• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Bandicoot Returns (and It's About Time!) Crash's Nitro-Fueled Smash Thread

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
https://zembillas.blogspot.com/2020/07/new-crash-bandicoot-coming-oct-2-2020.html

Well, it looks like the game has officially gotten Zembillas' blessings.

It's been a long time coming...While the N. Sane Trilogy was praised by Naughty Dog alumni for successfully bringing back Crash, this is the first time in years that Zembillas praised a fully-original Crash game he's had no involvement with. That's big.

Edit: According to an interview in IGN, Crash 4's mix of platforming and story mirrors what was initially intended for the very first game.
https://www.ign.com/articles/crash-...-mario-became-his-own-bandicoot?sf125913444=1

Last edited:

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
I may not know Crash very well yet, but I forgot to mention that I support Crash, and I want him to be playable.

As a reminder:

PSA: Please ignore all my post and topics that were created before the COVID-19 pandemic. My opinions and thoughts have had major changes since the pandemic initiated. My behavior has now improved and I will not cause anymore trouble from now on.

All my posts from before the pandemic are now all outdated.

D

Deleted member

I made my first ever Spirit Board, and it's about Crash!

Template: https://twitter.com/SSBU_Octane/status/1196527185030500352?s=20
Not trying to sound rude, but does Spyro HAVE to be there? I get Crash and Spyro are basically siblings and cameo in each other's stuff, but Spyro isn't a Crash character. At best, he's going to be a Mii hat as a part of Crash's Mii costume lineup to me personally. I don't have anything against him, it's just that I feel people throw Spyro in there when it comes to anything with Crash in Smash just for the sake of it.

I also think Tiny should be an Ace spirit by the way

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Not trying to sound rude, but does Spyro HAVE to be there? I get Crash and Spyro are basically siblings and cameo in each other's stuff, but Spyro isn't a Crash character. At best, he's going to be a Mii hat as a part of Crash's Mii costume lineup to me personally. I don't have anything against him, it's just that I feel people throw Spyro in there when it comes to anything with Crash in Smash just for the sake of it.

I also think Tiny should be an Ace spirit by the way
I get that, but I wanted to share a tiny (no pun intended) little something for Spyro fans.

(And also, I made Tiny a Novice under the impression that he upgrades to his Wapred self.)

D

Deleted member

I get that, but I wanted to share a tiny (no pun intended) little something for Spyro fans.

(And also, I made Tiny a Novice under the impression that he upgrades to his Wapred self.)
Alright, but I still can't help but feel that whenever people do that, they think "Yeah! Let's cram Spyro in the Crash stuff cause why not???"

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Alright, but I still can't help but feel that whenever people do that, they think "Yeah! Let's cram Spyro in the Crash stuff cause why not???"
I don't think Haohmaru's ever been playable in a King of Fighters game (from what I can find, the closest are games like Capcom vs. SNK 2 or Neo Geo Battle Colosseum), and yet he's on Terry's spirit board. There's some leeway for this sort of thing.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Overall, what they do for the side DLC character/series representation varies. They can do like Megadoomer Megadoomer said, or add nothing else from the company at all (:ultjoker:, and then there's:ultbanjokazooie:'s series being the only non-Nintendo-owned Rare property, although Cuphead/Studio MDHR are also under Microsoft).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I don't think Haohmaru's ever been playable in a King of Fighters game (from what I can find, the closest are games like Capcom vs. SNK 2 or Neo Geo Battle Colosseum), and yet he's on Terry's spirit board. There's some leeway for this sort of thing.
Isn't Terry supposed to represent SNK as a whole though, and not just Fatal Fury and KOF?

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Technical question for someone more familiar with Smash (framerates, workability, and all).
Would it be possible to balance a Crash that could continually be spinning? Meaning, that pressing the spin button constantly could keep him in his tazmanian attack? Something along this line (which allows a slight hovering down if he does it from a distance) could help him have a distinguished style that makes him more unique to add.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
In any case, it's kind of common knowledge that Crash and Spyro are seen like brothers, in terms of IPs (heck, back in the day they often had demos for each other's games included). I don't think they'd suddenly decide to lump in Pitfall and Call of Duty in Crash's spirit set for no apparent reason other than because they're Activision-owned.

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BualF4Tmizc
>Walter Mair is so dedicated to the project that he actually got a bone flute for the Dino Dash level
>N. Gin's new mech is called the Weapon Of Mass Percussion
They're clearly having a ball here.

