• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Adorable Assistant of ACNL: Isabelle Discussion Thread

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Isabelle used to be a character that I would just have an "eh, cool" reaction to if she got in, but I started thinking about her potential moveset what with this Vergeben leak causing a stir, and now, I actually really like the idea of her being in the game.

The idea of Isabelle using the Emotions to attack sounds so fun and adorable. The surprised exclamation point as an USmash, Laughing as a Nair, Sneezing as an Ftilt or FSmash, the ideas kept popping in my head! And Isabelle using Emotions as attacks sounds really fitting, since in a way, that can make her a representative for the neighbors, who are always pulling out those Emotions when they speak to you. And with how big Animal Crossing is, it really is deserving of a second rep, especially when Isabelle is essentially one of, if not the face of the franchise as this point. You can put me down as a supporter.
I think that’s one of my favorite parts about the Animal Crossing series is how expressive and fun the animal Villagers are. I mean I like fishing, catching bugs, customizing my house, fashion, and town. But at its core of the Animal Crossing franchise is the animals themselves and their personalities that keep us coming back everyday.

I love Villager in smash, he does a awesome job at portraying the mechanics of the series, but I feel Isabelle has the potential to portray the spirit of the series even more than Villager can.

Green_Pikmin*

Smash Journeyman
I just noticed something in Memorymans amiibo leak, not only does he mention extra spaces for Daisy and Waddle Dee amiibos but also he mentions Animal Crossing amiibos. He assumes its for the amiibo cards, though I wouldnt be suprised if he overlooked Isabelle as I assume he quickly grouped the animal crossing data he found all together.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Oh the vergeben forum

Disappeared like a ghost

Even more credit since most of time supposive leak/rumor that get deleted usually end up true

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
Well, since this character has gained some momentum lately, I might as well hop on the forum to show my support. I've never played New Leaf, but Isabelle's popularity is undeniable (especially in Japan).

Popular enough to get in MK8, which is a pretty huge deal. And she tosses bombs and weapons at characters in Mario Kart too, so I don't see how being in Smash would betray her non-violent character. Also, remember the last time a Mario Kart game got an unconventional non-Mario series newcomer? Ended up becoming a character in Smash... ROB in Mario Kart DS. I see history repeating itself here.

Plus it'd be nice to have an Animal Crossing character that is, y'know, an animal and not just another human. I would love it if Isabelle's alts were other animal townsfolk, but let's be real, it's just gonna be other outfits for Isabelle (she even has more than one Amiibo just for her other outfit... and it was even recognized in Super Mario Maker! Hah!). Echo or original, I'm all in favor of Isabelle getting in, and hope the leak is true.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Oh the vergeben forum

Disappeared like a ghost

Even more credit since most of time supposive leak/rumor that get deleted usually end up true
As I stated from the other thread, Vergeben (as DasVergeben on Reddit) said that the thread got deleted by the GameFAQs mods:

https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/92kaqv/vergeben_has_spoken_again/e37q8ko/?context=3

Either ways, Isabelle has already become one of the popular characters within the Animal Crossing franchise and it would not surprise me if she really does transition from an assist trophy to being playable for Ultimate.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I definitely think half her color swaps will be her spring/summer outfit, while the other half will be her autumn/winter outfit.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Out of curiosity, does Nintendo really promote Digby at all? He always came off as "forgotten" in comparison to the rest of the cast.
He got as many amiibos as Tom Nook and K.K, and appeared in Amiibo festival along with them.

the main reason I see it as somewhat likely is because Isabelle and Digby share a near identical body type and head shape.

Luminario

Smash Lord
I was out researching Animal Crossing games a while ago, and found this gameplay of amiibo festival, featuring Isabelle whacking a robotic Resetti with a toy hammer:

This was a very interesting thing to discover to say the least.
And they say Isabelle can't fight. Catch me bopping Ridley on the head with one of those.
He got as many amiibos as Tom Nook and K.K, and appeared in Amiibo festival along with them.

the main reason I see it as somewhat likely is because Isabelle and Digby share a near identical body type and head shape.
Well they are twins after all. It's probably more likely that she'd have an alt that references him, but it'll be super cute if he got in with his little yellow rain coat on too.

For alts, I saw that the images in the OP were broken so I fixed them. I'm only expecting the winter outfit as an actual alt, though I'd love the Kyary green checked dress

Waluigi is too big

Smash Journeyman
NNID
waluigi44
As long as her expressions are similar to Phenix Wright in Marvel vs Capcom she would be a grade A+ edtion.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Add me to the supporter list. Isabelle is definitely the best AC newcomer for Smash :).

Luminario

Smash Lord
So if Isabelle makes it into Smash, who should be the new Animal Crossing Assist Trophy?
Maybe Joan to throw you small turnips that heal you like what Isabelle does in Smash 4? or Tangy to throw oranges. Luna to send opponents to sleep, Blanca to turn into a replica of a character, Serena to turn an item thrown at her into a better item, there's a few good choices but nothing that's really obvious.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Ooh... if Isabelle gets in, what would her Final Smash be? Maybe she could summon Cyrus and Reese and then Cyrus builds an amenity from Pocket Camp and it explodes like Villager's Final Smash?

