• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Bandicoot Returns (and It's About Time!) Crash's Nitro-Fueled Smash Thread

zumaddy

Smash Ace
C'mon, man, don't grill me over semantics. I'm super confident in him is all. It's looking great and I think Crash fans can rest easy.
Hardly grilling, just seen too many fanbases say "our character is a lock" only to end in disappointment.

Odi132

Smash Rookie
Hey guys I know many of you here might be curious about the MandyCan situation with the Crash leak and I thought I might try to provide some more insight on it.

So obviously the big question is, has he been just deleting his tweets with incorrect info? I talked to him and helped him for over an hour today and he was fully compliant in trying to prove that he didn't delete any tweets. He replied and sent images of any outcomes far too quick for him to have time to edit any of them correctly. Unfortunately we couldn't find any definitive way to check that so if anyone actually knows how that can be proven please let me know. But although I'm not saying it's definitely true or anything like that, for me personally, I have quite a bit more faith that he might actually be legit. Again if anyone can help me find out how to prove no tweets were deleted, he says he's happy to do it to prove his legitimacy.

On top of that he completely doubled down and said there's no chance FP6 is not Crash which would be a weird thing to do as other fake leakers are usually a lot more vague but obviously he could just be doing all this to seem more legit in the meantime.

I definitely suggest to still stay sceptical until we have hard evidence but just wanted to shine some more light on this situation as there's been a lot of misinformation going around unfortunately

Odi132

Smash Rookie
If this were real, Mandy would probably be hooked up to a car battery right about now.
If Nintendo and other companies went after every text "leak" that turned out to be true, it'd be way too easy to figure out what's coming.

Images are obviously a different story.

I still have no clue if MandyCan is telling the truth but if other prominent leakers can publically give accurate leaks with little to no consequences it's definitely not enough to disprove a potential leak by saying Nintendo would have it taken down if it were true.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
If Nintendo and other companies went after every text "leak" that turned out to be true, it'd be way too easy to figure out what's coming.

Images are obviously a different story.

I still have no clue if MandyCan is telling the truth but if other prominent leakers can publically give accurate leaks with little to no consequences it's definitely not enough to disprove a potential leak by saying Nintendo would have it taken down if it were true.
The issue isn't it potentially being a leak but how much attention it has gotten. Lots of places have now covered it and Nintendo's typically very serious about leaks, especially if they imply something happening soon. Remember, Sabi got their C&D over the THREAT of leaking Nintendo's E3 Direct, not because they actually did. Nintendo was up their ass lightning fast and I feel like Mandycan would be in a similar World of ****™ if it were a legit leak. I have other reasons for doubt too including GameXplain shrugging their shoulders at it when a vast majority of the rumors they bother covering wind up being true.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
What do you mean my line of thinking has no basis? I wasn’t trying to say the leakers were right, nor was I saying I thought my theory was correct. It was just merely a thought. That is all.

I also wasn’t trying to create, nor did I mean to try and make false hope myself.
There's nothing to say they are linked together, it just seemed like a means to add credibility to the leaks. If that's not the case, then you can ignore my post entirely.

Odi132

Smash Rookie
The issue isn't it potentially being a leak but how much attention it has gotten. Lots of places have now covered it and Nintendo's typically very serious about leaks, especially if they imply something happening soon. Remember, Sabi got their C&D over the THREAT of leaking Nintendo's E3 Direct, not because they actually did. Nintendo was up their ass lightning fast and I feel like Mandycan would be in a similar World of ****™ if it were a legit leak. I have other reasons for doubt too including GameXplain shrugging their shoulders at it when a vast majority of the rumors they bother covering wind up being true.
It's totally fine if that's your opinion on it, at the end of the day we're all just speculating but (and I'm not saying Sabi's necessarily a liar) that C&D statement was controversial in the sense that a lot of people still question is legitimacy so I personally don't really take it into account.

On top of that I've spoken to some of the guys at GameXplain and one thing I can say almost for certain is that the majority of the time they get things right is just from the fact that they love Nintendo and their job is to research and report on their games and plans, etc constantly. Obviously if you did that all the time you'd hope you'd get good at predicting some upcoming things. I know John in particular gets labelled as a "leaker" but if he really did have insider knowledge and was telling people in their videos they would be under the same scrutiny as other leakers as you mentioned.

It's definitely possible that they're lying and secretly have insider information but if you actually watch a lot of their videos most of their predictions, even if their not too far off the mark, are usually not 100% correct.