Edit 2: Cortex Strikes Back:

Well, this sounds promising...

Last edited:

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
Technical question for someone more familiar with Smash (framerates, workability, and all).
Would it be possible to balance a Crash that could continually be spinning? Meaning, that pressing the spin button constantly could keep him in his tazmanian attack? Something along this line (which allows a slight hovering down if he does it from a distance) could help him have a distinguished style that makes him more unique to add.
Considering the Death tornado itself isn't infinite, I imagine they'd just port Meta Knight's Mach tornado with slightly different frames (notably, no special fall). I honestly thought of how many characters Crash could borrow moves from and change it up considering how many characters do that!

Thing I worry about the most is how Crash will feel. I never imagined Banjo's playstyle to be like, well, that. So sometimes I have concerns that Crash's moveset will look cool, but end up not as fun to fight as / against. Maybe it's just dumb worrying on my part.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Considering the Death tornado itself isn't infinite, I imagine they'd just port Meta Knight's Mach tornado with slightly different frames (notably, no special fall). I honestly thought of how many characters Crash could borrow moves from and change it up considering how many characters do that!

Thing I worry about the most is how Crash will feel. I never imagined Banjo's playstyle to be like, well, that. So sometimes I have concerns that Crash's moveset will look cool, but end up not as fun to fight as / against. Maybe it's just dumb worrying on my part.
As far as I see, Crash leans on the "mainstream cult series" end of things, and such franchises do tend to result in more experimental gameplay in Smash, not to mention the whole "Big in Japan" aspect, so I think he'll turn out fine.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
My issue with Spyro getting something in Smash is moreso the fact that Crash and Spyro are on completely opposite spectrums when it comes to Japanese popularity.

Crash Bandicoot was a cultural phenomenon in Japan at the time of its release. Crash Bandicoot was the first Western game franchise to earn an award in Japan, Crash had tons of merchandise and promotion in the Japanese market, just look at those commercials. Hell, Crash even had his own THEME SONG in Japan. You know the iconic Crash dance? Its origin didn't come from Crash 2, but it came from the Japanese commercials of Crash 1, because of how popular those commercials were they decided to make that an animation for Crash used in his game. I think it is completely fair to say that Crash's popularity in Japan is nothing to laugh over and its clear as day Crash had a HUGE fan following over their. And according to that Smash 2 poll I shared with you all a few pages ago, Sakurai knows who Crash is and it shows that even Japan viewed him as a rival to Mario and Sonic.

As for Spyro, I would go as far as to say Japan disliked the guy. Spyro 1 released their and for some strange reason, they decided to mess with the camera apparently to "appease" to the Japanese audience, but it ultimately made the Japanese audience dislike the game because of the odd change. After Spyro 1, (I believe?), Spyro hasn't had anymore of his games released their and I think that greatly affects his chances of getting really ANYTHING in Smash. If Spyro only had one game release in Japan that didn't even do that well, then I can't see how Spyro of all characters would be on Nintendo and Sakurai's minds for getting included, especially since Spyro's cousin Crash has far more popularity, both for Smash and the gaming scene alike, and that is why I will continue to say Crash is more likely of getting included.

I'm not trying to downplay Spyro at all and I love his games too, but it is just my opinion that Crash is more likely, given all of this.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
My issue with Spyro getting something in Smash is moreso the fact that Crash and Spyro are on completely opposite spectrums when it comes to Japanese popularity.

Crash Bandicoot was a cultural phenomenon in Japan at the time of its release. Crash Bandicoot was the first Western game franchise to earn an award in Japan, Crash had tons of merchandise and promotion in the Japanese market, just look at those commercials. Hell, Crash even had his own THEME SONG in Japan. You know the iconic Crash dance? Its origin didn't come from Crash 2, but it came from the Japanese commercials of Crash 1, because of how popular those commercials were they decided to make that an animation for Crash used in his game. I think it is completely fair to say that Crash's popularity in Japan is nothing to laugh over and its clear as day Crash had a HUGE fan following over their. And according to that Smash 2 poll I shared with you all a few pages ago, Sakurai knows who Crash is and it shows that even Japan viewed him as a rival to Mario and Sonic.

