• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Bandicoot Returns (and It's About Time!) Crash's Nitro-Fueled Smash Thread

Dukefire

Smash Master
We got one more week to know what Mii Costumes are appearing with Kazuya. If you had to guess with any tekken characters or any other ones with Bandai Namco, what can you guess. Of course, the elephant in the room is Lloyd Irving from the Tales of series.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
We got one more week to know what Mii Costumes are appearing with Kazuya. If you had to guess with any tekken characters or any other ones with Bandai Namco, what can you guess. Of course, the elephant in the room is Lloyd Irving from the Tales of series.
Probably a Jin brawler for sure. King Brawler also makes sense. Other namco characters I could see getting costumes are Lloyd, KOS MOS, and Klonoa as an oddball choice.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Nightmare.

Laniv

Smash Champion
Valkyrie from Legend of Valkyrie as a Mii Swordfighter costume.

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
Someone from Tekken (Jin, Paul Phoenix, etc)
Lloyd (Tales of)
Nightmare (Soul Calibur)
Klonoa (Klonoa)
Solaire (Dark Souls)

or…

Guile (Street Fighter)
Kasumi (Dead or Alive)

Jurae818

Smash Journeyman
Well, this is really awkward.

On one hand, this confirms the second Fighter's Pass is definitely going to dragged through the twilight of this year if not the dawn of next year and as such, the last character may be underwhelming, like always. On the other hand, it also confirms the budget for the DLC was fairly tight, Sephiroth in my opinion eating most of it if DQ is anything to go by during the first pass and everyone after him would have to be someone that can easily be negotiated, hence why you have the two supporting cast members of Xenoblade 2 and ARMS being pushed. Kazuya definitely comes off as an 'easy' pick; Namco-Bandai working on the game and Tekken being as big as it is gives them an excuse to push a 'popular' series to people who wouldn't normally play Smash. Given the way Kazuya will play, it means that Sakurai can use a pre-made skeleton/base with little effort and go from there. I am not saying that Kazuya is a Ryu clone; I am saying that given how Ryu/Ken/Terry plays, the same can be expected for Kazuya with his respective series. The work was already done.

And with that, I'll say that unless Smash subverts its manner of underwhelming finales (and it won't), the next character will be a pick that is safe like Kazuya and easily affordable. And to be honest, I'm okay with that. I'm not even mad at Kazuya, in fact, I get it. He's not pushing me to buy the second pass, but I get it. As someone who remains realistic and cynical, I still have a slither of hope for Crash being the last fighter and I'm expected to be letdown or outright pissed at the final reveal and if I know Sakurai like I know him based on past observations, he will deliver exactly the way I expect him to. Case in point; there was nothing stopping him or Nintendo from revealing the last two fighters last week. They're aware that once Ultimate concludes, they won't have anything else to dangle over our heads unless they pull a 3rd pass and that definitely isn't going to happen. Once you realize the game that they're playing, it's hard to really invest in it when you fully expect to be disappointed.

So in a way, this is it. It's just a matter of waiting to see how it plays out. But overall, this is the end of the road. If your character hasn't gotten in at this point, that's it. All this tells me is that certain video game icons aren't deemed worthy of being in this supposed celebration of video games, and that forever will key me in on how inconsistent Smash Bros. is as a series, be it its inconsistent treatment of Nintendo IP's, its catering to outside IP's and its outright neglect of obvious choices, Nintendo or non-Nintendo alike. That said, as much as I love to belittle and ream on Sakurai, I believe him when he said Nintendo picked the characters, and somehow, someway, I can see one of those bonehead executives (If not THE bonehead in charge, Furukawa) not considering Crash Bandicoot for their committee-approved list, and I will also put $20 on Activision botching a would-be deal with getting Crash in as a playable fighter for varying reasons.

Prepare yourselves for a massive ****storm, things are already getting ugly.

Faso115

Smash Lord
If the 40 minute showcase is anything to go by, Kazuya is gonna be a pretty complex character to both play and design. Have you played Tekken? It's way different compared to Street Fighter and Fatal Fury.

Skeleton maybe but we had some weird skeleton reuses like Ridley for Banjo for instance so that's not really anything to go by.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Well, this is really awkward.

On one hand, this confirms the second Fighter's Pass is definitely going to dragged through the twilight of this year if not the dawn of next year and as such, the last character may be underwhelming, like always. On the other hand, it also confirms the budget for the DLC was fairly tight, Sephiroth in my opinion eating most of it if DQ is anything to go by during the first pass and everyone after him would have to be someone that can easily be negotiated, hence why you have the two supporting cast members of Xenoblade 2 and ARMS being pushed. Kazuya definitely comes off as an 'easy' pick; Namco-Bandai working on the game and Tekken being as big as it is gives them an excuse to push a 'popular' series to people who wouldn't normally play Smash. Given the way Kazuya will play, it means that Sakurai can use a pre-made skeleton/base with little effort and go from there. I am not saying that Kazuya is a Ryu clone; I am saying that given how Ryu/Ken/Terry plays, the same can be expected for Kazuya with his respective series. The work was already done.

And with that, I'll say that unless Smash subverts its manner of underwhelming finales (and it won't), the next character will be a pick that is safe like Kazuya and easily affordable. And to be honest, I'm okay with that. I'm not even mad at Kazuya, in fact, I get it. He's not pushing me to buy the second pass, but I get it. As someone who remains realistic and cynical, I still have a slither of hope for Crash being the last fighter and I'm expected to be letdown or outright pissed at the final reveal and if I know Sakurai like I know him based on past observations, he will deliver exactly the way I expect him to. Case in point; there was nothing stopping him or Nintendo from revealing the last two fighters last week. They're aware that once Ultimate concludes, they won't have anything else to dangle over our heads unless they pull a 3rd pass and that definitely isn't going to happen. Once you realize the game that they're playing, it's hard to really invest in it when you fully expect to be disappointed.

So in a way, this is it. It's just a matter of waiting to see how it plays out. But overall, this is the end of the road. If your character hasn't gotten in at this point, that's it. All this tells me is that certain video game icons aren't deemed worthy of being in this supposed celebration of video games, and that forever will key me in on how inconsistent Smash Bros. is as a series, be it its inconsistent treatment of Nintendo IP's, its catering to outside IP's and its outright neglect of obvious choices, Nintendo or non-Nintendo alike. That said, as much as I love to belittle and ream on Sakurai, I believe him when he said Nintendo picked the characters, and somehow, someway, I can see one of those bonehead executives (If not THE bonehead in charge, Furukawa) not considering Crash Bandicoot for their committee-approved list, and I will also put $20 on Activision botching a would-be deal with getting Crash in as a playable fighter for varying reasons.

Prepare yourselves for a massive ****storm, things are already getting ugly.
This still goes off of a lot of assumptions- we don't actually know what any character cost. Hell, given the marketing it puts forth for 'rival' companies, it may just be a portion of the sales.

As far as revealing two characters last week- we don't know why we didn't get it. It may be because they don't want to announce it too far before a character releases, given that Covid could have had delays. It may just be that with the insane, free publicity that Smash creates, they don't want to do it all at once. It may be that they want to reveal another pass. Either way, it is still a lot of assumptions on your end. I'm not sure what this game is to which you refer Nintendo playing, but again- given the hype of a reveal- it would be insensible for them to have told us all the characters at the start of the pass. Free publicity. Nintendo may make some odd choices, but it would just be bad business to reveal all the characters at once. It doesn't work for what Smash is.

Funny enough, where I disagree is that Nintendo picked the characters; Sakurai's personal experiences with Persona and King of Fighters stand out as Joker and Terry being from his own mind, or at least his own input/suggestion.

Jurae818

Smash Journeyman
This still goes off of a lot of assumptions- we don't actually know what any character cost. Hell, given the marketing it puts forth for 'rival' companies, it may just be a portion of the sales.

As far as revealing two characters last week- we don't know why we didn't get it. It may be because they don't want to announce it too far before a character releases, given that Covid could have had delays. It may just be that with the insane, free publicity that Smash creates, they don't want to do it all at once. It may be that they want to reveal another pass. Either way, it is still a lot of assumptions on your end. I'm not sure what this game is to which you refer Nintendo playing, but again- given the hype of a reveal- it would be insensible for them to have told us all the characters at the start of the pass. Free publicity. Nintendo may make some odd choices, but it would just be bad business to reveal all the characters at once. It doesn't work for what Smash is.

