• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Balance Tournament(Sunday July the 13th)

Flok

BRoomer
BRoomer
Okay guys, today I bring some important news affecting the whole tournament event. I have talked with my Kenpo Karate teacher about hiring one of the gyms the school offers for us Kenpo Karate members for the Balance Tournament. I told him that almost 40 people have signed up for my tournament so far. But considering we both knew well that the gyms are large enough for 200 or more people to fit in, I went on. I told him that I would like to use the afternoon and the evening from 1 random day, and pretty much likely that day will be a saturday.

The teacher(Romano is his name) didn't seem to know the price for hiring a gym for 1 day, but he thought of about 100 euros at the very least. He said that he will investigate on it and other important issues and mail me the results one day. I also told him not to hurry, since the tournament will happen in 2007. We both came to a possible conclusion that it would be wise to let people enter the tournament with 10 euros each, 5 euros for the tournament's prize, and 5 euro for hiring the gym itself, but this is all possible. If people do not agree with this then I will think of something different.

And that is pretty much the news for now. I really need to hear the comments and suggestions for this news from everyone signed up so far, so that we can see a clear view of how everyone thinks about this. So please, reply to this topic once more.

Flok

BRoomer
BRoomer
I live in Maarssen, to the west of Utrecht, southeast of Amsterdam, so inbetween two big cities. I will add you to the list Yuna, but are you a foreigner or a Dutch person?

Another idea I had just now is to hold the tournament at the new Dr Games shop. The shop is now 3 times larger than most of you guys can remember from a past Dr Games SSBM tourney, so this might work too, although the space is much less than a gym. But at the same time I am 99% sure it will cost me nothing to hold a tourney at Dr Games.

And about hiring the gym for more than 1 day, well, 2 days probaply will cost me 200 euros, so i'm not sure if I would like to pay that much money.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Me, Helios, Ek and Nihonjin will have our own SSBB tournament a few weeks before it comes out when my game magazine writer friend gets it for reviewing ;) ;) ;)

So hah! ;) (Let's hope Nintendo sends it out to the reviewers beforehand >_>')

Nihonjin

Striving 4 Perfection
BRoomer
Yeah lets hope so....XD

*on a side note*

My sig >>>>>>>>>>>>> Yours...
yes...you...no not him...you..You know who I'm talking to..

The_Doug

Smash Ace
The gym sounds like the best idea if there is going to be 40+ people. 200 euros is quite cheap for two days , at least from a UK smasher's point of view. Also how many hours per day is this?

If you want to keep it a lot smaller 16-20 ppl then stick with the house and Dr Games idea. Only thing about the Dr Games tourney that I didn't like was I couldn't take the money, or even get change, hehe.

Marc

Relic of the Past
BRoomer
Yeah, it really depends on how big you want it to be. Asking a small entrance fee is fine btw, so I wouldn't worry about that too much.

Jeffz0r

Smash Champion
MrSilver said:
We certainly intend to get our hands on it as early as we can, which will probably mean importing. And we will be playing the **** out of it and come kick all your ***** at the first tournament.
And you think you're the only one who will import it? _O-

Jeffz0r

Smash Champion
I doubt it. The reason that worldwide releases are so rare, is because it's hard to rent so many airplanes at the same time, which is also very expensive.

Flok

BRoomer
BRoomer
I updated the front page with a little banner I made. The "Balance" and "Tournament" don't look as the same size because of that enormous B but they are actually the same size. Of course, I am open minded for better banners for this tournament, but in the mean time check out my banner. :)

Flok

BRoomer
BRoomer
Well, here's an important question in the mean time until Brawl has rocked our world by playing it for the first time. Should I try to unlock all characters and stages in Brawl before the tournament first, or should I just expect from everyone to just play in the tournament with a few of the secret characters and stages unlocked and all of the starting characters?

As for myself, I will TRY to be spoiler free from secret characters especially, since the suprise of seeing them for the first time in Brawl itself is very fun to experience. But, this could be a problem for some of us who could have unlocked every character already and wants to play with the super secret character in Brawl, like Mr.Game&Watch from SSBM.

