• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Austin Smash 4 Thread - Weeklies are now at OOPLES!

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
I hate to be the "bring-down guy", so I'm going to put this in collapse tags. Anyone that doesn't want to read it, I have prepared a special little video for you to watch.

[collapse="Story Time"]I'm going to use House of Mouse's date as a reference point, as I'm having trouble remembering specific days.
Approximately 1 1/2 weeks before House of Mouse 2, my pet of 12 years (Felix) died. The circumstances surrounding the situation are still rather strange. Two or three days before HoM 2, I discovered that my family had been hiding the fact that my grandfather had esophageal cancer from me because I was already so upset. These two events have been causing me to think seriously about a number of things, including the importance of certain things and people.

I'm actually a bit fond of our little group. I plan on continuing to play the Smash series for a while longer (at least into the next generation), but some of us may be leaving soon and there's no guarantee that the ones remaining will follow into the next generation.

EDIT: Just realized something, I posted a certain time after the death saying that I would only be entering doubles at HoM2. Subtract two days from the date of that post and you get a date to work with. I don't want to go find it right now.[/collapse]

Very soon, I'm going to have a bit of money left over. I was originally going to put it toward the next Nintendo system, but I'm starting to think that perhaps it would be better to use it to go around the Texas Circuit. If you don't understand why I'm considering this, go draw a picture or twiddle your thumbs for a bit before giving your opinion.

Anyone have an opinion on this?

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Shaun, you've always been one of my favorite Austin Smashers. Follow your heart, bud. :)

:phone:

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
It seems that the point was missed, so I'll just have to say it outright.
I mean absolutely no offense by this, but if I wanted emotional "follow your heart" responses, I would have made that into a blog. I asked you guys specifically because I value your opinions more than others that would have something to say on the subject. Also more likely to be emotionally stable; apparently I've been treating people like human garbage lately.
I was fishing for logical responses. What would you do in this situation?
You have my sincerest apologies if this sounds like I'm being an *******. I don't intend for it to be an insult or anything and I appreciate that you said all that stuff. ^^;

And to get this topic back on-track, I also appreciate the usage of the phrase "long and hard" in tofer's post. :3

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Oh, I can be an *******. WATCH ME WORK!
Glee is a terrible show. That font color really accentuates the bags under your eyes. "Jake Gyllenhaal" sounds more like a legendary weapon in an RPG than a real name.

And my mind isn't made up. I'm considering two possibilities, no?
I just don't know if going to a SERIES of tournaments based on... almost nothing is wise.

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Yeah, but I was stating my opinion in an unusually ANGRY tone. Kind of hard to hear over the internet. =P

Looking back on it objectively, the phrasing implies that I'm looking for justification to DO said action rather than choosing one or the other. This was not my intention and I apologize for any misunderstandings.

Mike2

Smash Ace
I'm sorry for your loss Shaun. I had no idea and I'm can't imagine what you're going through. I wish the best for your grandfather. If you needed to take some time off I don't think anybody could blame you.
And I may have missed the mark completely, so if I did then I apologize and just ignore.

I'm especially derpy today and one part of your post is going over my head so I'll just ask: Did you mean that experiencing death and the sickness of your grandfather has made you question the importance of playing smash long term?

As for continuing going through the lonestar circuit or saving for the next console, I can only speak for myself when I say that I'll most likely be "around." I won't ever quit completely. I just quit competitive for the most part. That means not going to tournaments every weekend and practicing during the week. I'm still gonna attend smashfests and get togethers. I just needed a break to restore the fun of the game for me.
I'll definitely be playing when the next console comes out. I'm actually really excited for it.

I don't know what everyone else's plans are. But if you save up for that console, I can safely say I'd still be around the play it. Maybe the occasional tournament too. ;)

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Did you mean that experiencing death and the sickness of your grandfather has made you question the importance of playing smash long term?
Oh, no. I was questioning its importance at first, but I don't think I'll quit for quite a while. It's difficult to explain, but Brawl has actually gotten me to encounter a wider range of interesting people and concepts.
If anything, it made me realize that playing these games with the community is quite important in multiple aspects of life, including fulfilling my manifest function.
Believe me, I've thought about this for quite a long time.

Glad to hear you'll be sticking around, BTW. ^_^

BTW. Apparently Y.b.M. is moving to Dallas at the end of the year. Nick's going to have competition for his title.
He played with Hilt, so he knows the Olimar match-up too. :D

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
Sorry to hear about your loss and your grandfather Clover. I'm not sure I understand what you were asking for input on, or even if you'd want it from me, but if you ever need someone to talk to I'll help any way I can.

My grandmother passed away from pancreatic cancer about a month ago now, so you have my deepest sympathies.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Look at this way, Shaun: If you don't go to all the circuit stops, you'll miss me.

DO YOU WANNA MISS ME, LITTLE BOY?

TheAlpacaMan

Smash Cadet
So the decision is either go to all the circuit events, or buy the new console?

Well, I plan on getting the new console and the new smash bros, and I plan on continuing to play at smashfests for as long as I'm in Austin... And it looks like Mike 2 is as well.

I dunno man, it seems that if other people in our scene are going to be getting the console, then there's no real reason to have to get it right when it comes out. I say go to the tourneys and kick ***.

Also, follow your heart.

NNID
Tofer_Magicant
I don't want to miss you zigsta D:

Sky, you're one my favorite san antonio smashers,
and it would be sad to see that you quit the game but I would also understand if that's the decision you made. I am sorry to here about your grandpa, and I hope you find the answer you're looking for.

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
It's an exchange program. You guys get me for a week and Austin gets tofer.
A fair trade, IMO. Tofer's a quality user.

My grandmother passed away from pancreatic cancer about a month ago now, so you have my deepest sympathies.
Yeesh, that's quite recent. I'm sorry for your loss.
I'm no good at consoling people, so I'm kind of at a loss for what to say here. If there's any way I can help, let me know (Sorry, I hope you get what I mean by that).
I talked to him today about it, and apparently they're going to actually remove a large chunk of that region, moving his stomach up into his chest area. Sounds like something out of a goddamned sci-fi movie.

On an unrelated note...
Guys, I am salty as HELL about something Leaf said in the SWF chat last night. He implied that I was inferior to him at the game because I live in Austin, a supposedly easy city.
I want to beat Houston in a five-on-five crew battle. This may sound too ambitious, but I believe that we can be a ****ing box of rapists by the time the final circuit event comes around.
I'm also going to do something directly about Leaf.

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
There is no way into this conversation for you and NO WAY to sate my thirst for revenge, Leaf.
It's been like a week and I'm still salty, chugging that haterade and demanding MORE.

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Curious, is anyone from Austin driving to HOBO 32?
I might be able to go now.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
Leaf says that about everything that's better than him though.

Also, in my completely biased opinion, you should attend all the circuit stops.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
I'm sorry to hear about that, Shaun. I know what it's like to lose a beloved pet and have a sick grandparent. :(

Anyways, I believe you should go to all the circuit events and win. That way, you can do both things. =D

By the way, the rumor that SSB4 is coming to the Project Cafe (now rumored to be the Nintendo Beem) is seeming more and more true as we get closer to E3. I honestly can't wait for Tuesday. ^_^

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
I know, right? So exciting!
Especially after the talk about Pikmin 3's graphics. :D

It's going to be called the Dolphin because Miyamoto has a sense of humor. Either that or the Nintendo Trip.

Top Bottom