As for Spyro, I would go as far as to say Japan disliked the guy. Spyro 1 released their and for some strange reason, they decided to mess with the camera apparently to "appease" to the Japanese audience, but it ultimately made the Japanese audience dislike the game because of the odd change. After Spyro 1, (I believe?), Spyro hasn't had anymore of his games released their and I think that greatly affects his chances of getting really ANYTHING in Smash. If Spyro only had one game release in Japan that didn't even do that well, then I can't see how Spyro of all characters would be on Nintendo and Sakurai's minds for getting included, especially since Spyro's cousin Crash has far more popularity, both for Smash and the gaming scene alike, and that is why I will continue to say Crash is more likely of getting included.

I'm not trying to downplay Spyro at all and I love his games too, but it is just my opinion that Crash is more likely, given all of this.
Oh, really? That's fair, I suppose.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
After Spyro 1, (I believe?), Spyro hasn't had anymore of his games released their and I think that greatly affects his chances of getting really ANYTHING in Smash.

Spryo 2 was released there back in the day, Reignited came out there last year as well.

That being said as probably the biggest Spyro fan on the sight he is not happening before Crash, or hell even with him. It is after at best.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Spyro 2 had a Japanese release, and that wasn't well received either.
Spryo 2 was released there back in the day, Reignited came out there last year as well.

That being said as probably the biggest Spyro fan on the sight he is not happening before Crash, or hell even with him. It is after at best.
Ah I knew I was forgetting a game. Either way, Spyro's popularity in Japan is practically non-existent compared to the millions of Crash fans their are in Japan.

AinsOoalGown

Smash Apprentice
For the spirit battles, Im sure it was already talked about but I'd wager it would go something like:

Coco: Crash and Isabelle
Neo Cortex: Dr Mario with all the gun items and the jetpack
Tiny: Incineroar with damaging jumping in one of the Star Fox stages
Dingodile: K Rool in Summit
N Trophy: Ganondorf, not sure of the stage, with the timer item
Ripper Roo: faster, lighter Lucario with explosive items
Polar and Pura: small Incineroar and maybe Duck Hunt since dlc isnt used in other dlc spirits, with Gogoat in the stage to represent riding
Aku Aku and Uka Uka: two Skull Kid miis
Oxide: Iggy in MK stage

Perkilator

Smash Legend
For the spirit battles, Im sure it was already talked about but I'd wager it would go something like:

Coco: Crash and Isabelle
Neo Cortex: Dr Mario with all the gun items and the jetpack
Tiny: Incineroar with damaging jumping in one of the Star Fox stages
Dingodile: K Rool in Summit
N Tropy: Ganondorf, not sure of the stage, with the timer item
Ripper Roo: faster, lighter Lucario with explosive items
Polar and Pura: small Incineroar and maybe Duck Hunt since dlc isnt used in other dlc spirits, with Gogoat in the stage to represent riding
Aku Aku and Uka Uka: two Skull Kid miis
Oxide: Iggy in MK stage
Here's some of the ones I was thinking:

Dingodile: Wolf AND K. Rool
N. Tropy and Oxide: Mewtwo (the former because they both use energy-based attacks and the latter because Mewtwo's kind of like an alien)
Ripper Roo: Greninja, because the latter's a blue jumpy create with a covering around some part of its body
Polar: Have Banjo be there if you DO buy him (since it kinda works for Mii Costumes)

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Last I checked, Metroid wasn't a hot hit in Japan either. :ultsamus::ultzss::ultridley::ultdarksamus:

Oh, not to mention the fact that the Spyro GP wasn't skipped over at all in the Japanese version of Nitro-Fueled, even though the trilogy wasn't widely available there.

Spyro's Western base would do more than make up the difference in regards to Smash support.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Last I checked, Metroid wasn't a hot hit in Japan either. :ultsamus::ultzss::ultridley::ultdarksamus:

Oh, not to mention the fact that the Spyro GP wasn't skipped over at all in the Japanese version of Nitro-Fueled, even though the trilogy wasn't widely available there.

Spyro's Western base would do more than make up the difference in regards to Smash support.
Personally, I think the difference their is that Metroid is a Japanese franchise and while the series isn't the most successful in Japan, Metroid's popularity in America is what easily makes it one of Nintendo's flagship franchises.

