• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Austin Smash 4 Thread - Weeklies are now at OOPLES!

MikEffect

Smash Rookie
NNID
MikEffect
I think I've figured out my weakness. I'm starting to feel like I get punished for short hopping too much. I should stay more grounded and focus on better ground game. Of course, short hopping is still a good option as ness, but I want to reduce the number of times I do that to become less predictable. Thoughts?

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
MikEffect MikEffect ,

Have you watched VOD's of your gameplay recently? Best thing to do is ask questions like regarding you being punished:
  • Why am I getting punished? Is a particular way frequent?
  • What option did they take to punish me?
During that analysis it's good to also ask:
  • What are my opponent's patterns if any?
  • Did I exploit them? Why or why not?
These four questions should reveal quite a few things. And make sure to write the answers down.

From what I watched you have a lot of trouble landing in general. Airdodging on setups that would get you killed, airdodging to the ground, or simply landing with an attack against your opponents shields are things I've taken note of in the last sets I've seen you play. All three would get you punished in one way or another if your opponent is quick enough. If you'd like, you can send me a VOD of one of your sets and I could sit down and analyze it. Having others view it could help out.

Last edited:

Gova

I'm goin' for it!
NNID
Takicodos
I think I've figured out my weakness. I'm starting to feel like I get punished for short hopping too much. I should stay more grounded and focus on better ground game. Of course, short hopping is still a good option as ness, but I want to reduce the number of times I do that to become less predictable. Thoughts?
Really depends on the match-up. Some characters don't have the frame data or the disjoints to deal with a short hopping neutral airing Ness. See: Kirby :(

Last edited:

MikEffect

Smash Rookie
NNID
MikEffect
MikEffect MikEffect ,

Have you watched VOD's of your gameplay recently? Best thing to do is ask questions like regarding you being punished:
  • Why am I getting punished? Is a particular way frequent?
  • What option did they take to punish me?
During that analysis it's good to also ask:
  • What are my opponent's patterns if any?
  • Did I exploit them? Why or why not?
These four questions should reveal quite a few things. And make sure to write the answers down.

From what I watched you have a lot of trouble landing in general. Airdodging on setups that would get you killed, airdodging to the ground, or simply landing with an attack against your opponents shields are things I've taken note of in the last sets I've seen you play. All three would get you punished in one way or another if your opponent is quick enough. If you'd like, you can send me a VOD of one of your sets and I could sit down and analyze it. Having others view it could help out.
I think I need to find a good video against Hakii, we could probably look at the Ooples video where I lost to Mugen. Let me keep looking into it.

xubuntu

Smash Rookie
hey! correct me if im wrong, but i heard the next local thing was gonna happen on friday at Ooples? If not, then when?

Hakii

Smash Rookie
NNID
Hakii5
Hi, I'm new to the scene and I've only attended 2 weeklies and I'd like to say that The dragonite, easyape and SA bryan are all.jerks and should be banned from the scene :v

Hakii

Smash Rookie
NNID
Hakii5
Whoa, bro. I remember Nick's Metaknight coming out to play.
Is Hakii dropping Lucas?
And does Savage still Sheik after the nerf? He told me he couldn't use her anymore.

Also, take me off of that PR please. I'm almost certainly not entering again for a few months.

EDIT: This Fire Emblem theme, though
I'm not dropping lucas i actually ended up dropping corrin lol. I only use her in doubles now. No idea why i was put as solo corrin but its outdated anyways so its fine :v

Kerg

Smash Rookie
NNID
blitzkerg
Getting into the hype about Ultimate, I really miss playing this game.. but every weekly or event I go to seems to be a tournament. I just want to do friendlies.. Is there no meetup for just playing the game? It's been a while since I've been to one, we did go to Mothership for a while and I try to catch the ones on TXState campus, but tired of paying $X to play 2-5 matches and spend the rest of the time watching other people and hearing everyone grump about what they did wrong.. It's just not any fun. (and the TXState group is not very friendly just FYI, at least they weren't when I went)

Any hope or is the community really all competitive die hards?

Geoberos

Alicorn or not, my mane mare, my unicorn, Twilight
NNID
Geoberos
Ever since Smash 4, Weekly Tournaments have become the norm and Smashfests became a rarity. There are times players will offer to host Smashfests, but most of the times they're unable to. I've seen many Facebook posts asking "Who hosting?" with 0 replies. Weeklies are just frequent and consistent enough that most players try to schedule their time around it so they can get as Smash as possible. Seeing as you'll get the most variety of players at tourneys, your best bet is to pay venue and get as many friendlies in as possible. Or offer to host yourself, some players are just looking to casually Smash too.

There's still hope in the right conditions, but being on this board and Facebook groups, tough luck because it's mostly catered to the competitive players. Practically 90% of the active members enter weeklies or used to enter weeklies only to stop playing competitively for various reasons.

But being from San Antonio, I can't speak much for the Austin community, but they should have a decent core group with the Heatwave and Smashpack series. I met several players from the community and they definitely don't sound like those mentioned from the TXState Campus.

Edit: Surprised that you weren't able to play friendlies when setups are no longer needed mid-tourney. Some players actually stick around and wait for that opportunity.

Last edited:

Kerg

Smash Rookie
NNID
blitzkerg
Huh so its just a problem of hosts?? Surprising.

Well Shiken and I are in the process of buying a new house so maybe when we get settled we’ll start hosting again. It’s been many years.. would be fun to start up again. :) Thanks for the replies!

Mike2

Smash Ace
Holy dead thread, Batman. We’re still on the page where I posted that stupid video. lol

Anyway, I’ve played more in the past week than I’ve played in the past 4 years. Finally owning the game and a Wii U helps. Going to be practicing pretty vigorously these next 3 months to try and prepare for Ultimate.

EDIT* Update as of 11/17/19. I lost interest pretty early on and this definitely didn’t happen. lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom