• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Bandicoot Returns (and It's About Time!) Crash's Nitro-Fueled Smash Thread

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Why are you being so accusatory? Please try to relax. I don't have a problem with JRPG characters being added.
I don't think they were talking about you.

Although I HAVE seen a weird amount of Crash fans on Twitter making memes about JRPG fans, using a Family Guy clip.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Somewhat of a random thought that kind of just occured to me doesn't really make to sense.

I always hear people say that Coco Bandicoot as an Echo/Alt/Semi-Clone or whatever would be "Impossible" because of different skeleton hitbox compares to her brother Crash Bandicoot.

But...

If I'm not mistaken and correct me if I'm wrong Banjo-Kazooie skeleton or hitbox design was based off of Ridley's as they have some similar attacks and their much more different compared to Crash and Coco.

I'm no game designer so am I viewing this the wrong way or am I making any some sort of sense here?

The only thing that I can think of is that Ridley's already existed as a framework for Banjo-Kazooie where as Crash and Coco's foundation would possibly have to be from another existing fighter's framework.
I'm not sure if any concrete proof that Banjo and Kazooie used Ridley's skeleton/hitbox design as a base, but the difference is that Banjo and Kazooie weren't intended to be an alternate costume for Ridley.

As far as I know, the different hitboxes concept was only used to explain why Coco wouldn't be an alternate costume for Crash; I don't recall it ever being used to claim that she couldn't be an echo/semi-clone. (in my experience, that was a reason why she would be an echo/semi-clone, rather than an alternate costume, if she was included)

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Do you guys think it'll be Crash's time to shine finally?

A part of me hopes so, but at the same time I'm kinda feeling Master Chief will be the big reveal who I also want.

Only the 15th will tell when we get to that day.

Also how and where do you rate Crash's chances for this years E3?
Absolutely, and I'll be dead shocked if Crash isn't our E3 reveal.

I've been personally seeing a lot of pessimism as of recently regarding Crash's chances, and I... don't really get where it's coming from, like at all. Also yes, I'm going to be using your question as an excuse to call out the pessimists here.
I've seen some people use Lex Lang's Instagram comments as a direct deconfirmation for Crash, but I personally find that really, really silly. All Lex Lang is saying is that the upcoming project they're teasing on Instagram is not related to Smash, not that Crash isn't gonna be in at all. Which isn't really surprising, since if Crash is in Smash, chances are they're either A. Recycling old voice clips from other games, or B. The voice work for Crash would have been long done at this point.
On top of that, this is Lex Lang who is making these comments, not Scott Whyte. I think their is an extremely high chance that Lex Lang probably doesn't even know Crash is happening for Smash, since why would they really need him to do any voicework? I've heard some people speculate that Cortex could have been used in Crash's trailer and that he would have a few new lines of dialogue, but how is that in anyway a guarantee? Crash has numerous ideas for how a reveal trailer can go anyways, so it's not like they need Cortex in it.

Anyways, sorry for the tangent. I just really wanted an excuse to address the pessimism I've been seeing because I really don't understand it at all. I'm not saying Crash is a 100% guarantee mind you, but I do think he has a decent shot, and I think people are overthinking the comments made by Lex Lang quite drastically. Only time will tell, however, as we should have our answer in only 9 more days.

Last edited:

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
Why are you being so accusatory? Please try to relax. I don't have a problem with JRPG characters being added.
I wasn't talking about you in particular. But I've noticed people doing that in a lot of the forums supporting western characters that could be popular in Japan from browsing them, and I just couldn't help pointing out the hypocrisy. Sorry, I should've mentioned that I wasn't referring to you when posting that reply initially.

Last edited:

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Absolutely, and I'll be dead shocked if Crash isn't our E3 reveal.
I'll just say this. Hype responsibly. I've seen so many people go in calmly with claims that they'll be shocked if "Insert X" character doesn't get in...only for that character not to get in and the person in question, going crazy, blaming Nintendo and acting like they snubbed the character in general when there was no guarantee in the first place.