When we're talking about Western characters, chances are Nintendo is going to gravitate moreso towards Western characters that are popular in their home country. Banjo & Kazooie, aka the only character from a Western franchise to be in Smash, was actually decently popular in Japan at the time of its release and like in that Smash 2 poll, it shows Sakurai is aware of the popularity of the duo and lo and behold, we finally get them in Smash. As I talked about yesterday, Crash is also decently popular in Japan and Sakurai knows who Crash is. I personally think its less likely for characters like Spyro, DOOM Slayer, and Master Chief because while these are all gaming icons in their own right, these franchises haven't created really any buzz in Japan to the point that I feel these characters wouldn't be on Sakurai's radar.

I may just be talking out of my *** right now, and I do understand that realistically, any video game character is eligible of getting included, but that is just my two cents.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
In any case, playable Western character inclusion is still a very new thing as far as Smash's concerned. The main reason :ultbanjokazooie: got in at all despite their series being very inactive was due to fan support, owned by a different console manufacturer no less, so if that much can be done for a dead series that's only got the thinnest link to Japanese ones, imagine what demand would do for other Western IPs.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
In any case, playable Western character inclusion is still a very new thing as far as Smash's concerned. The main reason :ultbanjokazooie: got in at all despite their series being very inactive was due to fan support, owned by a different console manufacturer no less, so if that much can be done for a dead series that's only got the thinnest link to Japanese ones, imagine what demand would do for other Western IPs.
Fair enough and that is why I do believe characters like DOOM Slayer, Master Chief and Rayman stand a chance, because while their franchises aren't popular in Japan at all, they have fan support to boot and that is why I am 99% sure Sakurai is aware of those requests. As for Spyro, I feel like he is a fairly niche request and their are FAR more support for Crash then him atm. Adding Spyro before Crash almost feels like adding Conker before Banjo. Like, something about that doesn't seem right to me.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Not saying you've done this, but Wrath of Cortex gets a lot of flack for pretty much no reason. Sure, it was a very "safe" sequel in terms of gameplay, with very few of the new mechanics becoming game changers, but it's far from a step down from the original trilogy. Heck, Wrath of Cortex, along with the The Big Adventure / XS and N-Tranced are seriously overlooked even though they work as Crash games.

Maybe I'm being a little grumpy, but it's very rare to see anyone talk about those 3 games with any form of praise for maintaining the already good formula, sans Caddicarus.

In relation to Crash 4, what are the chances the Elementals finally return in a Crash game? It always feels weird that they were one-offs when their existence is the reason for natural disasters.
IDK if it's been addressed, but one of the problems in addition to level design, lack of innovation and overall stale gameplay was that they shilled Crunch way too hard. You only ever fought him, previous bosses got reduced to stage hazards in the Monkey Ball levels. It's not fun to fight 5 iterations of Crunch unless there's more than 5 bosses. Bosses in Crash 1-3 have personality and charm, and while they're usually easy they're also fun. We also get a rematch from the previous boss in the next game; it would've been much more fun to get a rematch against N. Tropy or Dingodile instead of Crunch x5. Rokko-Crunch wasn't fun, LoLo-Crunch was a reskin of N. Gin in Warped and WaWa-Crunch was similar to N. Tropy, but not enough to really be an issue. They're going with the motif of masks powering up a boss, and they never bothered to have Uka Uka power up Crunch. Uka now goes 2 whole games unfought despite being the Greater Scope Villain.

Also, why do we need to relearn the same 5 moves from Warped instead of letting us keep those from the start and giving us 5 brand new moves based on the masks we defeat? Tiptoing was both underutilized and uncreative, we have to beat the game to sprint again, the warproom layout was a copypaste of Warped's, and the formula didn't advance any further: CSB introduced Crystals and Warped Rooms; Warped introduced new powers and Time Trials while streamlining the hub; WoC introduced...Crunch, and even after the 100% ending he joins our side and...we can't play as him. All that build up and shilling, and he gets locked behind a future game.

WoC was too underwhelming, with a way too heavy focus on Crunch and nothing that improved the formula. It's like an Echo Fighter of Warped.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
I will say, though. Wrath's music blows the PS1 trilogy's out of the water. Not only in variety, but also in general composition and memorability. I'd say it's second only to Twinsanity out of the console platformers. While I'd hesitate to say the PS1 trilogy had bad music, it's pretty great, in hindsight I can only remember a few pieces from the original trilogy since they share samples and thus blend together. N. Sane did a lot to help out but I prefer the way the PS1 version sounds.

