• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The All Iowan Thread

kintehr

Smash Apprentice
Good stuff Tim and Ian, thanks for coming yesterday. ^_^ Good games all around.

Ick, I can't be gone that long this weekend. I'd want to be back on Saturday...
The tournament's on Saturday and I'd like to be there as long as possible. It's likely now that we'll start everything Saturday morning, shove off from Omaha early Sunday morning and get back in Cedar Rapids around 1:00/2:00 Sunday. Hope that makes things more possible for everyone. Unless we can stay at your place and sleep in, Victor, I'm not certain we could get you back on the same day of the tourney. :(

kintehr

Smash Apprentice
I'm ashamed of Iowa, letting the thread get to the bottom of page two. And for not doing anything last week. ;)

Update the first post with upcoming tournaments.

January 27:
NFC3 (Omaha, NE) - http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=90467

March:
Shameful Fall 2 (Keokuk, IA) - http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=86785 (planning thread)

And I guess anything else as time goes on. Finals week is Dec 11-15th and I'm on vacation until January 8th, for CR, and if anyone wants something arranged in Ames before then, request it.

victor2000

Smash Journeyman
Updated the first post.

I checked the Keokuk thread, no where could I find "March." I found January 6th as a date on Kami's website though. I'll just leave it for now.

I was thinking of doing a small Smashfest this weekend. Nothing big enough to warrant everyone coming, just wanted to let let Tim and Ian know.

Echo

Smash Champion
[advertisement]I agree - you need to do something. you need to come to our tourney in Nebraska on Jan 6! You know you'd have fun :p[/advertisement]

kintehr

Smash Apprentice
Saturday, December 16

icy_icicle said:
I need more than just one person to come and it'd probably start around 2 or 3....i live at

1164 kyle dr.
iowa city, ia

call me at 319 621 9577, and give me some fone numbers, in case it has to be cancelled because i'mg sick.
Also needed are setups and some medication.

[Edit: Smashfest canceled. :ohwell: ]

kintehr

Smash Apprentice
Okay, two things.

One:
Me and Gary are going to NFC3(Jan 6), and still have two free seats left. Take up the offer! You, yes, I'm talking about you! We're planning on leaving Friday afternoon and returning Sunday: free lodging, cheap-cheap travel, good stuff, good times!

Two:
We're hosting another mini-smashfest in Cedar Rapids again on December the 27th, 2:00-whenever. Kintehr, zyroqwa, Fidi, and Icy are confirmed, post if interested so I can arrange things.

icy_icicle

Smash Journeyman
Still not sure about that nebraska one...thinking about me and fidi going. and it's december 27th

victor2000

Smash Journeyman
I haven't been posting as much lately (or doing anything Smash-related in months). The last things I've done is SMYM 6 and one smashfest between then and now. >_<

I'll quote what I said on STW: I doubt I can make it to Marion, unless Tim or Ian are going and can give me a ride.

Still too far away to know if I can make it to Omaha, but NFC3 is during the weekend before my semester finals.

I'll have to wait and see.

JBM falcon08

Smash Master
Victor, make it, kintehr plz get like some people such as icy, kamikaze and victor to go. not nit picking, just those names come to mind.

Dv02

Smash Apprentice
Long time.

Okay, two things.

One:
Me and Gary are going to NFC3(Jan 6), and still have two free seats left. Take up the offer! You, yes, I'm talking about you! We're planning on leaving Friday afternoon and returning Sunday: free lodging, cheap-cheap travel, good stuff, good times!
What are the requirements for a seat for i am interested.

Dv02

Smash Apprentice
Challenge

JBM, i want to play you in two matches. I doubt i will win the way people here talk about you, but i never want to pass up the opportunity to get my *** kicked.

1st match - vs my Mewtwo
2nd Match - vs my Fox

JBM falcon08

Smash Master
DV02, i'll play you yeah thats fine, you don't have to challenge me though i'm down for friendlies anytime anyone wants to, infact i plan on playing anyone who comes from iowa alot, but yes i'll except your mewtwo(never played one b4) and fox.