Funny enough, where I disagree is that Nintendo picked the characters; Sakurai's personal experiences with Persona and King of Fighters stand out as Joker and Terry being from his own mind, or at least his own input/suggestion.
You said it right there - Smash speculation is what fuels the interest of the game, moreso than the reveals and the game itself. That's the game they're playing. They could have shown the last two fighters last week, but they didn't. Not because of COVID, but because if they did that, they lose the publicity that Smash generates and given their rather weak showcase at E3, this tells me that they really are going to go right to the end of 2021 with this pass. And I will say that Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest are not cheap to license, moreso the former with how convoluted the music rights are if Cloud in both Smash Four and Ultimate's base game are anything to go by and Sakurai outright mentioned that the Heroes' voice actors were costly, but only the seiyuus. And even then, I imagine Sugiyama being pretty stingy with the music for DQ as well, but at least you only have to go through Sugiyama with that one vs. the handful of composers for Final Fantasy and that's for one game.

Persona and Fatal Fury are definitely Sakurai, that I agree on. And this also makes me wonder what kind of list they had him pick from. Even if he picked the characters, I do believe that Nintendo also had picked a few characters on their own terms, allowing Sakurai a bone or two and those two series coincidentally appearing on that list that he could pick from. Byleth definitely screams NINTENDO as does the messy situation with Min Min and Pyra/Mythra and if the whole scenario with Minecraft is true, that one was also Nintendo (Sakurai even alluded to it on the showcase). I love the game to death but Steve is probably the least significant part of it. You would likely see Steve or even a set of diamond armor as a Mii costume under normal circumstances. There's no telling what's going on behind the scenes, but Sakurai has been straightforward with this game's elements so if he says Nintendo picked the characters that he chose from, I believe him, and there is definitely enough evidence to suggest that they did.

If the 40 minute showcase is anything to go by, Kazuya is gonna be a pretty complex character to both play and design. Have you played Tekken? It's way different compared to Street Fighter and Fatal Fury.

Skeleton maybe but we had some weird skeleton reuses like Ridley for Banjo for instance so that's not really anything to go by.
I have played Tekken, and that's why I made the comparison. Transcribing Tekken's gameplay to Smash is the same process as Street Fighter/Fatal Fury. They play differently, but the concept/foundation is more or less the same.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
You said it right there - Smash speculation is what fuels the interest of the game, moreso than the reveals and the game itself. That's the game they're playing.
That isn't at all what I said- while I personally do love to speculate, and it does generate hype for the game, the big news for Smash, the reveals, is what makes headline news for Nintendo.

They could have shown the last two fighters last week, but they didn't. Not because of COVID, but because if they did that, they lose the publicity that Smash generates and given their rather weak showcase at E3, this tells me that they really are going to go right to the end of 2021 with this pass.
They could have just revealed them all in the beginning, too. That doesn't make it the smart decision.
Considering we got Piranha ahead of schedule, that reveals have been mostly evenly timed out, and the last pass ended with months to go in the timespan, your anger is coming across to me as a bit irrational.

And I will say that Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest are not cheap to license, moreso the former with how convoluted the music rights are if Cloud in both Smash Four and Ultimate's base game are anything to go by and Sakurai outright mentioned that the Heroes' voice actors were costly, but only the seiyuus. And even then, I imagine Sugiyama being pretty stingy with the music for DQ as well, but at least you only have to go through Sugiyama with that one vs. the handful of composers for Final Fantasy and that's for one game.
These are still speculations towards cost. Smash is not exactly like other places where a character will be licensed- the other parties actually have a lot to gain.

