• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Austin Smash 4 Thread - Weeklies are now at OOPLES!

theeboredone

Smash Legend

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
So... where is the nearest game store? I'm getting Metroid: Other M tomorrow. >.>

:069:
Dobie Game Store. Walk to Dobie and then take the stairs outside to the second floor. Take the glass doors there. From there, walk towards the back right, near the foot court. You can't miss the game store.

Haptic

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2251-5184-4442
Bored, what's your take on it? I was originally hyped as hell for it because I love Metroid, but after seeing some... less-than-spectacular... reviews, I've decided to skip it, at least for now.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
These are my main gripes about the game. Note this is coming from a casual gamer fan and not a Metroid fan.

1. Control Scheme: You control Samus by using the wii controller (no nunchuk). You hold it sideways and use the D-pad to move around in a 3D area. With that being said, you can see that it's kinda difficult to get the right angle times, because there is no analog. Another gripe I have is that in order to shoot missiles, you must go from holding the wii mote sideways to pointing it at the screen. What's worse is you can't even move while in this first person mode. So you are very prone to getting hurt. Finally, the auto aim feature is a hit or miss. Once again, the D-pad makes it hard to angle Samus where you want her to be, so sometimes she won't register the enemy in front and fire at something else.

2. VA: They made Samus' character depressing, but the VA for her is so bad, that it sounds like some boring monotone voiced capped off with a script that makes her sound like a teenager. I think one line I laughed at really hard was when she said "Confession time...". The other VA's aren't so bad, but Samus herself sucks.

3. Story: I'm glad they gave this game an indepth story, but the problem with it is that it totally pulls a 180 on who Samus is. Now I'm no feminist, but Samus always came off to me as some hardcore ****** who took **** from nobody. Now we find her depressed, taking orders from a guy who she has daddy issues with from 20 some years ago. I mean, it comes to a point where her weapons are restricted because he says you can't use them until he authorizes it. Really? I mean, there's a scene early in the game, which demonstrates clearly that, "You need me more than I need you", but she still lets him push her around. Also all the flashbacks about her past, added with her boring VA makes it even more stupid. It would have been cool if the VA was good, and this game took place during her earlier years, but her persona as of now shouldn't have her thinking about the past so much. Also, there is a big scene later on in the game which will clearly piss you off.

Other then that, the story itself is pretty cool. Basically, anything non-Samus past related is neat. I liked it.

Some things I liked:

Graphics: Definitely good for a Wii game. Not Super Mario Galaxy 2 good, but just a step below it.

Good use of Save and Continues: Save points replenish your health and when you die against a boss, they throw you right back in it. None of this going through a whole level again stuff.

Gameplay: I know I griped about it earlier, but the pace is fast for the most part, and it's fun to sometimes use the first person to explore and scan items.

Story not about Samus: Explained above.

Overall, I'd give this game a 6/10. Clunky controls, bad main VA, and story needs a total rework.

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Not that Juan, Shaun is gonna get hit on. He's very shy and nervous around other guys.
I don't mind gay guys, I'm just very easily embarrassed. :<
Was trying to explain the last episode of Excel Saga and the reason why the "Judas" manga is banned on MangaFox to HlLT (anti-namesearch :p) earlier and my face was on fire.

Also, I'm pretty sure that Charles would establish himself as the dominant male and nobody would want to try anything funny.

Haptic

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2251-5184-4442
@Bored: Thanks for giving your opinion. You just voiced the same exact gripes that the reviews I've been reading have said. I'll be skipping Other M. A shame, really.

theeboredone

Smash Legend

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Yeah, I saw the GT review and they noted the same things you did, Bored. However, they weren't nearly as harsh on their scores, giving Metroid: Other M an 8.6 or something.

I'll try to look past the VA. I mean, if I can stomach Yuna's voice in FFX, I can stomach Samus'.

...How did you get the game, though? Don't tell me you pirated it. I can't stand pirates. :mad:

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Sorry, but I just don't condone that sort of thing. Even if I do something like that, I would own a legitimate copy of the game first (therefore making it somewhat legal... I think).

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
Pirates are people too.

And some times you just have to pirate something.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
It's just that pirating in of itself is so stupid. Companies put in time and effort to create quality games and people just outright steal from them.

I see only two justifications:

1. You already own a legitimate copy of the game.
2. The game is so old that the companies that created it are no longer making any money off of it.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
Or, the game is too hard to find. Or when the game is in Japanese and needs a translator/emulator. Or when you're poor (and you would buy a legit copy if you could)

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Pirating exists in all sorts of fashion. Not just games. A person is in the same boat if they are downloading computer programs, software, songs, movies, games, emulation, etc.

Now if you tell me that you don't do any of these things, then congratulations, you are part of a very small minority. I understand your reasons, but I don't have the money to spend on all these items. I will support my favorite brands and companies, but that's about it.

That or companies should man up and make it harder to pirate ****. Nintendo is a joke when it comes to this stuff. Both Wii and DS.

Edit: I just realized that Brawl is the only game I own on the Wii LOL.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Pirating exists in all sorts of fashion. Not just games. A person is in the same boat if they are downloading computer programs, software, songs, movies, games, emulation, etc.

Now if you tell me that you don't do any of these things, then congratulations, you are part of a very small minority. I understand your reasons, but I don't have the money to spend on all these items. I will support my favorite brands and companies, but that's about it.
I don't (except for the reasons stated above). And why would I be in a minority, anyways? =/

Woah, deja vu. @_@

...Wow! Deja vu about deja vu. @_____________@

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Because the majority know how to pirate, and do so occasionally.
You're probably the first man I've known who actively buys EVERYTHING.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
I don't buy everything, I just buy things when I can.

You can't have everything you want, you know. >_>

*sigh* Let's just end this conversation here. It's not like anything good is coming out of it.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
I'm personally with Polt on this. But I don't have a problem with people pirating as long as they buy my movies. :p

And HOLY GUACAMOLEMOLEMOLE!!

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Chris, I will be sure to do that as long as your movies get a 70% or higher on RT. Standards may raise depending on what your expectations are supposed to be later down the line.

I'll also buy your movies on Blue-Ray...or maybe by then it will be Green-Ray. As long as they are autographed so I can sell them back on ebay unopened.

Top Bottom