• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Bandicoot Returns (and It's About Time!) Crash's Nitro-Fueled Smash Thread

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
The Game Awards, December 10, 2020. One more Challenger Pack reveal before the year is over. WHOA! It's Crash Bandicoot.

Despite having my own personal faves, if Crash comes up as CP 8, I wouldn't mind at all, and would be an excellent addition while the other Packs come along in 2021. The time is now, may we witness history in the making once again in bringing together the Console Mascot Trio from back then (Mario x Sonic x Crash).

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The Game Awards, December 10, 2020. One more Challenger Pack reveal before the year is over. WHOA! It's Crash Bandicoot.

Despite having my own personal faves, if Crash comes up as CP 8, I wouldn't mind at all, and would be an excellent addition while the other Packs come along in 2021. The time is now, may we witness history in the making once again in bringing together the Console Mascot Trio from back then (Mario x Sonic x Crash).
Keep in mind though, it's more likely that the VGAs might instead reveal Crash's next game. His 25th anniversary is next year, and I doubt they'll just use a mobile phone game alone to celebrate that. Keep an eye out for any physical hints from Activision in the next coming month or so.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Decided to look up the Crash Bandicoot mobile game (news-wise), and now that I'm caught up, the game was officially announced/revealed on July 9th, 2020. Haven't seen a release date for it though, but I've seen some videos of playthroughs of it so, dunno what's up with that.

Now, bringing back that supposed leaked internal document detailing the plans for Crash, if I remember correctly the roadmap went something like this,
  • Crash Bandicoot N-Sane Trilogy
  • Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled
  • Crash Bandicoot 4: It's About Time
  • Crash Bandicoot: On the Run!
  • Crash for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
Hmm, well now, if that was strictly going to be the order of events, then Crash should be right around the corner (if the document in fact was legit). Now let's take a look at the timing of each event.
  • June 13th, 2016 = Crash Bandicoot N-Sane Trilogy was first announced on PlayStation's E3 2016 presentation as a timed exclusive for the PS4.
  • June 30th, 2017 = Crash Bandicoot N-Sane Trilogy launches for the PS4.
  • June 29th, 2018 = Crash Bandicoot N-Sane Trilogy launches for PC, Xbox One, and Nintendo Switch.
  • December 6th, 2018 = Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled is revealed at The Game Awards.
  • June 21st, 2019 = Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled launches for PS4, Xbox One, and Nintendo Switch.
  • April 22nd, 2020 = Crash Bandicoot: On the Run! was "soft-launched" in select Asian countries.
  • July 9th, 2020 = Crash Bandicoot: On the Run! is announced for mobile (no release date confirmed).
  • June 18th, 2020 = around this time, some Crash Bandicoot YouTubers and video game reporting outlets like IGN received a jigsaw puzzle of a mask (that would soon come to be known as one of the masks in Crash Bandicoot 4: It's About Time).
  • June 22nd, 2020 = Crash Bandicoot 4: It's About Time is officially announced during the Summer Game Fest stream by Geoff Keighley (albeit the game's existence became known around June 19th after the game was rated in Taiwan, revealing the boxart).
  • September 2020 = a form is announced and published on the official Crash Bandicoot: On the Run! website for registering users to test the game in beta phase. https://www.king.com/game/crashontherun
  • October 2nd, 2020 = Crash Bandicoot 4: It's About Time launches on PS4 and Xbox One.
Looking at it all, Crash has been quite active ever since. So then, again, if the alleged leaked internal document is real, all there is left is for Crash to be included in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate as part of Fighters Pass Vol. 2. Imo, The Game Awards 2020 would be a fitting place to reveal him as the next Challenger Pack, AND perhaps to slide in an announcement for Crash 4 for the Nintendo Switch (contrary to the N-Sane Trilogy, Crash 4 isn't a timed exclusive title). Although I do recall something being mentioned about the Crash Bandicoot 4: It's About Time website including code for a Nintendo Switch version of the game as an option (yet to be revealed). Ah, yes! Here it is.

By the time of The Game Awards 2020 (which will be on December 10th), it will have been two months and a few days after Steve was revealed as Challenger Pack 7 for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. A two month gap seems appropriate for reveals (although a more conservative window might be three months). That being said, I guess as always we'll just have to wait and see what comes up.

Personally though... please may Crash be revealed at TGA 2020. 🙏🙏🙏

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Activision leaks are generally on average 95% accurate, so I have no doubt that it's legit (even if it flirts dangerously with a NDA). Would be nice to have a screenshot of said document though.

Again, don't be surprised if there's no Crash Smash reveal at the VGAs and we hear of the rumored multiplayer Crash game there instead.

Then again, it could be both, but we'll see. Just be open to any outcome. For all we know, the 5-year plan would be set to end on 2021 and we would possibly not hear of Crash in Smash until then.

