• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Bandicoot Returns (and It's About Time!) Crash's Nitro-Fueled Smash Thread

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
That's not a bad list honestly (despite Shantae being my most wanted). But I feel like Waluigi isn't happening whereas Ryu, Crash and Geno are more likely to be coming.
Yeah as someone who would love to see Waluigi in Smash, considering he's my most wanted first-party character, I just accepted long ago he probably won't get in in this installment.

But that's fine with me considering Crash and Geno, two of my other most wanteds, seem like some of the most likely characters rn, so I would still flip my s***.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
That's not a bad list honestly (despite Shantae being my most wanted). But I feel like Waluigi isn't happening whereas Ryu, Crash and Geno are more likely to be coming.
In regards to Waluigi's AT having been openly acknowledged in a Direct, that's usually not a good sign. Even if the unscheduled Mario 35 tournament is for a Mario character.

But even without him I still got :ultkrool: and :ultbanjokazooie: as some of my biggest wants so far, so I won't feel bad about it.

Last edited:

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
I wrote this on the Ryu Hayabusa thread, but I'll write it here too 😃

Anybody got any predictions for the Game Awards this year? I'm feeling a little crazy at the moment, so I'm predicting both Crash and Ryu for a double reveal at TGA 2020 like Hero and Banjo got for E3 2019 👍 👍 👍

I'll gladly take the L if I'm wrong. Whether it's neither, one or the other, or none at all.

MattX20

Smash Hero

Anybody got any predictions for the Game Awards this year? I'm feeling a little crazy at the moment, so I'm predicting both Crash and Ryu for a double reveal at TGA 2020 like Hero and Banjo got for E3 2019 👍 👍 👍

I'll gladly take the L if I'm wrong. Whether it's neither, one or the other, or none at all.
I don't think we're going to get a Game Awards reveal this year. Right now, my eyes are focused on the tournaments, with the current Challenge Cup/North America Online Open ending later today and that both of the DLC fighters for Pass 2 were revealed after the conclusions of similar tournaments this year

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

I don't wanna get my hopes up for TGA given last year, but Joker's reveal means I can't rule it out. I will say, if we did get a reveal, I doubt it'll be a double reveal. That might be a little too soon...

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I don't think we're going to get a Game Awards reveal this year. Right now, my eyes are focused on the tournaments, with the current Challenge Cup/North America Online Open ending later today and that both of the DLC fighters for Pass 2 were revealed after the conclusions of similar tournaments this year
Speaking of which, isn't it a bit strange that the Mario 35 tournament event is still yet to be scheduled? It should be easy for them to do that.

Rural_Juror

Smash Apprentice
There's no way they'd reveal two characters at the same time with a year to go on the pass.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569

Right now, I really do think Geno is going to be CP8 for numerous reasons, but at the same time I also struggle to determine whether or not he would be "TGA Material".

I'll say this, if we really do get CP8 this month right around when the tournament ends, then I will be a 100% firm believer its Geno. If we are indeed getting a character revealed at TGA, then my prediction will be Crash.

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
Right now, I really do think Geno is going to be CP8 for numerous reasons, but at the same time I also struggle to determine whether or not he would be "TGA Material".

I'll say this, if we really do get CP8 this month right around when the tournament ends, then I will be a 100% firm believer its Geno. If we are indeed getting a character revealed at TGA, then my prediction will be Crash.
I.... forgot about that Mario 35 Tournament honestly. I don't really pay attention to the competitive Smash community. I guess that's why I got all of those replies about the Mario Tournament scheduled for December in this thread, as well as Hayabusa and Shantae's threads... Oops 😅

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
There's the theory that the reason for said delay is that FP8 is a Mario character like Geno, which could explain a few things as to why the tournament has been delayed to December
I really doubt they announced a Mario tournament before hand as a tell to a Mario character showing up later on. It's more they just shifted the entire Mario celebration to fit with the delays of the major Mario content and they wanna have different little events through the celebration period that they more or less have slated to end in March 2021. There are very rarely tells like this in Smash and in no way do I think the Mario tournament is a big enough priority that it's delay is a big deal as long as it hits within the Mario 35 time window.

Besides, I think TGAs is the earliest possible reveal for Challenger Pack 8 (which if its there, I expect someone like Crash or of pretty notable size), and even then, I realistically expect January 2021.

