• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Adorable Assistant of ACNL: Isabelle Discussion Thread

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
There is an irony to that video when the rater thinks her being pacifist is a con when there is gameplay footage of Isabelle in Mario Kart 8 that allows her to wreck racers with items.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
I believe the pacifist idea came from her stating she "didn't like confrontation" when being asked to address a troublesome villager in New Leaf. Her personality also comes off as super nice and would seem off for her to behave aggressively.

Earlier in this thread, ideas have been passed around to address this. One suggestion was to have her call in other characters who would attack for her, this way she wouldn't be fighting but not be defenseless. Another was to maker her attacks in function alone and give her the appearance of performing non-violent actions that have hitboxes and making her damage appear accidental.

It really shouldn't be too hard to keep her from being out of character with some clever animations and expressions.

Slyshock

Smash Apprentice
Between Your Deepest Dreams and Warmest Wishes
NNID
Slyshock
Here are some excerpts from my posts in the RTC thread about this topic.
It doesn't go over animations, but as discussed above they don't need to slap a mean scowl or psychotic smirk on every character just because they're fighting.

The pacifist claim has two problems.
One, she's not actually a pacifist by definition; She doesn't like confrontations, but when you instruct her to deal with a troublesome townie she'll buckle down and do it. Also see: Isabelle having absolutely no qualms about throwing bombs at people in Mario Kart. Two, when she says she doesn't like "fighting" she clearly means that she doesn't like divisive arguing.
If you saw the very first fight in Subspace Emissary, Mario and Kirby duel. They're not out for blood, it's just a friendly bit of sparring where the loser is immediately restored to full strength. When any given match of Smash is finished, the losers clap for the winner. Canonically speaking, Smash is a friendly game respectfully enjoyed by all parties, the exact sort of community event Isabelle would take part in. In fact, Mario Kart is considerably more of a heartbreaker; Just as violent, but last place is always sobbing.

Isabelle's series itself doesn't like fighting, and as a result it'd be unusual to see any character from it engage in combat. The Animal Crossing universe is inherently nonphysical, we haven't seen so much as contact sports outside of a few pieces of clothing and dialogue which make reference to their existence. That's not because football is considered taboo, it's just not the sort of thing the games focus on.

What I disagree with is the notion that it'd be out of character for Isabelle to partake in such festivities, so long as there was good will behind the brawling. She'd experience culture shock, certainly, but Isabelle's natural inclination to get along with others would ultimately lead her into the ring if that was how the villagers of this strange new world got along with one another.

For a good example of someone already in Smash who exemplifies Isabelle's worldview, we have Peach. She has no problem overseeing friendly fights, and she engages in quite a bit of roughhousing herself. When things are starting to get heated between parties who should be allies, however, she steps in and cools tensions. Isabelle would act similarly in these situations; The only thing holding her back is her universe of origin, which is why it takes entering other universes for this aspect of her character to shine through.

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
That is fair, but I find it very hard to picture Sakurai giving one of the biggest and most important characters in recent Nintendo history a role less than a unique fighter. The echo idea just does not sit well with me, and it does not feel like a decision Sakurai would do after critically considering all of her merits, only to plan her as a clone. It is a jarring transition to think about.
Well have to see. I can see her maybe getting a few moves that are different from Villager and I would love to have her not be an Echo clone...but chances are 50/50

Tailisu10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TailisuTheTen
3DS FC
3566-1548-8575
If it was NL Villager I would have thought that there was a chance, but with their differing body type, i'm not expecting her as an Echo.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
If it was NL Villager I would have thought that there was a chance, but with their differing body type, i'm not expecting her as an Echo.

This picture shows that Isabelle is only slightly taller than Villager in Smash 4 because of the hair. So height is a non issue.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Well I guess that's somewhat gives Isabella more ground since vergeben is currently gemusatu 2.0

But still don't hold your breath still a chance the Simon part and now Isabella is faulty

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Vergenben has yet to say anything too surprising to me yet. Simon was interesting, but after the E3 presentation, I probably would have expected him anyway.

