• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The B.C. Canada Thread

piegopher

Smash Rookie
howdy,

My name is Marshall and I live in Vancouver, just outside of UBC.....

<abridged>

....Supertramp.
Yo Marshall- I live just off of Broadway and Clark Drive on the 99 B-line route, if that's any kind of convenient to you. I don't have Brawl yet (I'm saving myself so that my first time will be pure) but sources indicate that I will have it soon. Still happy to play melee as well, mind you. I'm available weekdays after 5 PM.

And this invitation also applies to ANYONE ELSE who's in the area. Come play me, PLEASE! I've been commuting all the way to SFU Surrey after work just to get in five or six matches before the library closes x_x

--Oliver

SpaceFalcon

Smash Lord
Evan has mained every character.
Supertramp people here can tell how good you are at the game by the way you talk about meele :]

Oh yeah, who ever wants to play meele today after 4'ish gimme call.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Don't listen to the noobs, especially that Divinokage guy.
What? MM? Bring it!!

Evan has mained every character.
Supertramp people here can tell how good you are at the game by the way you talk about meele :]

Oh yeah, who ever wants to play meele today after 4'ish gimme call.
So if I say I can **** most of my friends and looking for more competition.. does that mean I suck? lol.

SpaceFalcon

Smash Lord
Kage I'll MM your Ganon when you get here next week with my fox. You'll be staying at Adams right? I'm usually chillin ova' there ;]

xXx-NoobKing-xXx

Smash Hero
howdy,

My name is Marshall and I live in Vancouver, just outside of UBC. I have been playing melee for a few years and I cant seem to find any good players at all asides from my brother's Sheik. I literally have asked every person I know if they think they are good at ssbm, and expectedly ruined them. Its almost like the game was more fun before I began to truly progress at it.

I realize that because of this, how subpar my game probably is. Even though I can drillshine a marth around a stage, I only expect wavedashes from Sheik players. Even though I can shffl fairs into ken combos without thinking, I have never players a competent shine spiker.
I need help. I can do everything with marth and fox, shot of consistently backwards SHDL with fox because I cant break the habit of short-hopping falcos SHL with the y-button.

I am hoping to squeeze in a few melee matches against decent players in the area, before I begin to utilize the advanced techniques in Brawl (which, to agree with M2K, seem lamely remade). If anyone there are any people in Vancouver who are willing to play some standard matches for fun against me, that would be amazing. If there is a list of people in vancouver already on the website, then could someone direct me to it? Thanks.

Supertramp.
Welcome, my friend. I have some good and bad news for you....

Bad news: The ONLY time a random joined the community and was ACTUALLY good was when dieslow first joined the boards. Even he couldn't beat our top 7-8 at first. It's HIGHLY unlikely that you will even beat someone like myself, and I'm not even that good at the game xD.

good news: This community is a GREAT one to join. We have at LEAST 1 tournament or something every month and the smashers here are all pretty friendly and supportive of newcomers. Maybe you ARE good, maybe you will beat some of our best, even ALL of our best. I'd put money on a match right now with my Falcon against your anything. 5$ and up. That's also good news if you manage to beat me ;).

Again, welcome to the community, I hope you find what you're looking for here. =)

Noypi_GjD

Smash Journeyman
good news: This community is a GREAT one to join. We have at LEAST 1 tournament or something every month and the smashers here are all pretty friendly and supportive of newcomers. Maybe you ARE good, maybe you will beat some of our best, even ALL of our best. I'd put money on a match right now with my Falcon against your anything. 5$ and up. That's also good news if you manage to beat me ;).
Hahah.... :laugh: I remember my brother's first money match..... sounds like a trap :laugh:

Supertramp

Smash Cadet
its game time

Never saw it coming that there would be such an encouraging reception! Thanks a lot to all of you who answered to my post and I will definitly be messaging some of you soon.
Gonna need to polish up the game, I've toned down on some of the advanced techniques these last few weeks after learning about their discontinuation in Brawl. Nervous even thinking about playing someone who has some real skill. How the hell do I train to play against someone a head above everyone I have ever played? Let's start off by chaingrabbing a non-DI'ing computer. perfect lol

Gonna look into the SFU tournament, thanks for the suggestion. Found someone earlier today at my school who has flown down to see some of the smash MLG's. Hoping to have a game or two against him as warm up.

cya round FD.

Supetramp

Gaddswell

Smash Cadet
Hi everyone!

I'm a first time poster here from SFU Surrey who's interested in getting into competitive Brawl. I've been playing Smash since the N64 days, though on a casual level. Hopefully, now that I'm aware of the local group, that I would be able to improve on what I know, eventually get myself up to tournament viable levels, and be able to compete with all of you.

doppimus

Smash Rookie
Someone suggested that I post my question here as I might get better results.

Does anyone know which, if any, stores in Vancouver, BC that will be selling brawl at midnight.?

