• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The B.C. Canada Thread

Metà

Smash Master
but

I am

so go comb your kuribo hair you betch
sheeeit we bout to go DEEP
Going to fc you say? I'm thinking about it!
yeah mannn

i was looking at the info for it and i'm pretty hype. the only thing that has me kind of irritated is that i have to choose only one side event to enter, which means i have to decide whether i want to play project:m or 64 :/

Violence

Smash Lord
You were saying something about stopping off some place overnight and then riding Boback's d|ck the rest of the way there?

:phone:
Yeah, it's really convenient because it saves money and Boback's **** is always hard.

Uh.... Evan... As far as I know from my friends in Wisconsin, there're like 5 smashers in all of Minnesota. They don't even have a thread on the boards. Do you know them personally?

Metà

Smash Master
Yeah, it's really convenient because it saves money and Boback's **** is always hard.

Uh.... Evan... As far as I know from my friends in Wisconsin, there're like 5 smashers in all of Minnesota. They don't even have a thread on the boards. Do you know them personally?
Minnesota actually has a lot of smashers, and yes I do know them personally. Like Yakal said, they have their own forum

FrenchToasts

Smash Journeyman

I need advice against good puff players...

Fox vs Puff...?

If you ever think, for whatever reason, you are going to be grabbed, immediately DI to the side. Be comfortable doing this during your shield pressure, be comfortable doing this as soon as you see anything whiff in front of her... hold to the side. Doesn't matter which side, but I always prefer DIing behind her if possible because her only follow on that is bair (whereas if you DI in front of her she can do any of fair, uair, and pound legitimately).

You're going to be moving around her back airs for most of the match. Approaching from angles is really important. You ideally want to be beneath her so you can just run around and exert pressure in that position... Puff really has no business challenging Fox when she's around like... between the 50ish and 130ish degrees above him. You basically just want an angle so that she can't drift far enough away from you to defend with her falling bair (sneak under her moves).

In terms of general habit punishment, u-tilting through one of her nairs and such into an uair or bair is a good way to keep a strong position if she's trying to combo break you that way. Otherwise, you can force her off to the side and maybe land a nair or something as she's drifting away from you. You can also get some highly illegitimate punishes this way if you notice they like to attack on their way back down when they're in a bad position. Bair also works against this sort of thing.

Puff's shield game isn't actually that good. Rest OOS is really easy to avoid, and if you DI the up throw you can make it hard to be followed legitimately. I think attacking her shield is actually a really good thing as long as you're smart about it because knocking her over with the shine is a reasonable way to set up a grab or whatever. Even if you just push her to the edge, a lot of Puffs have really bad habits near the edge. They will often try to get back to center stage through force... at which point it's really not too difficult to fish for bairs and such. Watch for desperation pounds, random grabs they'll throw out, f-smashes, etc.

Defensively, you're pretty safe from Puff if she's facing you as long as you're just outside her f-smash range. You can use a mix of dash, shield, WD, and jump movements to hold that space and punish most of the random crap she might throw at you if she's trying to force hits.

You can get more effective the MU by just learning how to u-throw > uair on her various DIs into much higher percents than you can. Linking the uair at 90 makes a huge difference. It's seriously stupid and it doesn't require you be any better at the neutral game or thinking or anything.

Also, being able to do the u-throw > uair at 90%s lets you keep shooting lasers and hit moves on her without fearing that you're disrupting your kill window. Since your bair, u-tilt, etc. kill her at like 120% (before the hit) anyway, the percent range for where Fox has no kill moves (except like up smash) gets shrunk to 30% instead of 70%, which is really, really valuable. It just irons out a ton of problems with killing her or not that shouldn't exist.

Bonus points if you can learn the spacing to hit the 2nd up air exclusively. I know vs FFers Lovage suggests that you make it meaty, but vs Puff this isn't really an option after like 70%, so learning to tip it for the 2nd hit only (and skip the 1st hit altogether) is really powerful. It's not too difficult enough. You just do the up air super early in your DJ and space your DJ a bit differently.

I think most Foxes lose this one because they start trying to force kills with up smashes and similar unsafe moves. Largely because they can't up throw > up air high enough. Or, alternatively, they get up throw rested (or gimped by the edge). Learn to play to avoid those situations without constantly giving up your stage advantage.

I think dash attack is actually really good vs Puff because it sneaks under a ton of her stuff and you can dash dance punish a lot of her aerials with it. It leads to nothing, but it's really easy to hit on her once you get the hang of it. Airborne Puff is pretty vulnerable if she's out of position and sometimes dash attack (late dash attack) combos to up air or bair anyway at high percents, which is kind of sick. Strong dash attack can also do it sometimes.

Puff's pressure vs your shield sucks. Be good at shine OOS (or WD OOS, etc) if she tries to gimmick you into a grab or whatever. Be good at WD OOS in general because it's amazing. Don't jump OOS so much if she's jumping around because they all try to catch that. Don't try to counterattack her unless it's obvious you can. Reset your positioning, etc. The gaps between bair and her next attack on shield are huge so exploit that. Make her think (for once).

I feel shine is better than jab in a general sense if you have the choice of the two to hit on Puff. Jab can be CCed and tech crouched (stupid Puff jump) whereas shine cannot. Shine requires you to tech chase or do extra work, but oh well. Safety first as far as I'm concerned.

Top Bottom