Isabelle has been on my prediction list for a while now so it doesn't really change much here either.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
If this was real, I want a reveal trailer where Simon takes on Ridley and then Isabelle joins in. (Gameplay goes here) Then at the end Isabelle and Simon just leave the area together as friends.

nuclearneo577

Smash Journeyman
Verg is the only leaker who I trust at this point, so I'm convinced already. I'm personally not a fan of Animal Crossing, but I'm friends with several people who are so if this is true I'll be happy.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
As much as I want her, Isabelle wouldn't be that big of a surprise to me. She's already crossed over with a couple games as is, the big one being Mario Kart- all of which prove how popular she is, not to mention she's a highly demanded AC newcomer.

Not a surprise, but definitely hype.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue

Domino11332

Smash Apprentice
Honestly though she could very well go either way. Her proportions are similar enough to Villager that it would make for an easy Echo, but Animal Crossing is big enough that I wouldn't be surprised at all if she were a unique character (or a semi-clone). Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Staarih

Smash Master
I mean, I'm personally not buying into Vergeben, at least a whole 100%, but at least Isabelle is getting the time of day through this "leak" of his lol, so many seem to be sleeping on her still.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
First off, I’m sorry this kinda turned into a rant and I'm not trying to turn this into an "us vs them" mentality, but man I feel like the Smash speculation community really shows their bias when it comes to animal crossing.

If any other series received two 3DS games (one that received a major update i might add), a Wii U game, a mobile game, guest characters in major franchise like Mario kart and monster hunter, and entire amiibo toy line, you'd hear people clamoring about how this series "deserves a rep". And that is just in the recent years, Animal Crossing is a long standing and one of the best selling Nintendo franchises, only under Mario, Pokemon, Zelda, Donkey Kong, and the Wii franchise games.

As for Isabelle her self, she’s the poster girl for AC new leaf and onwards (she even runs the AC Twitter). she the main character in Amiibo festival (Villager isn’t even in that game), and received multiple Amiibo cards and figures. Heck look up the official Animal Crossing website, the first thing that pops up is Isabelle. She gets constant exposure and popularity, but to the smash community? Eh she might get an echo if she’s lucky.

I guess it just annoys me how people just straight up ignore Animal Crossing’s importance just because it’s a casual series. Like it’s a wide spread opinion that Xenoblade should get a new character because it had recent prominence and only has one character, but this doesn’t apply to animal crossing because it’s “not a real game series”. I don’t have anything against Xenoblade, and actually think it deserves/will get a character, I’m just annoyed by the double standard.

Sorry for the long winded rant.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
First off, I’m sorry this kinda turned into a rant and I'm not trying to turn this into an "us vs them" mentality, but man I feel like the Smash speculation community really shows their bias when it comes to animal crossing.

If any other series received two 3DS games (one that received a major update i might add), a Wii U game, a mobile game, guest characters in major franchise like Mario kart and monster hunter, and entire amiibo toy line, you'd hear people clamoring about how this series "deserves a rep". And that is just in the recent years, Animal Crossing is a long standing and one of the best selling Nintendo franchises, only under Mario, Pokemon, Zelda, Donkey Kong, and the Wii franchise games.

As for Isabelle her self, she’s the poster girl for AC new leaf and onwards (she even runs the AC Twitter). she the main character in Amiibo festival (Villager isn’t even in that game), and received multiple Amiibo cards and figures. Heck look up the official Animal Crossing website, the first thing that pops up is Isabelle. She gets constant exposure and popularity, but to the smash community? Eh she might get an echo if she’s lucky.

I guess it just annoys me how people just straight up ignore Animal Crossing’s importance just because it’s a casual series. Like it’s a wide spread opinion that Xenoblade should get a new character because it had recent prominence and only has one character, but this doesn’t apply to animal crossing because it’s “not a real game series”. I don’t have anything against Xenoblade, and actually think it deserves/will get a character, I’m just annoyed by the double standard.

Sorry for the long winded rant.
Really, it could be summed up as "it's a boring casual series to me so I don't like it therefore it doesn't deserve another character".