List them here if you could be so kind as to help me out.

Thanks

Rampage

vx
Hi everyone!

I'm a first time poster here from SFU Surrey who's interested in getting into competitive Brawl. I've been playing Smash since the N64 days, though on a casual level. Hopefully, now that I'm aware of the local group, that I would be able to improve on what I know, eventually get myself up to tournament viable levels, and be able to compete with all of you.
pix or it didn't happen

haha I suggest you also try to get into melee as well since it just looks like the overall winner of the competitive race. Though that could change at anytime.

Welcome to the Community :)

firexemblemxpryde

Smash Lord
Bah, you're so cynical, rampage! Don't talk to me about smashers' reference, send a PM to the OP. My computer died and I don't have the list anymore....

I'm good at smash.

Oh yeah, I still have to MoneyMatch Tiep, Ryan, and Adam.

vs John:
1st - Fox vs John (Peach) PS. I won 1 stock
2nd- Fox vs John (Peach) Mute City, John won 1 stock
3rd- Fox vs John (Sheik) FD, John won, 1 stock
4th- Rock paper scizzors. John won, 2-1

vs Eric: (I ban Kongo, he ban BF)
1st- Marth vs Eric (Falco) PS. I won 2 stock
2nd- Fox vs Eric (Falco) Pokefloats. I won 1 stock
3rd- Marth vs. Falco. Don't remember where, but I won.

Ryab, Tiep, and Adam, when can you smash?

unityole

Smash Lord
Hi everyone!

arrgh SFU surrey.. meh

but really, play N64 hard.
Brawl missing out some of the techniques which Melee / SSB64 has, I just don't think brawl can be that competitive

Hitsugaya

Smash Ace
Bah, you're so cynical, rampage! Don't talk to me about smashers' reference, send a PM to the OP. My computer died and I don't have the list anymore....

I'm good at smash.

Oh yeah, I still have to MoneyMatch Tiep, Ryan, and Adam.

vs John:
1st - Fox vs John (Peach) PS. I won 1 stock
2nd- Fox vs John (Peach) Mute City, John won 1 stock
3rd- Fox vs John (Sheik) FD, John won, 1 stock
4th- Rock paper scizzors. John won, 2-1

vs Eric: (I ban Kongo, he ban BF)
1st- Marth vs Eric (Falco) PS. I won 2 stock
2nd- Fox vs Eric (Falco) Pokefloats. I won 1 stock
3rd- Marth vs. Falco. Don't remember where, but I won.

Ryab, Tiep, and Adam, when can you smash?
Ngr please. That mute city match was a 2-3 stock. Atleast. I remember the **** I was doing.
It was also a 1 stock 3rd match vs Eric. Ganon vs Sheik Brinstar fool.
AND! The pokefloats match was Fox Ditto's

Your rock paper sissor skills sucks! Its EXACTLY like smash. Instead of spamming Nair's... Your spamming Rock! WTF!

You also owe me some busfare from the MM and $2 from the doubles entry I paid.

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
I just got a call from EB Games. I am pre-order #2 out of 145 at Pacific Centre. They are opening at 11 AM on Sunday. It's first come first serve for who gets it FIRST though so I'll get there an hour early =/

I'm curious as to who pre-ordered BEFORE me. I mean... March 8th, 2007. I thought I was the first!

Hi everyone!

What's your name and what year are you in? Maybe we've played :O I'm Rushan.

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
Ah. I don't know the first years too well. You guys seem to have a schedule which never lets you into the games room when I'm there! Well, remember to stop by the games room as we usually have smash running (not lately as everyone's too nuts about Brawl). On Tuesday there should be a 6 hour Brawl event in the Mezzanine. I think we'll be doing 4 projectors with Brawl or something.

H

Hoozam

Anyone find a midnight release in town???? I just called FS/BB and they aren't doing it.

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
I'm not completely sure. I just know we should be having one. Probably either 11 or noon until 5 or 6? It'll probably be free for alls on all systems. It's in the main area just as you walk onto campus. I have a break from 12:30 until my 6:30 class so I'll be around.

xXx-NoobKing-xXx

Smash Hero
Hahah.... :laugh: I remember my brother's first money match..... sounds like a trap :laugh:
Pipe down North Van!

<3 Herschel & Gerald + rest of N.Van crew.

Ngr please. That mute city match was a 2-3 stock. Atleast. I remember the **** I was doing.
It was also a 1 stock 3rd match vs Eric. Ganon vs Sheik Brinstar fool.
AND! The pokefloats match was Fox Ditto's

Your rock paper sissor skills sucks! Its EXACTLY like smash. Instead of spamming Nair's... Your spamming Rock! WTF!

You also owe me some busfare from the MM and $2 from the doubles entry I paid.
***** Manuel...

