• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The 949 Smash Thread: RIP PacWest

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
I was so disappointed by Another. It was pretty strong until the ending where everything went to **** and 0 questions were answered.
lol Another

at least it was good for a period instead of it just being mediocre the whole way through...:smirk:

P.S.

matt

ferrothorn is great for a large number of reasons. first of all, its grass-typing paired up with steel lets it take on both rain teams and dragon pokemon, especially with its quad weakness to fire being reduced by the incumbent weather. It is a popular pokemon to use on rain teams for its ability to set up entry hazards and Leech Seed, and it is a popular pokemon to wall Choice Specs Politoed and paralyze switch-ins with thunder wave. its main reason that it is used over other steel-types is that it has access to status moves like Thunder Wave and Leech Seed that Skarmory doesn't have in tandem with its ability Iron Barbs, which lets it easily switch in on resisted contact moves and gradually whittle away the opponent's health without even attacking. It also handles most of the offensive rapid spinners of the OU tier reasonably well, getting STAB Power Whip on Donphan and Starmie and only being able to be burned by Tentacruel via Scald. An extra bonus is that if used on a rain team, it can still do its job of setting entry hazards even if they attempt to trap you, as the strongest possible attack from a steel-trapping pokemon is a Choice Specs Hidden Power from Magnezone which is a 3hko with a fully special-defensive set, meaning you can always get your layers up before it dies.

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
Excadrill was banned to the Uber tier because of its ability Sand Rush, which doubles its speed stat. This, combined with Swords Dance and STAB Earthquake allows it to offensively tear up opposing teams, but the main reason Excadrill is good is more because of its deceptive bulk and Steel-typing, which lets it switch in on resisted Dragon attacks cleanly, then set up (think Latios, Hydreigon, etc.), as Choice-scarfed dragons can't 2hko with Draco Meteor. Its typing combined with base 110 HP means that only the strongest priority has a hope of taking it down (or changing the weather and revenge-killing it, as it's only during sand that the fun starts) and gives it free opportunities to switch in on both Toxic and Thunder Wave, meaning that it's very easy to play around its few checks until it can sweep uncontested and begin setting up on defensive pokemon like Chansey/Blissey.

For reference, the only priority that is even close to 1hko'ing excadrill is as follows:

Choice Band Azumarill's Aqua Jet (99% minimum)
Choice Band/Guts Conkeldurr's Mach Punch (95% minimum)
Life Orb Technician Hitmontop's Mach Punch (94% minimum)
Adamant CB Infernape's Mach Punch (93% minimum)

The only absolutely guaranteed 1hko is Technician Breloom, a pokemon whose new ability isn't even released yet. :p

Two sets were common when Excadrill wasn't banned, and they showcase the two sides of the same coin: Balloon SD, and Adamant LO. Air Balloon lets Excadrill switch in on Ground-type moves for free and set up a Swords Dance; this set focused on the fact that it has 600 speed if there's sandstorm and the free switch from Air Balloon to clean up opponents. Adamant LO also used Swords Dance, but capitalized on the fact that without a boosting item Excadrill fell just short of a few KO's on key defensive walls, so this set was there to **** on people since nothing except other jolly excadrill would outspeed it and end its sweep. It was "walled" by Skarmory, Gliscor, and Bronzong, but to add insult to injury it could always run Rapid Spin in the last slot to keep entry hazards off of the field, and its speed made it the fastest spinner in the tier that could beat almost any of the OU spinblockers one on one. It got to the point where literally almost every team had a Gliscor, Skarmory, Conkeldurr, Azumarill, etc., and entire teams' viability were decided by whether they could remove those checks and sweep with Excadrill or whether you won or lost the speed tie.

stabbedbyanipple

Smash Master
That's actually really interesting. I'm gonna try my hand at building a team this week after reading uP on shiz

Also sankarea is super ****. The idea of a zombie romance is really ****ing dumb but they make it work well somehow.

:phone:

JDM

Smash Champion
Just played against some Midwest smashers in my ESEA match. Sadly they had to play a man down.

OkamiBW

Smash Champion
Excadrill was banned to the Uber tier because of its ability Sand Rush, which doubles its speed stat. This, combined with Swords Dance and STAB Earthquake allows it to offensively tear up opposing teams, but the main reason Excadrill is good is more because of its deceptive bulk and Steel-typing, which lets it switch in on resisted Dragon attacks cleanly, then set up (think Latios, Hydreigon, etc.), as Choice-scarfed dragons can't 2hko with Draco Meteor. Its typing combined with base 110 HP means that only the strongest priority has a hope of taking it down (or changing the weather and revenge-killing it, as it's only during sand that the fun starts) and gives it free opportunities to switch in on both Toxic and Thunder Wave, meaning that it's very easy to play around its few checks until it can sweep uncontested and begin setting up on defensive pokemon like Chansey/Blissey.