It's only been a few days since this MandyCan situation took off so even if there was going to be consequences for the leaking it still takes time to find the identity and information of the individual leaking and in all likelihood they would probably spend more time trying to plug the leak in general first.

That's just my 2 cents on the situation anyway but ultimately none of us have any idea what's going on until Nintendo tells us lol

Akg0001

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Akin01
Crash would help to sell Fighters Pass 2 like hot cakes. And they need a character who is wanted everywhere after Byleth.

Crash is the perfect choice for FP1 if you think about it. You cant do wrong with him. At E3 do double reveal again, 1 character for America/Europe and 1 for Japan (like Hero & Banjo) and Fighters Pass 2 is guaranteed to be a success again!

Flyboy

Smash Hero
CrashyNews takes the most logical stance towards this whole issue: a neutral one.

Best to assume the possibility that while it could be unlikely, it could also very well be a Cassandra situation.
I'm just gonna say that it's really nice to see an actual site show some actual restraint complete with bolded disclaimer about how Mandycan isn't credible. After seeing how badly rumors and leaks surrounding Smash have been covered this entire cycle it's a breath of fresh air.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
There's nothing to say they are linked together, it just seemed like a means to add credibility to the leaks. If that's not the case, then you can ignore my post entirely.
Add credibility to the leaks? That isn’t what I was trying to say, so that is not the case. Like I said, it was just a mere thought; nothing more. Probably a mere guess, too, but it wasn’t supposed to be something groundbreaking or through the roof.

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman
Crash would help to sell Fighters Pass 2 like hot cakes. And they need a character who is wanted everywhere after Byleth.

Crash is the perfect choice for FP1 if you think about it. You cant do wrong with him. At E3 do double reveal again, 1 character for America/Europe and 1 for Japan (like Hero & Banjo) and Fighters Pass 2 is guaranteed to be a success again!
I wish I had your optimism at this current time but with the first pass ending on a sour note and Doomguy being most likely deconfirmed, I need to see the first character of this second pass in order to have any faith in it. I still believe Crash is very likely (and he is my second most wanted character) but other than that, I can't get excited yet.

Yokta

That's Yoktastic!
I've said it before and I'll keep saying it until it happens: If Crash gets in, Spyro should get in as well. A double reveal featuring Crash alongside literally anyone else besides Spyro would be a tragic missed opportunity in my opinion.

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman
Forget my pessimism. I want to give of list a songs that I think will come with Crash. Eleven seems to be the general maximum (aside from the ****ton of songs that came with Terry.

N. Sanity Beach
Hog Wild
Heavy Machinery
Hang Eight
Diggin It
Rock It
The Time Twister
Toad Village
Future Frenzy
Crash 3 Final Boss
Crash Cove

Rock It is my personal favorite from the trilogy but I could also replace it with Dingodile's boss theme.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I will say though, the start of every reveal pattern is usually a big deal. I expect that to be no different this year.

:ultpeach::ultbowser::ultmetaknight::ultvillager::ultmegaman::ultmewtwo::ultinkling::ultjoker:

I'm just gonna say that it's really nice to see an actual site show some actual restraint complete with bolded disclaimer about how Mandycan isn't credible. After seeing how badly rumors and leaks surrounding Smash have been covered this entire cycle it's a breath of fresh air.
Yeah, it's good to see the equivalent of "don't immediately believe him, but keep it in the back of your mind in case it's actually true".

Though it does help that Crashy has been covering Nitro-Fueled leaks enough to have a subjective view on the topic. And treating them as rumors, in case Activi-ninjas snoop around.

Crash is most definitely coming and it's one of the only characters most people don't bother debating anymore. PlayStation icon. Former rival of Mario. One of the biggest Western characters. Wanted since Melee. GG. In my opinion, he's virtually inevitable, especially in the light that Crash has been "on Nintendo's side" since the early 2000's and Activision/Blizzard has been a BFD since, well, forever. People want it. Nintendo knows people want it. It's not a matter of if but when.

