• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The 949 Smash Thread: RIP PacWest

-Rei-

Saviour of PacWest
he means now lol

i'm doing my jp paper 768/1000 characters atm

so i can't play with him

Signia

Smash Lord
spenser has beaten my mains as well... with his kirby sadface

...just outta curiosity, can a competitive soul caliber player whoop on my ***, someone who knows the mechanics and the moves of the game, but not the competitive stuff?
If you know the mechanics and moves of the game, just use the competitive mindset you have for smash. Predict what they will do and counter it, and then hit them as hard you can. Push them into bad positioning and cover multiple options if you can. These thought processes (just the ones I mentioned) apply for every fighting game. If you really know the mechanics and moves that well, it's entirely possible as a casual to just theorycraft some good strategies just by thinking about it (as opposed to trial and error). SC is just like that. There's only a few "advanced techniques" worth learning, after that it's mostly esoteric stuff. It's not like Melee, you're not gonna be like a casual running into a Falco SH lasering you and make wonder wtf can you do, and learn oh you gotta do this really hard and complicated thing oh and you need lots of experience to deal with it even then.

Unless you meant something totally different by "competitive stuff."
If you really wanted to get super serious, read this: http://www.8wayrun.com/f6/advanced-techniques-t6403/
but lol nobody has to get super into SCIV I only brought it up recently because I've been pleasantly surprised by people mentioning it and thought it'd fun and interesting to play a different game with you guys once in a while, like playing SFIV with JDM or SSB64 with others.

Yay teczero, just what we needed on this page, another loli avatar. ok yours looks pretty old oH WAIT SHE'S HOLDING A CHERRY BETWEEN HER TWO FINGERS

JDM

Smash Champion
Do you know how hard it is to study with AIM AND SWF on my computer running at the same time?

QFT. I just lost a day of writing my paper all because of the internet. I really need more time management skills.

Smashfest maybe on Friday.

Incronaut

Smash Ace
yeah man! im procrastinating right now! :(

alright thanks ryan! yeah i was just wondering haha.. and i'd be down to play SFIV with you guys too.. but i dont know much besides how to hadoken and yeah... :p

and i love dahlsim (spelling?) even though he sucks haha...

(btw im chris lolzzzzzzzz)

Signia

Smash Lord
It's like they made no effort to balance him from NGNT3 to NGNT4

In fact, he's probably even more broken because of y cancelling haha

We should play some time if you're still into it Matt.
They might have not thought it was a problem. I've been reading some weird anti-game balance arguments on SRK (shoryuken.com). Apparently broken *** mechanics and characters is what gave old games their flavor.

Though it's more likely they just think Itachi should be stronger than everyone else because he's like that in the manga/anime.

Kira-

Smash Champion
I enjoyed reading Tec0's posts =P

If you know the mechanics and moves of the game, just use the competitive mindset you have for smash. Predict what they will do and counter it, and then hit them as hard you can. Push them into bad positioning and cover multiple options if you can. These thought processes (just the ones I mentioned) apply for every fighting game. If you really know the mechanics and moves that well, it's entirely possible as a casual to just theorycraft some good strategies just by thinking about it (as opposed to trial and error).
I completely agree. I've been using the same mindsets for every competitive game I pick up. The best example is SC2 (Starcraft, not Soul Calibur). You win by first having tech skill and not messing up your opening moves, then by adding pressure, controlling space, and reacting to your opponent. The only difference is that you have to scout to react to your opponent and sometimes that is hard (or you can make it hard for them)

tell me why mewtwo is so amazing to play as
he's not he sux and doesnt have an abusable forward tilt which i realized is like my favorite move in this game

chiZZLeSD

Smash Lord
probably because his base stats are so high
HAHA yeah dude his SpA & Spe stats are ridiculous

he's not he sux and doesnt have an abusable forward tilt which i realized is like my favorite move in this game
haha ok hes not an amazing character but we were doing some random draft crews at ucsd and honestly m2 feels amazing haha.i wouldnt main him but hes def one of my favorite characters right now

OkamiBW

Smash Champion
I completely agree. I've been using the same mindsets for every competitive game I pick up. The best example is SC2 (Starcraft, not Soul Calibur). You win by first having tech skill and not messing up your opening moves, then by adding pressure, controlling space, and reacting to your opponent. The only difference is that you have to scout to react to your opponent and sometimes that is hard (or you can make it hard for them)
This is similar to almost all competitive games. Chess, fighting games, sports, real-time strategy, first person shooter. etc. "David Sig-lin" is your new nickname, Ry.

Kira-

Smash Champion
i dont know if youre joking or not :confused:

his forward tilt is pretty abusable
I can't space it as well because of Mewtwo's slippery traction and "too good" wavedash. Plus there's little reason to use it when his dtilt is better.

haha ok hes not an amazing character but we were doing some random draft crews at ucsd and honestly m2 feels amazing haha.i wouldnt main him but hes def one of my favorite characters right now
Ha I've never been able to use him well. I'd rather play Kirby who ***** all day. and SAMUS holy crap i love playing samus

This is similar to almost all competitive games. Chess, fighting games, sports, real-time strategy, first person shooter. etc. "David Sig-lin" is your new nickname, Ry.
Er yeah, I meant like the best example for a game that I play, not the best example EVER lol. But yeah that's true

GSUB

Smash Lord
dtilt IS super good,
but ftilit has good knockback at slightly higher percents, and sets up for edgeguarding and kills.
A lot of people aint too good with m2 because they don't abuse his wavedash for techchasing and getting around, etc.
His wavedash is better than his run!

Kira-

Smash Champion
dtilt IS super good,
but ftilit has good knockback at slightly higher percents, and sets up for edgeguarding and kills.
A lot of people aint too good with m2 because they don't abuse his wavedash for techchasing and getting around, etc.
His wavedash is better than his run!
um, lol. who doesn't wavedash with mew2. that's like saying a lot of people arent good with falco cause they dont laser -_-'

ftilt has trash knockback until 400%, and dtilt leads to everything which kills. nobody is scared of a mewtwo ftilting your shield lol

trufax

he's really fun even though he doesn't have a lot of tricks and just gets locked down by being too slow
i also love his forward tilt

GSUB

Smash Lord
it (dtilt) IS way faster

and yes Dave, it IS like saying that . . .
And by "who" I mean noobs who pick up Mewtwo and don't do that...
Obviously I don't mean YOU or anyone has seen a good mewtwo match on youtube and can observe things...

idc I like ftilt wither way =)

Top Bottom