• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The B.C. Canada Thread

michael_li

Smash Ace
i aint *****in ;). if u can't tell, i'm helping victoria, helping francis + steve who text me askin about the situation cuz they have no idea what's going on. understand?

`dazrin

Smash Champion
Yakal, that's something that Eric Lee and I have yet to discuss, but I imagine that we'll have a better idea of that once we know exactly how many entrants we'd be getting.

So far, it seems to me that some people are going to have to fight to make it in bracket.

`dazrin

Smash Champion
Do we have an official count on entrants so far?

:phone:
35+ people will be coming to the event. Entrants are something we can't predict since some people will be entering some events, and not others, just showing up for friendlies/ mms, may have to drop out early, etc. There's too many things to factor in, but if you were looking for the rough number of people attending, I estimate 35-40 people will be there.

Violence

Smash Lord
It's obviously up to you guys.

If we get enough TV's that I think I can run bracket no problem, then no elimination, pools for seed(that way we can also run smaller pools without fear of elimination.

If we don't, I'm going to have to set up elimination pools.

`dazrin

Smash Champion
I honestly don't think a full bracket is going to work out considering the ratio of people expected to come and the amount of TVs we have available.

I'm thinking the most realistic way we're going to have to go about it is setting up elimination pools.
->I'd honestly rather have elimination pools in favor of a more smoother, cleaner, and more stream-friendly bracket. Also, the fact that we have multiple events running really convinces me that elimination pools are going to be the best way to do things.

KAOSN00B

Smash Cadet
Im in for for friday daze. And me and adam were talking about pools yesterday that goes into a 16 man bracket would be the best since it'd go way faster and people will still get a few games considering we have so many people & events.

Violence

Smash Lord
I don't think I will run a bracket of fewer than 32 people.

In my opinion, if it's 16 man bracket, it is significantly worth less for a lot of players to even enter.

Assuming we get like 48 people, 8 pools of 6, top 2 make it out, that's 32 people who got to play 5 matches and gg. We already have PR for BC and Washington, and the combined players who are coming from each region and traveling that far already tops 16, so people who are up and coming and who people want to see play(i.e. Terrorbird level, for example), have a good chance of just getting knocked out.

I want to avoid this scenario if at all possible, because these tournaments don't happen that often, and on top of that, people travel very far, spending significant amounts of money to come play. I want both a hype bracket, and for them to get their money's worth.

To me, a 32 man bracket is the way to go. 24 is very iffy and I will avoid it if at all possible, but in a time crunch, we will do it.

A 16 man? I refuse. I will never ever ever ever ever prioritize the stream over in person player experience, especially not at a local.

Let's not forget MITH4, we ran this:

In 3 hours. Everyone was on point, everyone cooperated, matches went fast, people waited on deck for the next matches to finish, there wasn't any durdling or inefficient wasting of time.

We did it once, we can do it again.

All I need:

People to cooperate with me when I ask them to play matches, or to get ready for matches(guys who did this at MITH4, you guys ****.)

If I assign you to be a pool captain, it means I think you ****, and I want you to take charge of making sure your pool moves along smoothly and finishes on time.

People to bring in setups and TVs. We ran MITH 4 off of like 10 setups, and that was pretty good. a 1:3 Setup to player ratio seems good, so if we can get like 16 TVs for this event, I think we're in a good spot timewise. This ratio is good because once we start getting into the later parts of bracket, more and more TV's fill up for friendlies, and usually the people who don't feel like watching can play.

Anyways, what I'm saying is that I'm pretty sure everything is well within our time constraints and completely doable as long as we're on point.

Yakal

Torquasm-Rao
Yeah you need to consider that at mith4 it was strictly melee and I was literally forcing people to sit down and play their matches lmao

but hey, hopefully this'll work out well and I would love to see a 32 man bracket.

edit: damn that tourney was **** lets do it again and starting to consider running melee tourneys on its own...for events like this anyway. We need the time and TV's

`dazrin

Smash Champion
is project m gonna be played along side melee?

No, they will happen at separate times, but the plan is for project m to finish around the time where Melee pools begin to happen. Brawl singles are scheduled to happen during Melee doubles, and PM singles is planned to begin midway through Melee doubles, or as Melee doubles are coming to a close.

Also, I agree that a 16-man bracket is WAY too low-- I have no idea where that idea even came from..? Let's give people a reason to be down here :)

I was thinking more of a 24 man bracket to be honest, but I think 32 might be okay if we have the time/ space/ equipment available. I really think that for this event, a 24 man bracket is going to be the most ideal way to do things.

KAOSN00B

Smash Cadet
If project m singles are during and after doubles for melee i guess ill join. For some reason i thought it'd be after melee singles lol. Thats my bad.

Top Bottom