For reference, the only priority that is even close to 1hko'ing excadrill is as follows:

Choice Band Azumarill's Aqua Jet (99% minimum)
Choice Band/Guts Conkeldurr's Mach Punch (95% minimum)
Life Orb Technician Hitmontop's Mach Punch (94% minimum)
Adamant CB Infernape's Mach Punch (93% minimum)

The only absolutely guaranteed 1hko is Technician Breloom, a pokemon whose new ability isn't even released yet. :p

Two sets were common when Excadrill wasn't banned, and they showcase the two sides of the same coin: Balloon SD, and Adamant LO. Air Balloon lets Excadrill switch in on Ground-type moves for free and set up a Swords Dance; this set focused on the fact that it has 600 speed if there's sandstorm and the free switch from Air Balloon to clean up opponents. Adamant LO also used Swords Dance, but capitalized on the fact that without a boosting item Excadrill fell just short of a few KO's on key defensive walls, so this set was there to **** on people since nothing except other jolly excadrill would outspeed it and end its sweep. It was "walled" by Skarmory, Gliscor, and Bronzong, but to add insult to injury it could always run Rapid Spin in the last slot to keep entry hazards off of the field, and its speed made it the fastest spinner in the tier that could beat almost any of the OU spinblockers one on one. It got to the point where literally almost every team had a Gliscor, Skarmory, Conkeldurr, Azumarill, etc., and entire teams' viability were decided by whether they could remove those checks and sweep with Excadrill or whether you won or lost the speed tie.
Doryuuzu/Excadrill also had X-Scissor for dealing with things you'd think would beat it out like Latios, Latias, Starmie, Hydreigon/Sazandora, Rankurusu (EQ only does a little less though), Celebi, and Azelf (which would probably get 2HKO'd by Rock Slide anyways). With 604 speed, you could revenge Blazikens (before they were banned) that had 2 speed boosts (they only reach 568 with +nature).

And you could also run a troll set for lols with Mold Breaker, Horn Drill, and Choice Scarf. :p

AntoPark

Smash Lord
It's because he's old, like a lot of the spurs.

Also, if the Hawks game is on Saturday, I definitely can't go to the tournament.

I GOTTA SUPPORT MY TEAM.

it's on sunday.

And I don't know what you edited out, but the hawks are my team, man. and it's the playoffs. AGAINST THE CELTICS.
THEIR 2008 SERIES WITH THE CELTICS IS THE ONLY REASON I'M A FAN.

ahchoomattchu

Smash Ace
Duncan and Ginobili can rightfully be called (g)old, but everyone else is either young or in their prime. The Spurs play beautiful (not boring) basketball. It's just a silly perception made by casual basketball fans and the popular media.

What I edited out on my post before the last was a Pokemon-related question for Spenser/Rob: Is non-Speed Boost Blaziken still considered Uber? Cause I don't really see why it should be.

ayo wassup sexy
;3

stabbedbyanipple

Smash Master
Irvine players actually going to a tournament more than an hour away

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

(But seriously you guys better be at G-rev on the 6th >_>)

AntoPark

Smash Lord
My sister got me a bill's, 2 keys, and a ron swanson t-shirt for my birthday!

I guess birthdays are okay even though I think they're stupid.

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
ya spurs are the best (only) team to root for cuz:

1. they're subversive (individuality yo)
2. they're intelligent (most successful nba team since '99)
3. they're humble (most important trait in the world to have imo)
4. they play as a team (*** ego)

and they have the 2nd best offensive in the league so lol @ being boring to watch. unless you find pick-and-roll and drive-and-kick boring to watch, in which case the nba isn't for you

also worth noting that gregg popovich coached at pitzer, mike brown (lakers coach) paid his dues in the san antonio system and sam presti (thunder gm) was in the spurs organization for 7 years.

stabbedbyanipple

Smash Master
who wants to take me to SB?????

I DON'T WANNA HAVE TO DRIVE EVERYONE FOR ONCE
Oh yeah, I'm carpooling with Sung and Co. because I don't want to drive 3 hours. So I really really hope you go and take Irvine because it'd be sick if you guys made it out. Also, it annoys me that I'm the only Irvine driver now anyways.

MacD

Banned via Administration
oh boo hoo, welcome to 3 years of me living in irvine

there doesn't seem to be enough interest for irvine to go, since no one posted saying they wanted to go after my post

and i am sure as hell not driving myself all that way..... guess we'll see what happens

DJMirror

Smash Master
Was fun yesterday, Jason I think you lost a lot of weight just sayin
Really? All I did was walk to school 3-4 times a week and just not going out to eat much.
It was nice seeing you, Fly, Stab & Squid again!

Oh yeah, I'm carpooling with Sung and Co. because I don't want to drive 3 hours. So I really really hope you go and take Irvine because it'd be sick if you guys made it out. Also, it annoys me that I'm the only Irvine driver now anyways.
Stab, before you learn how to drive, it was Dave first then MacD, Signia & me now it's only you

You're the only hope of Irvine Smashers! Keep driving them! And keep complaining too since that's part of the burden of being one of the Irvine Drivers!

Zhu doesn't count and I forgot about OkamiBW

Signia

Smash Lord
got accepted to UC Santa Cruz woot woot

You're not even an Irvine driver

Top Bottom