Even if the same reasons Isabelle has good odds are the same reasons they're using for Ashley (who I also want) and the same reasons they used for Inkling.

I'd like to believe that the forgotten characters like K. Rool, Isaac, and Geno could be high priority alongside Isabelle and Ashley but marketing potential will always win out in a limited lineup of newcomers. That's what it boils down to for those who aren't giving AC the time of day: preference.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
So if she gets in...

Isabelle will officially be the first female furry icon to join Smash Bros, as Krystal's an assist.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Hey man, it's the internet, they sex everything.

Anyway, uhh I guess her winter coat? The clothes she wore in that one Japanese ad with Bowser? Digby as a Koopalings/Alph deal?

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Isabelle really is more a "when" than "if" character. She really is that last A-List Nintendo character not included, and while those who say AC is too casual for Smash are welcome to their opinion, the series really has become a major flagship in the past decade or so. With a ton of promotions and merchandise, a hit 3DS title and spinoff, as well as being one of the few properties Nintendo saw fit to bring to mobile (even before Zelda, Metroid, Etc.), you can't argue that the series isn't important to Nintendo.

With that said, she's such a safe bet that I'd be less inclined to believe a leak without her than one with her. As of now, Vergeben hasn't been disproven, so we'll have to wait and see. I take all leaks with a grain of salt, but so far his record has been pretty good.

Which Isabelle alternate costume do you want in ultimate?
I'm hoping for. bare minimum, the winter outfit. Since I mostly play AC in the later months, this is the version I'm most acquainted with. I do like the idea of having alts based on the four seasons, it would be a good nod to AC's ties to the calendar.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I was out researching Animal Crossing games a while ago, and found this gameplay of amiibo festival, featuring Isabelle whacking a robotic Resetti with a toy hammer:

This was a very interesting thing to discover to say the least.

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
I can't put too much faith in vergeben; feels like they just throw a hundred darts at something and just becuz a few of them happen to stick people start treating vergeben's words like scripture :rolleyes:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Isabelle is a pretty safe pick. She is a heavily prominent character who is now the mascot of Animal Crossing.

Add me as a supporter.

Last edited:

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned it yet, but I know you posted it about Vergeben.

What's a bit interesting however is that he said that if he is not certain whenever a thing will happen or not, he will not post it. For example, he didn't post the leak about Daisy because he didn't know if she was playable or not, and she was news to him.

ZTurtle

Smash Journeyman
Isabelle used to be a character that I would just have an "eh, cool" reaction to if she got in, but I started thinking about her potential moveset what with this Vergeben leak causing a stir, and now, I actually really like the idea of her being in the game.

The idea of Isabelle using the Emotions to attack sounds so fun and adorable. The surprised exclamation point as an USmash, Laughing as a Nair, Sneezing as an Ftilt or FSmash, the ideas kept popping in my head! And Isabelle using Emotions as attacks sounds really fitting, since in a way, that can make her a representative for the neighbors, who are always pulling out those Emotions when they speak to you. And with how big Animal Crossing is, it really is deserving of a second rep, especially when Isabelle is essentially one of, if not the face of the franchise as this point. You can put me down as a supporter.

ZTurtle

Smash Journeyman
Her final smash should make her become Isabellistic.
Let’s make this a thing.
YES. She hears a window break, and then anyone who's near her?

Well. Let's just say that there Is-a-Bell that will ring for them...
CHURCH BELLS THAT IS
AND NO I"M NOT SORRY FOR THE PUN

Last edited:

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
Vergeben gives it more legitimacy to me. I was a bit confused at first, but she’s already starting to grow on me. I’m expecting her to be an echo, but I love the “emotion fighter” idea too :)

Tailisu10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TailisuTheTen
3DS FC
3566-1548-8575
I was out researching Animal Crossing games a while ago, and found this gameplay of amiibo festival, featuring Isabelle whacking a robotic Resetti with a toy hammer:

This was a very interesting thing to discover to say the least.
Always wanted for her to use the toy hammer from New Leaf

Top Bottom