Dv02

Smash Apprentice
I just wanted the challenge to stand out. I figure that you would remember it easier. I just hope i can make it. I was hoping to meet you in the Crew battle that was supposed to happen a while back, but didnt.

Cdbobo

Smash Journeyman
I got some friends down in southwest Iowa (like where 71 and 34 cross) who are interested in coming to nearby smashfests/tourneys.... are any going on soon? This would prolly include omaha, cuz it's only like an hour and a half away... anyone live in SW iowa who's throwing a fest or anything...?

zyroqwa

Smash Apprentice
As far as I know there is no smashers who live down in that area I'm pretty sure.

There is a tournament, Shameful Fall 2, in Keokuk but that may be out of there
way.

Coaxial cable

Smash Apprentice
Hey Iowa, sorry about the rampant dormancy, but I'm still hangin' out in Cedar Rapids.
I'm going to make it a habit to check the boards regularly, so I should start showing up with at least some measure of regularity.

That's about all for now.
^^

Echo

Smash Champion
Someone host a tourney thats NOT on the east border of Iowa, and I'll come >.>

doooooo iiiiiiiit ;)

Cdbobo

Smash Journeyman
You guys should host one in like, Griswold or something. That way my two friends who live in SW iowa can come and beat yall ;). Or not. Regardless, it would be fun... and you guys could tell me if theyre any good; they keep saying they can kick my butt, but I doubt it =D

Red Oak would work, too, and Omaha wouldn't be that bad. Then again Omaha is definitely too far for most of you guys so... *shrug*.

Heog

Smash Cadet
Hey, people from the Cedar Rapids area, I'm hoping to get together a mini smash fest Sat, Febuary 17th. The idea is to get in some good practice and have a better feel for who's active in the area. I've already talked to a few of you, but make sure to let me know if you're interested.

Heres a link to the topic: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=2090316#post2090316

Hope to see some of you there, Heog

kamikaze falco

Smash Lord
Of course! Iowa is not dead. With the recent smashfest there has to be more in the future. And I will host shameful fall 3 in the spring sometime ^_^ Dunno exactly but I know it will be in the spring for sure.

kintehr

Smash Apprentice
It's been hard to hear or get a hold of you Des Moines guys since Victor hasn't been around for a long while.

In regards to events we had sf2 a month ago, the smashfest in Cedar Rapids a week ago, and maybe one after/in the end of next month, and there's a gamefest here in Ames with a small smash tournament this Saturday noon if you're interested. They plan on making it monthly but it's casual at best.

If you guys make something too, I'd be happy to come and take zyroqwa along. I'd almost ask for someone to host a tournament but given the time availability anyone in Des Moines has, it's a lot to ask for.

icy_icicle

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, we should do something at Heog's house again. Except not over spring break. Or even at Zyroqwa's house.

JBM falcon08

Smash Master
as of right now, i'm hosting a tournament in glenwood ia on april 7. i haven't decided as far as entry fee, doubles for each player will be 10 for sure, but singles is either 10 or 15.

come on iowans, yes i understand that its 2 hours away but there aren't many tournaments in iowa so don't pass up this oppurtunity, and depending on how well it goes, i might start making this a monthly or close to that.

victor2000

Smash Journeyman
You guys should host one in like, Griswold or something. That way my two friends who live in SW iowa can come and beat yall ;)..
I suck at this game now, but V2K would whoop on these guys back in the day. :p

Anyway, hey everyone! Just wanted to let you guys know that I am not dead or anything. Though I did play Smash a couple weeks ago for the first time in forever, and I played awful. =[

Reasons why I haven't been around for a long time:

- I can never find a day that both Tim/Ian and I are free.
- David [Maze] has flat-out quit Smash until Brawl comes out.
- All my other friends have also quit Smash until Brawl.
- Any other potential new players I've spoken with are waiting for Brawl.
- My schoolwork prevents me from having enough free time to travel.

Until the local scene in Des Moines starts up again, I guess you can say I'm temporarily retired. For now, I'm focusing on other games (Counter-Strike: Source, at the moment) and school.

kintehr

Smash Apprentice
I'll be back in Cedar Rapids next week and wanted to host a smashfest that Saturday(17th). It'll be at our place, and there might be cake!

Top Bottom