IMO if they ever decide to revisit the two Traveller's Tales console platformers (after IAT, of course, and maybe a few new games), re-imaginings instead of remakes are the way to go. Address the issues that people have with Wrath (too many vehicles, not enough boss variety, didn't spice up the gameplay enough) and Twinsanity (very, very rushed, with that le), keep what their fans (like me) love, and let them be what they never could. (The GBA games could just get "standard" remakes, but I feel like those are for after the next new game after IAT.)

It helps that PS2-era Crash is "my Crash" so I don't see them as lesser entries compared to the PS1 trilogy. In fact I would say both are better than the original (though that's the bar to being acceptable). Objectively speaking though, neither of them hold up well compared to the PS1 trilogy, especially now that they've gone N. Sane.

As for the Elementals, well they're among the characters who couldn't get in Nitro-Fueled (to be fair, they're masks so they wouldn't be drivers, but they aren't even invincibility masks), so I don't have high hopes for their return. I do feel like an Elementals vs. Quantum Masks clash would be incredibly cool to see (elements vs. physics), especially if executed well, but I feel like they're probably not going to come back short of an outright Wrath remake/re-imagining.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I will say, though. Wrath's music blows the PS1 trilogy's out of the water. Not only in variety, but also in general composition and memorability. I'd say it's second only to Twinsanity out of the console platformers. While I'd hesitate to say the PS1 trilogy had bad music, it's pretty great, in hindsight I can only remember a few pieces from the original trilogy since they share samples and thus blend together. N. Sane did a lot to help out but I prefer the way the PS1 version sounds.

IMO if they ever decide to revisit the two Traveller's Tales console platformers (after IAT, of course, and maybe a few new games), re-imaginings instead of remakes are the way to go. Address the issues that people have with Wrath (too many vehicles, not enough boss variety, didn't spice up the gameplay enough) and Twinsanity (very, very rushed, with that le), keep what their fans (like me) love, and let them be what they never could. (The GBA games could just get "standard" remakes, but I feel like those are for after the next new game after IAT.)

It helps that PS2-era Crash is "my Crash" so I don't see them as lesser entries compared to the PS1 trilogy. In fact I would say both are better than the original (though that's the bar to being acceptable). Objectively speaking though, neither of them hold up well compared to the PS1 trilogy, especially now that they've gone N. Sane.

As for the Elementals, well they're among the characters who couldn't get in Nitro-Fueled (to be fair, they're masks so they wouldn't be drivers, but they aren't even invincibility masks), so I don't have high hopes for their return. I do feel like an Elementals vs. Quantum Masks clash would be incredibly cool to see (elements vs. physics), especially if executed well, but I feel like they're probably not going to come back short of an outright Wrath remake/re-imagining.
Ehh I'm not fully on the same page sadly. I liked a lot of WoC's music, don't get me wrong but the ps1 games had great tracks as well. I'll list my faves from Crash 1 - Twinsanity, but honestly WoC had an Electronic Dance Music flair, which I do appreciate.

Honestly they all have some really standout tracks, with Warped having the least of the 5, since they often remix the main theme and just have low key music.

As for the potential for a remake OR reimagining, we should leave that stuff behind. I'm done with hoping that Twinsanity gets a prooer development when they can take everything they need to learn to make a good successor. All these do-overs instead of taking the lessons learned to make new stuff is annoying. We wouldn't even be getting a Crash 4 if they kept up this remake stuff, and as much as I loved Twinsanity I'm ready to move forward.

Also, thanks to Checkpoint and King Chicken, they could stick anything in a kart and it would be fine. KC and Checkpoint don't even interact with the steering wheel, so masks floating in a driver seat should be fine too. Probably less work to animate as well.

Last edited:

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
IDK if it's been addressed, but one of the problems in addition to level design, lack of innovation and overall stale gameplay was that they shilled Crunch way too hard. You only ever fought him, previous bosses got reduced to stage hazards in the Monkey Ball levels. It's not fun to fight 5 iterations of Crunch unless there's more than 5 bosses. Bosses in Crash 1-3 have personality and charm, and while they're usually easy they're also fun. We also get a rematch from the previous boss in the next game; it would've been much more fun to get a rematch against N. Tropy or Dingodile instead of Crunch x5. Rokko-Crunch wasn't fun, LoLo-Crunch was a reskin of N. Gin in Warped and WaWa-Crunch was similar to N. Tropy, but not enough to really be an issue. They're going with the motif of masks powering up a boss, and they never bothered to have Uka Uka power up Crunch. Uka now goes 2 whole games unfought despite being the Greater Scope Villain.