Persona and Fatal Fury are definitely Sakurai, that I agree on. And this also makes me wonder what kind of list they had him pick from. Even if he picked the characters, I do believe that Nintendo also had picked a few characters on their own terms, allowing Sakurai a bone or two and those two series coincidentally appearing on that list that he could pick from. Byleth definitely screams NINTENDO as does the messy situation with Min Min and Pyra/Mythra and if the whole scenario with Minecraft is true, that one was also Nintendo (Sakurai even alluded to it on the showcase). I love the game to death but Steve is probably the least significant part of it. You would likely see Steve or even a set of diamond armor as a Mii costume under normal circumstances. There's no telling what's going on behind the scenes, but Sakurai has been straightforward with this game's elements so if he says Nintendo picked the characters that he chose from, I believe him, and there is definitely enough evidence to suggest that they did.
Curious... what evidence do you cite?

I have played Tekken, and that's why I made the comparison. Transcribing Tekken's gameplay to Smash is the same process as Street Fighter/Fatal Fury. They play differently, but the concept/foundation is more or less the same.
Meaning... that they are 1v1 HP fights?

Jurae818

Smash Journeyman
That isn't at all what I said- while I personally do love to speculate, and it does generate hype for the game, the big news for Smash, the reveals, is what makes headline news for Nintendo.
Speculation is the meat of Smash, so much so that it eclipses the actual reveals and even game itself. This was always the case since Brawl. You're right about the reveals, but the mystery box speculation is the meat of this game at least.

They could have just revealed them all in the beginning, too. That doesn't make it the smart decision.
…Which also ties in with what I said. And I never said anything about revealing them all at the beginning, just that it was a possibility that they could have done a double reveal.

Considering we got Piranha ahead of schedule, that reveals have been mostly evenly timed out, and the last pass ended with months to go in the timespan, your anger is coming across to me as a bit irrational.
I don't know where your claim of 'anger' is coming from, but I'm simply being critical of what was shown along with speculating (That seems to be the new trigger word now) what's to come. Naturally people in the Crash thread are going to be disappointed that Crash wasn't shown and is unlikely to show up. I don't see anyone typing in all caps wishing death on Sakurai.

These are still speculations towards cost. Smash is not exactly like other places where a character will be licensed- the other parties actually have a lot to gain.
Not if they’re unable to navigate through the legal webbing. Square (Keyword, Enix is another beast) already has problems with some of the music in Final Fantasy, mainly any songs with a singer or vocals and I believe that the composers for each respective title own the rights to the music used in said titles.

Hero: https://nintendosoup.com/sakurai-di...dget-constraints-working-with-hand-pain-more/
Not necessarily a problem with Dragon Quest in general, but there are three companies that you have to go through in general, never mind the other companies that developed an individual title (III, VI, etc.) and such. This example is only related to the livestream for Hero.

Final Fantasy: https://sourcegaming.info/2018/09/0...a-great-game-sakurais-famitsu-column-vol-562/
This isn't just Final Fantasy, but game music in general. Licensing characters is one thing but the music can be a legal nightmare with one track spread through multiple companies, and this is just in one region. This is why sometimes a soundtrack may get changed in the American/western release.
Somehow, someway they managed to get more Final Fantasy music with Sephiroth which makes me believe that CP9 took most of the budget this time.

Curious... what evidence do you cite?
I...just said it in that paragraph, source, the Steve showcase. And it's not a secret that Nintendo wants to push Fire Emblem, Corrin alone showed that and Sakurai had to reiterate twice that he's aware of FE's overrepresentation.

Meaning... that they are 1v1 HP fights?
C'mon now. I literally said that the process for transcribing Kazuya is the same as Ryu/Ken/Terry IE lifting their gameplay straight from the source and implementing it in Smash.

This isn't really related to Crash, so I'll leave it at that.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Speculation is the meat of Smash, so much so that it eclipses the actual reveals and even game itself. This was always the case since Brawl. You're right about the reveals, but the mystery box speculation is the meat of this game at least.
Speculation is not what drives the game, the game sales are what drive the game. There are very few people compared to the entire Smash audience that spend time speculating.

…Which also ties in with what I said. And I never said anything about revealing them all at the beginning, just that it was a possibility that they could have done a double reveal.
What I initially quoted referred to asking you what you meant by "Once you realize the game that they're playing, it's hard to really invest in it when you fully expect to be disappointed." Though you didn't clarify then or now, I just stated that I was making the guess that you meant, reveal them all at once.

