• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Bakery - Realised I can still edit the thread title!

Hokori

Great King of Evil
Thanks for the connect Keitaro. I'm actually planning on entering my first tournament with a few friends of mine in April at UGA. It's going to be a huge transition from a casual to competitive player :roll:

I am finding it really hard to be satisfied with Brawl anymore. Maybe it due to the lack of people to play, but the difficult with melee is just so much more satisfying.

How long has everyone here been playing? I just realized that its been about 5 years almost since I started up with Brawl, and I feel like in all that time the first year or so all the difficult stuff was put away. After that it seems to have simply been building up experience against other people and nuances of characters. Almost 3 years with melee, and its always a challenge.

Maybe Falco just isn't doing it anymore lol

Hokori

Great King of Evil
I've been playing Brawl since its release casually, though I feel like it's a little late for me to get all competitive with it with a new Smash on the way. I play Brawl just about everyday with my roommates and some others, but I've grown tired of always winning easily. I guess my reason for continuing to play Brawl is to go to the next level with it. Might be a different feeling for you guys that have already been playing competitively for years though.

kismet2

Smash Ace
Hey guys =) this past weekend I went to Armageddon in Cincinnati, Ohio. I got 3rd overall and lost to Ally in winners finals 3-0 and Zinoto in losers finals 3-2. Other than that I played Mr. Eric(ICs game 1, Rob game 2), MJG(Mk game 1, Toonlink game 2), and Zinoto(all Diddy) in winners which were all 2-0. Kinda salty about the Ally/Zinoto loss but I know what I have to fix for next time. Regardless, good stuff and good games to them and everyone I've played!

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
Good stuff Kismet. I'm shocked you took a set off Zinoto cause he starts locks on Falco easily. I heard he got a lock almost every match in losers bracket though lol. Any reason why you travel to the Ohio area kinda often and not NJ/NY?

kismet2

Smash Ace
GG kismet !
Thanks =) I need to practice more. I'll get into it when my new controller comes in.

Good stuff Kismet. I'm shocked you took a set off Zinoto cause he starts locks on Falco easily. I heard he got a lock almost every match in losers bracket though lol. Any reason why you travel to the Ohio area kinda often and not NJ/NY?
Thanks haha I play the matchup with Hunter and I know some things that help alot. As for travelling out to NJ/NY, it would be money johns as far as plane tickets go. Also not many people from GA are willing to drive that far. I definitely wanna make it out to SKTAR though, I'm really hyped for it. =)

Hokori

Great King of Evil
Kismet, I responded to your notice about playing some of the other GA Brawlers. Whenever something comes up, just let me know, I definitely could use the experience.

kismet2

Smash Ace
I don't know if you'd be down, but I do play wifi so maybe we can do that. There's a GA tournament coming up soon called Bulldog Brawl. I'm not exactly confirmed yet but I'll know by this Saturday. You'll get to play players such as Reflex, Esam, Biglou, Player 1, and DRN. As far as I know they're all confirmed.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
That's a possibility, although the Wifi at my school isn't all that reliable. And yeah, that will be the first tournament I'm heading to along with a few friends of mine. Hopefully you can make it out as well, it'd be nice to get some friendlies squeezed in before the tournament. And I didn't know that Esam and Biglou confirmed, when I checked the thread for the tourney, I only saw Reflex, Player 1 and DRN's names listed as players that have confirmed.

kismet2

Smash Ace
Yeah Esam is teaming with Reflex, so that'll be a nasty team to play against. XD I talked to Biglou and he's not 100% confirmed. But as for everyone else, they are as far as I know.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
I'm only going to be participating in Brawl Singles so I won't have to endure their team onslaught haha. I wonder if Esam plans on doing singles as well, Falco has a hard time dealing with Pikachu because of that CG and Ice Climbers is a tough one for Falco as well right?

kismet2

Smash Ace
They are tough when in the right hands. Although, Falco has solid poking options like spaced jab1/2 and ftilt(can go into full jab to keep them out or reset back into jab1/2). Those alone can help you mess up their rhythm, which is good! If you space aerials properly then they can't shieldgrab you(SH retreating Dair and landing with retreating Bair as you land) Ftilt pokes can lead to separation and you have phantasm and other moves to put Nana in the air or to push/wall her offstage to lead in to a spike. Phantasm is also really good for getting where you need to go faster like if you Fsmash Nana and you want to follow it up, think of it as a teleport. =) Keep in mind though that if Popo sees this, he can intercept you with Utilt. However if you take advantage of the first fourth of the phantasm then you'll be fine.

Pikachu is a different story...you can do the same things as I've posted above but it's not that simple. What makes Pikachu remotely difficult is his movement and how he can get around so easily with QAC. With that, he can get away if he wants to, get in, or follow up. Nair and retreating Bair are both capable of hitting him out of it but not something that'll hit consistently. I don't know if I'll go Falco vs Esam, to be honest I might go Metaknight. We'll see when that times comes. ^_^

Hokori

Great King of Evil
Good tips Kismet, I'll be keeping that in mind, probably watch some videos as well.

I thought about using MK as a secondary..at the moment I'm considering Olimar though. But that's mainly because I like him as a character more =P

kismet2

Smash Ace
Thanks! Haha Olimar huh? He'd definitely help with the Pikachu matchup and Pikachu can't use electric attacks to knock off yellow pikmin. ;) I like using Metaknight/Snake because they have similar forms of pressure compared to Falco. Beware of ICs though, all I can really say is that purples go through blizzard.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
Haha well I really do wanna give Olimar a shot so I'll see how that goes once I'm able to train for awhile. With the two characters I'm using, if the ICs still prove to be problematic, looks like I'll need to pick up a character just to deal with them XD

Host Change

Smash Ace
NNID
HostChange
3DS FC
0147-1153-9132
I haven't really posted on here in a while but how are all my fellow Falco players doing?

Also while Bulldog Brawl is being discussed, I'll be there and I'm bring Huntsville. I'm really looking forward to the tournament.

kismet2

Smash Ace
Hey Ty. ^_^ I'm doing fine for the most part, aside from not being able to play Brawl. My hard drive messed up on me...but I'll practice when I can. Luis told me that you and Ben are staying with us tonight. Looking forward to seeing and playing you guys!

Hokori

Great King of Evil
Looks like we'll have some Falco rep for this tourney! I'll be new to the competitive scene but I'll be trying my best.

@Ty & Kismet - Hope you guys do well!

kismet2

Smash Ace
kasmit i didn't know that you shared an apt with luis lol

also come back and avenge yourself someday homie ;)
We're staying at his girlfriend's for the night. I wish I stayed with him lol but we're about 15 minutes away from each other, which isn't bad.

And don't worry Chi, I'm coming after ya. =)

Hokori

Great King of Evil
Well, I got sent to Loser's after my first set, won my next set, then lost the next. My first opponent was a Diddy Kong user by the name of Mahgnittoc, he destroyed me, 2-stocking both games. I've never played a Diddy Kong player before so it was rather overwhelming. Then I played Dos, and he used Toon Link and Marth against me. I 2-stocked both of those games. And at last, I played this G&W user AML. Game 1 was close, I felt as though I could have won if I never derped. As far as Game 2, he definitely had me there.

Overall, it was a great first time experience at a tourney. Tons of people using characters I've never played before ._.
At a good level anyway.

L3G1T

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1075-0861-7985
Nice work LDLM! That's a good first step towards the competitive scene. I'm needing to do a local myself and get some experience... :)

Hokori

Great King of Evil
Nice work LDLM! That's a good first step towards the competitive scene. I'm needing to do a local myself and get some experience... :)
Thanks! I'm already looking for the next local I can attend. Too bad there doesn't seem to be much going on around my area though :urg: Can't do much traveling at the moment so I'd be looking for tourneys in-state, like how The Bulldog Brawl was in my case.

L3G1T

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1075-0861-7985
Thanks! I'm already looking for the next local I can attend. Too bad there doesn't seem to be much going on around my area though :urg: Can't do much traveling at the moment so I'd be looking for tourneys in-state, like how The Bulldog Brawl was in my case.
Exactly in the same situation here. There's nothing going on in NV, unfortunately. Everything's in California! -.- I've been playing with some competitive players on Wi-fi, but of course...it's Wi-fi. What more is there to say?

Hokori

Great King of Evil
#TheStruggle

Finding the time to do all of this is another challenge due to college. But I'm definitely deciding to get more competitive with the game so any chances I can get I'll be taking. I just hope my community can get more of a spark for Smash, especially whenever Smash 4 comes out. Wouldn't want to be forced to head out-of-state the majority of the time to attend tournaments regularly.

Host Change

Smash Ace
NNID
HostChange
3DS FC
0147-1153-9132
Depending on what part of Georgia you live in, some of the Alabama tournaments may be a reasonable drive for you as well. Are you close to the Auburn area? If so, there's the Smiths Station & AUSOM tournament series. Not sure when the next one of either is but they have a few a year. Also if *******, GA isn't a long drive for you, Player 1 hosts tournaments almost monthly there.

Hey Ty. ^_^ I'm doing fine for the most part, aside from not being able to play Brawl. My hard drive messed up on me...but I'll practice when I can. Luis told me that you and Ben are staying with us tonight. Looking forward to seeing and playing you guys!
It was nice getting to see you again man. I wish we could have played each other more (and not on the laggy tv friday night lol) I only got to see part of your set against ESAM, but it sounds like you almost got him... I'm sure you'll get the win next time though.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
Depending on what part of Georgia you live in, some of the Alabama tournaments may be a reasonable drive for you as well. Are you close to the Auburn area? If so, there's the Smiths Station & AUSOM tournament series. Not sure when the next one of either is but they have a few a year. Also if *******, GA isn't a long drive for you, Player 1 hosts tournaments almost monthly there.
For school, I'm in Statesboro, Ga. Otherwise, I'm in ATL. From school, it's probably about a 4 1/2 drive to both *******, GA and the Auburn area. During the summertime, it'll be a different story though.

P.S. - Ah, Ty, I actually did see you at the tournament. We didn't play any matches together but you did play two friends of mine. Derp Caballero the ZSS user and SKID! the Snake user.

kismet2

Smash Ace
It was nice getting to see you again man. I wish we could have played each other more (and not on the laggy tv friday night lol) I only got to see part of your set against ESAM, but it sounds like you almost got him... I'm sure you'll get the win next time though.
Well I got 3-0ed by ESAM lol. I was close first game with it being last stock last hit. Second game was a two stock high percent, using falco again. Third game I went Metaknight and took him to last stock, 60ish percent. I love Falco and everything but I felt more comfortable going Metaknight lol. The chaingrab isn't nearly as bad and I have an easier time controlling the stage. Are you going to Top Games? Luis is confirmed and is willing to take me, hype!

As for the rest of my performance for Bulldog Brawl, I've beaten Reflex(Wario 2-1), DRN(ZSS game 1, Metaknight game 2). After I lost in winners finals, I lost to Reflex(Wario 3-2). I went Falco in all sets except vs. ESAM where I used Metaknight one game.

There's a tournament coming up called Top Games Throwdown 2013. Reflex let me borrow his Wii so I can get my skills up! I really want to win so I'm practicing hit confirms and shortcuts for Falco/Metaknight.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
There's a tournament coming up called Top Games Throwdown 2013. Reflex let me borrow his Wii so I can get my skills up! I really want to win so I'm practicing hit confirms and shortcuts for Falco/Metaknight.
Where's this Top Games Throwdown tournament at Kismet? Another thing, I think I might be interested in at least playing you on Wifi some matches. The lag shouldn't be anything major since we're in the same state I'd assume. I'll have to get accustomed to the play on Wifi vs offline, but I think I can manage.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
I'll see if I can make it out to that tournament. I'll already be done with finals so it's definitely a possibility. And sounds good, I'll give you my friend code sometime tomorrow and we can get in some matches whenever we're both good to play.

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
Random Phantasm info that you may or may not already know

No invincibility frames. Startup animation 15 frames. Dashing animation: 3 frames. On frame 2 of the dashing animation and 1 frame after the dashing animation ends a projectile is made with a hitbox that lasts for 3 frames each. Ending animation 39 frames. 20 frames of lag on the ground. 3 for landing from the air. You can cancel the attack anytime during the dashing animation.

Top Bottom