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Ooh... if Isabelle gets in, what would her Final Smash be? Maybe she could summon Cyrus and Reese and then Cyrus builds an amenity from Pocket Camp and it explodes like Villager's Final Smash?
Maybe she could plant the sapling from the begging of New Leaf and have it rapidly grow. It's an Iconic scene in the game, and the tree sort of symbolizes the passage of time and sense of growth that Animal Crossing focuses on. It could kind of work like Jigglypuff's Final Smash, where it smashes people as it grows.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
New Leaf is the biggest selling entry of the Animal Crossing franchise:

https://gonintendo.com/stories/3147...-leaf-is-now-the-best-selling-entry-for-the-e

Isabelle probably had some influence contributing to the sales.
Maybe... or maybe fans of the original Gamecube game or Wild World got it because it was a new Animal Crossing game at the time... or maybe Welcome Amiibo convinced people to get it... or maybe Villager in SSB4 hyped people enough to get New Leaf.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
I'm going to guess it did well because the series is popular and it came out right when the 3DS was really gaining traction. Couple that with it being a perfect blend of the classic gameplay and some very notable expansions and you got yourself a hit.

TailsTheAssassin

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW 4398 2362 0516
I support this. Isabelle would be the best choice for a second AC fighter, either as an echo or an original fighter.

elephant13

Smash Apprentice
Obviously I'm preaching to the choir here but I'd say Isabelle is currently the most popular Nintendo character that isn't in smash

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
You can count me as a supporter.

Admittedly, I should've vocalized my support for Isabelle a long time ago. I always expected her to get in Smash eventually (regardless of how sweet and non-violent she is), and I do like her as a character. However, I thought she would be a clone, and because of that, I hesitated.

Personally, I still believe Isabelle would work best as a semi-clone or Echo, but I shouldn't hate something I haven't seen yet. If Sakurai can make her unique enough, I'd gladly accept a non-clone Isabelle.

Luminario

Smash Lord
Playing Mario Kart 8 has got me thinking, do you lot think they'll give Isabelle actual Animalese lines? Or do you think they'll go down the silent road? I'd like her animalese lines to be actual words, like how when Isabelle gets 1st place in Mario Kart you can hear her say "yaaay~ I am number one"

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
I would imagine she'd "say" the Animalese gibberish that the all the NPC animals do. My guess is that the Villager is silent because the player characters never had an audible sound in Animal Crossing.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Playing Mario Kart 8 has got me thinking, do you lot think they'll give Isabelle actual Animalese lines? Or do you think they'll go down the silent road? I'd like her animalese lines to be actual words, like how when Isabelle gets 1st place in Mario Kart you can hear her say "yaaay~ I am number one"
It would be an absolute travesty if Isabelle didn’t speak in Animalese, I really hope they don’t go with the silent route.

Makes me wonder what some animalese lines will sound like for a fighter, like the K.O scream.

Ed-boy

Smash Journeyman
Hypothetically speaking, What if Sakurai pulled a Sakurai & gave her RL puppy noises like how Diddy Kong has stock monkey screeches for a "voice"?

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Hypothetically speaking, What if Sakurai pulled a Sakurai & gave her RL puppy noises like how Diddy Kong has stock monkey screeches for a "voice"?
Not sure I would like that. Animal Crossing puts a heavier focus on human aspects rather than those of animals. Hearing any AC character speak with RL noises like barks or meows instead of Animalese just wouldn't sound right to me.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
I’ve been out of the speculation field recently, but the news that Verge put out makes me unreasonably excited. On one hand, I still don’t have total trust in him, and I won’t until Simon Belmont makes an appearance.... but on the other hand, saying that these two characters are in, without a shadow of a doubt, is really putting his name and credibility on the line.

If he’s right, I’ll be absolutely ecstatic. Isabelle is my second most wanted newcomer, and having her join the roster would be the jolt of hype I need in these quiet times.

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
I really thought Isabelle had no chance for time, but now I'm starting to believe she seems likely even as a unique/semi-unique newcomer! The one thing I see really hurting her though is her move set potential. Obviously she can have a unique move set, but Villager already represents animal crossing really well and that might be enough for Sakurai. Still, I'd really like her in the game. Someone needs to represent the animal part of animal crossing!

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
That wouldn't be faithful to the AC games at all. Animalese is iconic to the series, its the language that they talk.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
This Vergeben leak about Simon Belmont and Isabelle made me think that maybe (assuming this is real) Isabelle would probably use the fishing pole to mirror Simon Belmont's whip in their reveal trailer(s).

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Assuming Vergeben is right, and assuming the Alola Pokémon is Incineroar...

Wouldn't it be funny if we got a dog and a cat in the same Smash game? :p

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

Uhhh… yeah... funny... not the cat I wanted...

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord

This would be perfect for me! Isabelle, Incineroar and Simon are at the top of my want list.

Top Bottom