Rural_Juror

Smash Apprentice
I'd like to think a Game Awards reveal could happen because I really want another Sakurai Presents where we know who the character is going in. The last one we had was Terry, basically.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

So any counters you got for this guy everyone?
…and until Crash 4 (which didn't help), his marketing in Japan had incredibly bare bones effort put into it.
Said marketing also gave us the Crash dance, which Naughty Dog then used in all their games after.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord

Whether people like Crash Bandicoot or not, most have to admit that he probably makes the most sense out of any of the available candidates and absolutely has a lot going for him, Which is why he constantly tops polls.

I've said it before and I'll keep saying it again. Crash Bandicoot is probably the only available character (Especially 3rd Party) that would actually leave me shocked more if he didn't make the cut than if he did.

Last edited:

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
I don't wanna get my hopes up for TGA given last year, but Joker's reveal means I can't rule it out. I will say, if we did get a reveal, I doubt it'll be a double reveal. That might be a little too soon...
I'll say what I posted in the Ryu thread:

On the flip side, if there HAD been a reveal at TGA 2019 it would've been, ya know, Byleth. Perhaps Nintendo knew that such a boring typical reveal would be poorly received at such a huge cross platform event, and wasn't the best way to show off their DLC. Then again, maybe I'm giving Nintendo too much credit lol. There may have been another Big N "reason" why it didn't happen that I can't understand.

I feel my explanation is still likely though. TGA just keeps getting bigger and bigger, and it would be unwise to not use a platform that arguably gives them just as much if not more exposure than their own E3 event. This likely will be the last time they can show something at TGA Smash related too if everyone is still going to be released by December next year. In other words, if they have something exciting to show us then they will, or at least they ought to.

Reminds me of that GameFAQS post featured on BestGuyEver's K Rool Smash inclusion montage. Same level of arrogance. It reads like a guy that has had his expectations shattered constantly, so he has to convince himself something is practically impossible in order to not be disappointed.

I might come back with specific counter points later, but I'm honestly not even sure it's worth it.

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom

BestGuyEver, when you browse this thread for posts for the Crash video if he makes it in, please use this and Man Down Under.

Seriously, these arguments are weaksauce and it’s basically a bait thread. Best to ignore gamefaqs outside of Vergeben.

edit:ninjad by Brother AJ Brother AJ

Last edited:

Faso115

Smash Lord
Modern Crash doesn't do as well because gacha has taken over Japan lul.

Also, before Spiderman PS4, the best selling western videogame was Crash Bandicoot so i think he is still notable enough there.

Also lul at the ballot argument. Of course a character from a dead franchise would do horribly

Last edited:

Desert Croc

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4757-0799-4282
Yeah, none of those arguments hold weight. They can all be debunked with the DLC characters that have already been revealed

-Activision doesn’t put enough games on the Switch

Persona has yet to get a single mainline game on a Nintendo console.

-He did poorly in the ballot

So did Terry, and Joker didn’t even exist during the Ballot. People treat the poll as if it’s a deciding factor when it plays little to no part in how the characters are chosen

-He’s current games aren’t selling well in Japan

OK? That doesn’t change the fact the the original three games are some of the best selling western games in the country, which is more than what can be said about a lot of other western characters. Also, you’re telling me that Banjo had enough presence in Japan to get in despite having no games coming out, but Crash, who is still getting games, isn’t?

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I'm not sure if this has been asked before, but what do you guys think Crash's "gimmick" should be if he were to get included?

I think Crash could have some sort of mask gimmick that could work in one of two ways. One way this could work is that this could work like the older Naughty Dog games, where Aku Aku changes in to a more orange color, resulting in him being more powerful. However, if someone were to attack Aku Aku, he will change back to his original color, and if attacked again, he will disappear. But if he gains all of the Aku Aku's power, he can turn invincible for a short period of time. The way you can gain power from Aku Aku is by breaking Aku Aku crates that will appear occasionally during the match, which is how you get Aku Aku back. With Aku Aku, you are more stronger depending on what color he is, and you're gonna need him because Crash uses Aku Aku for a good portion of his moves, which is why its important to have Aku Aku in battle with you. I personally like this idea as masks are an important gameplay element of the Crash series, but as I said, I have another idea.

