nair to be most effective. Fair and uair can be effective as well. Just beware of using your levin sword when a yellow pikmin is on you since they are immune to electric attacks.
2.) You'll find your own strategy, and it really varies per player and especially per character match up. But if the character doesn't have a projectile that pierces through Arcfire (e.g. spacy lasers), then you can throw out Arcfires to try to distract and wall out projectiles (this is effective against some Link's). You then can just approach in the air. Nair when you get close. But again, this varies per matchup.
3.) D-smash, as mentioned, is the BEST method of punishing rollers. Sometimes I nosferatu as a big middle finger to them. Arcthunder/Thoron can be effective. Dash attack is rather effective, as well.

HenryXLII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HenryXLII
3DS FC
3153-3904-2933
So close yet so far! I cannot figure out how to get this thing constantly at all! I think the hit box is at the VERY front of the wind blade but feels inconsistent. Any one got any advice on this one?

Zareidriel

zuh-RAY-dree-ole
NNID
Zareidriei
Yeah the hitbox for the spike is a little tricky. Basically you're aiming for Robin's hand when she points it downward and casts Elwind. Imagine a tiny rectangle, reaching slightly above and below the hand, and seemingly about half the width of Elwind itself. The vertical requirement is more difficult than the horizontal one. Honestly if you just start practicing with it, the positioning will become second nature.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Any ideas, again?
Why do you even want a heavy character? I don't feel heavies really complement Robin at all, because they lose to the same stuff Robin loses to: rushdown, or heavier zoning.

If you were going to pick one, probably Bowser I guess? Charizard? Wario if you consider him a heavy? Most of the heavies in this game aren't the greatest.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Why do you even want a heavy character? I don't feel heavies really complement Robin at all, because they lose to the same stuff Robin loses to: rushdown, or heavier zoning.

If you were going to pick one, probably Bowser I guess? Charizard? Wario if you consider him a heavy? Most of the heavies in this game aren't the greatest.
Well then, who are the overall compliments to Robin other than heavy?

Last edited:

FieryRebirth

Smash Ace
NNID
Rara-Avis
Switch FC
7032-4095-8921
I found Elwind spiking more convenient as a last ditch maneuver against a potentially vulnerable opponent, especially when both of you are trying to get back to the stage.

SoBMudkip

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ROBIN_HYPE
I have gotten the spike though without being right on the person. It was a complete accident but it still has happened.
I just think to get the most consistent results, try to be right on top of the other player. I'm sure the actual hitbox extends past Robin's feet.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
So close yet so far! I cannot figure out how to get this thing constantly at all! I think the hit box is at the VERY front of the wind blade but feels inconsistent. Any one got any advice on this one?
Merged your thread into the Q&A thread.

Also this:

Pentao

Smash Apprentice
I always wanted to play Robin well, but I could never really get down what to do in the neutral when using Robin.

With other characters, I always have a game plan, some sort of knowledge of what I can do for a general outline of approaching, defending, etc (With Metaknight, I know dash grab and dash attack are a solid ground option among others, with Shulk I can find myself wanting to land with n-airs or go into a Monado art at different stages, with Lucario I charge spheres and go for up throws, etc.) but when I play Robin (and Palutena, but that's for another thread), I don't really know what I should be doing.

The item usage system doesn't confuse me, but I've never really played a character like Robin before in Smash. I can't rush in against my opponent due to poor ground speed, and though I can charge Thoron, it's not a projectile I'm used to using like Aura Sphere or Samus' Charge Shot. Arc Fire is neat, but I don't know how to space it, if I should be approaching with it, or just using it to cover areas and camp.

I've seen opposing Robins jump at me to hit my shield with back-airs so I can't shield grab them, I know up-air is a strong option to cover opponents above you and around you... I know I have tools when using Robin. But I can't figure out what to really... do. Ultimately, I end up flailing about trying to just play Robin like I play anyone else, only occasionally going "Oh, he's above me, I should go for up airs!" "I'm getting attacked pretty often, maybe I should use Arc Fire to make some space?"

What's the general mindset of using Robin in a match?

Maybe I just need to watch more Robin videos...

Last edited:

HenryXLII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HenryXLII
3DS FC
3153-3904-2933
What's the general mindset of using Robin in a match?
Robin is a campy character who can fight up close and personal. My mindset tends to be control my opponent with my own moves. If I throw an arch fire, I know they have to jump or roll to get around it, so I can set up with a punish. I also tend to mess around with my dropped tomes and levin sword to catch my opponents off guard. Basically you need to prepare a strategy for every situation. Sometimes its best to just zone, sometimes you have to go in and apply pressure. Robin has a lot of tools that are all pretty different, mixing them up can really confuse an opponent, but getting used to all of them takes a lot of time and practice.