On that topic, I think it will be later than sooner. Crash screams E3 reveal, not a random Direct drop. Plus, with the whole Mandycan thing, it's reached a saturation point. Too many eyes are now on it and too many outlets have covered it. Yes, Activision sucks at keeping secrets but I feel like, if Crash was soon, Nintendo or Activision would have blown Mandy's ass to the Stone Age. Nintendo took the possibility of Byleth leaking with grave seriousness, do you think this would fly, especially more than a week out and everyone talking about it? This is Crash Bandicoot we're talking about. If this were real, Mandy would probably be hooked up to a car battery right about now.
Yeah, even without Mandy's claims, there are definite signs that point towards him coming. Crash is such a big deal that they would need all the time in the world to do him and the stuff he comes with justice, possibly to the point he could get as much as :ult_terry:. So in that sense, we can expect a :ultjoker:level of preparation before he's playable, but the situation being a complete reversal than in 2018 since we wouldn't know he's coming until the last minute. For a some time now, I've had a feeling that the end of NF support, the next Crash game's reveal, and an Ultimate appearance will all get a planetary alignment in June, which is a very important month for Crash.

In regards to Activision keeping secrets, it makes one wonder if we'll get a joke codename in a future Ultimate datamine, like the DriverJoe and WhoCouldIBe we get right now.

At least the supposed leak will be old news by the time E3 rolls around, so it might be a good thing for this tale of Boy Crying Wolf to finish this early.

Last edited:

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
I take it this thread wouldn't have any issues with Coco being a Crash ALT, right? I think it would be a reasonable thing to do since Crash and Coco play the same in the games.
See, I'd be fine with Coco being Crash's alternative character. Though, she does kind of do his attacks differently, like the body slam being a ground pound. I know this is personal bias, but given how much easier it would be to just edit Crash's model into Trash/Fake Crash Bandicoot, I'd prefer they went with him. My main reason is if Crash uses Aku Aku in his moveset, Fake Crash could easily use Uka Uka. It doesn't exactly make sense, but it'd be a cool way to represent a "bad guy" from Crash, filling a similar role to Dark Pit or Dark Samus without being a seperate character. We know Fake can use Crash's abilities because of his boss fight in N-tranced, so no animations differences are required.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Let's not kid ourselves: if Crash is going to get an alt of an alternative version of himself, it would have to be his Japanese Crash Bandikuu design.

I mean, the Titans games were skipped over there, most likely because the tatooed redesign was impossible to cutify.

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman
Let's not kid ourselves: if Crash is going to get an alt of an alternative version of himself, it would have to be his Japanese Crash Bandikuu design.

I mean, the Titans games were skipped over there, most likely because the tatooed redesign was impossible to cutify.
Fake Crash (AKA Trash Bandicoot) was inspired off of a japanese bootleg Crash plush and Fake Crash was also pretty prominent in Japanese commercials. So, a Fake Crash alt would also work.

Nesysli

Smash Apprentice
Coco should be an Echo fighter imo. Since Crash is such a big deal I believe he could be the exception. Plus in the Smash roster we really don't a prominent anthropomorphic female animal character. Some could argue Wendy Koopa or Libre Pikachu, but I don't think that's no where near definitive enough. Plus Sakurai and team can do wonders, I'm sure whether she was an alt. or an echo, they could make it work. Though I have a dark premonition that she'll just be a background character, like characters in Terry's stage.

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
Fake Crash (AKA Trash Bandicoot) was inspired off of a japanese bootleg Crash plush and Fake Crash was also pretty prominent in Japanese commercials. So, a Fake Crash alt would also work.
I totally forgot to mention that! Trash is probably more popular than Crash; he even is a special character in the Japanese version of Crash Bash, whereas we didn't have him at all in our version. If Coco was an echo though, I think that'd be kind of cool as well.

Last edited:

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
Anyone think if Crash gets in that Fake Crash will be an costume?
Yeah, that's kind of what I was implying, since we know costume characters, like the Koopalings or Alph, can have: different weapons (Koopalings show this), different idle stances (Byleth has a different stance depending on the chosen gender), and different victory animations (the inklings do different victory dances). Fake Crash can have his dance!

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I take it this thread wouldn't have any issues with Coco being a Crash ALT, right? I think it would be a reasonable thing to do since Crash and Coco play the same in the games.
Personally I'd prefer her as an echo given she has her own idles ,dance and she attacks with a spun kick instead of an er... Tazmanian Lariat? But I'd take her as a gender alt

SonicMario

Smash Master
I think at most Crash would get the Japanese cover look that KirbyWorshipper mentioned. Then again, Nitro Fueled oddly never added Japanese crash as a skin (Or at least not yet). Coco would likely be a background character and/or a spirit on the Spirit Board.