I don't know where your claim of 'anger' is coming from, but I'm simply being critical of what was shown along with speculating (That seems to be the new trigger word now) what's to come. Naturally people in the Crash thread are going to be disappointed that Crash wasn't shown and is unlikely to show up. I don't see anyone typing in all caps wishing death on Sakurai.
I just communicated what I took from your reading. I don't personally think one need go to the extreme of death threats when they are angry.

Not if they’re unable to navigate through the legal webbing. Square (Keyword, Enix is another beast) already has problems with some of the music in Final Fantasy, mainly any songs with a singer or vocals and I believe that the composers for each respective title own the rights to the music used in said titles.

Hero: https://nintendosoup.com/sakurai-di...dget-constraints-working-with-hand-pain-more/
Not necessarily a problem with Dragon Quest in general, but there are three companies that you have to go through in general, never mind the other companies that developed an individual title (III, VI, etc.) and such. This example is only related to the livestream for Hero.

Final Fantasy: https://sourcegaming.info/2018/09/0...a-great-game-sakurais-famitsu-column-vol-562/
This isn't just Final Fantasy, but game music in general. Licensing characters is one thing but the music can be a legal nightmare with one track spread through multiple companies, and this is just in one region. This is why sometimes a soundtrack may get changed in the American/western release.
Somehow, someway they managed to get more Final Fantasy music with Sephiroth which makes me believe that CP9 took most of the budget this time.
It can be a nightmare, but that doesn't at all equate to assumed costs.

C'mon now. I literally said that the process for transcribing Kazuya is the same as Ryu/Ken/Terry IE lifting their gameplay straight from the source and implementing it in Smash.
We don't know, we havn't seen how he controls. The only thing we were once told is that Sakurai wanted to work a Tekken character like in their game- mapping out limbs to buttons. However he got that to blend with Smash clearly took a lot of work, or it would have been easy to do when he first found it impossible. We can wait and see how he actually gets played.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
I posted this in Newcomer speculation, but one thing we could cling to hope with is that FP2’s third parties have all been heavy hitters. Tekken, FF7, and Minecraft are all huge. It wouldn’t be too weird if we got one more big third party.

Keep in mind that doesn’t mean crash is coming for sure, but it’s not all doom and gloom. I would say he’s got a 25% chance now that the dust has settled.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I just wanted to say something about this pattern, which probably means nothing.

I noticed that since Banjo-Kazooie were released as DLC for Smash Bros. Ultimate, we have had Terry, Byleth and Min-Min, who were fighters that were humans or humanoid. Banjo-Kazooie are cartoony in comparison. After Min-Min, we had Steve. While it could be said that he is a human, he is rather blocky and different from most human or humanoid fighters in the pass. So I am counting him as cartoony. Then we have Sephiroth, then Pyra and Mythra, and then Kazuya at E3.

Now, there were not two E3 reveals for Smash with another character being revealed alongside Kazuya, but that may have been intentional on Nintendo's part. With that said, Sephiroth, Pyra and Mythra and Kazuya were all humans or humanoids as well. With that, and considering the placement of Banjo-Kazooie and Steve, I think there is a pattern here. It may not be the case, but I believe that whoever the last fighter is; given that Steve was revealed three human characters from Banjo-Kazooie, and this last character is going to be revealed three human characters from Steve, I can see that the last character we may get will be cartoony or anthropomorphic like Steve and Banjo-Kazooie were. Is it going to be Crash Bandicoot? It may or may not be, assuming this pattern holds true in the end.

Like I said, this could mean nothing, but I just wanted to share this with you all. What do you all think?

UnknownJ25

Smash Journeyman
I just wanted to say something about this pattern, which probably means nothing.

I noticed that since Banjo-Kazooie were released as DLC for Smash Bros. Ultimate, we have had Terry, Byleth and Min-Min, who were fighters that were humans or humanoid. Banjo-Kazooie are cartoony in comparison. After Min-Min, we had Steve. While it could be said that he is a human, he is rather blocky and different from most human or humanoid fighters in the pass. So I am counting him as cartoony. Then we have Sephiroth, then Pyra and Mythra, and then Kazuya at E3.