So, what are your suggestions for this? I myself just want to play the tournament with not exactly every character and stages unlocked. I feel that in this way, it could feel much more like a beginning tournament to SSBB, and that later on, when say, Mr.Silver hosts his first Brawl tournament, that we could then start the first real tournament of Brawl in the Netherlands.

But of course, I will pay extra attention to one thing only at my tournament: Balancing it. So, I will play a lot of Brawl in the first week that it is released and then I will try to ban some items or stages. But I will not ban any character, since that's WAY TOO EARLY, seriously.

Expect to see some very noobish rules in this tournament before Mr.Silver's tournament. -.-

Helios

BRoomer
BRoomer
Well, I say you unlock everything. Just having some secret stages on would be stupid. Having no secret stages on would be stupid, as you'd prolly unlock new ones during the tourney -_-

As for banning items and stages in the first week. Don't.
Especially not stages. I can see certain items not being suitable for tournament play, but stages shouldn't be decided upon until after a long time of playing.

Jeffz0r

Smash Champion
I'd say unlock everything too, I will try to do so aswell.

but stages shouldn't be decided upon until after a long time of playing.
Unless they're retro stages, like Yoshi's Island 64 is in SSBM.

Flok

BRoomer
BRoomer
Rawr, so no one like me has a sense of excitement when you discover the secret characters all by yourself without a guide?

Well, since the Japanese will probaply get the game first, people will import the game and unlock everything, and when the NTSC version has arrived there will almost definately be english guides available, so that's one problem less.

I guess that discovering a new secret character is one exciting moment, but discovering everything after you have played with that new character is even more fun, so I think that on the release date, I will also be looking for guides on how to unlock all characters, stages and items. Or not, we shall see. ;)

EDIT: I'm not so sure about turning off every item right away. I say we give them a ****ing chance again, since it's been too long I had an item based tournament. Of course, items like Heart Container and Maxim Tomato will definately be turned off.

Marc

Relic of the Past
BRoomer
Well, you can still unlock everything yourself. Just do it before the tournament. =p

Items weren't balanced in SSB64, items weren't balanced in SSBM and items won't be balanced in SSBB. They can add to the fun though. So the item issue really depends on how serious you want your tournament to be.

Linkje

Smash Lord
I'm against items but if you turn them on also turn off the brawl item then everybody would pick a fast character and run towards it (same for pokeballs)

Jeffz0r

Smash Champion
Flok said:
I say we give them a ****ing chance again, since it's been too long I had an item based tournament.
Actually, it's been too long since you've been to any tournament at all XD

Down A

Smash Journeyman
don't know if there is still a vote but i say we play with the basic characters...
it's great discovering them on your own, foremost if you don't know who's to come next.

i must have tried shooting those credits at the end of melee about 50 times convinced that if i'dd get enough i would unlock another character or something and it was great

Helios

BRoomer
BRoomer
So, what makes you think someone won't discover those characters when you're not watching? v_v
You'd still get the whole thing spoiled.

Marc

Relic of the Past
BRoomer
Wtf, how can this even be a point of discussion!? o_o If you don't wanna get 'spoiled', just be sure to unlock everything before the tournament. Geez... :S

Down A

Smash Journeyman
that's the whole point...

i don't want to be sure i've unlocked everything because that would mean i'dd have to look it up on the internet and finding out for yourself is half the fun or at least something i'm looking forward to.

but i dont really care that much, don't think i will be able to control myself when the time comes concidering how infohungry i am right now about anything ssbbrelated.
and helios, you're right, things will get spoiled anyway so if i don't want to see it, i shouldn't come(but i probably will)

Flok

BRoomer
BRoomer
It would be nice to see a spoiler free guide on how to unlock everything, like this:

-Beat Adventure Mode with Wario on Hard for new character.

-Collect 500 coins in Coin Mode to unlock new coin based item.

-Visit the trophy room 50 times to unlock new feature.

-Play VS. Mode 100 times for new stage.

Just telling people what to do, then finding out by themselves who or what the new thing is.

Happosai

Smash Journeyman
put me on the list please, i'm dutch

i don't really care what they will change in brawl,

AS LONG AS THEY WILL REPLACE PEACH HER DOWNSMASH WITH SOMETHING USELESS

:embarrass

Top Bottom