• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The All Iowan Thread

TehYoon

Smash Journeyman
erm anyone feel like hosting a smash-fest anytime soon since im bored and limited on how many ppl can go to my house, if you do ill probably try to bring my friends since they wanna see how good ppl actually are, meh just let me know if anyone's gonna plan on one.

Dark Hogosha

Smash Apprentice
Feel free to hit up Dubuque anytime you want. I'm sure we can make accomodations if you want. We have tourneys on the last Monday of every month for Smash, and we play casuals about once a week outside of Monday nights. If you give us enough notice, I'm sure we can arrange something for a bunch of people. And I can provide a place for people to crash if you don't wanna drive back at night.

And Christie said that Gary can have her bed.

...god help us.

kintehr

Smash Apprentice
SuiteFox, zyroqwa and I are students. I just started summer vacation this week, though. ^_^

Hogosha...We're only two hours away.

Kudos to Kami for making it to Eureka.

SuiteFox

Smash Cadet
Thanks you guys are awesome. Im not in dubuque much but if i ever am in the area im sure we could work something out. +maybe i can swindle some luck and make somethings you guys plan too.

TehYoon

Smash Journeyman
how far is dubuque and Marion from Des Moines? I think i might wanna come if it isnt too far. im thinking anything less than 1 and a half hour away should be fine, if anyone wants my address, aim, msn, email. just PM me,

actually here's most of it:

Email: envisolex@hotmail.com
msn: miguel13@mchsi.com
aim: musikluverXD

if i have any smash-fests ill notify everyone, who's interested in coming?

btw im planning on getting a job, then setting up a tourney down here in Des Moines at the YMCA, PM/Contact me anyway if you're interested on helping out/showing up for that. i just want a rough estimate on how many are gonna be there, main way of getting me is msn and email, AIM is kinda dead for me. kthnxbai

SuiteFox

Smash Cadet
I dunno about time but dubuque is partly illinois and partly iowa, on mississippi. Marion is about 2hours at speed limit. if you have a tourney like first week of jne i might be able to make it, im house sitting for my uncle.

Fall

Smash Ace
Yea Marion is like 2 hours away if I remember but TehYoon me and you should play some time the only person you've played in Des Moines is Victor and he's kinda bleh ya know

victor2000

Smash Journeyman
Yea Marion is like 2 hours away if I remember but TehYoon me and you should play some time the only person you've played in Des Moines is Victor and he's kinda bleh ya know
I suck at Smash now. :(

But I can still 4-stock TehYoon and his friends. :p

Anyway, I gave Miguel the idea to have a local Des Moines smashfest/tourney. I think it would be a good idea to get in contact with all the current Des Moines players. There are still some old ones around, and apparently there is a fairly large scene at Lincoln High. I'll even make Maze come out of retirement for a day so we can take doubles.

I would organize this event myself if I had the time and energy to execute it. Hope it happens.

TehYoon

Smash Journeyman
i mean, i might suck, but i did get better than the time you last saw me. I'm trying to learn basically everyone, right now im working the mid and down tiers, i'm still pretty good with falco, jigglypuff, and marth though. but meh, if anyone wants to chip in so we can make a tourney down here that would be fine, you know we could get ppl from Illinois and Nebraska plus Iowa we'll have a really fun time and a great place to meet ppl and get good advice,
i mean, if you want ill start saving for renting some place at the YMCA. i'm pretty sure it'll be around July/August. you know, so everyone has time to work on their characters and that gives me time to learn G&W, Ganon, Pikachu, Bowser, Roy, Link, and C.Falcon, and MewTwo.

those are the only characters im gonna bother learning right now, the rest im learning later.

JBM falcon08

Smash Master
Tehyoon, you should probably stick to learning one or two characters, then worry about the others.

and i'd say its quite doubtful that NE would want to travel to a des moines smash fest, simply beacause its too far to travel for just a smashfest.

TehYoon

Smash Journeyman
Tehyoon, you should probably stick to learning one or two characters, then worry about the others.

and i'd say its quite doubtful that NE would want to travel to a des moines smash fest, simply beacause its too far to travel for just a smashfest.
That's what I keep telling him, but he doesn't believe me and wants to be good with nearly all the characters.

well, i wanna be good with everyone, sorry that im stubborn but i just love being versitile and just not sticking to 1 character, and plus i got a few months to learn alot of ppl, and its not like im learning everyone at once, im taking my time with each character.

kintehr

Smash Apprentice
TehYoon wrote tournament contributions, that's what I got. =/ I could probably help out towards a venue if that's the case. *shakes fist* I'm not funding smashfest snacks!

And also, the soonest feasible tournaments are made the better.

And, take down your techs and stuff and then you'll make everyone better, all at once.

Dv02

Smash Apprentice

Does anyone have prices? i know where we can rent a room for a day for $200. Not exactly large, but it would be sufficient.

Tehyoon, You really should listen to them. If you can fight great with 1 or 2 people, then you will be 'better' with the other characters just because you can do the basics better. I have never once actually trained with pichu, and i can play him just fine. I have even won most of my matches with him. Some will remember better then others. *cough*

Of course, i dont actually expect you to listen to me at all.

Also, Your Mewtwo wont beat mine. EVER. :laugh: Live with it.
I guess Pichu and Zelda arent good enough to be on your list?:ohwell:

How much better have you gotten anyway? I was thinking about stopping into Gamers Paradise next week just to see everyone play. Give us a rankings list for GP. It would be interesting to see who is new at the game.