Until we see more 3rd party echoes, it seems only 3rd party franchises Sakurai are particularly fond of will get one. As we saw that Castlevania and Street Fighter got them where franchises with more popular choices that would make perfect sense to echo like Sonic (Shadow or even Tails if they went the Sonic the Fighters route) or Megaman (Proto Man) did not. (Though Ken's arguably a special case in not only Sakurai being a big street fighter fan, but Ken is like THE echo fighter)

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I think at most Crash would get the Japanese cover look that KirbyWorshipper mentioned. Then again, Nitro Fueled oddly never added Japanese crash as a skin (Or at least not yet). Coco would likely be a background character and/or a spirit on the Spirit Board.

Until we see more 3rd party echoes, it seems only 3rd party franchises Sakurai are particularly fond of will get one. As we saw that Castlevania and Street Fighter got them where franchises with more popular choices that would make perfect sense to echo like Sonic (Shadow or even Tails if they went the Sonic the Fighters route) or Megaman (Proto Man) did not. (Though Ken's arguably a special case in not only Sakurai being a big street fighter fan, but Ken is like THE echo fighter)
I think Echoes only really make sense in the base game, since those are intended as a final bonus for early adopters with enough leftover devtime. DLC is a whole different ballgame, since the tendency is more towards making sure players get their money's worth with newcomers coming with unique gameplay styles. The only DLC clones we had last time were explicitly fan-favorite veterans. :ultlucas::ultroy:

As far as third party DLC secondary characters go, it's alts or bust until further notice. :ulthero:

Last edited:

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
Wanted to show y'all my Crash figure.
20200123_205828.jpg

He says... well actually he didn't feel like talking. He looks like he really wants to be in Smash! :love:

Last edited:

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
So apparently it was leaked to Papagenos that Crash is #6 by someone that predicted the Cuphead Mii costume:

He mentions the "Twitter Trick" as a good reason to be cautious of the Mandy leak, but then informs us of the next leak shortly after.

Idk, I'm trying to contain myself, but things are looking up. I can already hardly fathom Smash Ultimate in it's current state, but if Crash got in? Jesus...

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
So apparently it was leaked to Papagenos that Crash is #6 by someone that predicted the Cuphead Mii costume:

He mentions the "Twitter Trick" as a good reason to be cautious of the Mandy leak, but then informs us of the next leak shortly after.

Idk, I'm trying to contain myself, but things are looking up. I can already hardly fathom Smash Ultimate in it's current state, but if Crash got in? Jesus...
Good but like he mention the background of cuphead was black rather than white but at the same time that could be a beta and changed to black definatly would like to see a closeup of that cuphead leak thing to make sure the letters are identical or not

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
This might be off topic, but... are there two Fake Crashes? I was researching his other appearances, and it seems like blue pants Fake Crash already exists in the Crash universe, but green pants Fake Crash comes from another universe entirely???

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
This might be off topic, but... are there two Fake Crashes? I was researching his other appearances, and it seems like blue pants Fake Crash already exists in the Crash universe, but green pants Fake Crash comes from another universe entirely???
To keep it simple...

The various Crash developers didn't keep track of whether their games fit into continuity or not, especially among the spin-offs, so it eventually devolved into a mess.

Fake Crash having inconsistent pant colors is the tip of the iceberg.

Last edited:

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Fake Crash had Green pants in Crash N. Tranced (the second game on the GBA). It's still the same character, but with redesigned pants.

There is also "another Crash" that is red, has sharp teeth, is a bit bigger and wears dirty blue pants (idk how to describe that color well) who is called Evil Crash and his canon origins are unknown as far as I know. He debuted in Crash Twinsanity.

Aaaand there's yet another Crash that is white with dark green pants, which is Carbon Crash. He appeared in Crash of the Titans to be the character used by the second player and had identical moveset to Crash. He also appeared in the Ps2 version of Mind over Mutants for the same purpose, but is replaced by Coco in the Wii and I believe the Xbox 360 version.

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I'm sure some you already know by now because I have seen a couple of you posting there, But Crash Bandicoot looks like he's the main topic of discussion in the Newcomer/DLC discussion thread.

To believe there are some people on there who don't think Crash Bandicoot is worthy of a roster spot in Super Smash Bros Ultimate.