Now, there were not two E3 reveals for Smash with another character being revealed alongside Kazuya, but that may have been intentional on Nintendo's part. With that said, Sephiroth, Pyra and Mythra and Kazuya were all humans or humanoids as well. With that, and considering the placement of Banjo-Kazooie and Steve, I think there is a pattern here. It may not be the case, but I believe that whoever the last fighter is; given that Steve was revealed three human characters from Banjo-Kazooie, and this last character is going to be revealed three human characters from Steve, I can see that the last character we may get will be cartoony or anthropomorphic like Steve and Banjo-Kazooie were. Is it going to be Crash Bandicoot? It may or may not be, assuming this pattern holds true in the end.

Like I said, this could mean nothing, but I just wanted to share this with you all. What do you all think?
Dang it's only one off for working with plant too

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ

I can't see Nintendo caring too much about patterns, but they may be interested in diversifying the pass with a nonhuman character. I just know that's not the only thing they're going to consider, so it's just another coin toss unfortunately.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Dang it's only one off for working with plant too
Oh yeah, I forgot about the plant.

I can't see Nintendo caring too much about patterns, but they may be interested in diversifying the pass with a nonhuman character. I just know that's not the only thing they're going to consider, so it's just another coin toss unfortunately.
I know, which is why even I am not taking this pattern I have seen seriously.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
People giving up on crash, that means he loses momentum, which means people speculate about him less which means he is unexpected, which means he is now gonna get revealed because speculation never gets things right.

Checkmate atheists /s
I mean, it happened with Byleth...

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
This is the Smash fanbase we're talking about. They'll find a way...
Well nobody can really blame them for Byleth.. I mean.. How many FE does this game need? xD I'll be the 1st person to say I hate Byleth's design, origins, reveal trailer, you name it. He beat out my old most hated, Corrin, by a long shot. Personally not into any human looking characters.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Surely this last reveal won't be as bad as Byleth's was.... LMAO
This post reminds me of this:

It's probably best not to say "it couldn't get worse" or "what could possibly go wrong?" because the universe will find a way to show you how much worse it could get. (for all we know, it could wind up being Bubsy, or the protagonist/avatar character from the Fire Emblem Heroes mobile game - I can't think of any other worst-case scenarios, but you can fill in the blanks on that)

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
This post reminds me of this:

It's probably best not to say "it couldn't get worse" or "what could possibly go wrong?" because the universe will find a way to show you how much worse it could get. (for all we know, it could wind up being Bubsy, or the protagonist/avatar character from the Fire Emblem Heroes mobile game - I can't think of any other worst-case scenarios, but you can fill in the blanks on that)
Yeah, that is basically Murphy's law for everyone here.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311

To be fair, I absolutely do not consider Steve to be cartoony. Of our DLC, I consider the only cartoony characters to be Banjo and Piranha.

This is the Smash fanbase we're talking about. They'll find a way...
The only thing worse, for me, would be yet another FE character.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
To be fair, I absolutely do not consider Steve to be cartoony. Of our DLC, I consider the only cartoony characters to be Banjo and Piranha.

The only thing worse, for me, would be yet another FE character.
He may not be that cartoony, but I personally still find him to be different enough from the other humans and humanoids that appeared as DLC so far, and I personally find him cartoony enough to put him up there with Banjo-Kazooie and the Piranha Plant, if a step below those two.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
He may not be that cartoony, but I personally still find him to be different enough from the other humans and humanoids that appeared as DLC so far, and I personally find him cartoony enough to put him up there with Banjo-Kazooie and the Piranha Plant, if a step below those two.
I'm just not sure how a 16 pixel character of a human can be considered cartoony. By that standard, characters like Samus were cartoony in their original games.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I'm just not sure how a 16 pixel character of a human can be considered cartoony. By that standard, characters like Samus were cartoony in their original games.
Well, maybe cartoony is not the right word, but I did not mean it in the sense of what you may be thinking. I actually meant whatever word that describes their non-normal look and not being close to the humans in the DLC passes. Who else is that blocky in real life? It may not count the physics Steve has in (which are still kinda different, if not cartoony due to how Steve moves and jumps), but with what was just said, you should probably know what I mean.

