• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The All Iowan Thread

kamikaze falco

Smash Lord
You should post pone it to next week. Me and frost byte should be able to attend. but the week after the glenwood tourney aka this weekend i will not be able to go because i want frost byte to go with me. And frost byte has that entire week free. aka 1st week in july.

Fall

Smash Ace
I might but I dont know yet im wondering just how many people are going to go if its about the same as Glenwood then i'll go but otherwise meh...

Echo

Smash Champion
if you can get atleast somewhat of a decent showing, then i'd come.

Echo

Smash Champion
im fukkin krunk as **** but wtf isnt that d02 kid comin but you wouldnt need a partner if he wa s comin whyis no one goin we need to have people goin me nad leon adn probably quen are goin maybe someone elese i dont know yet but were comin so people should just go and ill see you there im a nice guy and i ,3 everyone so like just go to this tourney and yu will be happy :):):):0:)

Echo

Smash Champion
lol ah... ic... well our friend quen would need a partner, but I dont know if he's going to come or not, i'll find out tonight.

btw, my apoligies for the hangover post. :colorful:

Eci4

Smash Ace
I realized today that Des Moines was closer to me than most Wisconsin venues... that being said, where are tournies/fests usually hosted in Iowa (what cities) and does anything ever happen in northern Iowa?

Fall

Smash Ace
I know Dubuque has a lot of small tournies but they dont get posted on here so Dark Hogosha would have to tell you when they are but other than that not that I know of. As for stuff around Des Moines not much really happens here I wanted to have a small fest this weekend but thats probably to short notice. Other than that the tournies we usually goto are in or close to Omaha, Nebraska

Eci4

Smash Ace
dang, I was really hoping there was a decent scene in Des Moines.... Oh well, I'll watch this thread though (and the Des Moines one that I think I remember existing) and if anything big comes up I'll try to get some people down there...

Who are the big names in Iowa? I know that Smeesh (I think thats the name) and Echo are good but somehow I think they are Nebraska (actually I know Echo is) but yeah... I don't know, maybe we could get some more travel and help out both communities, as most MN tournies max out around 20 people.

Fall

Smash Ace
Smeesh and Echo are both from Nebraska but the best from Iowa in my opinion are: Zyroqwa, JBMFalcon, Earthbowser, and me. Those aren't in order but those are some good people to play. Earthbowser and Zyroqwa both live a lot closer to MN than me or JBM do. Other people I should probably mention are Kintehr who is Zyroqwa's sister is also very good and Dark Hogosha and Faellie both of these two live in Dubuque probably less than an hour from MN

Faellie

Smash Apprentice
Fall.. have you SEEN a map of Iowa lately? :p Dubuque is at least 2 or 3 hours from the Minnesota border. And, I doubt he lives on the border...

Eci4

Smash Ace
yeah, Dubuque is something like 5 and half hours from me, which MN will seldom do for WI tournies, I think my best bet is if something happens in Des Moines

Fall

Smash Ace
Actually Christie no I haven't but in my head I was thinking we had to drive north a lot to get to Dubuque so its probably close to MN

Echo

Smash Champion
I agree, Des Moines would be a great place to start some tournies up... Looks like MN could be interested, and I know I would, its only 2 1/2 hours or so... its a good location... hook it up, Fall!!! :colorful:

I actually would go to a MN tourney... but maybe if you could get more than 20? I'd have no problem takin the drive though... dont think i've ever played anyone from MN yet so it'd be fun :)

Eci4

Smash Ace
Echo, our biggest tournaments right now are Beezo tournies but the last one only pulled in 18 people... We were missing 5 regulars, but it really isn't much. I'll ask around with the MN kids and see if there is much interest at all

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
Here's what I said on the Minnesota Smash Forum:
56K said:
I always thought Iowa would be a good idea, but I didn't think it had much of a Smash scene.

Yeah Des Moines would be cool.

Now I may be stretching it a bit here, but is there a possibility that KC kids would be able to go as well? Then we'd have MN, Omaha, Iowa, and KC. Plus whoever would come from the rural areas...

This could be big.
I can't remember what college was in Des Moines...it's either Drake or Iowa State, but I think the University would be a good venue.

Edit: Yeah it's Drake.

victor2000

Smash Journeyman
It's been a while since I've made a decent post. Hope Iowa listens, I was the once-great V2K. Before Fall and Dv02, I WAS the Des Moines scene for a long time. Ask any of the "Iowa big names." Or ask Nebraska, they know me! :p

Drake is in Des Moines. In fact, it is about a mile away from my house.

I agree that Des Moines is the ideal place for an Iowa tourney (although I am slightly biased).

So. As far as a Des Moines tourney or large event goes:

Good luck attempting to get Drake before school starts up. The problem with doing something at Drake over the summer is just that: it's summer. My Des Moines tourney was during spring break, and I was told that since it was break, no staff would be around.

Even during the school year, I think Drake...is a little picky. Go ahead and try to contact them, but don't hold your breath.

In terms of other venues: As Ian (Fall) has most likely learned, just because Des Moines is the largest city in Iowa doesn't necessarily mean that it is easy to get a decent venue at a fair price. Either the place won't host something related to video games, or it's way too much money for the space.

Forget about high schools. As a soon-to-be-senior in the Des Moines Public Schools, I can tell you that they will not go for it.

Other ideas I had from my tourney:
Churches I checked all over Des Moines: None of them would allow me to come in and play video games, no matter the price.
DSM International Airport: The meeting rooms were around $250...and were too small.
A room at the Botanical Center: Too small.
Community Centers: The one I checked had stuff booked months in advance.
A hotel meeting room: Too expensive for the space, assuming the hotel even allowed it.

The venue I finally ended up going with was still too expensive for the space, but the date was drawing close (after searching for 2 months) and was the best I could do. As some of you surely remember, things went awry from there...

Anyway, there's my two cents. Hope I helped.

Top Bottom