• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The All Iowan Thread

zyroqwa

Smash Apprentice
(This is kintehr again)

ISU would let me rent out a large space/large rooms for free for a day until midnight usually, granted the tournament was free entry. Dunno what starting a cash pot or overnight stuff would do. =/ There's not enough of a scene to make a good local turnout imo: we've done a couple of small ones that sort of suffered the more we did them, and no one would pay b/c they already know they'd lose it.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
Good luck attempting to get Drake before school starts up. The problem with doing something at Drake over the summer is just that: it's summer. My Des Moines tourney was during spring break, and I was told that since it was break, no staff would be around.

Even during the school year, I think Drake...is a little picky. Go ahead and try to contact them, but don't hold your breath.
Ah, I guess I overlooked the summer thing...I was hoping someone was a student at Drake and could get something set up. Usually if someone's a student at a college there's no problem setting up a fest or tourney. St. Paul's main Biweeklies were hosted at UST for several months. I've hosted a fest at the U of M, and UW-River Falls students hosted a Beezo tourney there.

Fall

Smash Ace
Victor is correct I tried to find some places but all where WAY to expensive I found one place that would at a hotel but it would only fit like 30 people max and 30 might be to many

Echo

Smash Champion
Des Moines wouldnt be good because of its Size, but because of its location... it's a 6 hour drive if i wanna drive to keokuk lol.... i mean I've drivin 13 hours before its not that big of a deal... but for a small tourney 6 hours could become a bit tedious. theres always other cities... i'm not one to complain about drives or anything, but it'd be nice to get them to start coming west instead of being on the east border of iowa lol...

though... i'd probably drive to dubuque just to see christie ;)

hmmm... to edit that or not... eh oh well...

anyway, the point is - glenwood, though being one of the smallest towns i've ever been to in my life, could actually get pretty big turnouts with decent advertising or anything because of where its at, but Des moines would obviously alot better. However, Victor ruined any chance of anyone from KS or MO to join any of your tournaments, so don't even ask lol... but yeah with my new job I get every single weekend off so just let me know whenever theres a tourney goin on, and i'll more than likely show up to it. I'm interested in the MN idea though... probably 5 1/2 hours to minneapolis... so i'll keep an eye on it :p

victor2000

Smash Journeyman
Eh, I wouldn't be the one organizing an event. So perhaps as long as KS/MO knows that I had no hand in anything this time around...

JBM falcon08

Smash Master
god i hate how people now a days believe fox/falco are the only characters in the game.

V2k, please don't talk behind my back, i have other iowans who have told me things that you've said about both me and my friend bolt and how we started playing smash again when you quit, because thats not the case at all. i don't mind you at all, but if you going to do such things as telling other smashers from iowa stuff like that i will lose all respect for you completely,

i don't mean to attack you if you feel that way by this post, i just don't want to have beef with you because there is no reason to.

Dv02

Smash Apprentice
i dont just play fox. Zelda, mewtwo and Trucker Hat Pikachu are other characters i play with.

victor2000

Smash Journeyman
JBM, I don't know who you've been talking to. I don't even know anyone named "Bolt."

I've been out of the competitive scene for a while, only emerging a few times to sort of coach at some Des Moines smashfests. I don't recall making such bold statements.

Obviously, whomever you spoke to is trying to demean my reputation. When asked, I simply state I have never met you nor anyone from Glenwood, and thus cannot comment.

Apologies for the misunderstanding.

Big Burn

Smash Lord
It's been a while since I've made a decent post. Hope Iowa listens, I was the once-great V2K. Before Fall and Dv02, I WAS the Des Moines scene for a long time. Ask any of the "Iowa big names." Or ask Nebraska, they know me! :p

Lol i just had to laugh at this post... people are so full of themselves sometimes... u act as if you have achieved darkrain status or something and you retiring left the smash community in shambles... ohh yes great victor please come back to the smash scene so some of us may learn from your infinite wisdom....

Fall

Smash Ace
Well during the summer nothing, but Kintehr goes to ISU but since its summer she's at home in Marion. So other wise the closest place is Des Moines.

Dark Hogosha

Smash Apprentice
I bring the average skill level of Iowa down. Without my awesome contributions, Iowa would look much better. That's right, honkeys. Without me, Iowa would seem awesome.

^_____^

mybi0hazard

Smash Cadet
Feel free to come down and stay a weekend or something when I get my place back. We have a bunch of fantastic smashers down here. And they attempt to help and aren't extremely arrogant like vicky.

Cdbobo

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys just thought I'd pop in after a month-long hiatus :D.
I know that over here in Utah and Idaho we usually make a new thread devoted entirely to the next tournament/big smashfest. Do you guys do that? if so, can you refer me to that thread, and if not, and if that fest is open to people from the redoak/shanendoah(sp) area, where/when is it (pm me if you want)? Thanks :)

JasTiger

Smash Cadet
Still alive

Hey i'm in the DSM area, moving to Ames in Mid August. Might remember me, YOUNG LINK! I'm still alive, just been busy. Gimme a ring, though i'm still rusty. Just the computer to play lately. I'll have my own apartment up there while I attend ISU too, OFF Campus.

JasTiger

Fall

Smash Ace
Yay Jason its been a long time fella we should have a smashfest here in DM sometime. I would host it at my apartment but alas after about 3 people its very crowded

JasTiger

Smash Cadet
Let me get all moved in and stuff. About mid to late August i'll be ready to go! Sounds great! I'll be on i guess hte southern part of Ames. Decent apartments.

Top Bottom