JustASora/CrashSupporter

Smash Apprentice
I'll just say this. Hype responsibly. I've seen so many people go in calmly with claims that they'll be shocked if "Insert X" character doesn't get in...only for that character not to get in and the person in question, going crazy, blaming Nintendo and acting like they snubbed the character in general when there was no guarantee in the first place.
So much this. I get that almost everyone wants Crash to be in the game, but acting like a character is 100% confirmed is a complete unhealthy mindset. I'm still hyped, but I'm keeping my expectations low for E3.

Dukefire

Smash Master
I do worry of Lloyd as HE IS the last remaining Mii costume to return. He might just be his mii costume again like how Geno's fate was. Anything is possible, but it looks unlikely for him being a fighter.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
I do worry of Lloyd as HE IS the last remaining Mii costume to return. He might just be his mii costume again like how Geno's fate was. Anything is possible, but it looks unlikely for him being a fighter.
If we see Lloyd at E3 I can almost guarantee there will be a double reveal.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
If we've learned anything, it's almost impossible to guess who the final two DLC will be. But if I were forced to make a guess on the two characters I thought would make it, I think I'd probably say Crash and Lloyd. Not just band wagon either, I always thought Lloyd would make it in (especially since Namco has been part of the development and production teams), and Crash to me honestly just feels like the biggest glaring omission of any character for the last couple decades. Thankfully we should find out at least one of these in a little over a week.

Last edited:

volbound1700

Smash Master
I am wondering if we get Lloyd Irving, if we could also get Yuri as an alternative costume. I don't know enough about the Tales series, would that even be feasible based on their abilities in the game? Seems like it would be a good plan to have the two most popular Tales characters and it also allows for both sexes.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
I am wondering if we get Lloyd Irving, if we could also get Yuri as an alternative costume. I don't know enough about the Tales series, would that even be feasible based on their abilities in the game? Seems like it would be a good plan to have the two most popular Tales characters and it also allows for both sexes.
So this is a little bit of an interesting thing. Body size, most protags of all the Tales games are roughly the same size and shape. The problem with Lloyd is he is traditionally a dual wielding swordsman, and Yuri is definitely not. Most other Tales protags are also male swordsmen, more like Yuri's style, but some don't have swords at all. A lot of core Tales moves are similar, like they mostly all have a shockwave type move, a beast roar wave move, etc, but the individual games offer unique things that make them different. For example one of the Tales protag's gimmick is he literally fuses with elemental spirits and becomes like elemental spirit wielders (not that unlike Xenoblade).

So to answer your question... they could make Lloyd and Yuri in a similar fashion to Hero with moves that more or less make sense, but they'd lose the sense of style that each has. Yuri has a cool laid back demeanor and Lloyd is more focused, and fights with two swords, so even though they can both learn moves like Tiger Blade and various Fang moves, it would probably feel wrong. Now, they could give Yuri two swords I suppose, or make it purely aesthetic, so it's not that it's impossible, but it'd be much harder to pull off convincingly in comparison to the Heros.

Oh, and Yuri is also a male. There are female protagonists but they're generally not sword fighters. I actually can't think of any, haha. They all have unique weapons like lances, claws, magic, chakram, etc.

Last edited:

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
I appreciate the concern, but I think I'll be alright. I was a Geno supporter and along with Isaac, Geno's deconfirmation stung hard, so I'd say I'm used to it. Like I said, I don't think Crash is 100% happening but I do think he has a decent shot and I just wanted to point out that I don't think the Lex Lang stuff really counts as a deconfirmation towards Crash.

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
Sigh Guys, I can't decide who I want to predict being revealed on Tuesday 😖 I thought I was gonna go with Crash and Yuri Lowell, but I just don't know anymore. I've changed my mind so much on this that my brain's all scrambled.

Maybe I should just NOT make any predictions... We are only a week from possibly seeing the last 2 fighters for Smash anyway... Besides I don't exactly have the best track record in Smash Ultimate DLC fighter predictions.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Sigh Guys, I can't decide who I want to predict being revealed on Tuesday 😖 I thought I was gonna go with Crash and Yuri Lowell, but I just don't know anymore. I've changed my mind so much on this that my brain's all scrambled.

Maybe I should just NOT make any predictions... We are only a week from possibly seeing the last 2 fighters for Smash anyway... Besides I don't exactly have the best track record in Smash Ultimate DLC fighter predictions.
Yeah, that's probably best. Hoping for Crash is all well and good, but predicting him's not gonna go anywhere if it's not him.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

Okay, hear me out: predict the one character you DON'T want in Smash. That way, assuming it's not that character, you'll still be hyped no matter who it is.

Dukefire

Smash Master
I can say that Crash Bandicoot himself isn't coming
FakeCrashIAT.png

In seriousness, out of a lot of characters still running for the invite. I can say that Jonsey from Fortnite isn't coming.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Okay, hear me out: predict the one character you DON'T want in Smash. That way, assuming it's not that character, you'll still be hyped no matter who it is.
Any Pokemon

Easy peasy

I just want series without a fighter in the roster yet.

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
The main advice I will give this thread is hope for the best but expect the worst. Does crash have a solid chance? I mean, I would not have written an 8 page essay if I thought he did not. But we could get something like Chief Tracer or even Sora instead. So brace yourselves for E3 not Beni f crash, but hope it is. Don’t set yourself up for disappointment.

AnEasterEgg

Smash Journeyman
I sure love when Smashboards just decides to stop notifying me about activity in threads I follow...

But anyway. Yeah, E3 could have anything from two of my most wanted to someone I've never heard of to someone I actively don't want in Smash. Hell, is it even confirmed that there will be a fighter reveal? It makes perfect sense to have at least one, but is there an actual confirmation?

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I just want a reason to use my $25 credit that's sitting in my Eshop account that I won in a "Super Smash Bros Ultimate Tournament Open" back during the Holidays.

I only really buy physical games and there's not really any much DLC out there available from my existing library, So all I really have at the moment is just new Smash Bros fighters to look forward to and the last one I bought was announced nearly 2 years ago,

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Going beyond just one character I don't want in Ultimate's Roster. I list out my reasons for the selected ones.

Jonsey from Fortnite: It will get a lot of kids excited to see this trending game to be part of the roster. To me, while he is the hot topic of the internet, I don't see him fitting in. Though, I'm ok if sakurai can design a way for his arsenal and building mechanic to work

Doom Slayer: I enjoy playing his series (I may jump into the older titles later), but I don't see his chances high due to the more violent nature he's in.

Scorpion: I can agree that they can mild his kombat style like in Injustice, but the series itself isn't favored in Japan due to the Intense Gore and blood.

rfarleydude97

Smash Apprentice

" VGC: Activision will not show the next Call Of Duty game at #E32021 and instead present it in an in-game event in Warzone later this summer On track to launch on last-gen and current-gen consoles + PC this November"

So Activision wont show the next COD at E3 2021 (they werent gonna be there anyways since they were not on the attendance list) and they already planned on showing off Season 4 of Warzone at SGF (I imagine that can't be the only thing they'll show)

Leaves a good chance we might see something Crash related tomorrow or at some point in this event and maybe E3 still? Who knows.

Dukefire

Smash Master
That's a possibility for Activision to do. I'm just unsure on deciding since there are so much speculation popping up.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I just change when I feel like it. Besides, E3 is a lot to think about while on Smashboards. So, something to take off the thoughts for sometime.
That's fair. The stress IS getting to a lot of people, even if it's not related to E3 (i.e. the announcement that Activision will be focusing on COD during Summer Games Fest).

Top Bottom