MarthFanatique

Smash Journeyman
Well then, who are the overall compliments to Robin other than heavy?
Honest answer? Pick a top tier. Probably someone fast.
Raziek's response is honestly a pretty good one; any character compliments with seconding a top tier character. I honestly would say Pit or Peach or G&W, though. Pit was my secondary in Brawl, so I figured I would dump some hours on him this iteration of Smash. And now that I'm understanding his spacing, new fair (I could not for the life of me find practical uses for it for a couple hours), and how awesome his side B is, I find him a great compliment to Robin.

Robin is more of a character centralized in medium range zoning. He definitely has an okay kit with close combat, but regaining neutral is difficult with him. Also, he has some difficulties with characters who can outzone him. I feel like Pit has better approach options, MUCH better close combat options, attacks that have significantly less start-up, and a side B with super armor and KO potential that is delicious against punishing rollers or predictable, spammy opponents. He certainly isn't a flawless character (I'm still trying to figure out which matchups he severely struggles with), but I view him as a yin-yang with Robin. Both characters you will be dancing in and out of your opponent, creating an ebb and flow of close quarters and backing off to zone. Robin is just more zone, and Pit is just more close quarters. These are just my impressions.

Also, I suppose it's worth noting that Nairo ALSO uses Robin/DP/Zamus.

timetotipthescales

Smash Cadet
NNID
bloodofgrima
Hey, guys.

In your opinions, is it better to just walk with Robin instead of run? I mean, her Dash attack is pitiful and cringeworthy, and it's not like she's running all that much faster.

The_Cardinal

We have become a spectacle to the world.
NNID
CardinalGP
Hey, guys.

In your opinions, is it better to just walk with Robin instead of run? I mean, her Dash attack is pitiful and cringeworthy, and it's not like she's running all that much faster.
You probably should do both. If you have to get a bit closer to the opponent and you're not full screen, walking presumably is better since all options become available on the table. But there will be times when you want to chase the opponent , such as when you land a strong hit and send them offstage, and you need that extra bit of speed to help.

HenryXLII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HenryXLII
3DS FC
3153-3904-2933
Hey, guys.

I never actually thought about this, but it does make sense. I would only use it for approaching. While walking keeps you're smashes available; dash attack is a solid punish that can kill at higher percent so be sure to remember that. And running is better for retreats since you can perfect pivot a side smash, side tilt, or arch fire to keep your opponents away.

Janno

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Janno123
So wtf is the deal with me and Robin. There is no other Char in the game where my skill changes so much. One day i make the Best traps of my life, baiting oponnents into my tomes, lag cancel all my ****, get my follow ups after arcfire/thunder and stuff and just feel like Robin is definitly high Tier and viable and able to win a tournament...

Then there are days where i feel like Robin sucks ass. I just get super stomped vs Chars like zss, shiek or diddy. I cant even catch my own books or i mess up the easiest fair combos after arcfire and stuff.

Obv your daily performance cant be perfect every day and you choke sometimes especially if the surroundings are Bad, but i never Fell such a huge difference while playing other Chars like ddk od zss myselfe or back in Brawl

MarthFanatique

Smash Journeyman
So wtf is the deal with me and Robin. There is no other Char in the game where my skill changes so much. One day i make the Best traps of my life, baiting oponnents into my tomes, lag cancel all my ****, get my follow ups after arcfire/thunder and stuff and just feel like Robin is definitly high Tier and viable and able to win a tournament...

Then there are days where i feel like Robin sucks ***. I just get super stomped vs Chars like zss, shiek or diddy. I cant even catch my own books or i mess up the easiest fair combos after arcfire and stuff.

Obv your daily performance cant be perfect every day and you choke sometimes especially if the surroundings are Bad, but i never Fell such a huge difference while playing other Chars like ddk od zss myselfe or back in Brawl
I feel this way as well. Robin is a fickle devil. haha But in all seriousness, he's a VERY tricky, difficult character to use. And sometimes I almost feel as he "works" or he doesn't. Lately, he was demoted to my secondary (to Pit, I'm so sorry!!!), and as a result I feel as if I can't squeeze out my delightful strings anymore, and I get overwhelmed in matchups that I didn't used to.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Out of curiosity, what's an ideal controller set up for Robin?