My second idea for a mask gimmick is utilizing the quantum masks from Crash 4. I think this could work like Shulk's Monado Arts, where Crash can select from the five quantum masks of his choosing. Using Lani-Loli can allow him to spawn a random item in the match. However, Crash will only be able to spawn one item. I think this mask can also be able to auto-deflect projectiles as well. Using Akano can allow Crash to hover in mid-air for a short period of time. I think this mask should only be used when in need of horizontal recovery, as this mask might be useless in actual battle. Using Kapuna-Wa will essentially work like Bayonetta's Witch Time, where Crash can slow down time for a short period of time. I'm honestly not sure how Ika-Ika could work but I think instead of how this mask works in the original game, I think instead what this mask could do in Smash is effect the gravity of the opponents by either increasing or decreasing their falling speed. To balance this gimmick out, I think this could be a Wonderwing scenario where you can only use these quantum masks once per stock. Their will also be a meter right above Crash's icon, indicating that he can only use these masks for a limited time, just like Shulk's Monado Arts. I actually really like this gimmick as well, and either of these mask gimmicks could work really well for Crash.

Or, Crash could have no gimmick at all as well, since some DLC characters don't necessarily HAVE to have a gimmick like Byleth, but Sakurai did state that gimmicks will be a huge draw for DLC and I think its really fun to come up with your own gimmicks. I would love to hear what you all think of this!
I'd be pretty disappointed if Crash focused on the masks from Crash 4. In part because I havnt yet played it, but also because it just isn't established enough to be so prominent. If Crash somehow got in after the mutants game, and focused on a mutant based mechanic, it also wouldn't feel like Crash. I cannot think Sakurai would do it this way. Though... wonderwing was odd...

Dude, that should be a no-brainer (mainly because his spins reflects more things in the N. Sane Trilogy combined than the examples you listed).
It's been many years- but if I had been asked in 2001 what a 'Ganondorf' moveset would have included, reflecting projectiles would have been near the top of my list.

If it is just a reference then that kind of worries me... Why do that if a character is coming to Smash? Idk. I'm tired of not knowing!
I think Sakurai does it because this is a celebration of gaming, and he doesn't see a character as the only viable homage.

Last edited:

Starlight Liger

Smash Journeyman
I not only support Crash for Smash, I expect him to be the final western representative.

Crash Bandicoot has a lot of elements going for him. He's popular in both the West and in Japan, the N'Sane Trilogy has been released on Nintendo Switch and there's been a couple of Game Boy Advance titles of his series. He's also the closest we will get to a Sony representative being in Smash Bros with the technicality of Naughty Dog being responsible for developing the original trilogy despite the series itself being owned by Activision. There's also the questionable lack of release for Crash Bandicoot 4: It's About Time on Nintendo Switch... which makes for the perfect cross-promotion synergy for a hypothetical port if he gets confirmed for Smash. Hero and Byleth were revealed at a time when their series of origin released new content so I expect a similar treatment for our Marsupial mascot.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I mean, what's the harm though, really? It's keeping the conversation going, and I want to see this thread get bigger!
Yeah, but there's better ways to do that, like wondering which developer would make the next Crash game, whether Spyro will get one soon at all, suggesting what improvements Toys For Bob or whomever else could do for the next major Crash game, or even discuss about what villains could be featured in Crash On The Run.

Anyway, we'll find out if the Mario 35 tournament pops up tonight. If not, the mystery remains as we get closer to the New Year's deadline.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
Yeah, but there's better ways to do that, like wondering which developer would make the next Crash game, whether Spyro will get one soon at all, suggesting what improvements Toys For Bob or whomever else could do for the next major Crash game, or even discuss about what villains could be featured in Crash On The Run.

Anyway, we'll find out if the Mario 35 tournament pops up tonight. If not, the mystery remains as we get closer to the New Year's deadline.
I mean it's all good content in my eyes. I feel a new Spyro isn't far off honestly. I'm also interested in whether anyone on here wants to give us a review on Crash 4? Maybe a pros and cons list? Good lord I want to play that game.

QQS

Smash Lord
For me Crash and Geno are 100% playable. Geno is my most wanted, by the way.

Then big chances on: Hayabusa, Lloyd, Rayman, Dante, Doomguy

Medium chances: Waluigi, Porky, another okemon, another Zelda rep, another Sonic rep

Difficult but can happen: Isaac, Skull Kid, Sora

This is just my opinion and I believe Crash & Geno are 100% Full Fighters!

Top Bottom