Also, why do we need to relearn the same 5 moves from Warped instead of letting us keep those from the start and giving us 5 brand new moves based on the masks we defeat? Tiptoing was both underutilized and uncreative, we have to beat the game to sprint again, the warproom layout was a copypaste of Warped's, and the formula didn't advance any further: CSB introduced Crystals and Warped Rooms; Warped introduced new powers and Time Trials while streamlining the hub; WoC introduced...Crunch, and even after the 100% ending he joins our side and...we can't play as him. All that build up and shilling, and he gets locked behind a future game.

WoC was too underwhelming, with a way too heavy focus on Crunch and nothing that improved the formula. It's like an Echo Fighter of Warped.
I honestly found the story in WoC to be super weak too. I never found level design to be a problem though, most of the platforming stages are fine to me. Oddly, N-Tranced is the game that got new power ups that don't appear in any other Crash game, the Super Slide and the High Jump. Given, I still think WoC as a game plays fine, it just really needed more than it's celebrity voice identity. It's why I call it the safest sequel ever. It barely tries to be its own entry, with the only really noteworthy thing from it being the addition of Coco having a unique playstyle (which now only gets small references in N. Sane / IAT).

Crunch to this day has been underutilized to the point where I question why he even exists besides being Crash's Wario/Knuckles. The one time he's playable was N-Tranced in the Monkey Ball-ish levels, which isn't much different from Crash's in WoC. In some ways, younger me hoped for a Crash game that had some sort of gameplay like Sonic Adventure (branching story with different playstyles) or Sonic Heroes (basically what Twinsanity did with Crash, but with the other two Bandicoots).

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Good news! The next State of Play seemingly will have more Crash 4 info.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I was actually considering skipping this "State of Play" because of lack of Playstation 5 info, But I kind of keep forgetting that Crash 4 is a PS4/Xbox game that's releasing just before next gen's launch in November.

At least I have a reason to watch it now and I'm looking forward to it.

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I honestly found the story in WoC to be super weak too. I never found level design to be a problem though, most of the platforming stages are fine to me. Oddly, N-Tranced is the game that got new power ups that don't appear in any other Crash game, the Super Slide and the High Jump. Given, I still think WoC as a game plays fine, it just really needed more than it's celebrity voice identity. It's why I call it the safest sequel ever. It barely tries to be its own entry, with the only really noteworthy thing from it being the addition of Coco having a unique playstyle (which now only gets small references in N. Sane / IAT).

Crunch to this day has been underutilized to the point where I question why he even exists besides being Crash's Wario/Knuckles. The one time he's playable was N-Tranced in the Monkey Ball-ish levels, which isn't much different from Crash's in WoC. In some ways, younger me hoped for a Crash game that had some sort of gameplay like Sonic Adventure (branching story with different playstyles) or Sonic Heroes (basically what Twinsanity did with Crash, but with the other two Bandicoots).
Yeah, it hits me hard because as a kid I liked WoC a lot, but the more I played it, the more I yearned for something greater. They played it safe and there's more platforming than Warped, but it's missing that wow factor. I would've appreciated a Super Slide and High Jump, and the one time they let us play as Crunch for 5 mins in Mind Over Mutant felt like something we should've explored yeeeaaaarsss ago...

Ah, the heartaches us Crash fans had to endure...

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I was actually considering skipping this "State of Play" because of lack of Playstation 5 info, But I kind of keep forgetting that Crash 4 is a PS4/Xbox game that's releasing just before next gen's launch in November.

At least I have a reason to watch it now and I'm looking forward to it.
I think it's gonna be one of those games that will come out on the current and new gens similar to how Persona 5 was for example

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Personally I don't really find WoC soundtrack very good, in fact I'd say the only reason it is not the weakest in the series is because Crash Purple and Boom Bang exist. To me it mostly just sounds like generic techno or something. There are a feel highlights but imo they aren't even comparable to the standards of the series.

D

Deleted member

I haven't listened to the Wrath of Cortex soundtrack, but in general Crash has never really had music that's good. It's not bad, but I don't want to listen to it because it's just so boring and forgettable, and this holds true especially for the original trilogy. It says a lot when the best music in the CTR remake (a remake of a game I consider to have the best soundtrack of the PS1 games) is from Nitro Kart, or completely new.

Top Bottom