Wasn't there a rumored multiplayer Crash game for 2021 from the 5 year plan leak? Or am I mistaken?
You're not wrong, TheGamingRevolution covered that a while back, and it'll supposedly be on console, mobile and PC. So far, our current estimate is that we'll hear of it sometime next year.

By the way, YsDisciple YsDisciple my current estimate for news of the launch of On The Run is on the week of Halloween, if they want to capitalize on a Battle Pack featuring the return of Mr. Crumb.

Last edited:

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Duh, Blinx the Time Sweeper! He's gonna be announced any day now.

Aaaaaannnnyyyyyyyy day now...
I'm pretty hopeful that it is a hint. It wouldn't be out of character for Sakurai, he did it with Hero and (maybe) Banjo-both of those characters were E3 reveals btw. Then again we shouldn't place too much faith in it, because for all we know he's making a cheeky little reference to a game that he enjoys.

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
I'm feeling pensive about the situation. TGAs last year was a boring mess of advertisements, and I really don't wanna slog through them again for the slight chance of Crash content. Maybe I'll skim through them live instead of watching it all, there's no way it could be as boring this year...right?

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
I'm feeling pensive about the situation. TGAs last year was a boring mess of advertisements, and I really don't wanna slog through them again for the slight chance of Crash content. Maybe I'll skim through them live instead of watching it all, there's no way it could be as boring this year...right?
What I did last year was have the TGAs on on a laptop when I had people over, we played Jackbox and had a little party while the announcements and awards sucked.

That being said do not do that this year, Covid is bad. I would just hop into a discord server and chill/play games while it goes on.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Geoff Keighley already ran out of steam for his events after the first Developer Showcase earlier this year. I'm seriously considering tuning it off after the requisite Muppet segment.

That being said...

TGAs would line up nicely for a Crash reveal. Activision likes revealing Crash stuff at TGAs. Crash N Sane got a nice trailer, and CTR NF got announced. Nintendo also at the very least announced Joker there, so there are grounds for it.
As much as that makes sense, you have to keep in mind that :mybodyisreggie: was at the one for 2018. 2019 didn't have any Nintendo people, and there were no Smash news.

Also, Activision would have to post a physical tease shortly before the event. If not, no Crash news will happen.

Last edited:

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
I wouldn't sleep on Geoff Keighley and TGA 2020. I was trying to look up that tweet he made a while ago sort of pitching to Nintendo to work with something for TGA this year, but for the life of me I can't find it. On the other hand, scrolling down his Twitter, he's been keeping an eye on Nintendo announcements as well as retweeting them (such as the Partner Directs, the Super Mario Bros. 35th Anniversary, Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity, etc.), and of course he's also been spreading the word for Crash Bandicoot 4: It's About Time ever since it was officially announced. Heck, he's even been having zoom calls with some industry folks, and albeit not an industry folk now, earlier this month Reggie joined in on one of the zoom calls. Sure, Reggie no longer is part of Nintendo of America but, let's be real; he could easily be the middle man between Geoff and Doug Bowser to coordinate Nintendo content for TGA 2020. These are only thoughts to keep in mind just in case they actually do pan out. Lastly, although last year's The Game Awards may have been lackluster to many, that doesn't seem to be the case this time around.

Desert Croc

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4757-0799-4282
Man, I dunno. I really wish I could get myself hyped for TGA, but after last year’s disappointment, I just can’t bring myself to do so. And this includes not expecting a Smash reveal in the slightest.
I could be wrong and maybe we will get one (even better if it’s Crash) but nothing is giving me a reason to believe otherwise.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Man, I dunno. I really wish I could get myself hyped for TGA, but after last year’s disappointment, I just can’t bring myself to do so. And this includes not expecting a Smash reveal in the slightest.
I could be wrong and maybe we will get one (even better if it’s Crash) but nothing is giving me a reason to believe otherwise.
That's fair reasoning.

If Activision doesn't post any physical hints close to the VGAs, then there's little to no reason to watch the event. If they do, we can see it. Simple as that.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I feel like they wouldn't tease a Smash reveal beforehand though, because that's Nintendo's thing and I bet they're pretty strict on it. Even if there's no tease, there's the possibility of his Smash reveal.
That makes it even riskier to watch the VGAs. The best-case scenario would be if a new Crash/Spyro project gets teased and announced, then a Smash reveal comes out of nowhere. Kill two birds with one stone.

Last edited:

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
I definitely feel the same way. Best to find something complementary to do while watching the VGAs, especially if they end up like last year. Of course, we probably shouldn't fully expect something like smash, but a game announcement is plausible.

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
Here is my take: Crash 4 Switch port will launch the same month (more or less) as next Switch revision, just like Spyro port launched the same month ad Switch Lite.

PS5/Xbox Series will get their own version early spring that targets 4k/60 fps and higher settings (equivalent of ultra settings in the future PC port).