My Falcon vs Manuels Fox

1st match: FD - I 4 stocked him
2nd match: Mushroom Kingdom #1 - Yet again... I 4 stocked him

GG

EDIT: Bobby, I've added you. We'll talk about stuff on MSN yayuhz!

unityole

Smash Lord
I got the beautiful call from EB today too. 11am is when Brentwood opens...I'm gonna go at 10. Does that sound reasonable, or should I go earlier?
meh :/ all about brawl this brawl that :O

A minding post for the coming SFU tourney, March 29th..

As expected, there will be SSB64 and Melee. We will have people arrive at 10-11 am and start as soon as possible, 11 am / noon so hopefully we can end it early.

I've learned lots from my last tourney, this time I will get more loonies and twonies :)
and people should pay when they enter the lounge, for better registration/progressing speed !!

Events / Prizes:
- Melee Singles + Doubles
- SSB64 Singles + Doubles
- Crew..? (I do not know how Crew battle works, I'll just leave them to the experts!)

Melee Singles - $10 per player, best of 3, 4 stocks no item, time 8 minutes. Pot % 60/30/10.
Melee Doubles - $10 per team, best of 3, 4 stocks no item, time 8 minutes. Pot % 60/30/10.
SSB64 Doubles - $6 / team, best of 3, 5 stocks no item. Pot % 80/20
SSB64 Singles - $5 / player, best of 3, 5 stocks no item. Pot % 70/20/10.

All singles tournaments are seeded through pool/round robin, double elimination brackets.
All doubles tournaments are seeded through round robin or single elimination bracket.
Semis and Loser's final are best of 5, all finals best of 5.

Rules:
- Stage / Character counterpick rule, ranked by seeds.
- If the game was ever to freeze, the match will be restarted despite the remaining stocks of both players, unless there was a clear winner.
- Stages banned are Yoshi's Island, Saffron City and Mushroom Kingdom due to cloud, piller and edge camp.
- For Melee, I'll leave it to the veteran.. all the regulars, banned stages, bug abuse etc... (rules will be from the 1st page of BC Canada Thread, the standards)
- For all doubles, team attack is ON and life stealing is allowed.

Map/ Directions:
Skytrain to Production Way station, take bus #145.

Images/Maps
http://www.sfu.ca/~yjt/sfucampus.GIF
http://www.sfu.ca/~yjt/bustoasb.GIF

Events will take place in engineering lounge just like last time.

Others:
**Our lounge ain't big, which means that I am going to cap the number of players at 35. (we can always go over that number ;) just an estimation, but if you're here for 64, then it's no problemo!)

Controllers will be provided for SSB64. It is required to bring a controller for yourself if participating in Melee. You are welcome to bring another Melee setup as the tournament will run more smoothly =)

**I am a big fan of SSB64, therefore I will encourage the people to participate in 64 singles with free pizza :). Note: only the players who join SSB64 singles may have free pizza :o, unless prepayed.

Any other details, just ask me in person or post under the thread, I will get back to it as soon as possible.

Finally this tournament includes Melee/64.

UPDATES

Players confirmed
AIDS
Blunted_Object10
Bwmat
Gavin
Genesis ftw
Hitsugaya
Meta
MSC
Nathan
Panda
Rampage
Stephen
Tuan
Unityole
Wayne
xXx_NoobKing_xXx
Z-r0w

Players unconfirmed
Joshinator
Kuinn
Patooty
Manli
Omgitswill
Spacefalcon
Holyman
Kham
Prince Loki
Rip the Jacker

64 ers
Blunted_Object10
Bwmat
Gavin
Meta
MSC
Panda
Stephen
Tuan
Unityole
Wayne
xXx_NoobKing_xXx
Z-r0w

Melee ers
AIDS
Blunted_Object10
Bwmat
Genesis ftw
Hitsugaya
Meta
Nathan
Rampage
Tuan
xXx_NoobKing_xXx
Z-r0w

Players onhold
none..

Equipments Confirmation
SFU - A setup for SSB64
Unityole - TV
Willy - SSB64 + N64
Panda - N64 + RF switch
Meta - 1 TVs + 2 SSB64 + N64 + GC + Melee
- *2nd TV?
Bwmat - TV

Rampage

vx
Has anybody seen this?
The gamestop smash bros trohpy...this is real and I lol'd

@ dark_dragon8

Go at Nine, eight if possible. Seriously. haha

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
I got the beautiful call from EB today too. 11am is when Brentwood opens...I'm gonna go at 10. Does that sound reasonable, or should I go earlier?
Hm. I was thinking of getting there at 10:30, but thinking about it... I should probably go earlier. I think I'll do 10 as well. I hear Metrotown is opening at 9.

Camerican

Smash Apprentice
ha im almost garNTD mine ;p Muahaahaa , and i can get mine at 8 oclock my eb is like well open early to avoid too many people during the day : D woot ^^

Top Bottom