• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The All Iowan Thread

TehYoon

Smash Journeyman
I played Brawl for several hours before concluding it is awful. I'm sticking to Melee.

As the release date for Brawl came closer, more and more people were getting back into Melee at school. Several people were asking me for tips, so I decided to return - temporarily.

I don't know who you are, but I'm going to assume from the emoticon you're joking.

After all that waiting, you think Brawl sucks.You should've just stuck with Melee til Brawl came out then transitioned over. I personally love Brawl. I really don't care if it isn't competitive-material. I'd rather have fun than play people in tourney's anyways. As for me, I think I'm gonna leave melee behind and stick with Brawl for a while.

-Yoon

TehYoon

Smash Journeyman
People will make it competitive no matter what.

I very seriously doubt that. After a while it'll just die down. Right now of course there's tourney's, cause people WANT Brawl to be like Melee, but this isn't the case. As me and Echo were talking about, Yeah it's a fun game, but it's like Mario Party. I'll play Mario Party, cause it's fun, but a Mario Party tourney? That's a whole other concept. It has potential to get there, because it's only been out for a little while we have no clue what technical abilities players will find out. Let's just see what happens.

-Yoon

Sheer Cold

Smash Journeyman
[COLOR=RoyalBlueI very seriously doubt that. After a while it'll just die down. Right now of course there's tourney's, cause people WANT Brawl to be like Melee, but this isn't the case. As me and Echo were talking about, Yeah it's a fun game, but it's like Mario Party. I'll play Mario Party, cause it's fun, but a Mario Party tourney? That's a whole other concept. It has potential to get there, because it's only been out for a little while we have no clue what technical abilities players will find out. Let's just see what happens.

-Yoon
[/COLOR]

It WILL be competitive no doubt about it. Melee players may not move over to it but there will be new players that have never played Melee that will play Brawl competitively. It might not be as big as Melee's was or last as long it'll still happen.

I'd go to a Mario Party Tournament ;) lol

FrozenFire13

Smash Ace
Man, it's annoying when people double post. *sigh* Hoe does the Waddle expect to "slump" me when he plays Dedede? I play him for fun, yes he's alright, but me thinks my Sheik and/or Snake could beat the Waddle.

victor2000

Smash Journeyman
Everyone in Iowa sucks. Play 3rd Strike.
Greg, I agree - Iowans suck at Smash.

So, this post bothered me a bit:

After all that waiting, you think Brawl sucks.You should've just stuck with Melee til Brawl came out then transitioned over. I personally love Brawl. I really don't care if it isn't competitive-material. I'd rather have fun than play people in tourney's anyways. As for me, I think I'm gonna leave melee behind and stick with Brawl for a while.
Bold assumptions, sir.

First, you assume that I've been "waiting" for Brawl. You are wrong, as my life has become too consumed with academics, college preparation, and other video games to leave room for Smash.

Next, you assume that it would be for the best that I continued playing Melee up until Brawl's release, then transition to the new game. You fail to realize that, for many individuals, Brawl registers as a completely different game, myself included. As such, knowledge from Melee does little to augment knowledge of Brawl. It would be impossible for me to make such a transition.

British Bob

Smash Cadet
Greg, I agree - Iowans suck at Smash.

So, this post bothered me a bit:

Bold assumptions, sir.

First, you assume that I've been "waiting" for Brawl. You are wrong, as my life has become too consumed with academics, college preparation, and other video games to leave room for Smash.

Next, you assume that it would be for the best that I continued playing Melee up until Brawl's release, then transition to the new game. You fail to realize that, for many individuals, Brawl registers as a completely different game, myself included. As such, knowledge from Melee does little to augment knowledge of Brawl. It would be impossible for me to make such a transition.
One can also say that many individuals transitioned from the first Super Smash Bros. to Melee so I don't thing it would be impossible to transition from Melee to Brawl. In fact I would say it would be a much easier transition because you can use the gamecube controller in Brawl.

kintehr

Smash Apprentice
You still have the problem of owning the console, learning the new physics, and getting used to the analog inputs on the gc getting murdered. It was easier to transition backwards to ssb64 after playing melee.

British Bob

Smash Cadet
You still have the problem of owning the console, learning the new physics, and getting used to the analog inputs on the gc getting murdered. It was easier to transition backwards to ssb64 after playing melee.
You can still tech in the game. The controls are putting much the same when using a gc controller and to get the timing right you just have to practice. Funny thing is I own the game but I don't own a Wii yet so I haven't gotten a chance to play my copy of Brawl.

kintehr

Smash Apprentice
I was talking about the light shield being gone and the directions being a little gummy sometimes. (Your l/r buttons lost analog sensitivity entirely, sometimes it feels like the control stick lost some.) But yeah, it's a new feeling and I was just saying that it's not really comparable to a smooth transition like the previous two. You can transist to anything, but it's not necessarily an appropriate term all the time.

A great portion of the experience you obtained from melee is not as easily transferred to brawl as 64 transferred to melee or vice versa, just because Brawl pretty much redid their mechanics to a point it wasn't recognizable. That's all it really says.

S'repetitive.

FrozenFire13

Smash Ace
i dislike brawl because it isnt fun =[
Why do you think Brawl isn't fun? I mean don't get me wrong. Melee is still my fave of the three at this time simply because it has so many more AT's. I really don't like that Brawl basically took out the aspects that could seperate noobs from real competitors, and what they did leave in, the game does FOR you. That really disappoints me. But I still Brawl is fun. Plus it's such a beautifully made game. I=pretty:)

FrozenFire13

Smash Ace
i dislike brawl because it isnt fun =[
Why do you think Brawl isn't fun? I mean don't get me wrong. Melee is still my fave of the three at this time simply because it has so many more AT's. I really don't like that Brawl basically took out the aspects that could seperate noobs from real competitors, and what they did leave in, the game does FOR you. That really disappoints me. But I still think Brawl is fun. Plus it's such a beautifully made game. I=pretty:)

British Bob

Smash Cadet
I was talking about the light shield being gone and the directions being a little gummy sometimes. (Your l/r buttons lost analog sensitivity entirely, sometimes it feels like the control stick lost some.) But yeah, it's a new feeling and I was just saying that it's not really comparable to a smooth transition like the previous two. You can transist to anything, but it's not necessarily an appropriate term all the time.

A great portion of the experience you obtained from melee is not as easily transferred to brawl as 64 transferred to melee or vice versa, just because Brawl pretty much redid their mechanics to a point it wasn't recognizable. That's all it really says.

S'repetitive.
Repetitive for you not me.

Sheer Cold

Smash Journeyman
Where is Keokuk? Better yet, would anyone here happen to be in Northwest Iowa? I needs some non lag competition.
We're in the opposite direction we're in the southeast. I don't think there is a such things as non lag competition on Wifi I play people here in town and it still lags lag a good bit.

Funked

Smash Apprentice
Man, now i know why i didnt play melee. its because people cry WAY to much in this community mostly beause they are all kids who cry like little kids.

~GregDang!~

Smash Master
Man, now i know why i didnt play melee. its because people cry WAY to much in this community mostly beause they are all kids who cry like little kids.
I'm sorry Billy. I'll make it up by you kicking my @$$ at Naruto 4. :)

Also, I just like playing around with posts, so sorry if I offended anyone. I don't care if you play Brawl or Melee. We just need to stick together as Smashers and Iowans. Show that Iowa pride.

NOVA1106

Smash Ace
brawl is fun but not competitive wise but melee beats brawl fun and competitive wise. like billy said nice flag hey gary r u in CR ?

Top Bottom