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
I'll leave this here.

inhales strongly through nostrils

Smells like somethin's cooking. With the Nintendo Switch revision (or upgrade, or PRO, however they end up calling it) pretty much being imminent, it would seem Activision and Toys for Bob are gearing up to have these new versions of Crash 4 ready pretty soon. In fact, in regards to the Switch revision, saw this earlier today. RGT 85 brings up a report which talks about the Nintendo Switch's revision/upgrade would come with a much more efficient screen.

cue buildup for Crash Smash reveal

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
Hey guys! I decided to finally come back to Smashboards after about a 10 month hiatus! Just thought I'd come here to continue my support for our famous marsupial! 😃 And like with Ryu Hayabusa, things seem to be going pretty good for Crash! I really hope that the Activision document leak is legit and leads to Crash finally coming to Smash!

Aerospherology

Smash Lord
Keep in mind though, it's more likely that the VGAs might instead reveal Crash's next game. His 25th anniversary is next year, and I doubt they'll just use a mobile phone game alone to celebrate that. Keep an eye out for any physical hints from Activision in the next coming month or so.

The only hint will be:
"It rhymes."

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
So I figured since I have a gut hunch that Crash will have Coco for some of his alt costumes, figured I would throw my hat into the ring and do some.

Crash: It is standard Crash Bandicoot we all know and love, Smashified.
Coco: Same, but for Coco.
Crash 2: Yellow and black color scheme with White Pants, invoking Cortex
Coco 2: Pink and blue color scheme referencing Tawna
Crash 3: Fake Crash styled skin, with Buck Teeth, Bushy Eyebrows, and Green Pants
Coco 3: White and Pink color scheme, Referencing N. Gin
Crash 4: Blue and white color scheme referencing Ripper Roo
Coco 4: Brown and blue color scheme referencing Dingodile.

As for the "Alts can't have different animations" The Byleths have different animations.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Well, we now have a somewhat official release window for the Crash mobile game.

D

Deleted member

Fake Crash has his green shorts. I repeat, Fake Crash has his green shorts.

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Mobile game looks fun. I mean, it's kind of what I expected from a Crash mobile game-narrow hallway, avoid obstacles, break boxes. Maybe it'll be the push that gets me into buying N-Sane Trilogy and seeing what the series is all about.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
As Crash says at the end of Crash Bandicoot 4: It's About Time,

"don't forget to follow KickassCoco and SMASH that adore button."

Well, just a word certainly means nothing, however there have been also other games that included similar "potential" hints.

Deltarune Chapter 1
Toriel
: "Remember that video-game you and Asriel used to play? What was it called...? Super Smashing Fighters?"
  • Super Smash Bros. Ultimate released the day after Deltarune Chapter 1 had gone live for a limited time (one day).
  • Sans was released as a premium Mii Costume for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.
Shantae: Half-Genie Hero [Jammies Mode]
Shantae
: "I just had the coolest idea! It's the perfect way to thank everyone who helped me get through my recent adventures! Not just Uncle... Or Sky, and Bolo, and Rottytops... But EVERYONE! I'm going to host the ULTIMATE SLUMBER PARTY!"
  • Shantae was included in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate's base game a Spirit.
  • Super Smash Bros. Ultimate's pitch in its first themed Direct was the famous line of "EVERYONE IS HERE!".

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The word "Smash" has been used ever since N. Sane Trilogy's "Activision presents a smashing blast from the past!". We honestly don't know how much of it is a coincidence.

Finally. Incidentally, the release window is sometime around June, which would be when Spring ends.

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
As Crash says at the end of Crash Bandicoot 4: It's About Time,

"don't forget to follow KickassCoco and SMASH that adore button."

Well, just a word certainly means nothing, however there have been also other games that included similar "potential" hints.

Deltarune Chapter 1
Toriel
: "Remember that video-game you and Asriel used to play? What was it called...? Super Smashing Fighters?"
  • Super Smash Bros. Ultimate released the day after Deltarune Chapter 1 had gone live for a limited time (one day).
  • Sans was released as a premium Mii Costume for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.
Shantae: Half-Genie Hero [Jammies Mode]
Shantae
: "I just had the coolest idea! It's the perfect way to thank everyone who helped me get through my recent adventures! Not just Uncle... Or Sky, and Bolo, and Rottytops... But EVERYONE! I'm going to host the ULTIMATE SLUMBER PARTY!"
  • Shantae was included in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate's base game a Spirit.
  • Super Smash Bros. Ultimate's pitch in its first themed Direct was the famous line of "EVERYONE IS HERE!".
You know, sometimes I see evidence and say, "Could be something, could be nothing." But with all the stuff we have for Crash, I'm not sure if I can say that any longer. He seems very likely right now.

Top Bottom