Malechite

Smash Rookie
Hey everyone. Started playing Sm4sh about a month ago, and I want to ask a few Robin questions based on my experience:

When is a good time to use arcfire (especially on FD and omega stages)?

What should I do vs people who roll behind you a lot/roll a lot in general? Whenever I try to downsmash, my opponents almost always successfully (power)shield it, and then I eat a punish...

I often have opponents (most Marios) who are just jumping around my shield (I have a bad habit of shielding a lot/staying in my shield), and I get pretty scared and don't know what to do...

What should I do if a character is in my face a lot? How do I get away, and what should I do once I get away? (probably very mu specific, but hey, I'll accept whatever input that's given.

And not really a gameplay question, but just something that's made me very curious about most Robin players - why do most choose female Robin? Not a big deal to me (though I prefer male Robin both in Sm4sh and in Awakening), but I'm genuinely curious about why the female one is more popular???

The_Cardinal

NNID
CardinalGP
Hey everyone. Started playing Sm4sh about a month ago, and I want to ask a few Robin questions based on my experience:

1. When is a good time to use arcfire (especially on FD and omega stages)?

2. What should I do vs people who roll behind you a lot/roll a lot in general? Whenever I try to downsmash, my opponents almost always successfully (power)shield it, and then I eat a punish...

3. I often have opponents (most Marios) who are just jumping around my shield (I have a bad habit of shielding a lot/staying in my shield), and I get pretty scared and don't know what to do...

4. What should I do if a character is in my face a lot? How do I get away, and what should I do once I get away? (probably very mu specific, but hey, I'll accept whatever input that's given.

5. And not really a gameplay question, but just something that's made me very curious about most Robin players - why do most choose female Robin? Not a big deal to me (though I prefer male Robin both in Sm4sh and in Awakening), but I'm genuinely curious about why the female one is more popular???
Hello and welcome to the boards! I numbered your questions in the quote to make it easier for me to respond to you.

1. Arcfire's pretty versatile and it will depend on the stage you play. Use it to pressure, zone, edge guard, combo off of, and in rare cases even approach. In general though, just don't chuck it too close to the enemy since the blindspot is in front of Robin and don't use it too far, especially when against a heavy projectile user like Samus.

2. Downsmash isn't quick enough to punish rolls on reaction. Either use jab/ftilt or just be patient. Reading a roll, however, is different from reacting to it and naturally you have more options to punish based on a correct read.

3. If people are jumping around your shield try either 1) shield-grabbing an aerial or 2) use utilt or jab as an antiair (jabbing is also a decent punish after a shield drop)

4) To be blunt it's not easy and that is Robin's major weakness. In those close quarter combat issue either just be patient and wait for an opportunity to punish/escape or try to send them back with jabs, ftilt, dtilt, and grab. Ideally you should be able to do both just depending on the situation.

5) For various reasons. Some like the voice better compared to the male's. Some like the sass. Some like the pigtails and think she's cute. Some just want more female representation. She also actually correctly says Robin's signature line ("Time to tip the scales! vs male Robin's "Let's tip the scales!") Etc.

Last edited:

SuperDavio

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SuperDavio
3DS FC
1633-4266-1971
5) For various reasons. Some like the voice better compared to the male's. Some like the sass. Some like the pigtails and think she's cute. Some just want more female representation. She also actually correctly says Robin's signature line correctly ("Time to tip the scales! vs male Robin's "Let's tip the scales!") Etc.
I literally started her because of the quote, but now I can't go back. Even if it is Jin Kisaragi on the flip side (doesn't sound too similar to that voice, though. Now Senketsu, on the other hand; THAT'S similar).

The_Cardinal

NNID
CardinalGP
Out of curiosity, what's an ideal controller set up for Robin?
Don't know if this is really ideal but my personal control scheme is L = Jump, tap jump off, c-stick = smash. I prefer to jump with X so I turn tap jump off so I don't accidentally double jump when going for levin uair and I set c-stick to smash for easier pivot fsmash and retreating aerials.

Chapter Serf

Ace Skell Pilot
Premium
NNID
ChapterSerf
3DS FC
3969-7074-2956
OK, how I deal with Pits/DPits who ***** Forward B? The Charge Chariot thing? I play my brother a lot and he just spams that move like it's going out of style.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
OK, how I deal with Pits/DPits who ***** Forward B? The Charge Chariot thing? I play my brother a lot and he just spams that move like it's going out of style.
Upperdash / Electroshock Arm?