Faso115

Smash Lord
Cartoony is when a character has more exagerated proportions or is a creature that usually you wouldn't see on real life. Pixel art like Minecraft is very cartoony for example and of the all DLC characters, only Banjo and Steve fit the mold as the others are designed more realistically.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Cartoony is when a character has more exagerated proportions or is a creature that usually you wouldn't see on real life. Pixel art like Minecraft is very cartoony for example and of the all DLC characters, only Banjo and Steve fit the mold as the others are designed more realistically.
That is what I thought. I was wondering how Steve could not be cartoony.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
No... I don't think all characters with any exaggerated features are classified as cartoony. Even in your own example, it isn't congruent. If Steve has "exaggerated proportions," then absolutely so do Min Min, Joker, and Terry, who all have exaggerated eyes.

Again, if Steve is cartoony because he is pixelated, that means every single character until the 5th generation of consoles is considered cartoony... and that is ridiculous.

We are welcome to have differing opinions, but Steve is simply 16 bit. I'm not going to say he is realistic, but those aren't singularly the only options. There isn't even anything exaggerated on him, except that they magnify his head slightly, because otherwise we wouldn't see anything on his facial expression at all.
Regardless, I'm not sure why this conversation really even matters.

Last edited:

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
Steve looks like more of a mascot type character. I'd prefer more mascot looking characters like Agumon, Geno, Crash, Waluigi, any DK rep, and even another Pokemon instead of the more realistic type of characters.

So if I had to give up Sora, Master Chief, Doom Slayer, Scorpion, Dante, and just any HUMAN looking character in general, I would gladly do that. Get back to adding characters that have NO realism to their appearance.

The game just has too many human like characters now, which is kind of sad, because all that happened mainly during the Wii U and Ultimate era.....

Last edited:

GreyJinjo

Smash Cadet
hey guys. i dont know if people have already mentioned something like this but i just wanna say my thoughts on kazuya and e3 and inclusions. its a bit late but its whatever

i dont hate tekken or kazuya's inclusion. tekken really does deserve to be in smash and im glad it finally is. but before e3 started, my biggest pipe dream after banjo was to have crash and master chief as dlc later down the line. because crash is considered the closest the ps1 had to a mascot back then (at least in my eyes) and master chief is the mascot of xbox (and ive been wanting an fps rep since ultimate started). i knew it was very unlikely, because for the last 2 characters, both of them not being japanese characters is doesnt seem like something nintendo wants. and this is basically my main complaint about the dissapointing aspects to kazuya's inclusion.

i hate that after all this time it still always feels like a big hurdle for wanting a character JUST because theyre not japanese. for a game that sakurai glorified about that it brings worlds together, it has always felt against the favors on non japanese characters. im not saying japanese inclusions are bad or anything, there are still great japanese inclusions that should still be in smash even after kazuya. but it feels like nintendo doesnt understand that smash as a franchise is loved by people all over the world, not just japan. i just think its a shame that i still feel like my 2 of my most wanted choices are unlikely just because of the simple fact that theyre not japanese.

and not only that, but crash is one of the most prominent examples of a non japanese character thats still decently popular in japan. i wouldnt say hes a household name there or anything but he's definetely a prominent video game character there as well. as for master chief, i do believe halo's more niche in japan than the rest of the world, but here's the thing: sakurai made the choice to add characters like marth, roy, and corrin as an attempt to make those japanese characters gain interest for people outside of japan. if they were able to try that out, howcome theyve never tried it the other way around? as in adding a western character in the game to gain interest for people in the japanese audience (their main audience that they are catering to)? halo could work for something like that. but theyve never ever tried doing that and it doesnt look like they plan to. non japanese characters shouldve felt more welcome in smash than they have been throughout smash's lifespan. im not saying there should be more western characters or anything, but characters like crash and master chief couldve been great benchmarks for smash unclusions ALONG with characters like joker, sephiroth, and kazuya. but instead, they feel like miracle exceptions. a bone thrown out for the people in the back that have loved smash as long and as deeply as the people in the front. i dont like it, and im sure a lot of other people dont like it. heck, im pretty sure even sakurai doesnt like it. its just a shame.

Top Bottom