Let's go in there and knock some sense of into these people.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
I'm split on whether Crash would fit more being either Challenger Pack 6 (being announced on the hopefully soon-to-come Nintendo Direct), or Challenger Pack 7 or 8 (either of which might be revealed during E3 2020s Direct). I could see the reasoning behind him being CP 6 that he would help the Fighters Pass Vol. 2 immensely (sales $$$), thus giving fans yet another taste of what Vol. 2 could entail. On the other hand an E3 2020 reveal (if he were either CP 7 or CP 8) would be more of a "red carpet" treatment for him, and rightfully so being pretty much the realization of bringing all three late 90s console wars mascots together in one same game. I'd be fine with either choice but personally, I'd prefer CP 6.

*whines like a little kid* BUT I WANT CRASH NOW!!!

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I'm sure some you already know by now because I have seen a couple of you posting there, But Crash Bandicoot looks like he's the main topic of discussion in the Newcomer/DLC discussion thread.

To believe there are some people on there who don't think Crash Bandicoot is worthy of a roster spot in Super Smash Bros Ultimate.

Let's go in there and knock some sense of into these people.
Nah, just let people have their opinions, I don't think there's anything to gain from brigading another thread. As someone who frequents the thread I can safely say that most of the prominent members in it won't change their minds, so it'd likely just become a big old mess.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So, any spirit ideas?
Inidividual Nitro Squad spirits, and when you assemble them all you can upgrade them into their Motorsport renders in a group spirit.

Nah, just let people have their opinions, I don't think there's anything to gain from brigading another thread. As someone who frequents the thread I can safely say that most of the prominent members in it won't change their minds, so it'd likely just become a big old mess.
Yeah, and I'd much rather avoid any general threads nowadays, those don't end well for me at all. Only defend the bandicoot if haters decide to crash land here.

Also, settle down YsDisciple YsDisciple , at least we still got content actively coming for Nitro-Fueled right now. ;)

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
So, any spirit ideas?
I wrote up some spirit ideas many pages back. Keep in mind this was before Nitro-Fueled released:

I got bored so I thought of some Crash related spirit battles. Assume all stages are hazardless:
  • Dr. Cortex: Either Dr. Mario (yellow alt) or Wario (yellow overalls) on Halberd (I couldn't decide which of the two would better represent Cortex). Has a jetpack and a ray gun equipped. [VS. Cortex (Crash 1)]
  • Nitrus Brio: A giant DK (green alt) on Hyrule Castle 64. You first fight some green Kirbys and then a giant green DK appears. [VS. N Brio (Crash 1)]
  • N. Gin: Olimar (grey alt) on Lylat Cruise. A giant R.O.B. appears as his ally and apples will also spawn. Defeat R.O.B. to win. [VS. N Gin (Crash 2)]
  • N. Tropy: Ganondorf (blue skinned alt) on Frigate Orpheon. Timer item has a high chance of spawning. [VS. N Tropy (Crash 3)]
  • Crunch: Incineroar (default alt) on Spear Pillar. POW block, Freezie, Fire flower, and Gust Bellows have a high chance of spawning. [Crunch Time]
  • Rusty Walrus: K. Rool (blue alt) on Summit. Stamina battle where the player has 10% and K. Rool moves very fast and deals extra damage. To win you must stay alive for 1 minute. [Rusty Walrus]
  • Nina Cortex: Isabelle (grey alt) on Luigi's Mansion. Likes to use fishing rod a lot. [Rooftop Rampage]
  • Victor and Moritz: Two small Falcos (blue and green) on Venom. A giant grey Dark Samus appears as an enemy while yellow Dr. Mario (or Wario) and grey Isabelle appear as allies. To win you must defeat Dark Samus but you'll lose if any of your allies are defeated. [VS Evil Twins]

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I don't mind people having their opinions and I can respect that, If you don't like Crash then that's fine I'm not forcing anyone to like him, Hell there's even some characters I like that I don't think should be in Smash and some that I don't like that do make sense.

But for some to say that he wasn't a big deal, Didn't make an impact in the video game landscape or treat him like a mediocre video game character is what drives me a little nuts.

Everyone there likes to bring up the rivalry between Nintendo Sega and Sony (Mario vs Sonic vs Crash) and even though everyone say he wasn't as big as the other 2 (Which I can agree with) we already have most of gaming's biggest icons already in Smash, There isn't that much "Star Power" left out there as the bar has been lowered and Crash is one of the biggest characters left that absolutely makes sense and would fit right in.

If Crash doesn't make sense then who does?

Last edited:
Top Bottom