Shield it. It's the Pits' most easily punished move, and if your opponent insists on spamming it, the opportunity for a KO is just staring you right in the eyes.

To be blunt, if you're getting hit by it, it's probably because you're too close to the opponent. Space better. The Arm is designed for punishment and launching: spamming it is a terrible, inconceivably silly idea. Stay back and shield-grab or spot-dodge, then return the favour in whatever way you see fit. Honestly, if you have trouble with that, good luck fighting an experienced Pit(too).

Coolpool2

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1048-8836-5328
Well you could just sheild/spotdodge. I'm pretty sure you can't throw an arc fire into Pit's path though as the attack reflects projectiles, I think. The move has a lot of lag with it so if you are expecting it, it should not be too hard to punish.

Last edited:

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Well you could just sheild/spotdodge. I'm pretty sure you can't throw an arc fire into Pit's path though as the attack reflects projectiles, I think. The move has a lot of lag with it so if you are expecting it, it should not be too hard to punish.
Throwing an Arcfire / Thunder isn't a bad idea, to be honest, as the Arm will automatically stop if it deflects a projectile. It will still carry forward briefly, but if Robin is standing even a few steps away, it will cancel Pit(too)'s move and spurn any potential damage from it.

Coolpool2

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1048-8836-5328
Well Arcfire gets reflected back upwards anyways so the only real loss is using one of your tome charges.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Well Arcfire gets reflected back upwards anyways so the only real loss is using one of your tome charges.
The Arms reflect all projectiles at an angle, since they launch them upwards when struck. Really, it's a win-win situation for Robin, since I think using one charge of their tome is a small price to pay for not getting hit or potentially KO'd.

The Pits' down-b reflects projectiles back at the opposite vector, though the startup and endlag means careful management is necessary for optimal results. The best time to use it is when Robin isn't expecting it, such as when the Pits are falling or after a standard move, but it's still pretty negligible in the grand scheme of things. I seldom use it or see other Pits using it. Not too much for Robin to worry about either way.

EDIT: Just did some testing. I should clarify that I was incorrect in my initial statement: the Arms do not necessarily launch projectiles at an angle, they may launch in the opposite vector too. I'm not too sure what the point of distinction between the two is, if anybody would like to confirm this, please feel free. Oh, and the Arms will blitz through Thoron if they connect, negating Thoron's damage output while the Arm is still in effect. Hope that helps.

Last edited:

MarthFanatique

Smash Journeyman
Upperdash / Electroshock Arm?

Shield it. It's the Pits' most easily punished move, and if your opponent insists on spamming it, the opportunity for a KO is just staring you right in the eyes.

To be blunt, if you're getting hit by it, it's probably because you're too close to the opponent. Space better. The Arm is designed for punishment and launching: spamming it is a terrible, inconceivably silly idea. Stay back and shield-grab or spot-dodge, then return the favour in whatever way you see fit. Honestly, if you have trouble with that, good luck fighting an experienced Pit(too).
Basically just rehashing what everyone else is saying, but coming from a Pit/Robin main I can attest that all you need to do is just shield. The best option afterwards is Dsmash. Depending on how the Pit will space the >B attack, he may end up in front or behind you; just cover your bases and Dsmash (the sparks on the ground will protect you and nail Pit from behind).

Janno

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Janno123
So I just recently plyed a little wifi tournament, where costumes were allowed. I really enjoyed using thoron+ to kill.
But now after playing friendlies without costumes I kinda struggled landing a good kill move. Especially vs Kirby (damn you cant hit that mofo)
How do you deal with a Situations, where you just cant land that one uair or bair

The_Cardinal

NNID
CardinalGP
So I just recently plyed a little wifi tournament, where costumes were allowed. I really enjoyed using thoron+ to kill.
But now after playing friendlies without costumes I kinda struggled landing a good kill move. Especially vs Kirby (damn you cant hit that mofo)
How do you deal with a Situations, where you just cant land that one uair or bair
You have other kill moves: dsmash, fsmash, usmash, levin fair, bthrow, thoron, elwind spike, nair gimps (though that probably wouldn't work on kirby), and even fire jab if its fresh. Arcfire and Arcthunder also help you set up for those ko moves. Granted some moves are more situational than others but just be patient and when the time comes, pick the right move.

Top Bottom