Victor - Tell maze i can beat his sheik. With Zelda. That should get him out of retirement for a day.

I would be willing to throw in at least 20 bucks toward setting something up. I think if everyone can chip in we should be able to set something up. add in a pot luck and it would be awesome.
Kintehr wouldnt have to buy snacks. :)

victor2000

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone have prices? i know where we can rent a room for a day for $200. Not exactly large, but it would be sufficient.
Dear lord, that's insane. You shouldn't have to pay more than $100 for a huge tournament (max). And we're not going to pay some place to host a small smashfest for us, one of us can host. There aren't that many players in Des Moines, not enough to justify renting out some place.

Heck, I'll convince my parents to let me have a smashfest at my place before we spend $200 on some "not exactly large" room. Sheesh.

Hey, that's not a half-bad idea. How many people would come to my house for a smashfest?

Victor - Tell maze i can beat his sheik. With Zelda. That should get him out of retirement for a day.
Alright, I'll say two things on this:
1. David's Sheik probably still dominates everyone in Des Moines, barring my Fox and Falco, and perhaps Ian's Falco.
2. And that small comment won't bring him out of retirement. Believe me, if my obscene amount of smack talk won't budge him, nobody will. I'll have a tough time convincing him to enter doubles with me...

Dv02

Smash Apprentice
How about i change my approach.

I am pretty sure i can host something as long as is on a Saturday, between 7AM and 7PM. I technically have 4 TVs My brother has a GC. Ian might Contribute his. Miguel might, since I think he is close to where i live.

Victor/Ian - Conditions have improved.

If this could work, i would imagine that the roster would be:
Dv02
Fall
V2K
Miguel (and friends)
Xanithan
Z-R0
German - (Xyza actually)
With luck:
Maze
Kintehr
Zyroqwa
Joe (May be conflicting issues, however i will keep order)
Joe's Friends

I think that would be a nice roster.

victor2000

Smash Journeyman
[A thought: perhaps we should move this discussion the Des Moines thread. Oh well.]

This Saturday works for you, Tim? Post your address, I'll be there noon-ish and stay for 5 or 6 hours.

Xanithan
Z-R0
German
Joe (May be conflicting issues, however i will keep order)
Joe's Friends
May I ask who these new people I haven't heard of are? Are they any good?

Edit: I'll try to drag David along. :p
Another edit: Count me in for a cube.

kintehr

Smash Apprentice
Our KofC rents out their building for $475, just a large room and a kitchen.

We can see about making Des Moines, but zyroqwa has swim practice he'd need to reschedule and he missed last week's. It'd need a lot of luck.

Dv02

Smash Apprentice
Newcomer Event

Ok, here is the unknown Roster Players:

Xanithan - Greg - Fox|Pikachu Cousin Decent(rusty)
Z-R0 - Nathan - Link|Samus Brother Good
German - Jeremy - Ness|Little Link Good
Joe - Joe - Falco|Marth Might not come Decent
Joe's Friends:
Cody - Cousin - Marth|Samus Might not come Decent
Nick - Friend - Fox only Might not come Decent

Address is
231 E Thornton Ave South side.

Thank you for your cube Victor, and I do hope you make it Kintehr. Sucks that Gary wont make it.

Also, it starts at May 12, Saturday, 7 AM and ends promptly at 7 PM.

And Ian, I do know. I am going to cancel their invite. also, can you bring your cube? if you do we will have 3 cubes to 4 TVs Also, as for snacks, I have frozen pizza, hashbrowns, soup, and cold pop. I will be trying to record some matches on the larger upstairs TV and one downstairs via VCR.

God I hope this works out.

TehYoon

Smash Journeyman
whoa whoa this is pretty sudden, i mean i was planning on having one at my house, just a small smash-fest, if you would've given me time to plan it i could've gotten all my crew members to come, but meh, i guess i could get a few of the members to come, the twins, my friend jesse, lance, thats about it though, hopefully this works out. Jesse can bring a cube and 2 controllers (note: one is a wave-bird) and i'll bring my cube and 2 controllers, should we bring any snacks, extra games (incase we get bored or something, like that'll happen :ohwell: ) but meh just post stuff we need or something we can bring. I'm not expecting to win, but hopefully i'll fare well.

Fall

Smash Ace
Nah dont bother with any extra games unless you like halo 2 or something and only then its just nate and greg that play but ill bring some pop over

victor2000

Smash Journeyman
Quick update before I go to sleep: Two additional things have popped up since my last post. This means I may or may not be able to make it. Assuming I make it, I won't be there for long, and I'm sure I won't be able to stay 'till 7 P.M.

Sorry to everyone who hoped I was going to be there a long time. :(

SuiteFox

Smash Cadet
Our KofC rents out their building for $475, just a large room and a kitchen.

We can see about making Des Moines, but zyroqwa has swim practice he'd need to reschedule and he missed last week's. It'd need a lot of luck.

on the chance you guys are going do you think i could hitch a ride?

Dv02

Smash Apprentice
I dont actually expect anyone to stay until 7 Pm. Thats just an estimate of when poeple should be leaving by.

kintehr

Smash Apprentice
Sorry everyone, but it was too fast and we couldn't get things ironed out in time. I meant to ask if anyone else in CR was interested too... :(

All I can say is give us a week's advance notice next time, and we can probably make it then, and there's gonna be a Cedar Rapids smashfest next week.

Top Bottom